Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Doctor has just come in and confirmed she has a throat infection, ear infection and pneumonia
Oh goodness, poor thing and you šŸ˜© such a good example of always trusting your gut and never giving up when it comes to getting them checked over. Hoping youā€™re both able to get some rest and recover over the next few days. I would also seriously think about raising a complaint about being repeatedly robbed off and told itā€™s just due to your anxiety, absolutely shocking!

Reactions: 6
Doctor has just come in and confirmed she has a throat infection, ear infection and pneumonia
Pneumonia that couldā€™ve been prevented šŸ˜” wonder if itā€™s the same hospital my g.niece was at the other week when they ignored my niece and saw her as a young mumā€¦

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Pneumonia that couldā€™ve been prevented šŸ˜” wonder if itā€™s the same hospital my g.niece was at the other week when they ignored my niece and saw her as a young mumā€¦
I hate that!!! I am a fairly young mum & when mine was just 2 he had a fit in the night and I rang an ambulance and when they got here he was questioning me like he didnā€™t believe me. He was like how do you know heā€™s had a fit?? I said erm cos I was awake checking on him & I saw it
& asked me other stupid questions. Why would I make that up šŸ˜³ bet he thought I was another anxious mum šŸ¤”

• Heart
I was saying to my partner how bad it is that we have to put our lives in the doctors hands but they never take it seriously.
I know they're over run and they're super busy.
This could've got so much worse.
They said we were lucky we came in when we did because it's got so bad already.

My dad was diagnosed with a chest infection. For 3 months they threw antibiotics at him instead of doing any tests.
It was only because he eventually got hospitalised struggling to breathe, realised his neck was swollen, that they did tests in hospital and turned out he had lung cancer which had spread everywhere. Only had a week to live after the diagnosis.

My partners Mum also went in with constant bad headaches. They just kept telling her she was suffering from migraines and kept prescribing pain killers.
Went for a routine eye test a week later and was told she had a brain tumour that needed operating on immediately.

It's just so scary that it happens so often!

• Wow
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
@WhatABore I hope your little girl is ok, good on you for persisting and not letting it go. Bless her hope you both manage to get some rest and recover. Sheā€™s been through a lot this week and so have you! What a brave little girl youā€™ve got šŸ¤

Reactions: 2
I hate that!!! I am a fairly young mum & when mine was just 2 he had a fit in the night and I rang an ambulance and when they got here he was questioning me like he didnā€™t believe me. He was like how do you know heā€™s had a fit?? I said erm cos I was awake checking on him & I saw it
& asked me other stupid questions. Why would I make that up šŸ˜³ bet he thought I was another anxious mum šŸ¤”
It is awful! Doctors are just as bad. Itā€™s like they canā€™t be bothered to do their jobs properly. And then they wonder why people go to and end up and A&E

I was saying to my partner how bad it is that we have to put our lives in the doctors hands but they never take it seriously.

My dad was diagnosed with a chest infection. For 3 months they threw antibiotics at him instead of doing any tests.
It was only because he eventually got hospitalised struggling to breathe, realised his neck was swollen, that they did tests in hospital and turned out he had lung cancer which had spread everywhere. Only had a week to live after the diagnosis.

My partners Mum also went in with constant bad headaches. They just kept telling her she was suffering from migraines and kept prescribing pain killers.
Went for a routine eye test a week later and was told she had a brain tumour that needed operating on immediately.

Oh my goodness šŸ˜­ Bore, this is awful!

Reactions: 1
@WhatABore so sorry it has gotten this bad for her. I hope the next few days arenā€™t too traumatic for you both. There is a good service called PALS you should talk to when youā€™re ready, they are very good at advocating for you and will handle your complaint and make sure it isnā€™t fobbed off. Itā€™s disgusting they called you an anxious mum and allowed it to get as serious as it has. Lots of love to you all ā¤

@WhatABore so sorry it has gotten this bad for her. I hope the next few days arenā€™t too traumatic for you both. There is a good service called PALS you should talk to when youā€™re ready, they are very good at advocating for you and will handle your complaint and make sure it isnā€™t fobbed off. Itā€™s disgusting they called you an anxious mum and allowed it to get as serious as it has. Lots of love to you all ā¤
Thank you.
I think that might be the case in complaining.
Every doctor I've seen have said they don't understand how he missed it because her left lung is literally covered in pus and you can clearly hear the difference when listening to her back.

They're concerned about it spreading outside of her lungs now though so she's on aggressive antibiotics on IV plus oral antibiotics to try and stop it before it spreads!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you.
Every doctor I've seen have said they don't understand how he missed it because her left lung is literally covered in pus and you can clearly hear the difference when listening to her back.

They're concerned about it spreading outside of her lungs now though so she's on aggressive antibiotics on IV plus oral antibiotics to try and stop it before it spreads!
Thatā€™s shocking. Iā€™m so glad you stuck to your guns and took her back in. I think we as mumā€™s always know instinctively when something is wrong. Sheā€™s been such a brave girl. Hopefully sheā€™ll be on the mend soon now theyā€™re taking it seriously. x

My boys (3 last month) preschool told me today that they are going to refer him to speech and language. It is something we have always discussed with them, and every term we have agreed to wait until next term to see how he is. We think he is doing really well, but we obviously see him everyday. I feel like such a failure (I know I shouldnā€™t. Iā€™m really having one of them weeks šŸ«  the baby thread know all about it šŸ˜‚) he is so clever in other ways, but speech just has him stumped and I feel so guilty šŸ˜­

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My boys (3 last month) preschool told me today that they are going to refer him to speech and language. It is something we have always discussed with them, and every term we have agreed to wait until next term to see how he is. We think he is doing really well, but we obviously see him everyday. I feel like such a failure (I know I shouldnā€™t. Iā€™m really having one of them weeks šŸ«  the baby thread know all about it šŸ˜‚) he is so clever in other ways, but speech just has him stumped and I feel so guilty šŸ˜­
Ahhh hun. Mine was 3 in April and he is behind with his speech. Weā€™ve been to speech therapy she gave us some good tips
1 talk as much as poss like youā€™re a commentator
2 read books
3 label / name everything
4 at snack time hold up two choices, name them let them pick
Thatā€™s all I can remember rn šŸ™ˆ
Iā€™ve been the same as you. Iā€™ve cried so much since September cos nursery say he is sooo behind and not gonna be ready for school
But a few weeks ago he started saying bye bye and will say it to everything now ( a plane flying over heā€™ll say bye bye when itā€™s gone)
Started letting me read properly to him ( he used to shut the page when I tried to join in ) this morning he repeated a few words back to me
Can name one of his favourite dinosaurs after his fav program
So what Iā€™m trying to say is he will get there at his own pace ! Iā€™ve been where you are itā€™s horrible , Iā€™ve felt like a failure as well. But all kids flourish at their own pace šŸ’–try not to get too stressed.

• Heart

Iā€™m so sorry sheā€™s very unwell. Iā€™m glad you went back and didnā€™t keep her at home with getting fobbed off. A temp etc for so long doesnā€™t just scream ā€œflu or a small viral infectionā€.

Sending you all and your daughter hugs xxxšŸ’– keep us updated xx

Reactions: 3
Iā€™m so sorry sheā€™s very unwell. Iā€™m glad you went back and didnā€™t keep her at home with getting fobbed off. A temp etc for so long doesnā€™t just scream ā€œflu or a small viral infectionā€.

Sending you all and your daughter hugs xxxšŸ’– keep us updated xx
Howā€™s things with your daughters dad this week?

Thank you.

Wow that is awful for her. I hope the antibiotics work quickly and sheā€™s on the mend soon. Look after yourself and contact them when youā€™re ready.

• Heart
Ahhh hun. Mine was 3 in April and he is behind with his speech. Weā€™ve been to speech therapy she gave us some good tips
1 talk as much as poss like youā€™re a commentator
2 read books
3 label / name everything
4 at snack time hold up two choices, name them let them pick
Thatā€™s all I can remember rn šŸ™ˆ
Iā€™ve been the same as you. Iā€™ve cried so much since September cos nursery say he is sooo behind and not gonna be ready for school
But a few weeks ago he started saying bye bye and will say it to everything now ( a plane flying over heā€™ll say bye bye when itā€™s gone)
Started letting me read properly to him ( he used to shut the page when I tried to join in ) this morning he repeated a few words back to me
Can name one of his favourite dinosaurs after his fav program
So what Iā€™m trying to say is he will get there at his own pace ! Iā€™ve been where you are itā€™s horrible , Iā€™ve felt like a failure as well. But all kids flourish at their own pace šŸ’–try not to get too stressed.
Thank you so much for this šŸ’™ how often did you have to go? He had glue ear as a baby, and as it was covid, we all spoke for him, so I think thatā€™s why he isnā€™t clear
We do most of this with him already, but we are not big readers. Iā€™m not too sure why. I guess we are always so busy doing other bits, reading is the last thing on my mind!
He is definitely behind, but he can also say loads and sentences. I have a feeling they are referring him because heā€™s not clear with his speech and even though heā€™s saying sentences, they are more like ā€˜mum, nanny, icingā€™ (he is icing cakes and has just told me whatā€™s heā€™s doing) x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you so much for this šŸ’™ how often did you have to go? He had glue ear as a baby, and as it was covid, we all spoke for him, so I think thatā€™s why he isnā€™t clear
We do most of this with him already, but we are not big readers. Iā€™m not too sure why. I guess we are always so busy doing other bits, reading is the last thing on my mind!
He is definitely behind, but he can also say loads and sentences. I have a feeling they are referring him because heā€™s not clear with his speech and even though heā€™s saying sentences, they are more like ā€˜mum, nanny, icingā€™ (he is icing cakes and has just told me whatā€™s heā€™s doing) x
There are two types of speech delays if you Google it. Thereā€™s a language delay and a speech delay I think it is. If heā€™s saying some sentences I wouldnā€™t be too worried as it sounds like he needs help with his pronunciation? Will he read a book before bed. Iā€™ve started doing this with mine.
We had three sessions and then a break and then they write a report ( Iā€™m still waiting for that šŸ„²) then Iā€™m not sure what happens !
but since September heā€™s come on a lot so Iā€™m sure yours will too! How many days a week does he go to pre school

• Heart
Kids really know how to embarrass you.

Got our own room with a bathroom.

Gone to pee told her ill be back in a minute.

Nurse has come in whilst I'm mid pee.
"Where's mummy?"

"she's in there. I think she's gone for a big poo"
šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘
Fml.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
There are two types of speech delays if you Google it. Thereā€™s a language delay and a speech delay I think it is. If heā€™s saying some sentences I wouldnā€™t be too worried as it sounds like he needs help with his pronunciation? Will he read a book before bed. Iā€™ve started doing this with mine.
We had three sessions and then a break and then they write a report ( Iā€™m still waiting for that šŸ„²) then Iā€™m not sure what happens !
but since September heā€™s come on a lot so Iā€™m sure yours will too! How many days a week does he go to pre school
Ah, thank you! I will have a look tonight with Mr B. See what else we can do to help him. Will also start bedtime reading
He does 2 full days and 1 half day, which we will increase once he gets his free hours.
Honestly, from where he was in January- now, he is doing amazing!! So I was kind of shocked when she said about speech and language today

• Heart
Ah, thank you! I will have a look tonight with Mr B. See what else we can do to help him. Will also start bedtime reading
He does 2 full days and 1 half day, which we will increase once he gets his free hours.
Honestly, from where he was in January- now, he is doing amazing!! So I was kind of shocked when she said about speech and language today
65D8B40E-46F8-45AB-B5C6-C9CE66EB10D1.png

I know the feeling. Mine is shy which doesnā€™t help. Mine went three days but now he does 5 Iā€™ve seen a big difference

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get my 3yo to stop being an utter nightmare when I'm trying to cook?

I give her time warnings ("in ten minutes mummy is going to start cooking") so that me playing with her doesn't end abruptly etc but every day she just nags the whole time I'm trying to cook to play with her, she cries and gets upset that I won't. She seems to sometimes accept it for like 1 minute and then literally the next minute is saying "please come and do Duplo/trains/read" and gets upset when I again have to say no.
Occasionally I manage to get her colouring by herself but she only lasts a few minutes, or I manage to get her playing something like Simon Says or dancing to music. But mostly it's just torture.

Add to that a bonkers 6 month old who is trying to climb everything and is generally a danger to himself every single moment and I just hate the hour or so before dinner, I actually get anxious when it's almost time to start cooking because I know it's going to be awful.

Sorry for the ramble, any help is much appreciated!

• Heart
  • Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.