Universal Credit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I got my statement yesterday payday is Sunday but will be Friday I'm getting £17 less, even tho my wages were only 145, I'll only get Roughly 100 uc next month with my next wage and that is taking the 86 off and they are still sending me jobs to look for

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Entitledto is pretty accurate, at least I found it to be
I believe 'Entitledto' and 'Turn2Us' are pretty good but 'PolicyInPractice' while fine for most people apparently has a few glitches that they are struggling to fix.

Yep, does seem so bizarre to treat so many different cases and needs the one way. There's a world of difference between someone on it for a short time in-between jobs and someone that is going to need it long term.
One of the points of UC was that it meant that people no longer had to make and manage separate claims for different benefits with different organisations. Tax Credits were paid by HMRC, JSA / ESA / IS etc paid by DWP and Housing Benefit paid by the local council. A change in ESA might affect the entitlement to HB but because so many people had HB paid direct to their landlord, the first time they found out about it was when they were in arrears.

Another benefit of UC is that it is calculated monthly in arrears whereas Tax Credits were calculated on your last year's income and relied on the claimant notifying HMRC of material changes as the year progressed. There was a review at the end of each year to see how the claimant's actual income compared to the income estimated at the beginning of the year and the tax credit payment was recalculated. It could mean that claimants had been overpaid thousands. At best that might mean deducting it from the next years payments but in situations where the claim had ended because for example the claimant had got a much better paying job, that debt of thousands of pounds had to be recovered. The economic and funding crisis caused by the pandemic has prompted the government to dig out all those old debts and people are currently receiving letters saying that they owe thousands from tax credit overpayments that happened years ago. The longest I've dealt with is 12 years ago but I've heard that there are some from even longer ago. HMRC have turned the debts over to DWP who have greater powers to recover debts e.g. attachment of current earnings or benefits. That level of overpayment can't happen with UC because the income in one month is used to calculate the payment in the following month. That's why there is the 5 week wait at the start of the claim.

The main problems with the UC system is the 5 week initial wait for wholly new claimants i.e. people who are not already receiving legacy benefits and the sanctions system. There is a separate argument that UC should be more generous.

Reactions: 5
These people obviously haven’t got a clue. You’re doing great and setting a good example for your daughter.
Thank you so much. When I moved into my new house, a young mum moved in opposite me with 3 children. She asked me "why do you need to work? You have a kid?" - I fully understand some people can afford to not work, or can't afford to work due to childcare. But her outright implying that I shouldn't need to work because I have a child is awful. That's exactly why I work, to give us bigger & better things. I've just taken out a part-mortgage on my new home thanks to me going back to work when my daughter was still so young, and I'll forever be so proud of myself, universal credit claimant or not!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
anyone seen the new 55p thingy today? instead of 63p and work allowance from £237 to £335 a month now????? thoughts ??

• Wow
anyone seen the new 55p thingy today? instead of 63p and work allowance from £237 to £335 a month now????? thoughts ??
Well it's obviously not a bad thing but it won't make up for the loss of the £20 uplift.

Reactions: 3
I agree with you wholeheartedly, it should not be your cross to bear... but on the other hand... should it be the government responsibility?

I’m insured to the hilt for every eventuality because my lifestyle is no-one else’s responsibility but my own.
Considering insurance is essentially paying out like taxes do it seems almost comparable, you paid into a “pot” to take it out when you need it. That’s essentially what benefits etc work like.

Reactions: 4
I work but a few years ago had to claim uc too
new job low wage due to no hours
i did one extra hour one week so I got a letter saying it had all stopped and I couldn’t claim anymore-my rent was due and I had zero cash to pay it
plus they made it so hard with appointment-I’d get them but I was at work which forced me to play ‘ring the right person to change it’
i gave up,changed jobs and haven’t bothered since
we need a safety net for genuine claims but uc isn’t it-it’s unworkable
If th gov't threw enough money at it, which they wont do then it'd be sorted if they increased how much you can make when on it. Why I can't stand the Tories

If th gov't threw enough money at it, which they wont do then it'd be sorted if they increased how much you can make when on it. Why I can't stand the Tories
They have "increased how much you can make when on it". In fact it starts today.

Also I don't believe the previous claim that working an extra hour for one week caused the entitlement to UC to end.

Reactions: 1
The changes coming up are likely to include removing entitlement to UC for students in education. This has been picked by by disability charities as it will affect those individuals not yet ready for the world of work but who will get there with the right support (I’m talking 18/19+).

Students like my son for example who will fall foul of this next year ….just as all the child element comes off of my UC claim. It’s a top up as my husband works but it’s still something I really rely upon.

if my son cannot claim UC then as a family we will really struggle as he has a lot of care needs which keep me at home.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Ok this is a difficult post to write, I don't expect any sympathy because lets face it, when you are on Universal Credit you forgo any finer feelings that you may have had, as an employed person.
I am on Universal Credit at the moment. The amount of hoops I am having to jump through just to receive my payment this month, is deeply distressing. Because I forgot to fill in details of my earnings, my payment has not come through. I mentioned this at the dreadful visit to the Job Centre today. The woman behind the perspex barrier, said that I needed to complete certain things in my "to do list." When I returned home, I logged in and did what was required. I still don't know if I will be paid.
Why do I get the feeling that these Job Centre employees, enjoy watching people squirm and suffer?
Really difficult to cope with right now. I feel like the lowest of the low, any dignity I had is rapidly disappearing. But hey, that is the aim of the game isn't it? :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Ok this is a difficult post to write, I don't expect any sympathy because lets face it, when you are on Universal Credit you forgo any finer feelings that you may have had, as an employed person.
I am on Universal Credit at the moment. The amount of hoops I am having to jump through just to receive my payment this month, is deeply distressing. Because I forgot to fill in details of my earnings, my payment has not come through. I mentioned this at the dreadful visit to the Job Centre today. The woman behind the perspex barrier, said that I needed to complete certain things in my "to do list." When I returned home, I logged in and did what was required. I still don't know if I will be paid.
Why do I get the feeling that these Job Centre employees, enjoy watching people squirm and suffer?
Really difficult to cope with right now. I feel like the lowest of the low, any dignity I had is rapidly disappearing. But hey, that is the aim of the game isn't it? :(
I'm confused as the only hoop it seems you had to jump through was to complete your to do list which will have been one of the things you agreed on to get paid UC when you signed on to it. You didn't do it so didn't get paid. You've now completed your to do list so the money should go through. Unless I am missing something.

Assuming you're self employed? I'm on UC, I work part time and my earnings get sent direct to them so I don't have to enter mine.
I do have a friend who is self employed & is on it as there isn't much work around at the moment and I do his income/expenses every month for him, it's the same date it's due every month and they also sent an email out to remind you.

I'm confused as the only hoop it seems you had to jump through was to complete your to do list which will have been one of the things you agreed on to get paid UC when you signed on to it. You didn't do it so didn't get paid. You've now completed your to do list so the money should go through. Unless I am missing something.
My understanding is that, payments may be delayed if certain things on the to do list aren't completed by a certain date?
Hopefully now that you have completed the information, your payment will be released

I'm dreading the move to UC. Partly because I'm one of those who is likely to be worse off (no one can actually confirm as a disabled person how much I'd get, helpful) and because it's paid every 4 weeks. My disabilities mean that I would struggle to budget that far ahead / with that much money. And I'll probably have a work capability assessment to go through again, even though I've only got worse since I was last assessed.

I'm dreading the move to UC. Partly because I'm one of those who is likely to be worse off (no one can actually confirm as a disabled person how much I'd get, helpful) and because it's paid every 4 weeks. My disabilities mean that I would struggle to budget that far ahead / with that much money. And I'll probably have a work capability assessment to go through again, even though I've only got worse since I was last assessed.
You may be able to persuade UC to pay you more frequently than the normal monthly basis. When it comes to it you should try speaking to your work coach and it would definitely help to have evidence to support your claim that your health conditions affect your ability to budget over a month.

You can get an idea of what you may receive under UC by using a benefit calculator. The one I've linked allows you to calculate payments of 'legacy benefits' and UC so you should be able to a) check that your current payment is correctly calculated and b) compare it to UC : Policy in Practice

If you are currently receiving ESA because your health conditions mean you are unable to work you will have to be reassessed when you 'migrate' to UC.

You may be able to persuade UC to pay you more frequently than the normal monthly basis. When it comes to it you should try speaking to your work coach and it would definitely help to have evidence to support your claim that your health conditions affect your ability to budget over a month.

You can get an idea of what you may receive under UC by using a benefit calculator. The one I've linked allows you to calculate payments of 'legacy benefits' and UC so you should be able to a) check that your current payment is correctly calculated and b) compare it to UC : Policy in Practice

If you are currently receiving ESA because your health conditions mean you are unable to work you will have to be reassessed when you 'migrate' to UC.
The other thing I forgot to say is that you should wait until you are told to apply for UC to replace your 'legacy benefits' (I'm sure you will anyway). This is because you should be entitled to what is called 'transitional protection' to make sure that you are not worse off.