Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cantstandspanj

Chatty Member
That is extremely distressing and hard to hear let alone watch but the main UC number is free!!!
So again just can’t help but feel the media feed into this and fabricate some not all of what we see 😓😓😓
The main UC number is free now, but it wasn’t when it was initially introduced! Calls cost something crazy like 30p per minute and if you’ve ever had to call them you’ll know you can wait anything up to an hour for them to answer!
And DWP did not change this to a freephone number out of the goodness of their heart a lot of campaigning went on to make this happen!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I’m on it and I think it’s awful.

Signed up initially after finishing university so they could aid me in finding a job. Laughable effort. I have cerebral palsy which means I struggle to walk, stay on my feet, and carry things (I receive full PIP and told them all of this) - no word of a lie EVERY job they sent me for was inappropriate - I was told to apply for the Amazon warehouse (you know the one where you’re on your feet working for your Entire shift and you’re penalised if you’re too slow?) turned that down they told me to try waitressing (again on my feet and having to carry heavy plates - impossible) they then implied i was trying it on and being purposely difficult because I was turning the jobs down.

Gave up, decided to go back to university to complete my masters, told them this so they could adjust my payments (this was in october 2020). Guess when they paid me my first payment of UC? Go on?

July this year. Yes really. This was after months of arguing back and forth with them as they based my payment off of how much student loan I am entitled to and they refused to believe how much I was getting and again implied I was lying. In July I finally sorted it, and they pay me the princely sum of £30 a week 😆🤣😆🤣

The thing is, i still live at home with my mother - so I really appreciate the privileged position I’m in, I really appreciate that I don’t rely on UC to get by and I’m just using it as ‘pocket money’ on top of PIP. But the way they run the system is AWFUL, they really see you as just a number, there’s no considering those who really do rely on that money. 😬

• Sad
  • Heart

Thedutchess

When I was last unemployed we went through the entire assessment - husband and I as I couldn't claim it just for myself, only to then be told I wouldn't get anything as my husband is paid too much and would be able to support me. Waste of my bloody time!!
Exactly why we never bothered, it’s supposed to be there to help people but it’s really not, the amount of questions and forms and hoops to fill in are disgraceful, no idea how some people manage it. Then they want you to attend appointments. Hubs had spinal surgery and was basically bed bound...Yep you guessed it wanted him down job centre. Put a stop to it after that and ended up not bothering, I suspect that’s what they want!

• Sad

MrsJones83

VIP Member
I think the general thought is if youre living as a cohabiting couple the bills would be spilt right down the middle, therefore you would both be paying into a joint account and have joint savings to use to pay the bills if one of you came out of work.

I dont know for certain. *Dont shoot me.*
That’s assuming you earn enough money to save any. We both work (don’t claim UC) and we don’t live extravagantly but there’s no extra to save. If one of us lost our job we’d be screwed.

• Heart

TheWitchIsBack

VIP Member
I may be unpopular but here goes, Why do others think its right that if my partner lost his job I would be responsible for him and his bills?

I earn 21k a year, like most others I have debt of my own to pay but lets not forget about the private rent we have to pay as we cannot get a council house so that's £500 a month, the council tax at £120, gas & electric at £100, then a mobile contract at £50 that I am tied into, the internet that I am also tied into that he would need in order to find another job (£50), my car loan £150, road tax £15, Insurance £25. So far that's £1010.00 before I even consider petrol to and from work 5 days a week, food and debts I am paying off. Others think its acceptable to cover his bills too such as payments for his child £250, his car loan £170, his road tax, insurance ect ect.

Just because we choose to live together does not make me responsible for him financially!
I agree with you wholeheartedly, it should not be your cross to bear... but on the other hand... should it be the government responsibility?

I’m insured to the hilt for every eventuality because my lifestyle is no-one else’s responsibility but my own.

Reactions: 8

Columbo

VIP Member
I claim UC, mainly for childcare for my daughter (she is 2 next week). I work full time spread over 4 days (36 hours), I'm also a single parent and my daughters other parent isn't involved. I see sooo many comments about how this £20 was only temporary, but I didn't even know it was a thing as I started claiming after it was rolled out. I hate telling people I claim it, despite it being towards childcare that enables me to work. For me, even with my wage, child benefit and my UC top up, I still really struggle most months. The comments you see on Facebook about people being scroungers and how people need to get jobs annoy me so much. I have worked my entire adult life, I ended up in this position through no fault of my own (I had a mortgage with my ex, we lived comfortably etc). Now I am doing it all totally alone, I'm working my bloody backside off to provide a life for the two of us, and yet some people would still brand me as a scrounger all because I claim UC. Awful.
These people obviously haven’t got a clue. You’re doing great and setting a good example for your daughter.

• Heart

Droosie123

VIP Member
A benefit system shake up has been long overdue it has always been far too cushty to be on the dole long term in the uk. However they've gone from easy hand outs to extreme jumping through hoops over night with one huge change. It's made it far too difficult for those genuinely in need to recieve the help they need. I do think we need a simpler and fairer system for all but more importantly work should pay and benefits should not provide a lifestyle of luxury that's unachievable for those in work. Again its swings and round abouts because I know plenty who live far better than I do who claim uc then theres others who survive because they claim uc. Baffling.

I find those who are living a good life on benefits tend to have some form of undeclared income.
The woman across the road to me does okay but I happen to know she and the chap next door are growing cannabis and selling it. Yes it's been reported but they are a small cog in a bigger machine. They are not a priority when you consider the bigger players the police are after.

Others have occasional cash in hand work or relatives who will help financially by providing food, gifts etc.

I don't know anyone getting rich from them or making huge savings in accounts. If they are living better than you then it's worth asking why and how. Usually it's not the benefits that are helping them.

Having always worked though I do like the once a month payment. I have rent, council tax etc set up to come out on the day UC goes into my account,

My husband contributes from his self employed earnings ....this can be fun if people haven't paid and he's having to chase the payment.

It's a struggle financially as I can't work due to the needs of my son who is autistic. We do get extra as a result of this but we still struggle.

Generally though we manage, we can't afford holidays and I live in fear of the washing machine etc breaking down but otherwise it's doable....just.

One big help is that my son gets PIP at the enhanced rate for care and mobility. This means we could lease a car under the Motability scheme so I have no tax or insurance to pay as the Mobility component of PIP pays for all that. I just need to put petrol in the car. It's a massive help as my previous car cost me £150 to buy as it was so old and I lived in fear of it breaking down.

Last edited:
I agree that if your partner earns enough you should not get benefits. Social is there if you are in real need and if your partner don't want to help out while you are unemployed then you need to question the relationship.

As with everything there are people who genuinely fall through the cracks but then I feel Social services and local government should be held accountable for not helping

CrazyCatLady101

I agree with you wholeheartedly, it should not be your cross to bear... but on the other hand... should it be the government responsibility?

I’m insured to the hilt for every eventuality because my lifestyle is no-one else’s responsibility but my own.
I feel that, considering hes 35 and worked since he was 16 that yes it should be their responsibility, after all hes contributed all of his tax and NI over those years that's helped to keep all of the unemployed people warm in their houses day after day when we are the ones up and out the door every day working hard...and before anyone tries to police me I am NOT referring to EVERYONE who is unemployed, I understand there are MANY different reasons some CANNOT work, I am referring to those who CHOOSE not to work and never have, yes those are the ones who receive benefits, don't have to worry about their rent being paid and exempt or get a lower rate on other bills

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I can see why people are arguing the payment should stay though IMO, like I said above, I'm getting paid £160 which after the removal of the payment will go down to £120 and if you take that weekly or for someone living payment to payment it's not much at all. I get that it's going back to the pre-COVID payments, I get that they can't magic money out of nowhere but it really is going to be a kick in the teeth for those who have come to rely on the extra cash especially in winter and with Christmas coming up too

Reactions: 7

Moth

VIP Member
I can understand that this may seem a lot for someone not in employment. But if this is a single person their standard allowance for a month is £334. If they’ve been found not fit for work related activity they will receive a futher £354 on top of this. That comes to £688. If they’re receiving £1000 that means they’re also getting money towards the cost of rent. Therefore they have £1000 in total to pay all bills including housing costs, these days that doesn’t go far.
I appreciate this may be frustrating if you’re struggling to pay your bills while in work, or even more so if they really have ‘blagged’ their medical assessment, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be living a comfortable life on this especially with the current cost of living crisis and future increases to energy bills.
Just to emphasise what you said. The basic UC award for a single person over 25 is £334.91 per month.

Claimants that say that they are not able to work because of a medical condition must first supply medical certificates to confirm this and complete a UC50 form which explains what are their conditions, what medications they take, who are their health professionals and how their condition affects their ability to perform work related tasks. They are invited to provide additional medical evidence to support this. They are then interviewed by DWP appointed health assessors and their doctor / consultant might be contacted DWP for supporting evidence.

If their claim is accepted they may then be placed in the 'Limited Capability for Work' (LCW) group. People in this group are not expected to look for a job but are required to participate in "work related activity" that prepares them for work in the future. This might be work focused interviews, skills training courses, CV writing etc. People in this group get no extra UC money.

Claimants whose health conditions are such that they are not able to work or participate in work related activity (equivalent to Support Group in ESA) receive an additional £354.28 per month.

I would never suggest that there're not people who have managed to 'blag' the system to get benefits but in my experience as a Citizens Advice advisor I often wonder how they do it because I deal with a lot of claimants who have enormous difficulty getting what they are clearly entitled to. DWP culture seems to be that every claimant is on the fiddle and their job is to deny any claim if at all possible.

annanuttall

VIP Member
When I was last unemployed we went through the entire assessment - husband and I as I couldn't claim it just for myself, only to then be told I wouldn't get anything as my husband is paid too much and would be able to support me. Waste of my bloody time!!

• Sad

Cantstandspanj

Chatty Member
I know someone who completely blagged the mental health assessment and got further diagnosis on adhd etc. he told us flat out that he would never work again as why would he be arsed? He receive over £1000 in UC and has never worked more than a day and as he said never will! Then my house are struggling to pay bills etc with both of us working full time 😶
I can understand that this may seem a lot for someone not in employment. But if this is a single person their standard allowance for a month is £334. If they’ve been found not fit for work related activity they will receive a futher £354 on top of this. That comes to £688. If they’re receiving £1000 that means they’re also getting money towards the cost of rent. Therefore they have £1000 in total to pay all bills including housing costs, these days that doesn’t go far.
I appreciate this may be frustrating if you’re struggling to pay your bills while in work, or even more so if they really have ‘blagged’ their medical assessment, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be living a comfortable life on this especially with the current cost of living crisis and future increases to energy bills.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I claimed it for a few months when I was job-seeking. I also claimed JSA before UC came in years ago when I was in between jobs. Really don’t know how people survive on it full time - think it’s just that, surviving.

I find the staff really patronising and demoralising. I only have access to public transport yet my ‘work coach’ wanted me to travel well outside my area where I live for work. Your self-esteem goes and you feel a failure walking into the jobcentre. The sanctions are ridiculously cruel. Watch I Daniel Blake by Ken Loach, it’s a real eye opener.
I also was on jobseekers once. They wanted be ro rewrite my cv in a certain format (that probably only people on jobseekers use) and I told them that the format I had used was obviously good enough whe I got my last job. They kept threatening to stop my money even though they hadn't paid me anything yet. They didn't pay me my entitlement and I had to phone up somewhere. Apparently that is a common occurrence, they almost made people beg for it .

• Sad

under the ivy

VIP Member
I claimed it for a few months when I was job-seeking. I also claimed JSA before UC came in years ago when I was in between jobs. Really don’t know how people survive on it full time - think it’s just that, surviving.

I find the staff really patronising and demoralising. I only have access to public transport yet my ‘work coach’ wanted me to travel well outside my area where I live for work. Your self-esteem goes and you feel a failure walking into the jobcentre. The sanctions are ridiculously cruel. Watch I Daniel Blake by Ken Loach, it’s a real eye opener.

• Heart

Louisej3

VIP Member
I’m on it and I think it’s awful.

Signed up initially after finishing university so they could aid me in finding a job. Laughable effort. I have cerebral palsy which means I struggle to walk, stay on my feet, and carry things (I receive full PIP and told them all of this) - no word of a lie EVERY job they sent me for was inappropriate - I was told to apply for the Amazon warehouse (you know the one where you’re on your feet working for your Entire shift and you’re penalised if you’re too slow?) turned that down they told me to try waitressing (again on my feet and having to carry heavy plates - impossible) they then implied i was trying it on and being purposely difficult because I was turning the jobs down.

Gave up, decided to go back to university to complete my masters, told them this so they could adjust my payments (this was in october 2020). Guess when they paid me my first payment of UC? Go on?

July this year. Yes really. This was after months of arguing back and forth with them as they based my payment off of how much student loan I am entitled to and they refused to believe how much I was getting and again implied I was lying. In July I finally sorted it, and they pay me the princely sum of £30 a week 😆🤣😆🤣

The thing is, i still live at home with my mother - so I really appreciate the privileged position I’m in, I really appreciate that I don’t rely on UC to get by and I’m just using it as ‘pocket money’ on top of PIP. But the way they run the system is AWFUL, they really see you as just a number, there’s no considering those who really do rely on that money. 😬
They have done this to my disabled brother too he has autism and spina bifida and is in a wheelchair unable to walk they keep sending him job requests that he's not able to do

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
the £86 or however much it is deduction is going to be so crazy in october. it will be all over the papers really awful, especially to be stopping it in the colder months. people will struggle!
It was only ever temporary and that was made clear from the off. It's already had one extension and the end of that was clearly told in plenty of time. People have been calling it a cut when it's just a return to how things were. I have more sympathy for those on benefits like JSA who have missed out on around 1500 quid from it not being extended to them.

Thetruth123

VIP Member
I think it works for people who only need it to
Top up a low wage. I don’t think it works for those who are reliant on it completely or for those who are in serious social need (homeless/addicts/those with mental health issues) - I watched an episode of benefits Britain not too long ago and it was focused on UC in Hartlepool. Some of the people featured were just taking the piss but some were seriously poor souls who needed real help - not just financially but real social
Help. One guy was sanctioned and got no money, because he didn’t reply to a letter. But that’s because he had hardly any eye sight and didn’t have a phone in his (hell hole) flat so couldn’t phone them etc - it was hard to watch, he was having a breakdown in a phone box outside the job centre because no one in the job centre would see him as he didn’t have an appointment and they told him to phone the main UC phone number to book an appointment- but he had no money to use the phone box!
That is extremely distressing and hard to hear let alone watch but the main UC number is free!!!
So again just can’t help but feel the media feed into this and fabricate some not all of what we see 😓😓😓