Ukraine Russia War #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone explain the war crimes stuff and if its a viable option of possibly stopping him?
Not a dickey bird, sadly. Laws only really matter to people who obey them, or who don't have the allies to help them ignore them.

They've been found guilty of war crimes in the past, for instance Chechnya, and Syria (and others) by the European Court of Human Rights. When the International Criminal Court started to investigate the Crimean annexation, Russia pulled out. And again, it's a long process of investigations, analysis, trials, and then justice is delayed and oh god that Dickens quote about the wheels of justice being slow is so apt.

But, if the amazing happens, and Putain is deposed, or he's indicted and sets foot out of Russia, he can be arrested and tried. Victims can also claim reparations.

But to be honest, I've forgotten a lot about the ICC, the ECHR, and the Council of Europe (of which Russia has just pulled out). Things were different for the Western Balkans, there was a special court.

I'm off to the big library tomorrow or Monday to abuse their academic journal access, so I'll do more reading.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Yel

He obviously doesn't consider young, beautiful women a covid/poisoning threat given how close he is sat at their table šŸ¤”
They've probably been in quarantine for days beforehand and several invasive searches, before being stripped again checked and given what to wear by the Kremlin. Not even joking. This PR exercise probably started a week ago.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Absolutely horrendous.
They will enjoy taunting them.
Then shooting them for laughs.
In Russia people in mental health institutions are considered worthless & useless . Russians are told so in school lessons under putin, too. I recall reading a feature in the newspaper a few years back about it.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 38
Not a dickey bird, sadly. Laws only really matter to people who obey them, or who don't have the allies to help them ignore them.

They've been found guilty of war crimes in the past, for instance Chechnya, and Syria (and others) by the European Court of Human Rights. When the International Criminal Court started to investigate the Crimean annexation, Russia pulled out. And again, it's a long process of investigations, analysis, trials, and then justice is delayed and oh god that Dickens quote about the wheels of justice being slow is so apt.

But, if the amazing happens, and Putain is deposed, or he's indicted and sets foot out of Russia, he can be arrested and tried. Victims can also claim reparations.

But to be honest, I've forgotten a lot about the ICC, the ECHR, and the Council of Europe (of which Russia has just pulled out). Things were different for the Western Balkans, there was a special court.

I'm off to the big library tomorrow or Monday to abuse their academic journal access, so I'll do more reading.
Thank you for explaining that so well.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
They will enjoy taunting them.
Then shooting them for laughs.
In Russia people in mental health institutions are considered worthless & useless . Russians are told so in school lessons under putin, too. I recall reading a feature in the newspaper a few years back about it.
I can imagine theyā€™ll be terrified, some of them might not understand whatā€™s happening at all. Iā€™m not religious but God help them šŸ˜¢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Did anyone see this week's popbitch email? There was a link to the role British lawyers and lawfirms have played in shutting down any mention of the criminal activies of Russian firms and oligarchs, and their associates. There's a link here https://popbitch.com/latest-email/

1646501615720.png

One case against a FT journalist was dismissed this week https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...mpany-to-sue-journalist-is-dismissed-by-judge I've added this book to my library holds, along with the book by Bill Browder about his murdered lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky. The dirty money aspect is one of my main rabbitholes, I did my MA dissertation on AIB and the Irish Banking Tapes

• Wow
Reactions: 14
They've probably been in quarantine for days beforehand and several invasive searches, before being stripped again checked and given what to wear by the Kremlin. Not even joking. This PR exercise probably started a week ago.
Yeah, I did read something similar earlier that said as much. Lunacy.

Reactions: 5

Yel

As much as I like mark Austin, he really does need a day or two off. He's said Iranian rather than Ukraine a couple of times (although did correct himself) and keeps crashing the titles. He must know this sigh would be broadcast?

He's all over the place.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I have been watching football all day.

Minutes applause for Ukraine before games. Chelsea fans chanting "Roman Abramovich" over theirs.
Liverpool fans singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" over theirs.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
For someone who is as apparently unmoved by sanctions as Putin claims to be he donā€™t half talk about them a lot.

Reactions: 27
Oh dear lord

"The poor Russian atheletes" bit is meant to be sarcasm because that's the argument many use to not ban individual Russian athletes, in case anyone didnt catch that.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 23

Given the fact that someone like Prince Andrew can walk around with such impunity, I hold no high hopes that the ICC will be able to make a dent in Russia's pomposity. After all, there are many war criminals striding the streets in BiH, knowing that they will never be held accountable.
I do not know if this shall be an unpopular thought, but it is merely a musing: that law has become so labrynthine, so congested, so drawn out that it actually enables criminals to commit these atrocities, rather than fear the scales of justice.

Reactions: 11
For someone who is as apparently unmoved by sanctions as Putin claims to be he donā€™t half talk about them a lot.
If he didnā€™t care heā€™d open their stock market back up and let the Russian population see the damage.

ā€œThe Russian stock market canā€™t crash if there is no Russian stock marketā€

• Haha
Reactions: 30

the uk doesnā€™t mess about
Really? We've not done nearly enough to sanction oligarchs and seize their effects. How many is it now, nine out of 150? The Tories are up to their elbows in dirty money, including Camilla's nephew. Putain is mad with Al Johnson because he's cut off his main money-laundering route.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound snappy: I've been watching the BBC's roundup of the ten days of war and it's broken my heart.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Attacking the nuclear power plants again
Iā€™m sorry but Iā€™m not buying oh the poor Russian soldiers story, they donā€™t want to hurt their neighbours and are crying for their mammies etc..šŸ™„Theyā€™ve got a simple brief to destroy everything in Ukraine including civilians and dangerous power plants. I canā€™t fathom why the international community isnā€™t going ā€œhold the f@&k on there now this has to stopā€ and actually do something about it. We could have a nuclear holocaust across Europe šŸ˜±

Reactions: 21

Iā€™m sorry but Iā€™m not buying oh the poor Russian soldiers story, they donā€™t want to hurt their neighbours and are crying for their mammies etc..šŸ™„Theyā€™ve got a simple brief to destroy everything in Ukraine including civilians and dangerous power plants. I canā€™t fathom why the international community isnā€™t going ā€œhold the f@&k on there now this has to stopā€ and actually do something about it. We could have a nuclear holocaust across Europe šŸ˜±
Itā€™s like theyā€™re goading NATO into action by targeting these plants .

• Angry
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.