Unjaded Jade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And her cover letter:

Screenshot_20200916-234605__01.jpg

It's just really clunkily written? Don't know, would expect someone who's finished first year to be writing better than that. It's definitely not an example to be following.

Bonus Jade points for the sentence: The opportunity to ... experience the fascinating culture of Japan, is an honour.

• Sick
Reactions: 18
And her cover letter:

View attachment 244705

It's just really clunkily written? Don't know, would expect someone who's finished first year to be writing better than that. It's definitely not an exams to be following.

Bonus Jade points for the sentence: The opportunity to ... experience the fascinating culture of Japan, is an honour.
From a recruitment perspective, that letter would’ve gone in the bin after reading the first paragraph. She’s made the same mistake that most people make and her cover letter is an extension of her CV. It is just her saying that she thinks her experience (which should just be on her CV and not in her covering letter) will benefit them but not actually explaining what it is that she will do. The fact she feels qualified to put this out there for young people to follow is a joke, she’s never had to get a real job in the real world!

Reactions: 26
I believe KGI is the graduate school connected to the Claremont College Consortium in California. Some of their undergrad schools (Claremont, Harvey Mudd, Pomona) are lesser known but well regarded in the US (ranked in the top 20). It's interesting that the degree is conferred through KGI and not one of these undergraduate institutions.

Reactions: 1
You can tell she doesn't have an A Level in English Language. That letter and CV are shocking.

And her cover letter:
"It would be a dream!", "take on Buddism", "I am thrilled", "innovativity"*? Maybe I'm the stick in the mud here, but is it normal to include such informal phrases in a cover letter? Not to mention the two exclamation points.

A cover letter is a finely tuned document which should display your ability to write in a professional manner, not just a brain dump of your thoughts & achievements.

*Innovativity is not even a word. Jade, please remove your A* in English from your CV.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
I just find it ironic how her supposed years of learning, interest and research into social justice causes, environmentalism, being part of a fair and equitable world etc, have led her to... marketing? For someone who spends so much time trying to teach others about equality, it's somewhat ironic that her focus is now on helping corporations to make more money. Especially given her recent videos on minimalism - sort of contradicts the whole purpose of marketing, which is to reach more customers, make more sales, and encourage endless, unfettered consumption! I wish she'd give some sort of critical thought to capitalism and her place within it, but I guess they don't teach that in Silicon Valley.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Yeah, I don't know if you guys remember but she used to talk about wanting a job which balanced her skills with her values. If that job is marketing... Says a lot about her values.

Reactions: 8
I just find it ironic how her supposed years of learning, interest and research into social justice causes, environmentalism, being part of a fair and equitable world etc, have led her to... marketing? For someone who spends so much time trying to teach others about equality, it's somewhat ironic that her focus is now on helping corporations to make more money. Especially given her recent videos on minimalism - sort of contradicts the whole purpose of marketing, which is to reach more customers, make more sales, and encourage endless, unfettered consumption! I wish she'd give some sort of critical thought to capitalism and her place within it, but I guess they don't teach that in Silicon Valley.
She's trying to be the wokest capitalist ever, being sure to check all the boxes, cover all her bases, get all the points with the least amount of effort. Stay on top of as many trends as she can. I'm sure she feels she fits right in to the Silicon Valley space. Amazing how much she's changed from when she first started her channel. I guess when she realised how she could make $$$ from it, that was the beginning of the end. And of course we all know her dad is already good at selling his soul for JP.

Reactions: 14
And her cover letter:

View attachment 244705

It's just really clunkily written? Don't know, would expect someone who's finished first year to be writing better than that. It's definitely not an example to be following.

'with a keen interest in the intersection of marketing and education' :sick::mad:

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
I’m dying at her cover letter. amazing how she achieved such good grades at A levels but her writing is so appalling.

+ Lol at her internship advice video when she got an internship at Minerva that I assume was targeted at its students? She also says to contact people through Instagram about internships and ~informational interviews~ And send them articles. What an actual pest she must be, contacting people about jobs through their Instagram (unless you’re a social media influencer) is so unprofessional? Cringe. This girl hasn’t got a clue.

So funny to think of Eve and Jade meeting up and Jade hyping up her scam University. Eve would surely not stand for it!

• Haha
I’m dying at her cover letter. amazing how she achieved such good grades at A levels but her writing is so appalling.

+ Lol at her internship advice video when she got an internship at Minerva that I assume was targeted at its students? She also says to contact people through Instagram about internships and ~informational interviews~ And send them articles. What an actual pest she must be, contacting people about jobs through their Instagram (unless you’re a social media influencer) is so unprofessional? Cringe. This girl hasn’t got a clue.

So funny to think of Eve and Jade meeting up and Jade hyping up her scam University. Eve would surely not stand for it!
Honestly if I didn't know better I would've thought these last couple of pages were fake/ completely made up aka a person cannot actually do or believe this but I guess influenzas can always stoop to new lows 🙌😂😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
The % stuff just doesn't matter though right? Like she's listed those on her CV but I doubt any recruiter is going to be swayed by them. It comes off as braggy, and with regards to her university it makes her sound like she's trying to push it as a real thing. Admittedly I'm not a recruiter, but I imagine if I received that in my inbox when applying for a job I would just not care. Name recognition probably carries a lot more weight than knowing it's 'selective'.

Reactions: 12
'with a keen interest in the intersection of marketing and education' :sick::mad:
"Co-developing my curriculum and Minerva's Global Brand" - that sounds so pyramid scheme

I don't think most university students are bothered about their unis 'global' branding 🙄

Reactions: 15
I will point out that ime the OU treat their lecturers like tit. Not exclusive to them of course but there that is.
i didn't really know anything about OU until my partner went there... some.of his work/projects etc are honestly the level of stuff we did for gcse and his grades are in the 80s (which we were told at uni was basically impossible) i don't knowwhat other subjects are like ofc but having seen his i don't think much of it

And her cover letter:

View attachment 244705

this also comes across as her assumingshe has got it, she needs to say would be surely? i often help students write cvs and cover letters and would never advise this

Reactions: 2

Yeah, it's actually a frustrating lack of transparency - the only internships she has ever done are either for Minerva or through Minerva's partnerships with other companies, so she was only ever competing with other Minerva students. The Tokyo internship she got (which was later cancelled due to covid) wasn't something she organically applied to, it was one of the internships which Minerva offers to its students through its partnerships. I'm not sure why she wouldn't make that clear, because the processes of applying to an internship via your university versus applying to an internship as an independent candidate are very different things. The latter is far more competitive and sliding into the companies DMs is not going to make a jot of difference when you're up against potentially 1000s of other applicants.

Bagging the first internship you ever applied to and getting it because it's already part of the internship scheme at your university does not make you qualified to offer universal internship application advice.

Reactions: 13
Those screenshots of her CV are shocking. Your CV is about showing what skills you've gained from your studies and work experience, not trying to brag about acceptance rates or how few students got to a gold DOE. The cover letter for a job is where you go through the essential and desirable skills and talk about those, your experience and how you as a person hit the specification they put forward.

Reactions: 12
Those screenshots of her CV are shocking. Your CV is about showing what skills you've gained from your studies and work experience, not trying to brag about acceptance rates or how few students got to a gold DOE. The cover letter for a job is where you go through the essential and desirable skills and talk about those, your experience and how you as a person hit the specification they put forward.
yeh that cover letter would never even get herto interview let alone a job

Reactions: 1
I feel like part of the acceptance rate stuff comes from thinking that Oxbridge has prestige because of their lower acceptance rates = Minerva is therefore prestigious/good because of it's low acceptance rates despite not being well known. So naturally anything she does will be tied to statistics because that somehow means it's more prestigious/harder and therefore better, which is dumb. I'm also somehow not surprised she was rejected from Oxford after seeing this.

I'm also surprised that her college/6th form didn't teach her how to write a CV or a cover letter because she clearly doesn't know.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.