Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Putting the acceptance rate down is also just hilarious considering that Minerva fudges their acceptance rate stats by counting people who didn't even complete the application form as rejections.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
i didn't really know anything about OU until my partner went there... some.of his work/projects etc are honestly the level of stuff we did for gcse and his grades are in the 80s (which we were told at uni was basically impossible) i don't knowwhat other subjects are like ofc but having seen his i don't think much of it
My mother was a science lecturer there, she frequently said I could have done that course at my GCSEs, and while she does have a habit of overestimating my abilities I read her books and it's not incredibly rigorous.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
It’s pathetic really. Employers will know what universities have low acceptance rates and I highly doubt someone from let’s say Havard or Yale is going to put that on their CV.

Reactions: 9
My mother was a science lecturer there, she frequently said I could have done that course at my GCSEs, and while she does have a habit of overestimating my abilities I read her books and it's not incredibly rigorous.
yeh, i remember one assignment my partner had to do, 10% of the grade was describing a street near his house... (no idea how it was related to his course either, totally absurd)

It’s pathetic really. Employers will know what universities have low acceptance rates and I highly doubt someone from let’s say Havard or Yale is going to put that on their CV.
it's overcompensating imo, the saame as her constantly going on about how amazing it is to try and convince herself

Reactions: 2
I just don't understand why she feels compelled to give so much 'advice', rather than just share her experiences. It's not just CVs/cover letters, she did the same thing with financial advice and the weird 'a letter from that girl you're jealous of' video.

I think it's perfectly understandable that her CV/cover letter writing skills aren't great. If she made a video simply talking about her personal experience of getting an internship, it would be much better! But instead, she presents herself as an authority which, imho, is a bit arrogant.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
So funny to think of Eve and Jade meeting up and Jade hyping up her scam University. Eve would surely not stand for it!
Not an Eve fan myself but if I had to listen to jade big up Mickey Mouse uni and try and say it’s on oxfords level i couldn’t do it

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Saying your university "highly selective" should be redundant, they should know that by the name alone! Mentioning it just makes it obvious you're being slightly facetious about something.

i didn't really know anything about OU until my partner went there... some.of his work/projects etc are honestly the level of stuff we did for gcse and his grades are in the 80s (which we were told at uni was basically impossible) i don't knowwhat other subjects are like ofc but having seen his i don't think much of it

this also comes across as her assumingshe has got it, she needs to say would be surely? i often help students write cvs and cover letters and would never advise this
Was this a science subject? Grades in the 80s aren't uncommon, even at brick and mortar universities if so.

Anyway OU works on a slightly different marking system to the rest of the UK, I believe their first class equivalent (distinction) generally requires marks of 85+, and 70+ for a 2:1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Her advice is so painful. I think this video has really highlighted what about her annoys me: the way she's so preachy about everything - I get this impression from lots of her videos, but often the content I often agree with so I couldn't tell why I dislike it so much. But she speaks about everything as if she's the authority and knows everything and you need to be doing it her way. And when it comes to getting an internship/CVs, where her advice seems so out of place, you can really tell. DofE on a CV? Really? Especially with how she phrased it to make it sound so prestigious. It just comes off so childish.

Reactions: 14
DofE is also about the least imaginative and unoriginal thing to put on a CV. I mean, who cares, really? Demonstrate something creative, original and eye catching. 99% of the CVs I read have DofE on them, it hardly makes you stand out.

Reactions: 14
DofE is also about the least imaginative and unoriginal thing to put on a CV. I mean, who cares, really? Demonstrate something creative, original and eye catching. 99% of the CVs I read have DofE on them, it hardly makes you stand out.
I think you mean 0.17% 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 10
By putting percentages on it makes it seem like her achievement was being accepted into those places or getting the certificate rather than the knowledge and skills she should’ve gained from those experiences. She’s very naïve.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
How many internships has she even done? I also find it annoying how much she preaches about getting one .. some people cannot afford to!! Talking about pestering people for months to make a contact .. some of us don’t even have time! Also so many companies use interns as literal slaves .. not as simple as just ‘ask’! She would know that if she had worked more

Reactions: 6
She is in her little minerva bubble and thinks that everyone's life works just like that. I mean some of her advice were really really terrible, it might be acceptable to behave like that in her special special school but it isn't realistic for most people. Also I'm just really curious about what she does in her internships anyway. She's always vaguely talking about ~ Economy ~ and ~Empowerment ~ and ~ Growing ~ but never actually tells anything.

Reactions: 7
How many internships has she even done? I also find it annoying how much she preaches about getting one .. some people cannot afford to!! Talking about pestering people for months to make a contact .. some of us don’t even have time! Also so many companies use interns as literal slaves .. not as simple as just ‘ask’! She would know that if she had worked more
I looked up Minerva students on LinkedIn and so many of them worked for Minerva during the summer in internships. So yeah it’s not hard to get internships if the university you go to is handing them out like sweets...

I feel like her internships are selling the school to her audience/other people. Would explain all this repetition of certain phrases and the silly amount of people who hop on to random threads on reddit or elsewhere to defend Minerva.

Reactions: 5
So from what I can gather she has only ever done 1 thing that could be called an internship (the one she did this summer, with Minerva). She spent 1 month with Hearst Magazines a few years ago, but I think it's a stretch to call that an internship - sounds more like a work experience stint since it seems she was mostly just shadowing people. She mentions she worked with a non-profit to help with their marketing while she was studying at Minerva, but again, this was something that she was assigned via Minerva and not really an internship.

So she made a video preaching about how to apply for internships when she a) has only ever done 1 internship and b) although she 'applied' to the internship, it was via her university so she was always going to get something. Not really a realistic representation of what applying for internships is like in the real world.

What I don’t get is why the students all feel the need to defend it so much across every platform. If it’s really that good then surely all the criticism is unfounded anyway and can be ignored?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
That CV and cover letter are a joke.
An influencer with zero experience in recruitment shouldn’t be putting out templates that can be edited by her audience because they’re not up to standard.

The tone of both the CV and cover letter is just totally off.
also, you don’t usually have to describe your university in your cv to make it sound proper 😂

Reactions: 13
I could barely make it through her Internship advice video, her naive, toxic positivity approach to life and her career is so grating and infuriating

I keep thinking about how she writes she can’t wait to learn more about Japan’s inter generational respect and about Buddhism. What does this have to do with the internship? It sounds like she just Wikipedia’d Japan and picked some incredibly general things. I know these things are culturally important but it’s like she just picked two stereotypical things that foreigners know about Japan and plonked then down there. Good ‘researching’ Jade!! Embarrassed for her

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.