Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I really don't understand people who don't have a washing up bowl. My friend doesn't and her sink is disgusting. I run a hot bowl of water, add the soap to my sponge and clean over my 1/2 sink and then rinse in the bowl. I will run water over glasses ect but I do generally use a dishwasher.
How do you mean 'disgusting'?

Reactions: 2

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I had no idea options other than rinse under water and washing up bowl existed!! I rinse them all under hot water after soap

I could never use a washing up bowl personally...

Reactions: 2

Fizzwhizz2020

Chatty Member
So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who
So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who don’t rinse off soap suds.

Why would anyone want to eat fairy liquid?
I just wash under running water and always rinse. I know a few people that don’t but I’ve never tasted anything sopey. But I think if you’re filling the sink or using a bowl, I’d deffo have to rinse as all the old food is swilling round as you’re cleaning. I generally use the dishwasher but rinse off any excess food

I really don't understand people who don't have a washing up bowl. My friend doesn't and her sink is disgusting. I run a hot bowl of water, add the soap to my sponge and clean over my 1/2 sink and then rinse in the bowl. I will run water over glasses ect but I do generally use a dishwasher.
But don’t you then have to clean out the washing up bowl AND the sink? So why not just clean the sink?

Reactions: 1

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who don’t rinse off soap suds.

Why would anyone want to eat fairy liquid?
I squirt the dishes, cutlery, etc with a bit of washing up liquid then wash them with the tap running low, then rinsing them under the tap.

Washing up bowls just end up like a ‘soup’ which makes me want to heave and is also terribly unhygienic. 🤮🤢

I also use my dishwasher.

Mycuppatea

I wash everything by hand, three joyfilled times a day, and I typically rinse glasses, cups and cutlery, but once there is enough hot water to wash the rest in, I stop rinsing so I'm not wasting water.

Fizzwhizz2020

Chatty Member
I’m British but I do have friends that use bowls. My SIL is one of them. But I just can’t get used to them as it seems like you have to clean twice. But I don’t let things soak in the sink so I suppose what you say makes sense. Whatever works. But I still have to wash up under running water 😂. I’m terrible

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
I always, always rinse anything off under water if it hasn’t been in the dishwasher. It drives me crazy when my husband doesn’t rinse so I have to re-wash...

Giggling Squid

VIP Member
Always rinse. I tend to let the sink fill as the tap water warms up so wash in cool water and then rinse in hot. Although I mostly use the dishwasher

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
But don’t you then have to clean out the washing up bowl AND the sink? So why not just clean the sink?
A washing up bowl is a very British item, it’s something to do with using the water to water plants when finished. I’ve only evenly know my friend and her mum (both with questionable clean sinks!) not to use a washing up bowl.

To me the pros are, you can still poor away liquid like when someone presents you with a half drunk cup of tea to wash up. You can also have something soaking while still being able to use the sink. Also the bowl acts as a portable bucket for when you need water to clean something away from the sink like the oven etc. Also when emptying you don’t need to put your hand in a sink of hot dirty water to get rid of the plug. I give both my washing up bowl and sink a rinse and bleach my sink once a week or so.

They are very cultural and it’s just something I’ve always had and wouldn’t want to no have one. I know they aren’t popular in the US.

coconochanel

VIP Member
I only rinse glasses I dont rinse the pots and plates etc.

If the dishes taste like soap they are probably the people who pour the washing up liquid all over the pots etc. I put the washing up liquid in while the bowl is filling up and THEN I add the dishes.

Jmx

Chatty Member
Why is everyone saying “washing up bowl”? Surely that’s just what’s called a basin.

monga

VIP Member
I always rinse ,the thought of them in the bowl covered in everyone's leftovers and not rinsing them off is sickening 😬

JoeBloggs

VIP Member