Ukraine Russia War #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting piece on radio 4 at lunchtime. They were saying that Putin's support has risen 12 per cent. The propaganda there has been very successful. It's only younger urban people who use the internet that understand what's really happening.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
It’s not a new thing at all! They’ve been allowed to compete for a couple of years now even though there was a complete 4 year ban on Russian athletes. They just go by ROC at the Olympics and RPC at the paralympics and use a white flag but obviously everyone knows which country they represent.

I recommend the documentary Icarus on Netflix if anyone has the time.

The difference this time being that they have to compete under the paralympic flag and they won't be in the medals table - so it's pointless competing anyway. I think the argument is that they should be banned completely for Putin's behaviour, that's certainly my view. I mean, they should have been banned a long time ago but that's a debate for another day!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So Russia are mad because Ukraine might join NATO in future. Representative from China speaking on BBC news right now thinks that is the key issue. I wish Ukraine would say Ok we promise not to join NATO just to get a ceasefire in place and do whatever it wants in future. I'm sure that would start war back up again but at least Ukraine/NATO could prepare a bit more.
It’s not that simple and more time to prepare wouldn’t make much difference. This has been brewing for a long time. Putin is unhinged, he has invaded Ukraine because he has a twisted perspective of history and essentially wants Russia to be a bigger influence in Europe again, to recreate the empire with him as Tsar. Yielding anything now won’t make him stop. He has no regard for international law or order, or human rights, he’s made that quite clear.

It’s important to remember that he made several demands of NATO before Christmas. In addition to not allowing Ukraine to enter NATO, he wanted NATO to make changes to European defence/security arrangements to suit Russia.

I quite like the articles I’ve read from the following site, there’s a Q&A with Fiona Hill at the bottom of the page too.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Unfortunately there are developing countries who have long memories about the exploitation from the west and Europe. I know it's the governments of those countries making the decisions to support Russia or remain neutral, but again their comeback is look what the west did to Africa and Asia back in the day. China have stamped their mark in Africa, and China side mostly with Russia, so it becomes complicated.

According to a friend who wears a uniform, the drones are being operated out of Poland. Hoping they have enough kit to make a difference. Very very brave of Poland to allow this.

• Heart

Yel

Channel 4 has picked up the rights for his TV show and will show episode 1 this Sunday along with a documentary. I know it's on YouTube but it's a bit patchy with the subtitles. I'll wait untill they're all on channel 4s demand thing.

THIS SUNDAY: Channel 4 to broadcast satirical Ukrainian series, Servant of The People and current affairs special, Zelenskyy: The Man Who Took on Putin

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Interesting piece on radio 4 at lunchtime. They were saying that Putin's support has risen 12 per cent. The propaganda there has been very successful. It's only younger urban people who use the internet that understand what's really happening.
I heard someone on the radio say the same. Apparently the sanctions there haven’t really worked in the way we would hope, and they are only emboldening public more towards Putin and thinking the west is bad for doing this to them. He said that the frustrations around the sanctions are being directed towards us and not Putin, because at the end of the day it’s the west who are applying the sanctions and not Putin.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
I read that he was expelled then re admitted so not sure on his current status within the party - but there are members of the Labour Party who listen and are part of this Labour Left Alliance. Who’s many nut jobs in that party
884AACD0-B80D-4AB0-9D5D-56DB877161CF.jpeg

I heard someone on the radio say the same. Apparently the sanctions there haven’t really worked in the way we would hope, and they are only emboldening public more towards Putin and thinking the west is bad for doing this to them. He said that the frustrations around the sanctions are being directed towards us and not Putin, because at the end of the day it’s the west who are applying the sanctions and not Putin.
Have we still only sanctioned 3 oligarchs that were already sanctioned? What about the rest who are having a fire sale on their assets?
Could it be that the MPs all benefitted greatly from the blood money?
6771B021-788B-41E5-918D-493D3AAADACF.jpeg

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
That can't be a surprise to the west though surely? They were always going to go one of two ways, and if all the public have heard for decades is how evil the west is, this will just prove that point

Reactions: 10
Oh my god is anyone watching channel 4? This woman blaming NATO and arguing with Matt Frei.

She’s saying (whoever she is) that they [Russia] will leave when they’ve got the job done… mind blowing.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Shame but I don’t think it matters too much whether the Russians lap up his propaganda because it will be the elite who overthrow him and the sanctions are definitely hurting them. He won’t let the proletariat anywhere near him.

I went to Ukraine in 2012 when they jointly hosted the Euros Football Championship with Poland. We went to Lyiv, Kharkiv and Kyiv to watch matches. We went as guests of a company my husband worked with. We were wined and dined and treated well. We had a happy time, it was wonderful. Such fun.

Today I have seen streets we went to, buildings we saw, places we stood, being shelled and attacked.

I know we have had other conflicts around the world in our lifetime, Iraq, Palestine, Israel, Yugoslav, Cenepa, Aceh, and so on and on and on.

But when you see places you have been being attacked, it is suddenly more personal. I wasn't watching the news at first but today I have done, I should probably stop. It is a lot.

Liked Zelenskyy said today on the UN vote - you have chosen the right side of history.

I hope "we" do enough, and more if needed. 💙💛

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Yel

Good that they finally addressed it, was obvious something had happened. Glad the team out there are safe.

It was somewhat reassuring having the cathedral constantly present in the background, sadly it's not surprising that it's no longer safe. 😔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.