Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
wow I have literally stayed in dirt cheap hostels while backpacking that look exactly like that. I feel terrible for them. I did an exchange to Denmark, and they allocated us to accomodation that was off campus in the city (like Minerva) and we all had our own glorious room. I loved living with new people from all over the world in our share-house but having a place to curl up with your laptop and be alone was literally essential - what do these guys do?!?
Yeh exactly, the bathroom practically seems bigger than the room :LOL: especially as she is saying she will be doing class from the room as well, so depressing. Also one of the things about living abroad is that you can get friends to visit you and stay with you for them to save money.

oh yeah i act
this girl has some interesting things to say about Minerva. She doesn’t sugarcoat it. She also claimed in one of her videos to have had a miserable experience with a roommate/room situation, to the point where she had anxiety attacks and was nearly homeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQnlXRJysww&ab_channel=TyneHudson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xanBAqMkK0&ab_channel=TyneHudson
Oh yeh I saw that video about the roommate, Minerva seems very unhelpful with housing issues as well, just like when Dinara was homeless in Argentina (I think it was). I would be livid paying so much for uni and getting such tit accommodation

Reactions: 1
this girl has some interesting things to say about Minerva. She doesn’t sugarcoat it. She also claimed in one of her videos to have had a miserable experience with a roommate/room situation, to the point where she had anxiety attacks and was nearly homeless

Slightly OT but I actually really like this girl, she kinda reminds me of Daria (the cartoon character) lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3

Funnily enough this is the same person who wrote that bizarre Quora answer I posted earlier in the thread (the one talking about the “Minerva vernacular”, claiming normal college students don’t have to grocery shop or learn how to budget). Sounds like she became a bit disillusioned with Minerva along the way? I wouldn’t be surprised if students have rose tinted glasses for the first year or two but eventually start to see the major flaws with Minerva.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Funnily enough this is the same person who wrote that bizarre Quora answer I posted earlier in the thread (the one talking about the “Minerva vernacular”, claiming normal college students don’t have to grocery shop or learn how to budget). Sounds like she became a bit disillusioned with Minerva along the way? I wouldn’t be surprised if students have rose tinted glasses for the first year or two but eventually start to see the major flaws with Minerva.
I think she said something in one of her videos about how they're actively encouraged to defend the school on social media, so I'm not surprised if she posted something like that.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
yeh even Dinara seems quite disolusioned from (i think) her last video talking about possibly giving up a course. I would also imagine without the ability to really explore cities etc because of the whole situation it has just lost any of its appeal, even having to study in your tiny cramped flat must be absolutely awful. I live with just my partner in a 2 bed flat and am finding studying here hard as I would usually go somewhere else to do so. God knows how it is in one room

I think she said something in one of her videos about how they're actively encouraged to defend the school on social media, so I'm not surprised if she posted something like that.
oh god the Minerva Vernacular that makes "normal" students unable to understand them... give me strength. will be great to go into the workplace speaking a language none of your employers/colleagues understand :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2
And her cover letter:

View attachment 244705

It's just really clunkily written? Don't know, would expect someone who's finished first year to be writing better than that. It's definitely not an example to be following.

Bonus Jade points for the sentence: The opportunity to ... experience the fascinating culture of Japan, is an honour.
Oh god there is so much WAFFLE here that it's painful to read. This is horribly written and very overblown. Hiring managers want to parse plain English and understand what accomplishments a candidate's achieved and why they're great. Like, is writing a report for a job such a big deal?

Don't even get me started on her last paragraph about Japanese culture and wanting to explore Buddhism and "intergenerational respect" (?????!!!!!) like that would be the highlight of the job? Get out of here. It literally reads as though she's just Googled Japan and has thrown in some stuff to show she knows ~~things~~ about the country. Yikes.

• Heart
Oh god there is so much WAFFLE here that it's painful to read. This is horribly written and very overblown. Hiring managers want to parse plain English and understand what accomplishments a candidate's achieved and why they're great. Like, is writing a report for a job such a big deal?

Don't even get me started on her last paragraph about Japanese culture and wanting to explore Buddhism and "intergenerational respect" (?????!!!!!) like that would be the highlight of the job? Get out of here. It literally reads as though she's just Googled Japan and has thrown in some stuff to show she knows ~~things~~ about the country. Yikes.
Another thing which is strange is that when you look at her CV together with her cover letter, there's work experience she mentions in her cover letter which is never mentioned in the CV (e.g. Hearst Magazine, working for the Better Brave non-profit). Why on earth would you only mention them in your cover letter? Surely it'd be very confusing for the recruiter to see those roles suddenly brought up in the letter when they weren't listed on the CV. Plus they can't see when she worked for them, for how long, or what her role entailed. Your CV should be a comprehensive picture of your education and work experience... they shouldn't have to flick between the two documents to try and piece together your work history.

This is the issue with giving out CV templates when she has very little career experience. There’s pretty fundamental no-no’s in her approach which one of her younger followers might copy.

Reactions: 12
In Jade’s story they are all singing .. one of them says ‘anti capitalism’ and they all cheer. Her dad is literally the definition of a capitalist. She has benefited so much from it.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
Can someone explain to me why Jade was going to study biology at Bristol? Is that a good uni in the UK? I’m surprised her back up wasn’t to go go Durham or Exeter which seem more prestigious on paper and doesn’t Durham have matriculation in gowns like Oxford? Sorry I am not from the UK so I’m not sure!

Reactions: 3
Bristol is a very good uni in the UK. Rankings do vary but they aren't necessarily a good measure of prestige. Worldwide it is considered top 10 in the UK and it is definitely viewed as prestigious here.
In comparison to Durham or Exeter, it may not be always ranked as high as them but the difference in terms of employability or prestige is not really perceptible. Bristol graduates often do just as well, take Eve Cornwell who has a training contract at a Magic Circle law firm for example.
Durham is just seen as more of an 'obvious' choice for Oxbridge rejects because it also has a collegiate system and a traditional vibe. But it is very different from Bristol in terms of university and city life etc so that may be why she opted for Bristol. Bristol's known in the UK as being a vibrant city with a great nightlife so students often pick it for that reason over somewhere 'quieter' like Exeter or Durham even though they technically rank higher.

Why she chose Minerva over a good, prestigious Russell Group like Bristol is completely beyond me.

Reactions: 22
I study law at Bristol (so i'm bias lol) but completely agree with ^. I'm also Bristolian myself and reckon she would have really gelled with Bristol life. So many students come here because they've watched Skins (lmao), I'm sure she could have fell into one of those groups and had a good social life as well as attending a more traditional uni

In Jade’s story they are all singing .. one of them says ‘anti capitalism’ and they all cheer. Her dad is literally the definition of a capitalist. She has benefited so much from it.
LMAO, they are unbelievable. Okay Trotsky, maybe cheer about anti-capitalism when you aren't supporting a money maker bullshit institution under the disguise of a uni while your father is still feeding people some life changing opportunity nonsense as he makes money off their backs.
Everything is surface deep with her; when l watched her A Level content, I never thought she'd become like this.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I hope they get assigned or just read some bloody Mark Fisher and drop out before it’s too late lol. This ‘school’ (neoliberal elite bootcamp) is an alarming example of late stage capitalism 😫

• Haha
Bristol is a very good uni in the UK. Rankings do vary but they aren't necessarily a good measure of prestige. Worldwide it is considered top 10 in the UK and it is definitely viewed as prestigious here.
In comparison to Durham or Exeter, it may not be always ranked as high as them but the difference in terms of employability or prestige is not really perceptible. Bristol graduates often do just as well, take Eve Cornwell who has a training contract at a Magic Circle law firm for example.
Durham is just seen as more of an 'obvious' choice for Oxbridge rejects because it also has a collegiate system and a traditional vibe. But it is very different from Bristol in terms of university and city life etc so that may be why she opted for Bristol. Bristol's known in the UK as being a vibrant city with a great nightlife so students often pick it for that reason over somewhere 'quieter' like Exeter or Durham even though they technically rank higher.

Why she chose Minerva over a good, prestigious Russell Group like Bristol is completely beyond me.
Yeah, it's like most of the Russell Group unis. They're all guaranteed good. Whilst I don't think there should ever be any shame in going to any uni, any Russell Group one is a step above and are on fairly equal footing. It would have made perfect sense for Jade to go to any Russell Group uni, but she threw it all away to go to her 'selective' Minerva. Like sorry, I did my undergraduate degree at Glasgow which is not that selective at all, most students get an offer if they apply, but the name still carries some international cachet and a lot of places will recognise it as a good university. I have faith that I could go to San Francisco and have a recruiter recognise that I went to a good uni, but I have no faith that Jade could come to Glasgow and have anyone even recognise her uni is real, never mind good.

This Minerva bullshit is all good and well while she’s young but in 5 years when she’s ready for a real job and youtube isn’t pulling in views anymore she’s going to have a useless degree.
I think ultimately she’ll regret not getting a degree from a Reputable university in A few years, but she’ll never admit it.

Reactions: 11
I just watched this story and wow. Just wow. Buying into the stupid, waste of money, scam university that literally only the very rich and privileged can afford is CAPITALISM. How do they not see that - it’s obvious that Jade is not anti-capitalism but it doesnt matter for her because she’s so privileged and has everything handed to her.

• Angry
This Minerva bullshit is all good and well while she’s young but in 5 years when she’s ready for a real job and youtube isn’t pulling in views anymore she’s going to have a useless degree.
I think ultimately she’ll regret not getting a degree from a Reputable university in A few years, but she’ll never admit it.
I have no doubts her dad can get her a job at Juice Plus and she can go into the MLM world anyway. She's one of those people who will never face any real problems.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.