Universal Credit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was only ever temporary and that was made clear from the off. It's already had one extension and the end of that was clearly told in plenty of time. People have been calling it a cut when it's just a return to how things were. I have more sympathy for those on benefits like JSA who have missed out on around 1500 quid from it not being extended to them.
But yet the cost of living continues to rise? My gas bill is going up by 21% from next month. My eyes nearly popped out when I got the letter. I get a letter every few months telling me the rates are increasing (where I am they are included in the weekly rent amount). With the £80 cut and the NI increase they are blatantly making the working class poorer.

Reactions: 7
But yet the cost of living continues to rise? My gas bill is going up by 21% from next month. My eyes nearly popped out when I got the letter. I get a letter every few months telling me the rates are increasing (where I am they are included in the weekly rent amount). With the £80 cut and the NI increase they are blatantly making the working class poorer.
I’ve had 2 emails in the past 6 months from my energy supplier announcing an increase in prices. It’s getting hard to keep up.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I can see why people are arguing the payment should stay though IMO, like I said above, I'm getting paid £160 which after the removal of the payment will go down to £120 and if you take that weekly or for someone living payment to payment it's not much at all. I get that it's going back to the pre-COVID payments, I get that they can't magic money out of nowhere but it really is going to be a kick in the teeth for those who have come to rely on the extra cash especially in winter and with Christmas coming up too

It's still a cut when you have become accustomed to it
If it hadn't been given in the first place there wouldn't be this uproar. If they follow through with taking it away and down the line we get put in another national lockdown people won't get it back to get them through it because the government won't want the hassle when it's removed a second time.

Reactions: 3
It was only ever temporary and that was made clear from the off. It's already had one extension and the end of that was clearly told in plenty of time. People have been calling it a cut when it's just a return to how things were. I have more sympathy for those on benefits like JSA who have missed out on around 1500 quid from it not being extended to them.
Oh I'm so sorry I didn't get the memo that because I can't work due to illness that that means I don't need the extra £86 a month.

Reactions: 6
I get what people mean but of course people would rather have not had it at all than to have it and now lose it. 1.) You might have got used to the little extra. And 2.) you can't miss what you never had. It's going to plunge more further into debt, using food banks etc.

A couple of us have got emails lately about our gas and electric going up🙄 as been said further up the price of living is still going up. I have to laugh at the poxy minimum wage per hour for most jobs. It's absolutely shocking. Living wage my arse!! Should all be £10p/h at the minimum. None of this £6, £7, £8 p/h.

regardless whether it’s been extended ur not, people will still struggle. i don’t make the rules.

Reactions: 4
I can see why people are arguing the payment should stay though IMO, like I said above, I'm getting paid £160 which after the removal of the payment will go down to £120 and if you take that weekly or for someone living payment to payment it's not much at all. I get that it's going back to the pre-COVID payments, I get that they can't magic money out of nowhere but it really is going to be a kick in the teeth for those who have come to rely on the extra cash especially in winter and with Christmas coming up too
Reading this back I’ve just realised I‘ll get even less than £120 lol oops 😆🥲

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I know someone who was made redundant from her part time job at the end of July. She applied for UC. Waited 5 weeks and she was paid £5.41 two days ago, because her partner's earnings for that month which was less than £750 reduced her payment. (No kids or housing claimed for and she's a carer).

View attachment 754286

Yep this is the Minimum Income Floor Floor.

If one of the claimants is self employed they are treated as earning a minimum of £1000 (or so) a month....even if they have a crap month and only bring in £500.

We are in the same position and I am Carer to our son so it's not even as if I can pick up the slack during those harder months.

Awful situation to be in.

• Heart
I'm glad the UC stories are exposing that it's only people with children that can work 2 hours to earn an extra £20 and that childless claimants need to work 6 hours to get £20 extra

Sorry offtopic, but kinda on topic with UC

I'm glad the UC stories are exposing that it's only people with children that can work 2 hours to earn an extra £20 and that childless claimants need to work 6 hours to get £20 extra
I’ve been lurking on this thread but keeping my head down (due to being burned on mumsnet over this subject in the past!).
I’ve just worked it out and I would have to work 4 extra hours to get an extra £20 (more like £21.60) per week. I have 2 children.

I’ve been lurking on this thread but keeping my head down (due to being burned on mumsnet over this subject in the past!).
I’ve just worked it out and I would have to work 4 extra hours to get an extra £20 (more like £21.60) per week. I have 2 children.
Ah interesting! I was taking the BBC report at face value. It's clearly a pretty complex picture with lots to factor in. Could almost do with a half an hour infographics show to explain the scenarios!

Whilst ignoring carers and disabled people who can't work.

Reactions: 5
Yep, does seem so bizarre to treat so many different cases and needs the one way. There's a world of difference between someone on it for a short time in-between jobs and someone that is going to need it long term.

Reactions: 5
My housing association are expecting us to make a £5 a week contribution to rent to ensure we're (because universal credit is paid in arrears) not in arrears. How does someone on £75 a week who already pays £5 a week council tax do that and live?

I don’t know much about UC as I’ve never had to use it but really how do these privileged people know anything about what it’s like for normal working people to survive let alone people who have to rely on benefits? They are far too removed from reality. What was it Boris said when asked about the price of a pint of milk? “I can tell you the price of a bottle of champagne”.
The gap between the rich and the poor will keep getting wider and it seems to me that’s just the way they like it.

Attachments

I claim UC, mainly for childcare for my daughter (she is 2 next week). I work full time spread over 4 days (36 hours), I'm also a single parent and my daughters other parent isn't involved. I see sooo many comments about how this £20 was only temporary, but I didn't even know it was a thing as I started claiming after it was rolled out. I hate telling people I claim it, despite it being towards childcare that enables me to work. For me, even with my wage, child benefit and my UC top up, I still really struggle most months. The comments you see on Facebook about people being scroungers and how people need to get jobs annoy me so much. I have worked my entire adult life, I ended up in this position through no fault of my own (I had a mortgage with my ex, we lived comfortably etc). Now I am doing it all totally alone, I'm working my bloody backside off to provide a life for the two of us, and yet some people would still brand me as a scrounger all because I claim UC. Awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I claim UC, mainly for childcare for my daughter (she is 2 next week). I work full time spread over 4 days (36 hours), I'm also a single parent and my daughters other parent isn't involved. I see sooo many comments about how this £20 was only temporary, but I didn't even know it was a thing as I started claiming after it was rolled out. I hate telling people I claim it, despite it being towards childcare that enables me to work. For me, even with my wage, child benefit and my UC top up, I still really struggle most months. The comments you see on Facebook about people being scroungers and how people need to get jobs annoy me so much. I have worked my entire adult life, I ended up in this position through no fault of my own (I had a mortgage with my ex, we lived comfortably etc). Now I am doing it all totally alone, I'm working my bloody backside off to provide a life for the two of us, and yet some people would still brand me as a scrounger all because I claim UC. Awful.
These people obviously haven’t got a clue. You’re doing great and setting a good example for your daughter.

• Heart
Reactions: 8