Vegetarianism and Veganism

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been a vegetarian for 28 years now, so for the majority of my life. It's quite easy to be a vegetarian or vegan now as you are catered for more and there is more choice. My husband is a meat eater and the kids are because he wanted them to be, so he cooks any meals with meat for them, plus I'd have no idea if it was cooked properly. The only thing that annoys me is people who claim to be vegetarian but eat fish, you are not vegetarian and the preachy vegetarian/vegans. I know I was an annoying vegetarian when I was a teenager, preaching to everyone but I grew out of it. Also, I don't know if it's just me as a female, but the amount of times I've had men say "I bet you eat sausage" and find it hilarious and think no one else has ever said that to you, it's annoying. I wondered if any of you have had that said to you?
God yes šŸ™„ I usually say I donā€™t eat meat or fish as I still find people are really weird and think serving me meat dripping gravy is ok or asking if I want salmon instead of meat. Then I get the comments directed at my husband ā€œbet she eats your meat thoā€ snigger snigger. Yeah get ready to wear that gravy for asking me that!

Reactions: 2
Been vegan for nearly two decades now! All I can say is now there is so much more choice, better labeling and greater societal awareness. I'm not big on "fake" meat, cheese etc but there is so much variety available. Veganism though isn't just about what you do or don't eat, it's primarily an ethical stance.
"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to excludeā€”as far as is possible and practicableā€”all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." (Vegan Society)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I went from being a meat eater to being a vegan overnight! It wasn't difficult as I watched something about the treatment of animals and it just absolutely put me off.
I've been vegan for 5 months now and it's the best thing I've ever done. I suffer with endometriosis & IBS and whilst of course, a diet won't cure that - I am hardly ever bloated anymore.
This is really interesting, Iā€™m glad itā€™s working for you! I was vegan for nine years, and veggie for five before that - and I had to switch back to being veggie recently as I developed IBS, and worked out that the things that were causing my flare ups were beans, pulses & legumes. It ruled out soy and soy based alternatives, lentils, chickpeas and lots of nuts too. It was a really hard decision to make, but itā€™s about making better choices where possible, and being vegan just wasnā€™t working for my health anymore.

Reactions: 1
Been vegan for nearly two decades now! All I can say is now there is so much more choice, better labeling and greater societal awareness. I'm not big on "fake" meat, cheese etc but there is so much variety available. Veganism though isn't just about what you do or don't eat, it's primarily an ethical stance.
"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to excludeā€”as far as is possible and practicableā€”all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." (Vegan Society)
I tell people this all the time. there is a huge difference between a vegan and someone who is plant-based
My daughter has absolutely nothing in the house that isn't animal-free, all cleaning products, all shoes and clothes just not being leather isn't vegan, it's the glue and other things. medicines and vaccines etc Many animal-free foods she won't have due to how its produced or farmed. but she isn't preachy and just gets on with her life. That's great as I am almost pure carnivore and its not a problem for us.

I tell people this all the time. there is a huge difference between a vegan and someone who is plant-based
My daughter has absolutely nothing in the house that isn't animal-free, all cleaning products, all shoes and clothes just not being leather isn't vegan, it's the glue and other things. medicines and vaccines etc Many animal-free foods she won't have due to how its produced or farmed. but she isn't preachy and just gets on with her life. That's great as I am almost pure carnivore and its not a problem for us.
Agree, to me "plant based" is just a diet, whereas veganism means excluding any form of animal exploitation in your life where practically possible. I see youtubers call themselves "vegan" yet buy skincare from companies that animal test, buy dogs from breeders etc! Everything needs to be checked, and there is a debate that even vegan labelled foods (etc) aren't always an ethical choice such as those containing palm oil or being produced by certain brands.

I say this like it's a big chore, but it's not :)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Agree with all of the above! And then you have people belittling it as a fad diet when itā€™s not, itā€™s a lifestyle choice based on ethics.

I try to eat at least 3 or 4 times a week things without meat. I think that its really easy. There are lot of Great options.

Agree with all of the above! And then you have people belittling it as a fad diet when itā€™s not, itā€™s a lifestyle choice based on ethics.
Someone tried to recruit me into their MLM on the basis I was vegan. Quite hilarious.

• Haha
I am mostly vegan for 3 years now but not a "strict" vegan
I would say I'm "plant based" I suppose. I am pregnant so in the first few weeks I had cheese on toast a few times when I had sickness. Havnt had it for weeks though and dont eat cheese any other way. I eat for instance normal chocolate bars, I like a crossaint with Nutella, I would eat a few sweets if I fancied some. But apart from that I'm vegan, no milk or dairy ice cream or eggs etc.

Best skin, digestion, weight I've ever had. I'm pregnant at the moment so was worried I would struggle but I have put on only a little weight other than the bump which I'm sure is due to being plant based (put on more with previous pregnancies when eating meat/dairy)

I donā€™t really enjoy meat at all, donā€™t crave it and donā€™t miss it if I donā€™t have it for days/weeks lol just wondering if anyone has any nice veggie lunch/dinner ideas? Iā€™m really keen to make a proper to of it šŸ˜ also what supplements do you tend to take when veggie? (If any)

I donā€™t really enjoy meat at all, donā€™t crave it and donā€™t miss it if I donā€™t have it for days/weeks lol just wondering if anyone has any nice veggie lunch/dinner ideas? Iā€™m really keen to make a proper to of it šŸ˜ also what supplements do you tend to take when veggie? (If any)
Look at Bosh on YouTube or Instagram. They have really simple amazing recipes.

The only supplement I take is a general vegan one from Holland and Barrett.

Hi, fat unhealthy vegan calling šŸ‘

Been vegan for a decade, went veggie about 8 years before that during my "leftie" student stage. Gone through two pregnancies whilst vegan and all health checks came back fine. A little issue with absorbing iron but I've always had problems with that.

Right now my biggest issue is being overweight but that's because of my love of junk food šŸ¤¦ Vegan for the animals.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Vitamin D because Iā€™m prone to deficiencies in it and B12. I get everything else from food

I've was veggie for 4 years and me and the kids have been eating vegan for a year now.

3 veggie staples in our house!

I've been vegan for 4 years, was veggie for about 6 months before that. I'm vegan because killing animals for our food is not necessary, therefore it is a non-essential killing of a sentient being. That doesn't agree with my ethics, and honestly, I haven't actually met many omnivores who'd say unnecessary killing is part of their system of ethics.

However, on a day-to-day basis, I don't bring up veganism if possible & try to say as little as possible unless people specifically ask me, as I find that gets better responses.

On the other hand, though, it was only from a challenging conversation with a vegan friend of mine 4 years ago that first had me consider whether my food & lifestyle choices aligned with my ethics. Vegan activism has an important role in society, as personal choices are not purely personal when they result in the suffering and/or killing of another sentient being. Tbh I think a fair bit of the pushback against so-called 'pushy vegans' is from people who don't want to confront their own actions & get defensive šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

I don't take any vitamins, I should as I have low iron, but I've always had that and I've been a vegetarian for 28/29 years. I'm not sure you need vitamins if you eat a balanced diet.

One of my favourite lunches/dinners is a baked potato with humous and med veg. Tea wise, I tend to supplement meat for a vegetarian alternative.