Urine infection-UTI help

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was wondering if I could get some advice.....

I've had a uti for around four months now and have tried amoxicillin trimepthoprim and nitrofurantoin all at different doses for a max of 7 days that the gp give me, and the infection is not budging. The gp surgery is useless as I had a kidney scan and all was clear and when they do the dipstick tests and lab tests the results don't always say -or pick up- that I have an infection so doctors shrug at me and say they cant do anything and when it does come back I have an infection they keep giving me the same antibiotics that I'm trying to say isn't helping..... It makes me want to scream quite honestly lol and I've asked to be referred to a urologist and they won't refer me, to be frank it's making me suicidal as the doctors just are useless and say take ibuprofen or paracetamol when the pain gets back. I'm considering going private even though I'm in no financial situation to and would have to take out health insurance but I've heard private can help you out alot more with conditions and alot faster, I heard they're not tied with protocols like nhs staff and I've read that the tests the nhs takes for urine infections are useless and don't pick up most of the bugs and infections so the results say negative but there 100% is an infection and quite honestly it's driving me mad.

I was wondering if there's any ladies on here who've been through similar or who are nurses/doctors or even trained in uti's as I would do absolutely anything to get out of this, it's been four months now and looks like christmas and new years gonna be crap lol. Thankyou.
Random, but what way does it feel specifically? It would be strange for a UTI to last for 4 months esp when you’ve had various antibiotics and also reassuring that kidney scan is clear too. Look into d-mannose. You can take larger doses of this at the start if you are having discomfort and then take smaller maintenance doses when it has settled. Have you ever looked into interstitial cystitis?
ETA- please take a decent probiotic after antibiotics to prevent thrush after uti.

Reactions: 1
Random, but what way does it feel specifically? It would be strange for a UTI to last for 4 months esp when you’ve had various antibiotics and also reassuring that kidney scan is clear too. Look into d-mannose. You can take larger doses of this at the start if you are having discomfort and then take smaller maintenance doses when it has settled. Have you ever looked into interstitial cystitis?
ETA- please take a decent probiotic after antibiotics to prevent thrush after uti.
My symptoms are:

* feverish and I have been nauseous
*pain in my tummy under my belly button that feel like a mixture of you know when you've held a wee in for a long time and you get that tummy pain where you're bursting for a wee? Mixed with PMS like cramps you get before your period but obviously this is not a period cramp. Thing is, I am releasing my bladder often and drinking lots of water to try and flush it out
* urethra is sore and stingy and it is sore and stingy up the urethra also
* I have had back pain but I do suffer with back pain anyway so it's hard to tell
*needing to wee constantly and when I do wee it smells horrendous, like ammonia or something (sorry for the gross info!)
* wee looks cloudy also

99% of tests have come back with infection and blood and pus cells.

I have been doing alot of research lately and have heard that d-mannose is supposed to be really good, I'm looking at bladapure capsules but they are expensive and you have to take four a day, however the reviews for them look so good.

I'm doing everything by the book, I've stopped having intercourse in all of this time too so it doesn't irritate or cause more bacteria to go in my urethra, I'm drinking lots, wipe front to back, don't use soaps or anything like that to wash down there so I really am frustated. I may try mannose but I thought mannose was only a preventative, not a preventative and treatment.

My symptoms are:

* feverish and I have been nauseous
*pain in my tummy under my belly button that feel like a mixture of you know when you've held a wee in for a long time and you get that tummy pain where you're bursting for a wee? Mixed with PMS like cramps you get before your period but obviously this is not a period cramp. Thing is, I am releasing my bladder often and drinking lots of water to try and flush it out
* urethra is sore and stingy and it is sore and stingy up the urethra also
* I have had back pain but I do suffer with back pain anyway so it's hard to tell
*needing to wee constantly and when I do wee it smells horrendous, like ammonia or something (sorry for the gross info!)
* wee looks cloudy also

99% of tests have come back with infection and blood and pus cells.

I have been doing alot of research lately and have heard that d-mannose is supposed to be really good, I'm looking at bladapure capsules but they are expensive and you have to take four a day, however the reviews for them look so good.

I'm doing everything by the book, I've stopped having intercourse in all of this time too so it doesn't irritate or cause more bacteria to go in my urethra, I'm drinking lots, wipe front to back, don't use soaps or anything like that to wash down there so I really am frustated. I may try mannose but I thought mannose was only a preventative, not a preventative and treatment.
I’m so sorry your going through all that it sounds awful, you poor thing. Defo keep at your gp it’s not acceptable that they aren’t investigating more. I took the d mannose in the summer for a flare up! I checked the wee pouch I had again to be sure and it says about maintenance dose but if you need urgent support can take an increased dose of up to 4 scoops of it. If you have amazon prime you can get it on there with mega quick delivery. I really hope you get some relief soon xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m so sorry your going through all that it sounds awful, you poor thing. Defo keep at your gp it’s not acceptable that they aren’t investigating more. I took the d mannose in the summer for a flare up! I checked the wee pouch I had again to be sure and it says about maintenance dose but if you need urgent support can take an increased dose of up to 4 scoops of it. If you have amazon prime you can get it on there with mega quick delivery. I really hope you get some relief soon xx
Thanks so much for your help, I really hope to get it sorted also. Perfect I think I'll give the d mannose a go and see how I get on as quite honestly I'd do anything lol can I ask the company name of the pouch you use off amazon so I can look and purchase as I have prime? Xx

Thanks so much for your help, I really hope to get it sorted also. Perfect I think I'll give the d mannose a go and see how I get on as quite honestly I'd do anything lol can I ask the company name of the pouch you use off amazon so I can look and purchase as I have prime? Xx
No problem, it’s by a company called your supplements! It’s in a green and white pouch. If you type in d mannose powder it will come up. I got the powder one, there is a scoop included in the bag too. The 50g powder pouch is £12.99 if you want to try that first to see if it helps. I really hope it does! Xx

• Heart
No problem, it’s by a company called your supplements! It’s in a green and white pouch. If you type in d mannose powder it will come up. I got the powder one, there is a scoop included in the bag too. The 50g powder pouch is £12.99 if you want to try that first to see if it helps. I really hope it does! Xx
Thanks, ill look xx

• Heart
I swear by d-mannose tablets - inexpensive on Amazon - these bind to bacteria in your bladder and flush it out. I take them semi-regularly to keep on top of things, more when I get that itch in my bladder or when I’m getting up in the night to wee.

The other thing I have read about is the link between UTIs and chicken consumption. Grim to consider but the research bears out. Although - I have not come across any uk specific studies so as ever, do your own research and make up your own mind.

I swear by d-mannose tablets - inexpensive on Amazon - these bind to bacteria in your bladder and flush it out. I take them semi-regularly to keep on top of things, more when I get that itch in my bladder or when I’m getting up in the night to wee.

The other thing I have read about is the link between UTIs and chicken consumption. Grim to consider but the research bears out. Although - I have not come across any uk specific studies so as ever, do your own research and make up your own mind.

Thanks, I'll definitely have to give this d-mannose a go 😊

I used to suffer from constant UTIs until I started taking simple Cranberry tablets from Holland and Barrett - might be worth a try?

No substitute for antibiotics but a supplement called D Mannose helps me at the very start and often stops it turning into a full on infection. You can get it on Amazon.

I used to suffer from constant UTIs until I started taking simple Cranberry tablets from Holland and Barrett - might be worth a try?
I've been looking at those and bladapure, definitely d-mannose seems to be a popular reply here so I'll take it onboard and get some over the weeknd, thanks

No substitute for antibiotics but a supplement called D Mannose helps me at the very start and often stops it turning into a full on infection. You can get it on Amazon.
Thanks d-mannose should hopefully help more than the antibiotics are 💊

• Heart
Another d-mannose user, it’s a godsend. Although advise that they publish says stay away from cranberry.

But yes, there’s a sweet spot (the opposite) for swapping to antibiotics.