Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am probably a harsh Mum but I'm one for, they cry a lot of the time because they know it gets them what they want.
I'm also very stubborn so I never give in 😂
It usually takes about a week but it slowly gets less and less
I agree, my daughter fake cries now to try and get me to go into her room at bedtime and if I do the odd time for whatever reason she laughs. I feel stupid going in, my own fault 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thanks ladies, I know you’re all right. I ideally wanted to do this over the Easter hols but I’ve been ill. The crying and getting out of bed lasted from 7 till 8:10 which I don’t think was too bad?!😂 I’m in bed now anyway, ready fo deal with the inevitable nighttime chaos

Thanks ladies, I know you’re all right. I ideally wanted to do this over the Easter hols but I’ve been ill. The crying and getting out of bed lasted from 7 till 8:10 which I don’t think was too bad?!😂 I’m in bed now anyway, ready fo deal with the inevitable nighttime chaos
Does she have a nightlight? You may have said 🙈

Yeah she does, it’s on x
Ah, that’s all I could think of 😂

My 6 year old (between 18th this-3ish) used to get in with us all the time in the middle of the night. When I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with his brother, I told him that once the baby was here, he couldn’t sleep with us anymore because the baby would keep him awake all night. I think he’s had 2 nights with us since and the baby is over 2 and a half!
It’s so hard and it’s so easy to just do it and let it happen, especially when pregnant. I feel your pain xx

• Heart
Could you try a gro clock?
So she knows she has to wait for the clock to change to yellow before she can get up?
I don’t know whether she’s too old for one, have you ever used one?

she slept through till 5:50am😳 I woke up twice thinking where is she 😂

My daughter is 4 and uses one.
We started using it around 2 and a half and it took a little whilst for her to understand but got the hang of it.
I'd say 3 is a perfect age.

She knows that once it turns yellow, she can come into us.

My daughter is 4 and uses one.
We started using it around 2 and a half and it took a little whilst for her to understand but got the hang of it.
I'd say 3 is a perfect age.

She knows that once it turns yellow, she can come into us.
*runs to Amazon to order*

Reactions: 4
It's definitley been worth it!
Especially with the lighter mornings. She was waking up at 7 during the winter and the 5 during the summer because of the light 😂
This is where blackout blinds come in handy! We have them on the kids bedroom windows - pitch black rooms even in the height of summer!!!

This is where blackout blinds come in handy! We have them on the kids bedroom windows - pitch black rooms even in the height of summer!!!
My daughters room is always pitch black. Even for naps when she was a newborn. She’s always slept really well (apart from teething etc). Even though the internet and other people will say let them sleep in the light when it’s nap time or else they won’t know the difference between day and night. Yeah ok 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6

My 6yo still uses his as he can’t read all the times yet (only o clock and half past 🤣) so it helps him know when it’s ok to get up as he is our earliest riser. We use it until they can easily tell time and then it gets passed down

• Heart
Reactions: 2

My nephew used to have one until he was about 4. When he used to sleep over at my mums house he wouldn’t get up until it turned yellow. And once my mum went in to get him up and he was sat in his bed and he said it’s not time to get up yet grandma because it’s still yellow. 😁 definitely worth a try I think @Blair-Waldorf

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Help! Does anyone have any advice for what to do when your toddler's sleep goes to pot but you have a baby too?

Background - my two year old (nearly 3) has been sleeping well in his cot in his own room for ages. Kept him in a cotbed as he's super happy in it and doesn't climb.

Had another baby before Christmas who's in our room in a next to me but often ends up bedsharing in the night.

Husband is a bit of a twit - not very supportive and has been having a lot of nights out/ weekends away which has put the toddler in a tailspin. Couple this with my husband not being able to put any boundaries on our toddler or act like a parent, so when he's around its like they're playmates and my son bosses him around.

Husband has been sleeping in a spare room for a while - gets disturbed by baby and because he's been going out a lot and smoking I haven't really wanted him in our room either.

Problem is now my toddler yells for dad every night and instead of staying in his room and supporting him to sleep he just scoops toddler up and puts him in bed with him.

Cue last night - dad went to see Tyson fury at wembley and didn't return until Sunday dinnertime. Saturday night was a nightmare and I had to out toddler in with me as he was having a blue arsed fit, he then didn't sleep, kicked all night long, woke the baby and we were up for the day at 5am. Sunday night Toddler goes to bed ok but woke at 11 shouting for dad. Dad's too hungover and doesn't respond. I spent next two hours trying to settle him, backwards and forwards between him and new baby who was stirring too. Dad then swoops in and puts toddler in bed with him. So the two hours I spent on the floor was for nothing.

Wtaf can I do? My toddler's sleep was so good and this is so frustrating.
Problem is my husband is soon going to get sick of bedsharing and my toddler is getting crap sleep too, I could hear him talking constantly all night, then my husband is tired and pissy with him. More of a rant really but has anyone experienced this?

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Help! Does anyone have any advice for what to do when your toddler's sleep goes to pot but you have a baby too?

Background - my two year old (nearly 3) has been sleeping well in his cot in his own room for ages. Kept him in a cotbed as he's super happy in it and doesn't climb.

Had another baby before Christmas who's in our room in a next to me but often ends up bedsharing in the night.

Husband is a bit of a twit - not very supportive and has been having a lot of nights out/ weekends away which has put the toddler in a tailspin. Couple this with my husband not being able to put any boundaries on our toddler or act like a parent, so when he's around its like they're playmates and my son bosses him around.

Husband has been sleeping in a spare room for a while - gets disturbed by baby and because he's been going out a lot and smoking I haven't really wanted him in our room either.

Problem is now my toddler yells for dad every night and instead of staying in his room and supporting him to sleep he just scoops toddler up and puts him in bed with him.

Cue last night - dad went to see Tyson fury at wembley and didn't return until Sunday dinnertime. Saturday night was a nightmare and I had to out toddler in with me as he was having a blue arsed fit, he then didn't sleep, kicked all night long, woke the baby and we were up for the day at 5am. Sunday night Toddler goes to bed ok but woke at 11 shouting for dad. Dad's too hungover and doesn't respond. I spent next two hours trying to settle him, backwards and forwards between him and new baby who was stirring too. Dad then swoops in and puts toddler in bed with him. So the two hours I spent on the floor was for nothing.

Problem is my husband is soon going to get sick of bedsharing and my toddler is getting crap sleep too, I could hear him talking constantly all night, then my husband is tired and pissy with him. More of a rant really but has anyone experienced this?
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to get anywhere without your husband cooperating.
Sounds like you know exactly what to do but your husband is the issue 😔

Once a child knows they can get what they want from 1 parent, the other parent tends to lose all power

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Your husband is your biggest problem here. What the duck is wrong with him? Going out boozing and carrying on like a man with no responsibilities at home. duck that.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Hi, thanks for sharing this with us and I’m sorry you’re going through a crappy time. You need to lay down the law with your husband - either he helps be a team and a parent, and be a family or you need to tell him to leave.

You sound like you’re doing a lot of it yourself so why would you need that added stress which I feel like your older child is playing on. Do yourself a favour. Forget your husband exists for the minute and tell your toddler his bed is for sleeping and that’s it. You must be tired and exhausted, sending hugs. Give your husband an ultimatum - he needs to help, support you like a husband should and if he doesn’t he can take his partying ways elsewhere. It’s disrupting your family life x

Edit: I’m a single mum and became one BY choice when my now 2.5 YO daughter was 1 year old in 2021. In fact it was 3 days before her first Christmas. You know what I’d had ENOUGH! My ex was being a right dick, going out wasting all our money, whilst I was putting as much of my own aside so we could get a mortgage and have a stable future for our daughter. In the end and several horrible arguements I decided enough was enough. I was mentally and physically drained, tied in with lockdowns and not really having a life- I decided him not being around me daily would be easier and got rid. He moved out and fast forward to now, I’ve got a mortgage, car, I’ve never been happier. I go away for 5 holidays a year with my daughter and I’m doing better than I ever did. DO NOT stand for crappy behaviour that will effect your kids, you are better than that and you have to be a role model xxxxxx I never ever thought I’d get to this place in Jan 2021 and I did. Now he’s living with his parents again. I think I got the last laugh 😙

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Hey everyone thanks for all your advice and Thanks for all the comments about the gro clock, I asked my other half to order one off Amazon prime but he forgot (bleeping men) so I’ve done it myself. She’s slept in her own bed fri sat night 7:30-6, cried and kept getting out of bed but by 8:15 both nights she was asleep.. last night was a bit tricky but she’s got a cough so went in a few times to see to her but didn’t give in. She’s asleep now, just heard her start snoring. We’ve moved her into the bigger room so her black out blind doesn’t fit the new window so I’ve ordered a new one

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hey everyone thanks for all your advice and Thanks for all the comments about the gro clock, I asked my other half to order one off Amazon prime but he forgot (bleeping men) so I’ve done it myself. She’s slept in her own bed fri sat night 7:30-6, cried and kept getting out of bed but by 8:15 both nights she was asleep.. last night was a bit tricky but she’s got a cough so went in a few times to see to her but didn’t give in. She’s asleep now, just heard her start snoring. We’ve moved her into the bigger room so her black out blind doesn’t fit the new window so I’ve ordered a new one
Yay amazing! So glad it’s worked. If she’s waking up with the light still put some tin foil on the windows 😂 stupid but it works! I had to do it for a little while until the blind for my daughters room came. Glad she’s sleeping better x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.