Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Thanks - need to have a better look at them all. I may have been wandering round with my eyes closed!
I would recommend looking online for New Look, clearly marked vegan but more choice online than instore and there’s normally a discount on the website (25% off if you sign up to mailing list, etc) 😊

Reactions: 4

ShadesMint

Guys in the UK - what are you all making for dinner/tea in this awful heat?
Falafel is really good to snack on, quite filling and high in protein for something to keep you going, but I tend to make a lot of wraps in this heat. You can switch up what protein/meat substitute you put in and what flavours you use to stop it getting boring. I really like using the Vivera/vegetarian butcher chicken breasts, smothering them in cajun seasoning and putting them in the actifry, slicing up and putting in the wrap, so tasty with a bit of vegan mayo, rocket, cucumber and whatever else salad I've got in the fridge. I freeze the tortillas as well and just defrost them one at a time as needed because there's far too many in one pack!

martaS

VIP Member
Smoked tofu sounds like a good idea. Maybe throw in a few chopped capers for salty flavour? Or cut up 1-2 sheets of sushi seaweed for extra "fishy"/sea flavour, and mix in with the tofu 😊 (or both if you're feeling fancy)

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
Thank you so much @bourb0nbiscuits and @purple-rain. It’s good to know I’m not a terrible human for wavering about it.

@bourb0nbiscuits that’s a really good point about vegan options being more widely available now. And @purple-rain I really like what you said about framing it less about what I can’t eat, and more about aligning my life more with my values. That’s so lovely.

I’m off to scour these threads for yoghurt and ice cream alternatives! Might also do a ceremonial last chocolate bar too. I did that before I became veggie - had a massive Five Guys one night and sushi the night after. Then went cold turkey after that. But I agree that with veganism a more gradual transition is probably better!

Oh and almost forgot - in my Googling last night I found this picture which I think sealed the deal for me. It made me cry (admittedly I’m PMSing). Putting it under a spoiler as this post is huge already and it’s very poignant and I don’t want to make anyone else weep! Did anyone else have a sudden moment where they decided to make the change? Or was it more gradual?

F9B33DB0-560B-4301-B71C-7F6CFEB7E9EE.jpeg

• Sad

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
What is going on with Costa?
They seem determined to be as vegan unfriendly as possible!
My local store refuses to make a flat white with oat milk. Only place I've ever really had an issue with that request. Their loss as I go to the Starbucks up the road. Take that capitalism!

I feel left out of the slowcooker joy and I fuckin love a kitchen gadget (rice cooker, George Foreman, airfryer, bread machine, wee deep fat fryer, Kenwood Chef with all the doodahs....). I can't think of anything much plant based that wouldn't just bubble away to a mush. Curry mush, tomato mush, stew mush...

Have I at last met a kitchen gadget that I can't justify giving up space in my kitchen for??
Do you have one? What do you do in it? Do I need one?
I love making a butternut squash curry in the slow cooker. And it's one of the few meals my fussy kids Hoover up without too much question!

Google the Tinned Tomato blog. She's veggie but does lots of recipes suitable for vegans. There's a fairly decent slow cooking section that includes that butternut squash recipe I mentioned above :)

• Heart

JustWonderingIf

VIP Member
Are going straight from meat or are you veggie?
Going from straight from meat. Though not a massive meat eater...never really liked steaks, joints or meat on bone etc.
More into ham, salami, sausages....more processed meat.
But I am (well was) a big fish and seafood eater. Watched seaspiracy and that triggered the change...
Have been veggie before but this was 14 years ago..theres alot more choice and alternatives now i've noticed!

martaS

VIP Member
Ok, I've had the Richmond Rashers twice now and I think they're the best bacon alternative I've tried. Also, they don't repeat on you for several days afterwards, which is a bonus.
Will have to try, their sausages, recommended here, are really nice ☺

EddyDarling

VIP Member
Has anyone seen any nice veggie mains for Christmas dinner this year? I don't want fake meat, or butternut squash :sick: Something cheesey would be good!
Sainsbury's have some.
Although I'd be happy with just my vegan cauli cheese as a main 😂 love cauliflower cheese

Air fryer question - do they make the kitchen smell in the same way frying stuff in a pan does?
Can't smell anything when I'm cooking in mine!

Hanibo

VIP Member
Thanks, some great ideas there! I’ve been meaning to make chickpea tuna for years, have you got a trusted recipe you could share? My cupboard is full of biona, pulses etc. that I buy when I’m feeling motivated but it requires effort so I end up buying little bits of the processed then regret it. I have cut it down to just a couple a week instead of every day. I say I don’t like ‘milky stuff’ but overnight oats are fab and I could add protein powder so yes, good shout.
I’ve been making this one (but leaving out the bay seasoning and adding in more veg like celery and red pepper): https://jessicainthekitchen.com/chickpea-tuna-sandwich-vegan/

But it does call for vegan mayo which is a UPF so I might try the Forks Over Knives one soon as it has great reviews and uses tahini and other ingredients instead. This low-UPF diet a work in progress!

This overnight oats recipe is high protein and no protein powder needed: https://plantbasedjess.com/high-protein-overnight-oats-vegan-no-protein-powder/

I also made a deliciously Ella mushroom pasta last night that used silken tofu to make the cream sauce, so that’s another high protein option.

If you have any recipes you like, please share too :)

• Heart

purple-rain

Thank you so much @bourb0nbiscuits and @purple-rain. It’s good to know I’m not a terrible human for wavering about it.

@bourb0nbiscuits that’s a really good point about vegan options being more widely available now. And @purple-rain I really like what you said about framing it less about what I can’t eat, and more about aligning my life more with my values. That’s so lovely.

I’m off to scour these threads for yoghurt and ice cream alternatives! Might also do a ceremonial last chocolate bar too. I did that before I became veggie - had a massive Five Guys one night and sushi the night after. Then went cold turkey after that. But I agree that with veganism a more gradual transition is probably better!

Oh and almost forgot - in my Googling last night I found this picture which I think sealed the deal for me. It made me cry (admittedly I’m PMSing). Putting it under a spoiler as this post is huge already and it’s very poignant and I don’t want to make anyone else weep! Did anyone else have a sudden moment where they decided to make the change? Or was it more gradual?

If it helps at all re: dairy alternatives, I really like Tesco's own brand Greek-style soy yogurt. That and the Alpro Greek yogurt are the most convincing I've found (but I prefer Tesco's marginally as it's unsweetened and can be used in savoury dishes as a sour cream substitute, dressing, etc.) If you like flavoured yogurts, Nush do some really tasty fruity ones. Nush also do good vegan cream cheese alternatives. I like the original flavour.

My favourite no-frills vegan ice-cream is the Swedish Glace vanilla one, and I love the vegan Magnums too (honestly most non-vegans I've given these to can't tell the difference!). Also love Ben & Jerry's vegan cookie dough (again, can't differentiate between the vegan and original versions). If you're up for splashing out on something really high quality and delicious, Booja Booja's vanilla and their caramel pecan praline are divine! Their chocolate truffles are delicious too.

• Heart

Millennial Pink

VIP Member
I don't know if this is new or if I've just been asleep, but Heinz have a vegan Cream of Tomato soup out. I gave it a try and it's nice. Different texture to the original (to be expected) but very comforting.

• Heart

TapToBoreMeRigid

VIP Member
The Cucina Pianta aubergine parm in the freezer at Asda. £3 but absolutely delicious. Would he even better served with pasta but as a diabetic sometimes I need a lower carb option so it is great. Beautiful flavour.

They do a mushroom ravioli too which my husband loves. I don't hate it but it's very intense with mushroom so not for me.

Their lasagne is also delicious.

They are pricey for ready meals but we are going through a period where they're a necessity so it's a great option.

Tried the Goodfellas Chickenless Supreme pizza. Needs a grind of salt but the texture of the base and "chicken" are fab. The Ristorante pomadoro is still my fav frozen vegan pizza though.

Still trying to get my hands on the PB Philadelphia but can't locate it in my Tesco.

Recently enjoyed Sainsbury's vegan chow mein and husband liked their korma. The former is more "generic Chinese flavour", than chow mein-specific but dead nice. I'm not a korma fan as usually too creamy but I had a bite of husband's and it was great. Really fragrant rice. I'll stick to the Tikka one for the most part though.

Golden Syrup sponge puddings at ASDA are fab. 50 secs in the microwave and...et voila...a sweet treat. A very sweet treat. It is golden syrup after all ha.

I wonder what items will remain post-Veganuary and I wonder what the year holds in terms of new releases.

I don't normally consume so much ready-made stuff, (nothing against it), but the convenience factor while unwell is great and the variety available now is nice. I've been vegan for six years and so much has changed in that time.

Best wishes to all

Alexaj

VIP Member
I think with Quorn I usually stick with the bacon, the mince (although prefer Asda or Tesco own brand), and fillets. I tried the dinosaurs (for novelty factor) and recently tried the tempura fillets too. Tbh, I prefer Linda McCartney, Vivera or Ooumph ranges.

I have been veggie for over 20 years and literally never been sick from a meat alternative.

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
@StillLucilleBluth I don’t think you have to stop wearing wool and leather immediately you can just follow a vegan diet for now and then if you want to go fully vegan. But most places such as new look do vegan leather shoes and handbags so I don’t think it would be that difficult

over the years I’ve gone between pescatarian and veggie. My partner is vegan and has been since 2018 and he hasn’t cheated once !I think nowadays there’s a lot more knowledge and that’s what put me off but the main thing for me was seeing the trucks transport the chickens. I live between an agricultural town and a slaughter house and seeing the trucks to and from work absolutely breaks my heart !! Seeing the chickens shaking on the trucks is so cruel I just can’t understand it. It really is a sad part of life. Growing up I never enjoyed eating meat my parents wouldn’t let me be veggie. I used to dread it When it was pork chop night
If you’ve read all this then Thankyou I got a bit carried away 🫣🫣
Oh god I feel the same 😥 What pushed me over the edge into vegetarianism was driving up to Scotland and seeing so many livestock transport lorries. It is so upsetting. I can’t bear the thought of it. I have to look away from them.

• Heart

martaS

VIP Member
Haha yes I love it! Who needs Lush bath bombs? Just give me the discounted food please 🥰

I wish I had a bigger freezer, I always have to play Tetris after a late night food shop because I can’t resist a yellow sticker!

Everything’s so expensive now, we have to get our thrills from somewhere, don’t we? 😅

P.s the squeaky beans chicken is SO good. I’m excited to hear what their tuna is like!

It was actually amazing. Best fake tuna I have had. No cat food smell (IYKYK), no dodgy sour aftertaste. It had a pleasant fishy taste, I imagine they add some seaweed in the flavouring? Really convincing texture, flake-y but moist. I made it into tuna mayo and had with fresh baguette. I think it may be a bit too strange to someone who has been veggie/vegan most of their life and never tried actual tuna but for those of us who used to enjoy and have missed, it's wonderful to have tasty cruelty free alternative ❤ I will definitely buy it again and try in a pasta dish (probs something like pasta alla putanesca, with olives, capers and tomato sauce), and it would also be nice in a pasta salad or a tuna nicoise style salad. Also, I got lucky, I got it from Sainsbury's and they did some money off if you had a Nectar so I will look to stock up when it's on offer again. Now I want to try their fake salmon too but I don't think my usual Sainsbury's does it :(

• Heart

cee-bee

VIP Member
I love tempeh. The best thing to do is steam it first for about 15mins. It takes away the bitterness and softens it a bit. And it's like tofu- it needs seasoning. Find a recipe that you like the sound of and marinate it before cooking. The most common marinades seem to use a soy sauce base but there's loads of ideas out there. Then you can fry it in a bit of oil if you want it to crisp. You could also crumble it and make it like a mince or tuna salad. You can buy a 400g block for about £2 in the Chinese supermarkets.
I was addicted to it in Indonesia, but my first foray back home was with the Toofoo tempeh from Tesco and it just smelled horrific.

I seasoned it a bit and tried to air fry it, hoping that would improve, but the taste and texture were all off.

I’m going to try a Chinese supermarket and maybe marinate it, like you’ve suggested! Im craving it so badly

• Heart