UK Comedian Gossip

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wanted to gather together any gossip on UK Comedians.

Any meetings, interactions with them you have had would be great too!

I shook hands with Lee & Herring after their show, plus I told Russell Howard I loved him at his show.

My heroes are Bob Mortimer, Rik Mayal, Greg Davies, Sean Lock, Joe Wilkinson, Harry Enfield, Jo Brand, Sally Phillips plus many more!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Not a comedian as such, but I met Little Alex Horne from Taskmaster after a gig he did with the Horne section, and he was absolutely lovely. Stayed behind in the foyer to say hello to everyone, really chatty, happy to have his photo taken with all and sundry, and when I said to him "It's nice of you to do this, you must get fed up with it and probably just want to get home", he said "Not at all. You are all the reason I do what I do, and I think it's the best bit of my job".

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I used to live in the town where Rowan Atkinson's kids went to school and he rented a house for a few years
he is so miserable in real life, wouldn't talk to anyone his face was always tripping him and he nearly ran my husband off the road (he's a terrible driver no wonder he had so many accidents) and actually tried to blame him for it, hes a bit of an arrogant twit irl
---
Forgot to add I absolutely loved rik Mayall he didn't even have to speak to make me laugh just pull.one of his stupid faces

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Met Greg davies back before he was famous and doing teeny tiny stand up gigs. A joy of a human and exactly how he seems on TV. Him and my dad made a dirty joke about my mum much to my teenage embarrassment. Got photos with him and I look like a baby. He made my not thin 6ft tall dad look like a school kid.
And yes, would totally smash him

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve just read Ade Edmondson’s auto biography and he spends at least two thirds of it on his schooling. It really seems to have been a bad time for him that he can’t quite let go of. He doesn‘t talk about his wife or children at all(other than to say he loves them) and he’s very cagey about Rik. They clearly were not close at all at the time of Rick’s death.

he’s also at great pains to make sure you know he’s a serious acting type and just did comedy for a bit. So maybe not for this thread,

I did see Sarah Millican in 2006 in a comedy club. She was freshly divorced, quite thin and had terrible spots across her chest and she DIED ON HER ARSE. It put me off ever going to live comedy again because I felt so horribly sorry for her - she wasn’t actively bad, she just wasn’t good. That kind of chatty style she has needs a bit of time and room and the slot wasn’t long enough for it. Not that I really find her funny now either, luckily others so and she’s made bank.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve just read Ade Edmondson’s auto biography and he spends at least two thirds of it on his schooling. It really seems to have been a bad time for him that he can’t quite let go of. He doesn‘t talk about his wife or children at all(other than to say he loves them) and he’s very cagey about Rik. They clearly were not close at all at the time of Rick’s death.

he’s also at great pains to make sure you know he’s a serious acting type and just did comedy for a bit. So maybe not for this thread,

I did see Sarah Millican in 2006 in a comedy club. She was freshly divorced, quite thin and had terrible spots across her chest and she DIED ON HER ARSE. It put me off ever going to live comedy again because I felt so horribly sorry for her - she wasn’t actively bad, she just wasn’t good. That kind of chatty style she has needs a bit of time and room and the slot wasn’t long enough for it. Not that I really find her funny now either, luckily others so and she’s made bank.
I do like Sarah millican and have cried laughing at her dvds but when we went to see her live I barely raised a giggle i was so disappointed, maybe they keep the better stuff back for the dvd so you buy them, she was barely on stage an hour and spent a lot of time plugging merch at the end of the show wouldn't pay to see her live again
Saying that we saw her husband Gary delaney live and he was amazing

• Heart
I do like Sarah millican and have cried laughing at her dvds but when we went to see her live I barely raised a giggle i was so disappointed, maybe they keep the better stuff back for the dvd so you buy them, she was barely on stage an hour and spent a lot of time plugging merch at the end of the show wouldn't pay to see her live again
Saying that we saw her husband Gary delaney live and he was amazing
I went to see her too and was really disappointed, I could barely hear her for a start and she was much filthier than she is on the telly. I'm no prude but I didn't find it funny.

I saw Paul Sinha in stand up at a local comedy club. He was dire. To be fair it was his warm up for Edinburgh so he hadn't polished his act but he was literally reading from an A4 piece of paper and if he went wrong he started over again. He had a massive chip on his shoulder over some guy off GB news and the fact that he wasn't as famous as he'd like to be. It was one big rant interspersed with songs. He really should stick to the day job.

Met Micky Flanagan who I absolutely adore. Very down to earth normal man! Walking his dog near to where he lives. He’s quiet but polite and just seems like he isn’t the famous rich comedian he is 😂.

I'm quite interested to read Ed Gamble's autobiography later this year.

I was a huge fan of the double act he was in when he first arrived on the scene but their whole thing was being different and mocking the kind of comedian Ed has become now (mainstream, plays it fairly safe etc). Curious to see his take on things and their eventually split

I actually found that quite tedious! Another gen x man/post boomer generation who thinks that the abusive behaviour they suffered makes them terribly unique. I know I sound very cold, and I am genuinely glad he broke the cycle, but honestly, how many women have to listen to these men recounting this stuff in meticulous detail over and over? I found him so dismissive of comedy, other people and Rik especially. I wouldn’t be pleased if I was a member of his family, Rik’s family, or indeed anyone who’s worked with him.

I actually found that quite tedious! Another gen x man/post boomer generation who thinks that the abusive behaviour they suffered makes them terribly unique. I know I sound very cold, and I am genuinely glad he broke the cycle, but honestly, how many women have to listen to these men recounting this stuff in meticulous detail over and over? I found him so dismissive of comedy, other people and Rik especially. I wouldn’t be pleased if I was a member of his family, Rik’s family, or indeed anyone who’s worked with him.
it was exceptionally dull. I have every sympathy for how tit sending your kid to boarding school is and that he must have had a terrible time but he never really examined it. Like come on Ade, think closely about why you might have gone into a profession that gets attention and praise.He also only ever mentioned others faults, not anything he might have been doing. It was quite a shallow read all told, bar the bits about his friends’ suicides.

Reactions: 1
it was exceptionally dull. I have every sympathy for how tit sending your kid to boarding school is and that he must have had a terrible time but he never really examined it. Like come on Ade, think closely about why you might have gone into a profession that gets attention and praise.He also only ever mentioned others faults, not anything he might have been doing. It was quite a shallow read all told, bar the bits about his friends’ suicides.
Completely agree with all of this, including having every sympathy for how tit it was! I was really looking forward to it, I really enjoyed Rik Mayall’s, as he seemed more self aware in general - including having a crazy ego. Ade seemed to make such a point about the contempt he held Rik in, from pretty much their early days

Reactions: 1
I didn’t think he came across as a bad person but more he just wanted to share how tit his childhood had been but considers his adult private life, well, private. So it didn’t tell us anything. I know no more about Adrian Edmondson, man in his sixties, than I did going in. I know lots about Adrian Edmondson, abandoned teen though.

Reactions: 4
I didn’t think he came across as a bad person but more he just wanted to share how tit his childhood had been but considers his adult private life, well, private. So it didn’t tell us anything. I know no more about Adrian Edmondson, man in his sixties, than I did going in. I know lots about Adrian Edmondson, abandoned teen though.
Sure - although, if so private, why write a book 😂

Not 100% sure but IIRC, it was because Rik wanted to do another series/live version of Bottom and Ade was basically sick of it and wanted to do other stuff. Listening to interviews, or at least according to Ade, they were starting to make up and Rik had worn him down about doing another series and they had started writing it then Rik passed. I think part of the reason he doesn't talk about him is regret over the fact they fell out or at least stopped being as close as they used for a while. When he does talk about him, like when he was on Desert Island Discs, you can tell it's hard on him even now. As for him not talking about Jennifer and his kids, from what I remember, even back when he did Bottom in the 90s, he was one for keeping that part private which is fair enough but as others have said, why agree to do a book if you aren't gonna write about the things people will buy the book for.

Reactions: 4
We saw Paul Sinha at The Stand (in Glasgow) a few months ago, probably doing the same act mentioned above, and we really enjoyed it! There was a queue of people afterwards waiting to meet him, but my partner just "photobombed" and left.

I've found PS very personable and likeable on a few podcasts he's been interviewed on in recent years, too.

As for Rik and Ade - I was bloody obsessed with The Young Ones and I had Betamax (!) videos of it on repeat in my youth - whereas my sister watched Grease (the first movie) non-stop - when we got the chance.

Bottom*, I liked, up to a point, but it really got tired and dull towards the end (Guest House Paradiso I've tried to watch but it actually puts this insomniac to sleep).

However, I do think Rik could have made his name following someone like Steve Coogan's career path - there was definitely more mileage in Alan B'Stard. Not sure why that didn't really progress.

I was going to buy Ade's autobiography but nobody wants to know about the pre-fame stuff, particularly if it's the majority of the book. Disappointing.

I think it was hinted at that Rik's personality changed somewhat after his head injury and health issues, which isn't really surprising. And he found it harder to memorise his lines, which is a bit sad. Rik was very lovable and the slapstick, although it had its day, was only the tip of the iceberg of his talents. He died far too soon.

(I have a picture of my late-teen brothers doing the "nazi salute" when Rik did book signings for "Bigger Than Hitler, Better Than Christ" - unfortunately, as it's written "in character" and didn't get great reviews I didn't buy that autobiog either - but it was the "thing" Rik did at these public appearances. If you were a bit older, he'd usually pose pretending to give you a "blowjob". The proof of these photos was searchable on Flickr, though I'm not seeing any nowadays).

*I'm sure there's a tasteless joke about me preferring Young Ones to Bottom - !!

• Heart
We saw Paul Sinha at The Stand (in Glasgow) a few months ago, probably doing the same act mentioned above, and we really enjoyed it! There was a queue of people afterwards waiting to meet him, but my partner just "photobombed" and left.

I've found PS very personable and likeable on a few podcasts he's been interviewed on in recent years, too.

As for Rik and Ade - I was bloody obsessed with The Young Ones and I had Betamax (!) videos of it on repeat in my youth - whereas my sister watched Grease (the first movie) non-stop - when we got the chance.

Bottom*, I liked, up to a point, but it really got tired and dull towards the end (Guest House Paradiso I've tried to watch but it actually puts this insomniac to sleep).

However, I do think Rik could have made his name following someone like Steve Coogan's career path - there was definitely more mileage in Alan B'Stard. Not sure why that didn't really progress.

I was going to buy Ade's autobiography but nobody wants to know about the pre-fame stuff, particularly if it's the majority of the book. Disappointing.

I think it was hinted at that Rik's personality changed somewhat after his head injury and health issues, which isn't really surprising. And he found it harder to memorise his lines, which is a bit sad. Rik was very lovable and the slapstick, although it had its day, was only the tip of the iceberg of his talents. He died far too soon.

(I have a picture of my late-teen brothers doing the "nazi salute" when Rik did book signings for "Bigger Than Hitler, Better Than Christ" - unfortunately, as it's written "in character" and didn't get great reviews I didn't buy that autobiog either - but it was the "thing" Rik did at these public appearances. If you were a bit older, he'd usually pose pretending to give you a "blowjob". The proof of these photos was searchable on Flickr, though I'm not seeing any nowadays).

*I'm sure there's a tasteless joke about me preferring Young Ones to Bottom - !!
Hopefully the warm up shows helped Paul Sinha fine tune his act! To be fair he seemed like a lovely bloke, and I liked him very much, he was just very underprepared!

Irish I know...but any tea on Dara O'Briain?

Don't know about the present day but I once worked with someone who was in college with Dara O'Briain and had only good things to say about him. This would have been about 15 years ago mind.

• Heart