Train strikes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need to catch a train on the 9th. What's the chances of this happening? Should I just book the coach?
Which company
Its not strike action on 9th for any TOC so there will be trains running, but they will be running to a pre advertised reduced timetable
(how reduced will depend on the TOC and how much they normally rely on Rest Day working)

Potentially a few extra cancellations on the day if any disruption/late notice sickness etc, as there will be less resource to cover this on the day

Which company
Its not strike action on 9th for any TOC so there will be trains running, but they will be running to a pre advertised reduced timetable
(how reduced will depend on the TOC and how much they normally rely on Rest Day working)

Potentially a few extra cancellations on the day if any disruption/late notice sickness etc, as there will be less resource to cover this on the day
It'll be SWR or any others that run in the south (not London)

It's only TPE and Northern(North) on strike the day before who will have to recover a service the next day due to unit positions, so the service in the south should be ok (just check what the relevant TOC is saying), action short of a strike is as described above including not coming in for overtime or working over their shift to help out.

I know not everyone was happy with the RMT deal offered but I'm glad their members will be getting the back pay (just) before Christmas.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
To be fair if Mick Lynch hadn't declined to tell which way the RMT members to vote and pointed out accepting the offer would see them paid by Christmas it's unlikely their dispute would have been resolved (for now) and instead more dates would have targeted Christmas week.

It'll be SWR or any others that run in the south (not London)
So you should be fine with SWR
Previously day isn't strike

Saturday SWR are running an basic STP timetable, as they're are a lot of engineering works on the network
Check after 1700 the day before as any known cancellations will be uploaded once the resource team declare them around 1600
I expect Wey-Sou to be the wost as it normally is.
As I said before, any disruption or short notice sickness could have short notice cancellations

I'm aiming for London to south coast on 9th after holiday too and am relatively confident

• Heart
So you should be fine with SWR
Previously day isn't strike

Saturday SWR are running an basic STP timetable, as they're are a lot of engineering works on the network
Check after 1700 the day before as any known cancellations will be uploaded once the resource team declare them around 1600
I expect Wey-Sou to be the wost as it normally is.
As I said before, any disruption or short notice sickness could have short notice cancellations

I'm aiming for London to south coast on 9th after holiday too and am relatively confident
My family member will lose a whole nights pay plus his shift bonus as there aren’t any trains on Wednesday from where we live on the south coast, so with taking his shift bonus into account he will be over £250 down.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
How far is the commute? Not ideal but for that money I'd be looking at an Uber, depending on time (and admittedly they will probably surge price on a strike day) they aren't that expensive long distance in comparison to losing that amount of money.

My family member will lose a whole nights pay plus his shift bonus as there aren’t any trains on Wednesday from where we live on the south coast, so with taking his shift bonus into account he will be over £250 down.
are there any hotels nearby? If you can get a decent deal it may be worth it for him

Wednesday is a strike day for GTR Southern and SWR so there isn't any trains
The person I replied to asked about Saturday when there is

How far is the commute? Not ideal but for that money I'd be looking at an Uber, depending on time (and admittedly they will probably surge price on a strike day) they aren't that expensive long distance in comparison to losing that amount of money.
It’s roughly 70miles each way, so if he tried to use buses it would take at least 3 hours each way. When you’re working a 12hr night shift it’s not ideal.
---
are there any hotels nearby? If you can get a decent deal it may be worth it for him
He has looked at hotels in Brighton but as he works nights he would have to book 2 nights as he finishes work at 6 in the morning and you have to check out of your room by 11 meaning he would get 3 hours sleep then he would have to leave. He could pay for an extra night and leave at 5pm and that would cost quite a bit of money too. It’s a no win situation.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Was meant to have a mini break end of November/early December to see some family in Birmingham but had to cancel due to health reasons. I'm glad we didn't go because the trains were on strike for the day we were due back!

First strike where the 40% service level law is in

Will be interesting* to see how/if that's utilised

*by interesting i mean a bleeping nightmare obviously