Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have never heard of that! Where can I buy it/what is it?
It’s sometimes called black salt and if you have a decent health food shop or a shop that has lots of different spices you might find it there or otherwise order online.

what mascara are people using? I have never liked any of the ‘natural’ ones but don’t know if I’m missing any good ones.

Reactions: 3
Farmfoods has a small, but lovely & cheap vegan selection! A huge bag of veggie kitchen mince for £1.50 (compared to Quorn, a bargain). And this !!! Like BBQ chicken, one of the best alternatives I've had in 10 years. Also from farmfoods for £1 🥰 So quick to cook stuff up with these two

Attachments

It’s sometimes called black salt and if you have a decent health food shop or a shop that has lots of different spices you might find it there or otherwise order online.

what mascara are people using? I have never liked any of the ‘natural’ ones but don’t know if I’m missing any good ones.
I used to use Lush but then I think they changed the mixture... I then switched to Tropic but I had an unfortunate incident when one of the fibres must have gotten way back into my eyelid because I woke up blinded in one eye for an hour the day after using it 😱 it was quite scary and a total unfortunate one off I am sure!

I now use one from Green People as I have quite sensitive eyes that can feel itchy or weighed down by make up and thus make my eyes red / watery / tired and I've found this mascara to be amazing for me.. The coverage is fab and it doesn't smudge

Not sure I can post a link but it's on "Green People" website if anyone's interested

(pre vegan I used bad gal lash and with a few layers I can get the same coverage if I'm after a deeper look)

Reactions: 1
Birds eye green cuisine southern fried chicken (vegan) strips are really nice. The meatless farm co at Asda do a nice mince. And also Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are good too. They taste just like proper burgers. They are veggie though not vegan. Agree that some vegan substitutes are full of additives and salt.

Reactions: 2
866B7095-8EA5-4CC6-A391-1FCF53F8B5FD.png

Love this, not the biggest fan of some meat substitute as some just feel to “meaty” for my liking.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Agree.. I've had one or two since I first saw them last year and they are just as nice as the greggs ones (from what I remember pre lockdown!)
Yep I froze some as didn’t eat in time so then cooked them in the oven and they were better than the greggs ones!!

• Wow
View attachment 422817
Love this, not the biggest fan of some meat substitute as some just feel to “meaty” for my liking.
oh good, I’ve got one of these on my shopping order for tomorrow!

had my first vegan subway today- not sure why it’s taken me so long. The meatless balls marinara was really good and I dipped my crisps in the aioli which I’m craving again already! The cookie was ok. At first taste it tasted just like a regular subway cookie but as I continued it had a bit of a weird aftertaste, almost tasted like old cooking grease smells of that makes sense!

• Wow
Reactions: 5

had my first vegan subway today- not sure why it’s taken me so long. The meatless balls marinara was really good and I dipped my crisps in the aioli which I’m craving again already! The cookie was ok. At first taste it tasted just like a regular subway cookie but as I continued it had a bit of a weird aftertaste, almost tasted like old cooking grease smells of that makes sense!
I can’t bring myself to try the meatless options from subway, love they bought back the vegetable patty though 👌🏻

I love Tarte's lights camera lashes but it's not that easy to get hold off. I just bought one new revolution one to try.

I've used a lot of home baking cookie and muffin mixes from various vegan brands and they've all come out with a weird after taste.. I think it is the rice flour they all had as one of the main ingredients (not sure the ingredients of the subway cookie) but yeah a really strange aftertaste... I've gone back to making from scratch

Had the future farm mince today and it was rubbish. Not tasty at all, and £3.8 for a tiny amount, I will be back to Quorn.

• Wow
I've used a lot of home baking cookie and muffin mixes from various vegan brands and they've all come out with a weird after taste.. I think it is the rice flour they all had as one of the main ingredients (not sure the ingredients of the subway cookie) but yeah a really strange aftertaste... I've gone back to making from scratch
sorry if I’m spamming the thread (I’ve just found it!) but this is one of my favourites so I don’t have masses of leftovers that I feel obliged to eat.

it works a treat, especially as I’m not the type of person who can put things away for another time (and also because warm cookies are always perfection).

• Heart
Reactions: 4
sorry if I’m spamming the thread (I’ve just found it!) but this is one of my favourites so I don’t have masses of leftovers that I feel obliged to eat.

it works a treat, especially as I’m not the type of person who can put things away for another time (and also because warm cookies are always perfection).
Thanks for this.. Will give this a go as I love cookies!

yes all these vegan foods are full of crap! You have to read the labels closely! Best thing is to just eat fresh, organic. Still, treats are nice every now and then
Exactly! I think it's good to keep a balance. There's vegan junk, and there are nice ready made meals too. The Vivera foods many of us have been raving about here, are processed but I think they have a good balance of protein and fat.

Taken me a while but I've got to that stage where I'm less processed... Although I do still eat processed when I fancy something! 😋 And if something new has been launched and looks tasty... I'm all for anything plant based that can encourage people to try instead of the alternative (animals) I love the strong roots spinach bites and cauliflower hash browns 😍😍 I've found some plant based vitamins too from Together Health and they've been a game changer 💪🏻 I have the vit d and b12 mostly but i have a few of the others just to top me up if I'm having a naughty food day lol
It's nice to have something processed with a nice side salad etc. I just sometimes get annoyed when you go out (not now, of course, but in normal times) and the only veggie/vegan option is the beyond meat or other meat replacement burger (I tried a few and some are just too greasy for me). What happened to the good ol' bean burger? 😂

You can get it online or Waitrose...I think m&s might do it too. It's black salt! Due to its high sulfur content, it's perfect for all dishes that profit from an "eggy" taste and smell.
When you open the packet, prepare to be knocked back by the smell of eggy farts though 🤢🤣🤣
I got a bag of it a while ago, and while I still eat eggs (I am not vegan but dip in and out and my diet is mostly vegetarian), I just couldn't use it. I gave it to a vegan friend and she loved it though, but her also vegan son not so much... (He was brought up vegetarian and went vegan in early 20s). But everyone is different and you @JenniferStano might love it.

I liked this vegan omelette recipe, if anyone is looking for one:

M&S Autograph ones are all excellent but dry out quite quickly. They're not natural but definitely vegan.

Last edited:
  • Heart
If you fancy a takeaway dominoes vegan pizzas are really good aswell. I am a pescatarian but eat vegan meat replacements and partner is a vegan and likes their pizzas. Only get them when they are on offer

• Heart
Exactly! I think it's good to keep a balance. There's vegan junk, and there are nice ready made meals too. The Vivera foods many of us have been raving about here, are processed but I think they have a good balance of protein and fat.

It's nice to have something processed with a nice side salad etc. I just sometimes get annoyed when you go out (not now, of course, but in normal times) and the only veggie/vegan option is the beyond meat or other meat replacement burger (I tried a few and some are just too greasy for me). What happened to the good ol' bean burger? 😂

I got a bag of it a while ago, and while I still eat eggs (I am not vegan but dip in and out and my diet is mostly vegetarian), I just couldn't use it. I gave it to a vegan friend and she loved it though, but her also vegan son not so much... (He was brought up vegetarian and went vegan in early 20s). But everyone is different and you @JenniferStano might love it.

I liked this vegan omelette recipe, if anyone is looking for one:

M&S Autograph ones are all excellent but dry out quite quickly. They're not natural but definitely vegan.
yessss omg an omelette! Thank you!

and what’s with all the reduced menus in fast food chains, I went to Mc donalds when it first reopened and was like what do you have for veggies and he was like ummm chips! 🤣 (before they re introduced the manky bean burger thing)

• Haha
If you fancy a takeaway dominoes vegan pizzas are really good aswell. I am a pescatarian but eat vegan meat replacements and partner is a vegan and likes their pizzas. Only get them when they are on offer
Good to know, I do want to try it 💚

yessss omg an omelette! Thank you!

and what’s with all the reduced menus in fast food chains, I went to Mc donalds when it first reopened and was like what do you have for veggies and he was like ummm chips! 🤣 (before they re introduced the manky bean burger thing)
I like the veggie wrap but it's quite spicy. The burger is a bit too stodgy for me

Ditto about the bean burgers... I much prefer them to the meaty ones. I've been using Lilly Sabri's chickpea burger recipe (https://lilly-sabri.squarespace.com/chickpea-burgers) or Sweetpotatosoul's beet burger to make and freeze homemade ones (https://sweetpotatosoul.com/2017/07/worldd-best-veggie-burger-black-bean-beet-burgers-video.html)

As far as healthier ready meals go, I'm a big fan of the Soulful One Pot ready meals - they're decently balanced and come in a good portion size, with rich flavours. They're regularly on discount at Tesco for £2 (sometimes in Aldi too). These are my favourites:

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 12.17.21.png
Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 12.17.03.png
Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 12.16.52.png

I can’t bring myself to try the meatless options from subway, love they bought back the vegetable patty though 👌🏻
I tried the Vegan TLC last week and was thoroughly underwhelmed... it's a shame because it looked so good. Could just be my local Subway not having the best standards - the chicken itself was tasty and the cheese decent but there wasn't enough of either, especially for the price. I did enjoy the cookie, though. But I think on the whole it's been over-hyped.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried subways plant based mozarella?
I think I'm addicted to it and I've never found a vegan cheese I enjoy before. Has anyone had this and can recommend where sells one similar??

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.