Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BaxterBillions

VIP Member
Has anyone else still not received the cost of living payment when they are 100% eligible. I work and get uc, a friend who is in the same position and works same hours received hers a week ago. I read 99% of payments were made by 20th July. There's only 4 working days left for them to pay so losing hope with it
It's not based on how many hours worked, it's purely based on whether you received a payment of UC over £0.01 in your UC statement between 26th April and 25th May. What does your statement say for that period?

leon19

It's not based on how many hours worked, it's purely based on whether you received a payment of UC over £0.01 in your UC statement between 26th April and 25th May. What does your statement say for that period?
Yes I received £400 in that period

Lovegin

VIP Member
I was on it for approximately 1 1/2 years , I found the forms really easy to fill in (maybe because I was a single claimant). I used to have to see my advisor once a month and got petrol money for going. I received £380 a month didn’t get any housing benefits. I think the amount I was claiming went up by £100 + just after I stopped claiming (March 20).

I could only keep uc if I was working full time

those who don’t believe they should support a partner financially that they are living with in the case of redundancy etc do you also think that pensions etc shouldn’t be given? It’s been in the news a lot as cohabiting couples want the same rights as married couples

KawaiiSloth

Chatty Member
What does 'living together as if you're married' mean? I have been with my partner for nearly 2 years, recently moved in with him because it's easier to find work where he lives. We are both working but earning below the living wage. He also gets ESA and PIP for some health issues he has. Not sure if we would need to do a couples claim?

Sophiab1995

Tax credits would be part of your universal credit claim now. It’s called the child elemen. So how much you get would be determined by your other income, if that’s only going to be universal credit. You’ll receive the full child element.
You’ll also receive an element for yourself as well as help towards the cost of your rent (unless you own your property) it’ll all be paid as one payment.
As your child is just a baby you won’t be required to look for work yet so if you can afford to live on your payment you can have a bit more time off with the baby if that helps.
The child element is £277 per month. Your element depends on your age. Have a look here:-
Try not to stress, it is a horrible benefit. If you’re struggling go to your local CAB or Welfare Rights Team at your local authority, they might be able to help.
i live with my mum so I’d only be entitled to £500+ I’m 24, is that right? It’s so confusing. Thank you so much for your help x

VelvetTears

The whole assessment process is flawed as hell if you don't have a physical illness. Im lucky i have my parents to help me but they can't do it once they retire.

margaretta

VIP Member
Has anyone else still not received the cost of living payment when they are 100% eligible. I work and get uc, a friend who is in the same position and works same hours received hers a week ago. I read 99% of payments were made by 20th July. There's only 4 working days left for them to pay so losing hope with it
If you’re on Working Tax Credits, they’ve now said the first payment won’t be made until the autumn.
Scroll down on this page for the payment dates.

Droosie123

VIP Member
What I don't get is why the government is subsidising savings for people on universal credit?

Is it even enough left over to save anything???!

No it isn't, it just tops up my husband's income. I'm a Carer and can't work at the moment because of those caring responsibilities.

My husband is self employed and the Mininmum Income Floor is a nightmare ...especially in families like ours where only one adult can realistically work. Ironically we'd be better off if he gave up self employment and took a minimum wage job but he loves what he does.

In months where his income is under £1000 UC still assumes he has earned £1000 ...venue of he's had a really bad month and it's half that. It doesn't happen often thankfully but when it does we end up really struggling......and that's a horrible experience.

Thankfully now life is more normal again his work is picking up. I hope we will get back to previous levels of income and not need UC.

Lovelylavenderface

Oh also I went in it once in summer when I didn’t have a job as a student to find a summer job and they made it he’ll for me - they told me I had to volunteer full time hours every week in a charity shop to get my benefit just thought it was too much what they were asking, full time hours no exception for my anxiety either.

Yel

Chatty Member
I’ve been lurking on this thread but keeping my head down (due to being burned on mumsnet over this subject in the past!).
I’ve just worked it out and I would have to work 4 extra hours to get an extra £20 (more like £21.60) per week. I have 2 children.
Ah interesting! I was taking the BBC report at face value. It's clearly a pretty complex picture with lots to factor in. Could almost do with a half an hour infographics show to explain the scenarios!

leon19

Kate1970

VIP Member
Throughout Covid I found myself not working again (it is a long story), and we had the same situation again where they deemed my husband as earning too much. I genuinely had to fight tooth and nail to get a little bit of cash, It was made harder as you couldn't see anyone face to face due to Covid so it was all rubbish journal entries and me ringing up the jobcentre day and night. I came off it two months ago but told my husband that it was my last ever experience on there.
I sent a cheeky message to them on my journal, basically asking even if there was anything at all, I could claim! Just to take pressure off my partner more than anything! He's paying utilities, rent , council tax, Internet! Basically told 'nothing" as he's just over the threshold where we can still claim u.c!
He is able to support me of course, but it makes it more difficult

soph30

VIP Member
I understand and to some extent can sympathise with your point. I'd be interested in the mechanics of how this works. Presumably writing scripts doesn't generate a regular income so he can say he's not working while doing it and then just have one period when he gets an income. I guess the film work and lecturing must be fairly intermittent too. In February this year the rules changed so that claimants only have 4 weeks to find a job in their chosen field before they have to start applying for any job that they are capable of doing. Perhaps he hasn't been caught by that yet or he has a particularly lenient work coach.
This of course is the problem with society- how can he get another job when these ad hoc ones come up? Is he meant to say no when he gets an email asking if he can come in and do lecturing because he has some retail job? Workers need structure and proper contracts

Thetruth123

VIP Member
I can understand that this may seem a lot for someone not in employment. But if this is a single person their standard allowance for a month is £334. If they’ve been found not fit for work related activity they will receive a futher £354 on top of this. That comes to £688. If they’re receiving £1000 that means they’re also getting money towards the cost of rent. Therefore they have £1000 in total to pay all bills including housing costs, these days that doesn’t go far.
I appreciate this may be frustrating if you’re struggling to pay your bills while in work, or even more so if they really have ‘blagged’ their medical assessment, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be living a comfortable life on this especially with the current cost of living crisis and future increases to energy bills.
I can understand that this may seem a lot for someone not in employment. But if this is a single person their standard allowance for a month is £334. If they’ve been found not fit for work related activity they will receive a futher £354 on top of this. That comes to £688. If they’re receiving £1000 that means they’re also getting money towards the cost of rent. Therefore they have £1000 in total to pay all bills including housing costs, these days that doesn’t go far.
I appreciate this may be frustrating if you’re struggling to pay your bills while in work, or even more so if they really have ‘blagged’ their medical assessment, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be living a comfortable life on this especially with the current cost of living crisis and future increases to energy bills.
I’m with the person who you quoted as my brother in law claims mental health is single has no place though as he is deemed not a priority even know he claims for mental health …. Go figure..
He is as lazy as they come, all he wants to do is drugs , steal ..literally and lounge around all day!!!
And he gets over £1000 a month yet pleads poverty 😂😂😂
System is a joke!!!!

Melian

VIP Member
My housing association are expecting us to make a £5 a week contribution to rent to ensure we're (because universal credit is paid in arrears) not in arrears. How does someone on £75 a week who already pays £5 a week council tax do that and live?

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
Wait, you got a student loan AND UC? That wasn’t allowed in my day.
I get it because I’m on PIP. :) if I wasn’t I wouldn’t be able to. even then it’s not much as they still take the loan into account, so I get the reduced payment of £120.