UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“I find it odd to judge people based on which political party they voted for.”

How about Nazi Germany?

How about we are in 2019?:cautious:

I agree... and to be honest if you’re on an above average income... yes you are allowed to struggle but your “emergency” is not the same as being forced to go to food banks..... there really is no argument there I’m afraid. Some people are PISS poor and have to choose between food or heating.
So, because one persons struggles are different to another, its less of a struggle? I feel that's really unfair

Reactions: 2
I think the 90k thing is relative to where you live also. Yes it’s a lot of money but a 2 bed in London is like 400k minimum, or over £1000 a month in rent... yearly tube passes cost a fortune etc whereas you can buy a nice house up north for 100k etc.

Reactions: 7
Some of the comments on here from both sides of the camp are exactly why I keep my political opinions to myself. None of you know anything about each other’s personal lives or circumstances yet here you are ripping strips off each other. Just because you can’t ‘understand’ why someone would vote for Jeremy or Boris doesn’t make their reasons any less important than yours.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I actually can’t believe that people get angry over others doing well
I’m not angry that people are doing well, great for them, I’m sure they worked hard and deserved it.

What I hate is when people who are earning a lot look down on people who aren’t earning as much, you know the whole ‘of you worked harder you could earn more’ mentality, most people no matter what they do work hard in their jobs, the amount of wages do not equate to how hard you work.

I used to be a care assistant looking after vulnerable adults, I was paid just over minimum wage, and worked long hours in a mentally draining job, I worked hard for my wages x

• Heart
But I didn't compare them.

I mearly said those on above average incomes have similar outgoings and could struggle if they keep getting hit by hundreds of pounds in extra tax every month.

Why did you feel the need to make up a pov?
I do apologise- I misread your quote. You did not compare yourself to less fortunate individuals.
I was putting my dinner out (which I am grateful for) and I was clearly hungry and should not have been posting at the same time ha!
I do not necessarily agree that higher earners should pay more tax.

Reactions: 1
I’m sorry but no. Working hard is not a good enough reason. We ALL work hard. And it’s grand that you’re helping your sis thru uni, but most students HAVE to go into debt if they would like to go. I’m still paying my loan off after 10 yrs. no one funded me. That is a choice you are making. Again, some people have to choose whether they eat or heat!
Also you’re giving to charities, those same outgoings could contribute to tax. It’s called distribution of wealth.
‘Through hard work alone’ I mean that he put himself through uni, first in his family to do so, got where he is through graft, not nepotism, nothing was handed to him, nothing was easy. He did not walk into a 90k job, he got there through graft. I’m an nhs nurse, I know what hard work is and being under appreciated and under paid for the privilege. We provide food and vaccinations for the 2 animal charities we support, we were over the moon when we got to a position that we could support them. Not everyone is greedy. Not everyone wants to have piles of money in the bank, we love that we are fortunate enough to help our family and charities. It has taken many years to allow us to do that. I pay over 3k in tax and NI, he pays 30k, that in my opinion is enough. I decide how I ‘distribute my wealth’ to my family and charities.

Reactions: 8
I’m not angry that people are doing well, great for them, I’m sure they worked hard and deserved it.

What I hate is when people who are earning a lot look down on people who aren’t earning as much, you know the whole ‘of you worked harder you could earn more’ mentality, most people no matter what they do work hard in their jobs, the amount of wages do not equate to how hard you work.

I used to be a care assistant looking after vulnerable adults, I was paid just over minimum wage, and worked long hours in a mentally draining job, I worked hard for my wages x
Wages don't equate to effort, graft etc. Am I missing something?

What’s wrong with them saying that they would struggle if tax was increased if it’s the truth? It’s people like yours attitudes that make me laugh a couple earning £90k are doing well for themselves don’t get me wrong but doesn’t mean they are living in a mansion and are classed as rich!
I apologise if this offended you. In my line of work, witnessing people living in poverty day in day out, offends me. And personally, I would feel embarrassed to put my earnings out there. Knowing of people who have none. Nowhere did I say they lived in a mansion.

‘Through hard work alone’ I mean that he put himself through uni, first in his family to do so, got where he is through graft, not nepotism, nothing was handed to him, nothing was easy. He did not walk into a 90k job, he got there through graft. I’m an nhs nurse, I know what hard work is and being under appreciated and under paid for the privilege. We provide food and vaccinations for the 2 animal charities we support, we were over the moon when we got to a position that we could support them. Not everyone is greedy. Not everyone wants to have piles of money in the bank, we love that we are fortunate enough to help our family and charities. It has taken many years to allow us to do that. I pay over 3k in tax and NI, he pays 30k, that in my opinion is enough. I decide how I ‘distribute my wealth’ to my family and charities.
Agree, well said too.

I’m sorry but no. Working hard is not a good enough reason. We ALL work hard. And it’s grand that you’re helping your sis thru uni, but most students HAVE to go into debt if they would like to go. I’m still paying my loan off after 10 yrs. no one funded me. That is a choice you are making. Again, some people have to choose whether they eat or heat!
Also you’re giving to charities, those same outgoings could contribute to tax. It’s called distribution of wealth.
All you sound is bitter

I decide how I ‘distribute my wealth’ to my family and charities.

I don’t disagree with this. It would just be nice for you to consider your part in wider society. That’s the problem with Conservative ideology. It’s all “me and my small circle.”

All you sound is bitter
Not really - I’m sharing my opinion. That’s what this thread is all about 😊

Reactions: 3
I
Schools are struggling just as hard rather then paying extra tax like labour suggested maybe if every child paid £5 a week to the school it could really really help them out. It’s not a huge amount and I think everyone to be fair could afford it.
The parents where I work can’t afford to feed their child, they can’t afford to get them clothes. Yet you think they could afford £5 x 36 school weeks - £180. are you suggesting per child? Or can we have a sibling discount?

I’m sorry to be blunt but everyone could not afford it.

Reactions: 6
Wages don't equate to effort, graft etc. Am I missing something?
I’m not sure what you’re asking, someone said earlier in the thread that people that people work hard for their massive wages, people who don’t earn a huge amount still work hard....

This! We are a 90k household through hard work alone, if we continually get tax rises like there has been for several years then we would struggle. We do not live in a mansion, we don’t go on fancy holidays but we have a large outgoings. We have chosen to help my little sister at uni, so that she does not leave in debt. We help out my husbands parents who are not as fortunate. We love helping out our 2 favourite charities who do amazing work and we support them monthly. We would not want to stop any of this. You cannot make presumptions that people on 90k can simply afford to pay hundreds more on tax each month, 30k in tax and NI is enough!
I completely agree. I - without taking into consideration my partner who earns a similar salary - have contributed over £30k in tax this year to the U.K. tax system. That’s over 6 times the national average so it grates on me slightly when people make brushing statements that we should just be taxed even more. I have a very high stress job, I get called away from my family frequently, I work long hours, when I’m not working I’m thinking about work... why do I do it? Personal choice because I want to have a comfortable lifestyle. So why should Joe Bloggs who contributes 6 times less than I say I’m not compassionate and don’t give enough back?! My remuneration package is in return for the personal sacrifices I make. Everything comes at a cost. We don’t earn a lot of money just because that’s the way the cookie crumbles... It’s usually because of many many MANY sacrifices.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This is the problem; we are all different, none of us here can compare lifestyles because of that fact. Someone who has only known wealth can’t possibly understand how it feels to be poor, just the same as someone living in poverty their whole life wouldn’t know how it feels to have wealth in abundance. I believe it’s your right to do what works for you and yours, as much as I wish we all had the same mindset of helping each other out, we don’t and won’t all agree. It’s the fat cats at the top who are raking it in and turning us all against each other in the process. Makes me sick to be honest.

The parents where I work can’t afford to feed their child, they can’t afford to get them clothes. Yet you think they could afford £5 x 36 school weeks - £180. are you suggesting per child? Or can we have a sibling discount?

I’m sorry to be blunt but everyone could not afford it.
As I said in another post circumstances should be taken into account and I should of said that in my first. But a lot of us that can afford should be allowed to it will help all the children. I wouldn’t begrudge anyone that can’t. I see schools being privatised eventually anyway to be honest.

I completely agree. I - without taking into consideration my partner who earns a similar salary - have contributed over £30k in tax this year to the U.K. tax system. That’s over 6 times the national average so it grates on me slightly when people make brushing statements that we should just be taxed even more. I have a very high stress job, I get called away from my family frequently, I work long hours, when I’m not working I’m thinking about work... why do I do it? Personal choice because I want to have a comfortable lifestyle.

I do all of the above too, but I do it for less money a year than you pay in tax!! I don’t think we should tax you guys within an inch of your life by any stretch but a little bit more? Sure! I’d Happily pay a little bit more in tax myself too - anything to stop this poverty and austerity.

Reactions: 4
I’m not feeling particularly festive following last night’s results, but we fight on for a better country and a better world. Next time without the looming presence of something as uniformly-stupid-on-both-sides as Brexit to distract from life-changing, lifesaving policies.

It's true unfortunately. Thousands of people lost there jobs here a few years back when the oil price fell & any job vacancies in ANY line of work were applied for by 100s of people and the effects are still being felt today.
Are you in Aberdeen? If so, that is v true.

I decide how I ‘distribute my wealth’ to my family and charities.

I don’t disagree with this. It would just be nice for you to consider your part in wider society. That’s the problem with Conservative ideology. It’s all “me and my small circle.”

Not really - I’m sharing my opinion. That’s what this thread is all about 😊
Our combined tax and NI contributions of over 33k can go to the wider society as the government sees fit. I ensure that my ‘small circle’ is looked after, first and foremost. They are my priority. I do not agree with you saying that I do not consider the wider society with this outlook. Not everything you can contribute to society is financial. As with many other people on here I am able to volunteer my time, we have a local charity who can link you to elderly people who are feeling lonely and would like someone to spend a bit of time with. I have 4 elderly ladies who I see on a weekly basis and 2 are coming round to my home for Xmas dinner as they have no family of their own. I only started with this charity in March and it is amazing. I am happy with what we as a family do for our ‘inner circle’ and wider society.

Reactions: 9