Ukraine Russia War #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apologies for the silly question but I don’t really understand everything, what does it mean when they say a city has fallen to the Russians? Have they killed everyone in the city? The world is a scary place but I find this thread helpful to have a better understanding.
No ,just that they've taken over the city .

Reactions: 8
Watching BBC news and Clive’s voice is full of emotion as he talks about being woken by the sound of a woman sobbing :cry: I don’t know how the reporters are still out there, they are doing a great job.
Also wanted to say this thread has been so useful to help with understanding the situation- thank you!
All the reporters, camera operators, sound technicians etc deserve medals. Can’t be easy for them and their families.

Reactions: 20
Awful, that’s where the people are using as a safe space

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
Ukrainians are amazing. I’m holding onto hope they can keep hold of the capital.
I was very moved by Zelenskyy interview last night,he seemed so tired and nearlybroken. I really hope he makes it through this, as If anything happens to him I think Ukrainians could give up.

how has Roman Abramovich got dual citizenship of Israel and Portugal? Excuse my ignorance but I thought he was Russian ?
if he is selling all assets in UK can he take that money with him ? Or is it sanctioned?
Finally did you see how Google pay and Apple Pay stopped their systems working in russia today ?? It caused mayhem in metro stations ….. no amount of propaganda is gonna get him out of that one, people were so annoyed.

I also see that georgia has brought forward its application for membership of the EU , it wasn’t due to formally apply until 2024

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
how has Roman Abramovich got dual citizenship of Israel and Portugal? Excuse my ignorance but I thought he was Russian ?
I’m not sure but I would imagine he either still has Russian citizenship or he gave it up to protect his interests. He’s Russian as he was born there, grew up there etc. I didn’t realise he had Portuguese citizenship until this week but he managed to get Israeli citizenship because he’s Jewish and Israel has a law called ‘Law of Return’ in their citizenship policy.
Edited to add: just looked it up and it seems he still has Russian citizenship and gained Portuguese in 2020 or 2021 but the authorities were investigating this as of Jan 2022. Looks like he did it to get an EU or Western passport as he lost his visa here and it would be easier to trade if he had a nationality in the West.

Reactions: 12
Thanks for that … did seem odd to me.

perhaps he realised Putin might potentially start a war

Reactions: 6
Ukrainians are amazing. I’m holding onto hope they can keep hold of the capital.
I was very moved by Zelenskyy interview last night,he seemed so tired and nearlybroken. I really hope he makes it through this, as If anything happens to him I think Ukrainians could give up.

if he is selling all assets in UK can he take that money with him ? Or is it sanctioned?
Finally did you see how Google pay and Apple Pay stopped their systems working in russia today ?? It caused mayhem in metro stations ….. no amount of propaganda is gonna get him out of that one, people were so annoyed.
I think Ukrainians would get even more pissed off if the Russians killed their President. They are fired up already to fight for their homeland, imagine if they were fired up for revenge!

The mayor is a world champion boxer; Miss Ukraine has a custom pink rifle; an elderly woman has been confronting soldiers and telling them to put sunflower seeds in their pockets so flowers grow when the soldiers die; men are casually removing bombs from the middle of the road and smoking a cigarette as they do so; people are driving past the convoy with flamethrowers and standing in front of tanks. Farmers in tractors are boldly towing away Russian tanks …Ukranian people are built different 🇺🇦🌻

• Heart
Reactions: 34
One last question before I try to get some sleep..

Why haven’t the Ukrainians bombed the military convoy that’s 60km long ?
mine news report mentioned the possible lack of ammunition already (which is very frightening) but also seems implausible considering all the donations they‘be had from other countries ?

Reactions: 5
Is anyone else sick of whattaboutery? A relative of mine sent me a list of countries the west has bombed in the last so many years. What the duck is his point? That Putin is right because of our shady governments of the past? That he should not be stopped?

As I’ve said before on these threads, I acknowledge the problem of ‘the west’ othering black and brown victims of war but now isn’t the time to be making stupid points like who the west bombed. That’s not the fault of any civilian caught up in this monstrous depravity.
I am - and I take such issue with it. Suffering is suffering; you can't keep comparing and contrasting it or accusing people of not caring about other communities' suffering. I think many people engage in this behaviour for clout and to show they are 'woke' or 'smart thinkers' when really they are behaving in a nasty and cruel manner. It's not right or fair to use other communities' suffering to belittle another's, when most of these people didn't give two sh*ts about these other conflicts in the world (I saw how many non-Afghans didn't turn up to the peace rallies of last summer that were held in over 70 cities worldwide) but now they want to start making noise about it for likes and comments online. I don't buy it; in my opinion it's insincere activism. I'd rather stand alone than with a group of fake people. I don't think anyone gets anywhere by trying to guilt trip or play mind games on others - many people from these war and conflict zones are actually showing empathy, raising awareness, trying to help and show solidarity with the Ukrainians because they know what it's like (sorry for being late to this thread; I had a really rough day, don't feel very happy inside and I decided to take a day away from digital devices)

• Heart

mine news report mentioned the possible lack of ammunition already (which is very frightening) but also seems implausible considering all the donations they‘be had from other countries ?
Because they're running out of fire power according to the media. But like it's been a slug for a few days now so hopefully there's an attack planned

• Wow

They seem to have been picking them off as they enter the individual cities/communities

I am - and I take such issue with it. Suffering is suffering; you can't keep comparing and contrasting it or accusing people of not caring about other communities' suffering. I think many people engage in this behaviour for clout and to show they are 'woke' or 'smart thinkers' when really they are behaving in a nasty and cruel manner. It's not right or fair to use other communities' suffering to belittle another's, when most of these people didn't give two sh*ts about these other conflicts in the world (I saw how many non-Afghans didn't turn up to the peace rallies of last summer that were held in over 70 cities worldwide) but now they want to start making noise about it for likes and comments online. I don't buy it; in my opinion it's insincere activism. I'd rather stand alone than with a group of fake people. I don't think anyone gets anywhere by trying to guilt trip or play mind games on others - many people from these war and conflict zones are actually showing empathy, raising awareness, trying to help and show solidarity with the Ukrainians because they know what it's like (sorry for being late to this thread; I had a really rough day, don't feel very happy inside and I decided to take a day away from digital devices)
I hope you’re ok?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Could also be because lack of manpower? Their armour and equipment is relatively old compared to what the Russians have.
I’m not sure if this is related but they have had a lot of Presidents in the past few years and I think a few were Russian sympathetic, maybe they deliberately didn’t invest in the armed forces to appease Russia and the consequences are starting to show?

Reactions: 7
I hope you’re ok?
Thank you so much for asking - I really appreciate it ❤
Tbh I've not been feeling too chirpy for a while now - I think a lot of stuff is hitting me all at the same time - I also live with a chronic illness and while I can still work/do my job; etc. it's frustrating to live with (it's one of those illnesses where you physically look 'fine' but on the inside it's a whole other story no one sees) and I hate how it's made my world become so small and impacts my well-being. Yesterday and even today (so far) it's hit me quite hard, I'm thankful to have access to a therapist, so I'm hoping to lighten the emotional load in my next session because I feel drained, empty but also restless/aggravated

I’m not sure but I would imagine he either still has Russian citizenship or he gave it up to protect his interests. He’s Russian as he was born there, grew up there etc. I didn’t realise he had Portuguese citizenship until this week but he managed to get Israeli citizenship because he’s Jewish and Israel has a law called ‘Law of Return’ in their citizenship policy.
Edited to add: just looked it up and it seems he still has Russian citizenship and gained Portuguese in 2020 or 2021 but the authorities were investigating this as of Jan 2022. Looks like he did it to get an EU or Western passport as he lost his visa here and it would be easier to trade if he had a nationality in the West.
I read somewhere - ages ago and I can't remember where (maybe the Haaretz) that he's claimed Sephardic heritage and used that for his Portuguese citizenship, because lots of Sephardic Jewish people whose families were expelled from Spain and Portugal can reclaim/claim citizenship

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Two interesting threads. The first is about African nations responses and reasons behind them.

This one is about why so many Russian vehicles are getting stuck or being abandoned and why the 40 mile convoy is making slow progress. I never knew I’d find this sort of stuff so fascinating

• Heart
Thank you so much for asking - I really appreciate it ❤
Tbh I've not been feeling too chirpy for a while now - I think a lot of stuff is hitting me all at the same time - I also live with a chronic illness and while I can still work/do my job; etc. it's frustrating to live with (it's one of those illnesses where you physically look 'fine' but on the inside it's a whole other story no one sees) and I hate how it's made my world become so small and impacts my well-being. Yesterday and even today (so far) it's hit me quite hard, I'm thankful to have access to a therapist, so I'm hoping to lighten the emotional load in my next session because I feel drained, empty but also restless/aggravated

I read somewhere - ages ago and I can't remember where (maybe the Haaretz) that he's claimed Sephardic heritage and used that for his Portuguese citizenship, because lots of Sephardic Jewish people whose families were expelled from Spain and Portugal can reclaim/claim citizenship
I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s great that you have a therapist. So many things have got us all so down in recent years and you have an illness too so it’s not surprising that you are feeling particularly low. I feel like I was definitely badly affected by global unrest when I was younger - I was terrified after 9/11 for example. These days Im a little bit more resilient but it was a long road and treatment for me to get to that point. I still have to be very careful and limit my exposure so I understand how it is for those who are struggling. During the height of the pandemic I didn’t watch any of the PM nation addresses and I think that has helped.

Years ago, one of my friends told me that when she’s particularly stressed or worried, she makes a list of some treats that she has arranged for herself to look forward to.

I hope you’ll be feeling better soon 💐

• Heart
Reactions: 12
1646271858931.png

1646271895122.png

1646271926497.png

1646272047562.png

I find this an amusing point as Putin holds Nicholas II as one of two greatest traitors to Russia

1646272134320.png

Ukraine has set up a website explaining why Russia invaded:

Reactions: 13
I’m so sorry to hear this. It’s great that you have a therapist. So many things have got us all so down in recent years and you have an illness too so it’s not surprising that you are feeling particularly low. I feel like I was definitely badly affected by global unrest when I was younger - I was terrified after 9/11 for example. These days Im a little bit more resilient but it was a long road and treatment for me to get to that point. I still have to be very careful and limit my exposure so I understand how it is for those who are struggling. During the height of the pandemic I didn’t watch any of the PM nation addresses and I think that has helped.

Years ago, one of my friends told me that when she’s particularly stressed or worried, she makes a list of some treats that she has arranged for herself to look forward to.

I hope you’ll be feeling better soon 💐

I'm lucky to have one to be very honest. I think you're right: it's been such a heavy few years and in the world of work, there's this expectation to carry on and give 110% (corporate nonsense; thankfully my current job doesn't have that crazy expectation) no matter what. I hope to be a bit more resilient with global unrest - my dad seems so unfazed by this (lived through the Cold War, Soviet Union invasion of Afg, Russian peacocking behaviour, wars etc.) and he has been trying to keep me calm - bless him. I completely dropped off during the pandemic news coverage (I was shielding, so I was in the house all the time) because it was too overwhelming. I really like what your friend does - I'm going to do that and make sure I have small things to look forward to. Thank you for being so kind, so caring and checking in on me - it means so much. I'm always so moved by the kindness and care from people on here - I think we get a bad rep for being 'nusty trollz' when I've found that the vast majority of people here have their heads screwed on, are conscientious and supportive. I'm glad to see the threads are carrying on, that they're still warm-hearted spaces that are welcoming ❤ (I'll go look at some photos of Zaddy Zelenskyy to lift my spirits lol)

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.