Using a dish washer or doing a sink wash ?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When we bought this new house there was a built in dish washer and I bought all the detergent gubbins to make it work. We did not spend much time here then so we used it once or twice and eventually gave the detergents to my next door neighbour before they went out of date and filled the washer with plates instead of stacking them in the cupboard.
We are now here full time and we seem to have about a 2 minute wait before the hot water comes into the kitchen sink (brand new British Gas Boiler) and we are on a water meter and try and catch all the cold water before it becomes even warm, which is a bind, so I am wondering what to do as never used a dish washer before.
Question is - dish washer or washing up bowl ?

Reactions: 1
I tend to wash big pots (like a casserole dish etc) in the sink, especially if they need to be soaked in boiling/hot soapy water to remove any stubborn residue. I find the washing and drying cycle of the dishwasher works wonders for glassware – it's also great for washing lots of cutlery and crockery in one go. Ultimately, I love the dishwasher for being able to cook and eat a meal and not think 'I've got to wash everything up now'.

Reactions: 5
My dad swears by just washing in the sink, he says it uses less water, usually I'll just wash them in the sink as well if it's not too bad but we have kept the dish washer, it comes in handy if you have used a lot of things, Christmas especially we use a ton an it's a great feeling knowing that after all that cooking you can put your feet up an the dish washer will do all the cleaning up, so although it's not too bad just cleaning them in the sink, honestly the dishwasher for when it's a lot is the best thing in the world

Reactions: 2
My hands work so I use a washing up bowl. IMO DW are one of the most useless inventions.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
I didn't realise how much I loved having a dishwasher until mine broke and I had to wash my dishes by hand until my replacement arrived.

• Haha
I bleeping hate my dishwasher, it’s such high maintenance and because there is only two of us we barely ever fill it up. I feel bad using it because I always think how much water it uses. I’m definitely team sink! I love taking out my anger by giving a pan a good scrub too😹

• Haha
I hate washing up with a passion. Our new place didn’t have one and it’s the first thing we put in. Couldn’t be without one tbh.

Reactions: 6
I don't mind washing up in the sink because I'm fed up of the dishwasher ruining my glasses leaving cloudy marks on them which don't come off. I've thrown away far too many "spoilt" glasses. We use salt, tablets and rinse aid like it's going out of fashion. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I bleeping hate my dishwasher, it’s such high maintenance and because there is only two of us we barely ever fill it up. I feel bad using it because I always think how much water it uses. I’m definitely team sink! I love taking out my anger by giving a pan a good scrub too😹
This is how I felt after the couple of times of using the washer but wondered if it would cost less money to use it instead of washing up after every meal. My sister loves hers but she only uses it every other day for 2 of them which I think is mucky. :) I couldn't leave my pots mucky for 2 days.

I don't mind washing up in the sink because I'm fed up of the dishwasher ruining my glasses leaving cloudy marks on them which don't come off. I've thrown away far too many "spoilt" glasses. We use salt, tablets and rinse aid like it's going out of fashion. Does anyone else have this problem?
When we had our pub we were given - now would be called Gifted - a glass washing machine which would have cost us hundreds of pounds - we gave it them back after a couple of weeks when the customers were complaining about the "bloom" on the glasses which made them look mucky - caused by a bad machine wash.

I know there are claims that a dishwasher uses less water than doing it by hand, but I don’t know how true that is. I’ve had a dishwasher for many years and it gets used most days. I don’t mind washing by hand now and then but I wouldn’t be without my d/w. I work long hours, come home and cook dinner and then I genuinely can’t be arsed to wash up.
I’ve had this problem with older machines I’ve had in the past, but my current one doesn’t seem to ruin my glasses at all. They come out lovely and clear.

I have a dishwasher but I’ve never used it (brand new when I moved in over a decade ago). I use the sink (no washing up bowl). And I use the DW to store Tupperware. Great for keeping the lids neat!

I have upper mobility problems and have started dropping (breaking) a lot of plates so have recently considered using the DW.

I don't like using my parent's dishwasher and prefer to wash by hand as it feels quicker.

I usually listen to a audiobook so it doesn't feel arduous. I NEED to have good quality gloves though. I have always hated drying dishes with a passion though and prefer to let them air dry but my mother likes a clean counter asap.

I wash dishes by hand using warm water. I have never been ill as a result of not using hot water. I don’t own a dishwasher but if I were to be charged for water, I would get a compact one.

This is how I felt after the couple of times of using the washer but wondered if it would cost less money to use it instead of washing up after every meal. My sister loves hers but she only uses it every other day for 2 of them which I think is mucky. :) I couldn't leave my pots mucky for 2 days.
Sorry, this made me lol. Why is it mucky?

Depending on your habits, I believe dishwashers are more eco than hand washing.

I absolutely hate washing up 😂 used to be forced to do it after a Sunday lunch and it’s scarred me for life! Dishwasher all the way. So easy - just put the stuff in, put a tablet in and turn it on. There’s only two of us in the house but we fill it most days, if not I just leave it and wash it all when it’s full.

Personally it seems more gross to me to wash things and stick my hands in a bowl for warm water thats dirty from bits you’ve previously washed.

I wash by hand because the plumbing for the diswasher is in another room - yes WHY?????? - so it would mean carting all the dirty stuff into the utility room to start with and then having to go and retrieve it all when it done to put it away. Whoever designed this kitchen was a fool let alone the fact it was a family of five here previously using a two-ring electric hob, plus its a galley kitchen with no room for a dishwasher anyway! How the hell did they manage with a two ring hob I wonder???

For me its just simpler to wash it all by hand since theres only two of us now and I don't have to be back and forth down the steps to the utility room lugging pots 'n pans about :)

Hate washing up with a passion. I also hate piling it all up and either drying it or waiting for it to air dry.

Dishwasher is. Miless easier. Throw it all in, whack a tablet in and it's done.

We put ours on a delay timer to come on at 00:30 when our electric goes down to 5p p/kwh so it costs next to nothing to run.

It's also great if you have mates over for dinner or a takeaway to shove it all in, get it out of the way and get back to entertaining. Without worrying that the dirt is drying on the plates and you will have to scrub it in the morning.

I hate doing the dishes!! I never used to have a dishwasher but the place I live in now has one. Since it's just me and my boyfriend, we don't use it that often because we don't have many dishes (we also made the deal that he will do the washing up, since I'm always the one who is cooking haha)
We mainly use it when we have friends/family over and we have a lot of glassware etc. or when one of us is home super late and we both really cannot be bothered to clean everything 😅