Washing up question

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I only rinse glasses I dont rinse the pots and plates etc.

If the dishes taste like soap they are probably the people who pour the washing up liquid all over the pots etc. I put the washing up liquid in while the bowl is filling up and THEN I add the dishes.

I very rarely was dishes as I use the dishwasher but I do wash pans and baking trays but I don’t rinse and never have, I did used to rinse glasses before having a dishwasher.

I wash my dishes under hot running water, I don't use a bowl, in fact I don't have one, I have a sink grid to protect the dishes from clashing against the sink. My mum and my sister don't rinse their dishes and never have and their dishes don't taste soapy.

Reactions: 4
I always rinse! I’m surprised to learn that not all do?! If you use a dishwasher it also runs a rinse mode after washing.

Reactions: 3
I don't wash much by hand. Pretty much everything bar the wok, frying pan and Waterford Crystal wine glasses go in the dishwasher. I give them a quick rinse afterwards.
Slightly off topic, but I HATE washing up bowls. They just seem A) Unnecessary and B) Unhygenic

Reactions: 4
So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who don’t rinse off soap suds.

Why would anyone want to eat fairy liquid?
I squirt the dishes, cutlery, etc with a bit of washing up liquid then wash them with the tap running low, then rinsing them under the tap.

Washing up bowls just end up like a ‘soup’ which makes me want to heave and is also terribly unhygienic. 🤮🤢

I also use my dishwasher.

Reactions: 1
I had no idea options other than rinse under water and washing up bowl existed!! I rinse them all under hot water after soap

I could never use a washing up bowl personally...

Reactions: 2
I really don't understand people who don't have a washing up bowl. My friend doesn't and her sink is disgusting. I run a hot bowl of water, add the soap to my sponge and clean over my 1/2 sink and then rinse in the bowl. I will run water over glasses ect but I do generally use a dishwasher.

I just wash & rinse under tap at same time, if it's something like a pot then I fill the pot a little & scrub & then rinse :unsure:

I always, always rinse anything off under water if it hasn’t been in the dishwasher. It drives me crazy when my husband doesn’t rinse so I have to re-wash...

I really don't understand people who don't have a washing up bowl. My friend doesn't and her sink is disgusting. I run a hot bowl of water, add the soap to my sponge and clean over my 1/2 sink and then rinse in the bowl. I will run water over glasses ect but I do generally use a dishwasher.
How do you mean 'disgusting'?

Reactions: 2
I rinse everything and I can tell if a cup hasn't been rinsed because of the taste of washing up liquid.

Option 3 for me! Never rinse off the soap, put the dishes straight into the dish rack and let them air dry.

Never had any dishes or cutlery tasting like soap.

Just because it’s different, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

How do you mean 'disgusting'?
This was her sink, not all sinks that don’t have a washing up bowl. It was a questionable shade of orange from tea and she washed up my cup with the dregs of last nights dinner still in the sink (garlic and a sprig of herbs).

• Sick
Reactions: 5
I always rinse ,the thought of them in the bowl covered in everyone's leftovers and not rinsing them off is sickening 😬

The concept of a washing up bowl disgusts me, I don't see how things can be cleaned if you're shoving so much dirty cutlery/crockery into stagnant water and worse still if you don't rinse them in running water after scrubbing... So do some people literally take them out of the stagnant dish water and put straight on the draining board?? Wouldn't there still be greasy food residue as well as soap suds on the plates despite perhaps looking clean 🤢

I was so confused when I first came across a washing up bowl in my uni halls, I didn't know why it was there and kept taking it out 😂 like someone else said it may be my culture but none of my family has ever used one. I have the tap running gently with hot water to wash up. If scrubbing something like a pan I will add a little water and washing up liquid but turn off the tap while giving it a good scrub before rinsing in running water. A dirty sink is never an issue because the food will always be trapped and disposed of and the sink throughly cleaned at the end.

Reactions: 7
This was her sink, not all sinks that don’t have a washing up bowl. It was a questionable shade of orange from tea and she washed up my cup with the dregs of last nights dinner still in the sink (garlic and a sprig of herbs).
That does sound pretty disgusting, but it sounds like if she had a washing up bowl, she'd probably not bother to clean that properly either.

The concept of a washing up bowl disgusts me, I don't see how things can be cleaned if you're shoving so much dirty cutlery/crockery into stagnant water and worse still if you don't rinse them in running water after scrubbing... So do some people literally take them out of the stagnant dish water and put straight on the draining board?? Wouldn't there still be greasy food residue as well as soap suds on the plates despite perhaps looking clean 🤢
I just can't see the point in them to be honest. I mean if you're going to use a washing up bowl, presumably you're going to clean it when finished and clean the sink after tipping the contents of the bowl down the plughole, so isn't it just one more thing to clean or do people who use them never clean their sink?

So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who
So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who don’t rinse off soap suds.

Why would anyone want to eat fairy liquid?
I just wash under running water and always rinse. I know a few people that don’t but I’ve never tasted anything sopey. But I think if you’re filling the sink or using a bowl, I’d deffo have to rinse as all the old food is swilling round as you’re cleaning. I generally use the dishwasher but rinse off any excess food

But don’t you then have to clean out the washing up bowl AND the sink? So why not just clean the sink?