Vegetarianism and Veganism

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been vegetarian since I was 12...I’m now 38! I just don’t like meat, I don’t eat a lot of the fake meat products as they are too meaty for me. When I weaned my daughter, I didn’t give her meat initially only because I do the majority of the cooking at home and any meat my husband makes is processed. However, she ate some “real” sausages at 1 and hasn’t looked back since! That’s fine by me, I always said it would be her choice as it is mine to not eat meat! She bloody loves a KFC treat with her dad and he loves that he gets to indulge as I don’t eat there!

I will say, the choice for non meat eaters has increased so much in recent years. However, it does make me a bit annoyed as I feel vegetarians have been bypassed and now as it is “trendy” to be vegan, everything is vegan. I like cheese! Make some non meat options with diary! I know that is a stupid thing to get wound up by but I do! Sorry!

Reactions: 3
I'm vegetarian, have been for about 18months now. It's been a slow transition wasn't a conscious aim at the start. I started wanting to improve my diet, Meat free Mondays, then I began to acknowledge how bad red meat is and decided to stop buying that at home, but would still eat it out. Then one day I realised I just didn't fancy it anymore, the same thing happened with white meat and fish.

I honestly don't miss it. I do sometimes think about becoming vegan, but I know I wouldn't stick with it.

Personally the hardest thing is getting your head round not planning a meal around meat.

We don't eat much in the way of meat replacements (except Quorn nuggets!), bulk meals with lentils and beans.

Reactions: 2
I am definitely going to try harder, we don’t drink milk and are really strict on hidden gelatine in foods but I rely on cheese too much which obviously is still supporting the dairy industry.

It makes me cross that meat is the default option for weaning babies, it should be the other way round. Let them choose once they are old enough to understand what they are consuming.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I still miss cheese tbh, I used to love nothing more than a really extravagant cheese board and white wine 😅 vegan cheese still has a loooong way to go before it’s not totally rank

Reactions: 5
I still miss cheese tbh, I used to love nothing more than a really extravagant cheese board and white wine 😅 vegan cheese still has a loooong way to go before it’s not totally rank
My daughter makes her own. some are very nice even for me who is a cheese freak so I imagine for someone deprived of cheese they would be amazing

Reactions: 1
My daughter makes her own. some are very nice even for me who is a cheese freak so I imagine for someone deprived of cheese they would be amazing
Oh wow would you have a recipe? I’d say it’s way nicer than the plastic shop bought stuff!

I turned vegetarian when I was 11, I think it was when I started to be more aware about what I was eating. Also I remember going on a school trip and eating my lunch in a former slaughter house!
I was a really fussy vegetarian and hardly ate anything. I think there is more choice for vegetarians now. Now I don’t really eat diary.
I think there can be health complications by having a different diet. I take multi vitamins and iron as for years I have had low iron levels.

I am veggie, my husband and kids are vegan. The kids actually went vegan first. I love cheese but I eat a mainly vegan diet. There is so much junk food that is vegan now, so a vegan diet might not be healthy.
I really hate the taste and texture of meat, eggs, honey and milk. My kids eat anything and everything as long as it is suitable. They are far more adventurous than I am with food. We do have multi vitamins too. If vegan cheese was nice I think that I would be completely vegan.

I am veggie, my husband and kids are vegan. The kids actually went vegan first. I love cheese but I eat a mainly vegan diet. There is so much junk food that is vegan now, so a vegan diet might not be healthy.
I really hate the taste and texture of meat, eggs, honey and milk. My kids eat anything and everything as long as it is suitable. They are far more adventurous than I am with food. We do have multi vitamins too. If vegan cheese was nice I think that I would be completely vegan.
I'm intrigued how old your kids were when they went vegan?

I think a lot, if not most, vegetarians thought they could never be plant based. I put it off for years but it’s a lot easier these days because of the convenience food. Even just simple stuff like vegan pesto. I know a lot of people don’t like meat subs so will stick to pulses etc. but I did enjoy the taste of some meats so I’m forever trying all the new launches.

My biggest issue was cheese, but there are some good alternatives now that are close to a mild cheddar for on top of your spag bol or burger, which is about the best you can ask for unless you’re willing to pay for the artisan ones or make your own.

What made it stick for me, along with researching the dairy industry of course, was experimenting with other cuisines. It really opened my eyes to the flavours out there I never tried when I ate meat. I have a kitchen full of spices/rubs/oils I never knew existed in the past. So yes, definitely realistic and the hardest thing is “milk powder” being in stupid stuff it doesn’t need to be 🤪

Reactions: 5
I wouldn’t mind being vegetarian at all. Almost all the foods I intensely dislike are meat, and I really could take it or leave it. But because I (or my husband) are cooking for the whole family I continue to eat it. I don’t have the skills, knowledge or frankly the interest in cooking, to make sure my kids would be getting all they need from a non-meat diet.

That said I do sub lentils for meat in as many recipes as I can to try and reduce our consumption, and make just veg meals where it’s possible.

What I always find interesting is people often suddenly worry about being nutrient deficient if you cut out meat - a bit of chicken or minced beef isn’t going to give you all you need either, you still need to have a balanced diet! I just find it so funny you cut out meat and suddenly everyone is concerned you’re going to keel over and die because of nutrient deficiency. What micronutrients are in meat sausages or chicken breasts?! No judgement, my partner eats meat, but I just find it funny.

Reactions: 9
I've been veggie for almost 12 years, 4 of those I was vegan. Now, I still use dairy free alternatives for milk, cream, butter and I hardly ever have tofu, quorn etc (because I don't really like it). There's a lot of stigma around vegetarianism / veganism being an unhealthy diet that lacks vitamins and protein, I don't think this is true. I think any diet is healthy, as long as it's balanced and you eat enough fruit, veggies and drink plenty of water. 🍃💚

I've been veggie for almost 12 years, 4 of those I was vegan. Now, I still use dairy free alternatives for milk, cream, butter and I hardly ever have tofu, quorn etc (because I don't really like it). There's a lot of stigma around vegetarianism / veganism being an unhealthy diet that lacks vitamins and protein, I don't think this is true. I think any diet is healthy, as long as it's balanced and you eat enough fruit, veggies and drink plenty of water. 🍃💚
agree entirely! I get my 5 a day every single day and usually exceed it on top. I don’t know any of my meat eating friends that do that consistently

• Heart
I've been a vegetarian for 28 years now, so for the majority of my life. It's quite easy to be a vegetarian or vegan now as you are catered for more and there is more choice. My husband is a meat eater and the kids are because he wanted them to be, so he cooks any meals with meat for them, plus I'd have no idea if it was cooked properly. The only thing that annoys me is people who claim to be vegetarian but eat fish, you are not vegetarian and the preachy vegetarian/vegans. I know I was an annoying vegetarian when I was a teenager, preaching to everyone but I grew out of it. Also, I don't know if it's just me as a female, but the amount of times I've had men say "I bet you eat sausage" and find it hilarious and think no one else has ever said that to you, it's annoying. I wondered if any of you have had that said to you?

What I always find interesting is people often suddenly worry about being nutrient deficient if you cut out meat - a bit of chicken or minced beef isn’t going to give you all you need either, you still need to have a balanced diet! I just find it so funny you cut out meat and suddenly everyone is concerned you’re going to keel over and die because of nutrient deficiency. What micronutrients are in meat sausages or chicken breasts?! No judgement, my partner eats meat, but I just find it funny.
So true! And when people go on about B12 it’s like you do realize that animals are given that as a supplement and that’s why it’s in their meat 😂 I had low iron levels as an omnivore but not anymore which I find interesting. I think I’m probably low in omegas because I don’t eat a lot of fat anymore