To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was invited last week to join the valneva trial, would get two vaccines within 28 days, had to be “healthy” and unvaccinated. Either getting valneva or Oxford (although those under 40 would just get valneva I think) and you would have to keep a diary and have around 7 antibody tests over the next 12 months. You are paid a minimum of £550 depending on the number of appointments you need.

Reactions: 6
I was invited last week to join the valneva trial, would get two vaccines within 28 days, had to be “healthy” and unvaccinated. Either getting valneva or Oxford (although those under 40 would just get valneva I think) and you would have to keep a diary and have around 7 antibody tests over the next 12 months. You are paid a minimum of £550 depending on the number of appointments you need.
Interesting - are you tempted to do it? Not heard much about Valneva

My stepdad was on the Oxford trial - he has a checkup monthly with them. The trial was unblinded in Jan and he found out he got the jab and not the placebo so not needed another jab which is good 👏🏻

Reactions: 2

I was invited too 😂 £550 sounds appealing as duck not gonna lie 🤪🤪

Although i am VERY uncertain on getting the vaccine anyway.

So while I'm here can i ask has ANYBODY here received a vaccine and had endocrine/hormone changes afterwards?

Also interested if there's anyone on HRT that has had it???

Reactions: 4
I'm 21 and had my vaccine Thursday, my sister is 18 and had hers yesterday. My whole family are vaccinated now and (touch wood) no side effects other than an achy arm - and the same goes for my friends who are all 18-26 and had little to no side effects. Feel extremely grateful to have had it and to have that little card in my purse. Bring on normality 😂

Reactions: 7
Further to the benefits outweighing the risks the 50-59 age group had a higher number of clots than the younger age groups
Yes I saw that too. Of course you have to look at the number in the context of the number of people that have been vaccinated. I assume pretty much everybody in the 50 - 59 group has been vaccinated now but increasingly fewer in the other age groups.

Edit: The latest comment in the MHRA information is that "Taking into account the different numbers of patients vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in different age groups, the data shows that there is a higher reported incidence rate in the younger adult age groups compared to the older groups"

There appears to be strong evidence that the AZ vaccine does increase the risk of blood clotting events even if it's still not understood exactly why this happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Interesting - are you tempted to do it? Not heard much about Valneva

My stepdad was on the Oxford trial - he has a checkup monthly with them. The trial was unblinded in Jan and he found out he got the jab and not the placebo so not needed another jab which is good 👏🏻
Was tempted - but don’t think I would pass the medical this week as I’m full of cold!

Also given I’m not meant to have Oxford now due to my age I think I would rather just wait my turn....

Yes I saw that too. Of course you have to look at the number in the context of the number of people that have been vaccinated. I assume pretty much everybody in the 50 - 59 group has been vaccinated now but increasingly fewer in the other age groups.

Edit: The latest comment in the MHRA information is that "Taking into account the different numbers of patients vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca in different age groups, the data shows that there is a higher reported incidence rate in the younger adult age groups compared to the older groups"

There appears to be strong evidence that the AZ vaccine does increase the risk of blood clotting events even if it's still not understood exactly why this happens.
I suppose it depends what the uptake was like in the different age groups when they collected the data .

I hope she doesn’t have any lasting side effects

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I wonder how many people will develop health problems, from wearing face masks for hours at a time? I work in a care home and do an eight hour shift Saturday and Sunday. I am required to wear a face mask for most of that time. Considering that I have now had both vaccines, I don't pose that much of a risk to anyone at the moment.
The further lifting of lockdown measures on Monday, does not go far enough, compulsory mask wearing needs to end.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I wonder how many people will develop health problems, from wearing face masks for hours at a time? I work in a care home and do an eight hour shift Saturday and Sunday. I am required to wear a face mask for most of that time. Considering that I have now had both vaccines, I don't pose that much of a risk to anyone at the moment.
The further lifting of lockdown measures on Monday, does not go far enough, compulsory mask wearing needs to end.
Wearing masks is not a new thing, there are job roles where masks are worn routinely for long periods of time. Don’t think adverse reactions or long term problems have been reported.

Reactions: 30
I don’t think there would be a potential for health problems as other professions have worn them before all of this. I do understand why they have them in place in care homes but I do sympathise with you, I wouldn’t like to wear one for an extended period of time, but I do think they’re safe and I do support the reasons behind them. I hope they won’t have to stay in care homes forever though, it makes me so sad for the residents especially for those who may have dementia. I’ve visited family in them many times and my mum worked in one for years, I feel like it’s so much better for the residents to be able to see your face and smile, it might be a bit frightening for some residents 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 8
You have a limited risk of getting Covid-19 but as far as I know it has yet to be proved that the vaccine stops you carrying the virus or transmitting it to someone else.

Reactions: 12
Surgeons seem to cope 😷
Surgeons work in a theatre where there's is a constant temperature and fresh, clean air constantly pumped into the room. Surgeons will also regularly change their mask as per PPE infection control rules.
The public work in stuffy environments and keep the same mask on all day, or stuff it in a pocket for another day.
There's a huge difference

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I’ve been wearing face masks for about ten years at work now and I’m doing fab 🙂

Reactions: 16
Hi! So I just remember there was a vaccine thread, I’ve already posted this on the covid thread, and out of laziness I’ll copy and paste my post. I’ve seen some anecdotal tweets from women saying their menstrual cycles are heavier or changed a bit. I’ve just turned 40 last month. Usually my body runs like clockwork so this has kinda unnerved me a bit:

I had my first dose of AZ on Sunday dinner time, yesterday evening (Monday) I had an anxiety attack and it felt like my depression had settled in again (I had mental health problems 2019 and the start of last year). Out of nowhere it felt like a switch flicked in my head, I was suddenly incredibly irritable, having horrible thoughts, crying on and off and didn’t fall asleep until about 6am. I feel a lot calmer now but it was a bolt out of the blue and scared me a bit.

My anxiety/depression is linked to my hormones (usually feel low 5 or so days before period due) and I’ve had what feels like menstrual cramp in my lower back/stomach since yesterday afternoon along with other side effects although I’m not due for another 2 weeks. I don’t know if that anxiety attack is because of the cramp or if the vaccine has done something to my hormones, I’ve struggled to find any kind of information on it.

Has anyone else noticed anything?

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Hi! So I just remember there was a vaccine thread, I’ve already posted this on the covid thread, and out of laziness I’ll copy and paste my post. I’ve seen some anecdotal tweets from women saying their menstrual cycles are heavier or changed a bit. I’ve just turned 40 last month. Usually my body runs like clockwork so this has kinda unnerved me a bit:

I had my first dose of AZ on Sunday dinner time, yesterday evening (Monday) I had an anxiety attack and it felt like my depression had settled in again (I had mental health problems 2019 and the start of last year). Out of nowhere it felt like a switch flicked in my head, I was suddenly incredibly irritable, having horrible thoughts, crying on and off and didn’t fall asleep until about 6am. I feel a lot calmer now but it was a bolt out of the blue and scared me a bit.

My anxiety/depression is linked to my hormones (usually feel low 5 or so days before period due) and I’ve had what feels like menstrual cramp in my lower back/stomach since yesterday afternoon along with other side effects although I’m not due for another 2 weeks. I don’t know if that anxiety attack is because of the cramp or if the vaccine has done something to my hormones, I’ve struggled to find any kind of information on it.

Has anyone else noticed anything?
Yes it was discussed on the previous thread. It seems to happening to a lot of people but more studies are needed as to why! ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.