Tokyo Olympic Games 2020/1

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just read a news story about the whole
Biles situation and they had the audacity to call Jordan Chiles “completely overwhelmed” which I find so insulting! Except that fall on floor she did so good! She helped her team win silver at the olympics. Not sure how someone can call any type of performer on that level completely overwhelmed 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Tbh if she wasn’t feeling great she she should have stepped aside before the event and not unnerved the rest of the team.

The way she flounced over just came across very diva rather than sticking with it for her and her team mates, pleased she stayed to support them
She didn't do all that well in the qualifiers for the team finals. If she wasn't in the right frame of mind after that, then she had the opportunity to go to the coaches and say so. For her to pull out after a sloppy first vault(for her, at least) looked like she'd thrown a tantrum before storming off. And another thing, did the girl who replaced Simone Biles get a Silver medal, or was she just there to make up the numbers?

Reactions: 5
She didn't do all that well in the qualifiers for the team finals. If she wasn't in the right frame of mind after that, then she had the opportunity to go to the coaches and say so. For her to pull out after a sloppy first vault(for her, at least) looked like she'd thrown a tantrum before storming off. And another thing, did the girl who replaced Simone Biles get a Silver medal, or was she just there to make up the numbers?
Yeah all the team get the medal, there are 4 members who make up the team and they are all listed for the different apparatus. So they all get medals as even if they only did 1/2 pieces you only have 3 athletes per apparatus.

Yeah all the team get the medal, there are 4 members who make up the team and they are all listed for the different apparatus. So they all get medals as even if they only did 1/2 pieces you only have 3 athletes per apparatus.
Exactly. Simone was part of the team, her score for the vault would have counted towards the team total so she contributed to the team, albeit not the way that was originally intended. 3 athletes compete on each apparatus and each of those scores count. All 4 members of the team would probably have competed on at least one apparatus in the final, even if Simone had been fully participating

Edit: Simone was not replaced on the team,the other 3 members simply all completed on the 3 apparatus that Simone did not

Reactions: 9
I'm enjoying it but when they are charging people to watch it is a joke, u get some of it on iplayer buts it pointless

Reactions: 3
Simone Biles has now said she wasn't hurt, but had suffered "just a little injury to my pride".

So is she insinuating that she felt her vault was so sub-standard (for her) that she just couldn't carry on in the competition? That if the vault was good, she would've been fine to carry on? That's a real issue for her coaches. Has she been built up so much that she is missing the mental fortitude to deal with lacklustre performances?

I feel for her teammates. They made the best out of a difficult situation.
She’s one of the greatest ever Olympians with almost unparalleled success in her sport. Of course she has “mental fortitude”. Plus it takes quite a lot of mental fortitude to speak out like she has about abuse.

You have no idea what is going on right now for her. What we do know is that almost no sports person has ever dominated a sport like her.

Reactions: 6
She’s one of the greatest ever Olympians with almost unparalleled success in her sport. Of course she has “mental fortitude”. Plus it takes quite a lot of mental fortitude to speak out like she has about abuse.

You have no idea what is going on right now for her. What we do know is that almost no sports person has ever dominated a sport like her.
True, but no-one who dominates a sport in such a way wants their copybook to get blemished either, especially not at the Olympics. She has nothing to prove - if a faltering performance hurts her pride as she starts to approach her inevitable decline, it's probably best to bow out now and let the other girls step up rather than putting any more pressure on herself.

I’ve just read a news story about the whole
Biles situation and they had the audacity to call Jordan Chiles “completely overwhelmed” which I find so insulting! Except that fall on floor she did so good! She helped her team win silver at the olympics. Not sure how someone can call any type of performer on that level completely overwhelmed 🤬
I think the whole focus on Biles by the media is lowkey disrespectful to everyone

A) Simone probably just wants to focus on herself anyway. Even during the competition after she had dropped out, the cameras would cut to her and her reaction… it’s not really relevant to the competition at that point, is it?

B) her teammates deserve a lot of credit (as you mentioned) and, to a certain extent, they’re being overshadowed by Simone. This seems fairly normal but this time she didn’t compete fully

C) the medalists in general deserve a lot of credit. This is the first gold for Russia in a long while, and the same goes for Britain with bronze! During the announcement for medals the camera cut to Simone several times rather than showing the medalists celebrating. Again, not relevant

Reactions: 8
True, but no-one who dominates a sport in such a way wants their copybook to get blemished either, especially not at the Olympics. She has nothing to prove - if a faltering performance hurts her pride as she starts to approach her inevitable decline, it's probably best to bow out now and let the other girls step up rather than putting any more pressure on herself.
Again though you have no actual insight into what is happening right now. Using words like pride is creating a narrative. Anything could be going on with her now.

Inevitable decline is a bit dramatic too given she is 24. She’ll only be 27 in 2024 in Paris.

Honestly it took serious skill for her to land that vault safely today. I’ve seen people panic in the air before. I’ve seen people change their mind mid-skill. It often doesn’t end well. I can understand how that was the final straw for her - she obviously thought she could ignore how she was feeling and push past it (like many of us are pressured to do) but she went for that vault anyway and got lost in the air. That is terrifying. That’s not even her hardest skill! It would have been dangerous for her to push for full difficulty on her routines if she isn’t mentally focused and isn’t feeling confident in her ability to literally twist three times in the air while also doing a double summersault.

Anywaayyyy really enjoyed all the gymnastics performances we got to see on the bbc today. Can’t wait to see what the Gadirova twins do over the next couple of years - great talent!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Saw this on Instagram….
We’ve watched ‘Simone vs herself’ tonight and it seems like she’s been struggling with mental health for a while. Understandable considering things she’s been though. I hope she comes back for the other competitions of the games but only if she’s ready!

re Simon Biles

Gymnastics isn’t a game of football where if you’re feeling off you just get subbed. In this sport, if you’re off, you can get paralyzed. What was a mental health issue could have very quickly turned into a physical injury as well. It simply wasn’t worth it. She read the situation for what it was and was brutally honest with everyone with her abilities and mental state. If she kept going USA might not have medalled at all. It pains me to see all the hate she’s getting online from armchair gymnasts who don’t understand the sport or can’t even touch their toes. I am happy Simone stood up for herself and did what was right for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Simone’s pulled out of AA. Wow, going to be an exciting all AA final because there’s a fair few who could win…

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Great news she’s been allowed to withdraw to look after her MH. There’s been instances in the past were athletes pressured to perform. It’s great USA have a fantastic team.

I know someone before mentioned possible differences in access to training facilities due to covid restrictions but I’m somewhat surprised that there hasn’t been much discussion on potential long-lasting effects of covid on the athletes also

I know someone before mentioned possible differences in access to training facilities due to covid restrictions but I’m somewhat surprised that there hasn’t been much discussion on potential long-lasting effects of covid on the athletes also
There was in the swimming yesterday? One of the British swimmers who won was someone who has had covid twice. They haven’t gone into much detail about it. Beth twedle did mention some countries had benefited from the lack of restrictions (aka Russia and the US) and the British girls didn’t

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.