UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Food stamps would be horrible and degrading. I know some people take the piss but the reality is that type of control is basically a work house and not everyone is on benefits by choice.
That’s the problem though, there’s an unspoken high standard which has been set and for some reason we see it as ‘degrading’ to not give people cash and give them vouchers instead? Maybe people need to be a little less proud and things like that would become the norm and people wouldn’t look down on it? :/ at the end of the day it’s support and welfare and I’m sure people would be grateful regardless of the form it comes in.

Reactions: 7
I've read this thread. I'm getting my 50 cence in,for what its worth. I am part of a 2 parent working household with a 1 year old child. He works full time and I now work part time after having our son. I am 100% a Labour supporter and so is my husband. We are in the fortunate positon where we ourselves are comfortably off,not in big highly paid jobs but jobs that pay the bills because we work to live and not live to work. Anyway, I don't fact check everything I see,I haven't got all the stats,I dont know what Jeremy Corbyn did when he was 20 that pissed everyone off and I don't know if Boris really did have that dirty affair. But what I do know is this country is a bloody laughing stock,the world is laughing at us. It needs to stop being about division. It need to be about trying to rebuild what remains of all the tit. But what do any of us know,we are nobodys and we are powerless! And that is the worst bloody bit about all of this! Whether you've got a 100k job or 12k a year job,ultimately you are as powerless as eachother.

Anyway signing off! It's tit, everything is tit! No one knows what's happening...merry bloody Christmas and a happy sodding 2020 🎅 ho ho ho

Reactions: 11
I don't think its about being proud. More that its basic humanity that people get somewhat freewill. That said ...humanity is long gone in the world right now anyway.

I voted Labour and always have, with previous elections, I didn’t care as much with tory wins ( prob ignorant of me) however with tories winning with a majority this time, based on their current leader who hates/disrespects, females, hates muslims, is Racist AF and lets not forget how he has treated the poor before I am just astounded yet people thought JC was the bad guy in all this!!!

its just felt like a massive duck you to people like me who is an immigrant female muslim raised by a single mum!

How can any person esp females, justify voting for a party with this as their leader?

• Sad
Reactions: 20
How can any person esp females, justify voting for a party with this as their leader?
I would love to hear the thoughts of people who voted for him on this, genuinely very interested. I haven't seen much response to it anywhere other than to shift the blame - "well Jeremy Corbyn is antisemitic" (not on here I mean generally). I don't think that's a reason to justify voting for a party led by Boris Johnson after he has made many racist, misogynistic and homophobic remarks. I could understand if there were only two options, but there were other parties to vote for.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The consultant had nothing to gain from making this up, so I believe him, he was in a position to know the patients' situations. I'm not begrudging anyone anything, just pointing out that "stealing" can and does happen. Please don't put words into my mouth.
I’m not necessarily saying he was lieing but one persons story doesn’t prove anything. It doesn’t prove that it’s happening on a large enough scale to mean it can be considered ‘stealing’ from tax payers. And if we accept that those 3 people had dialysis, I don’t think that’s a problem. You responded to my first post about it being largely a myth that immigrants are the reason for the nhs strain, unemployment etc as ‘angry’ so you clearly do think it’s a problem for someone who doesn’t have the right piece of paperwork to have life saving treatment here. What words am I putting in your mouth?

I would love to hear the thoughts of people who voted for him on this, genuinely very interested. I haven't seen much response to it anywhere other than to shift the blame - "well Jeremy Corbyn is antisemitic" (not on here I mean generally). I don't think that's a reason to justify voting for a party led by Boris Johnson after he has made many racist, misogynistic and homophobic remarks. I could understand if there were only two options, but there were other parties to vote for.
I personally voted for policies and what was realistic rather than the people. Don’t like any of them tbh 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 4
This is extremely telling.
It’s such a shame that the majority of 70+ probably didn’t even vote with the young in mind, because let’s face it, it’s the younger generations that it’ll really impact.

I hope when I am that age, I consider how to use my vote wisely, and to benefit the many and not the few.

Reactions: 3
The divide between young and old is indeed interesting. In some ways, I feel older people do have the benefit of experience. They remember the 70s and the days of a hard left government, and don’t want to go back there. I am 29 and so only really have adult experience of a Tory government. Without a doubt a small minority of the older generations are motivated by racism and bigotry but I don’t think it’s fair to say all are. An interesting thought.

Reactions: 7
Completely lost why there are groups of masked youngsters out protesting last night. I love a good protest( my ma took me along to the walks during the teachers strike and I’ve been hooked since) but I never felt the need to cover my face during these. I appreciate we have a voice and we are allowed to use that (rightly so) but by going out and causing damage to the city and fighting the police how can you say you are protesting for the people! Yeah the people whose taxes paid for extra police resources, extra clean up operations and extra protection for officials. I was busy working a night shift last night, a night shift which wouldn’t allow me to buy a £150 pair of dm’s most of them had one, couldn’t they have used there time more productively then just bringing a bad light to their cause. And yes I know there were people on both sides of the argument last night causing trouble, do none of them like sleep?!
Off to get some sleep now ready for a lovely Saturday night shift in A&E!

Reactions: 2
It's very true history sometimes influences our decisions.
I grew up in the 80s I remember the house crash and decline economy.
I remember Blair came to power when I was 17.
I remember the financial crash with Gordon Brown at the helm.
I have always changed votes over years between the 2 main parties.
My dad's always been pro labour but he voted conservative this time as 1 he dident like corbyn. 2 he felt he voted leave eu and 3 their policies were more responsible.
It's odd to see people in news who say it's an hereditary thing I vote Labour because my family always have..
So I think lots in north and Midlands looking at policies looking at manifestos and making a decision based in that is good.
Labour took their vote for granted.
Saw one person say to reporter all these people came up from London to help campaign and talked about remain.
They can't seem to relate to working class voters who don't live in big affluent cities.
I have freinds who live in affluent areas who are heavily promoting labour on social media and they can't understand why working class people could vote blue.
I feel like saying to them you live in a huge house , you own your home, kids attend good local state schools and they have regular holidays.
They can't imagine how but feels to live in a council tower block, have a tit school and rely on food banks.
Your environment of course shapes how you vote.
People in stoke on Trent said they kept voting labour and always same result locally I guess. They want a change.
So although we switched from Tory government to another Tory government in least 50 areas of country having a Tory mp is a big change.

What I think interesting is this is the job Boris has always wanted I have a feeling he will try and not screw it up.
It seems as London mayor despite him being posh boy he can communicate with groups of people different to him that's some skill.
He s positive maybe he's being a bit pollyanna but labour were being so doom and gloom about leaving eu and bow conservatives will implement more cuts and sell off NHS all scaremongering lies.
I think austerity is over but they will continue to be fiscally responsible in terms of spending and taxes.
I think what intrigues me is the idea if this 1 nation conservatism and how conservatives will have to adapt to representing new areas and new voters.
He s got such a majority he doesn't have to rely on the awful DUP or pander to the erg.
I suppose we live in hope the erg be happier when we leave Europe anyway.
He has an exiting chance to reshape his party and I'm hoping he means it.
Part if me is hopeful in 5 years time we will think he's done ok and hopefully the country be less divided and we can build a bright future as a independent nation.
I do think it will be very different to Cameron and may years.
May was just a caretaker Boris could be a good leader and I hope he sees through on the many promises he's made.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It's very true history sometimes influences our decisions.
I grew up in the 80s I remember the house crash and decline economy.
I remember Blair came to power when I was 17.
I remember the financial crash with Gordon Brown at the helm.
I have always changed votes over years between the 2 main parties.
My dad's always been pro labour but he voted conservative this time as 1 he dident like corbyn. 2 he felt he voted leave eu and 3 their policies were more responsible.
It's odd to see people in news who say it's an hereditary thing I vote Labour because my family always have..
So I think lots in north and Midlands looking at policies looking at manifestos and making a decision based in that is good.
Labour took their vote for granted.
Saw one person say to reporter all these people came up from London to help campaign and talked about remain.
They can't seem to relate to working class voters who don't live in big affluent cities.
I have freinds who live in affluent areas who are heavily promoting labour on social media and they can't understand why working class people could vote blue.
I feel like saying to them you live in a huge house , you own your home, kids attend good local state schools and they have regular holidays.
They can't imagine how but feels to live in a council tower block, have a tit school and rely on food banks.
Your environment of course shapes how you vote.
People in stoke on Trent said they kept voting labour and always same result locally I guess. They want a change.
So although we switched from Tory government to another Tory government in least 50 areas of country having a Tory mp is a big change.

What I think interesting is this is the job Boris has always wanted I have a feeling he will try and not screw it up.
It seems as London mayor despite him being posh boy he can communicate with groups of people different to him that's some skill.
He s positive maybe he's being a bit pollyanna but labour were being so doom and gloom about leaving eu and bow conservatives will implement more cuts and sell off NHS all scaremongering lies.
I think austerity is over but they will continue to be fiscally responsible in terms of spending and taxes.
I think what intrigues me is the idea if this 1 nation conservatism and how conservatives will have to adapt to representing new areas and new voters.
He s got such a majority he doesn't have to rely on the awful DUP or pander to the erg.
I suppose we live in hope the erg be happier when we leave Europe anyway.
He has an exiting chance to reshape his party and I'm hoping he means it.
Part if me is hopeful in 5 years time we will think he's done ok and hopefully the country be less divided and we can build a bright future as a independent nation.
I do think it will be very different to Cameron and may years.
May was just a caretaker Boris could be a good leader and I hope he sees through on the many promises he's made.
I totally agree. I’ve always loved Boris for his personality. He’s got something that makes me smile when I see him. And I do think he will buckle down now and get on with the job. Fingers crossed!

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 4