To Catch a Copper - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One thing I noticed the police officers saying on the bus that got lost in the more obvious things was one of them saying something like ‘I don’t blame the driver for not wanting YOU on his bus’. It really dripped with contempt and made me wince. Coupled with the outrageous social services threat, those officers were vile to her fairly early on. I’ve seen quite a lot of police chucking people off buses (20 years of travelling round London on the bus) and none of them made it personal like that first comment.

Reactions: 20
The officers shown on the programme have all appeared to be antagonistic. It's like they get a thrill out of having a bit of power. By the language they use and the trigger phrases such as mentioning social services, it's clear they're intending to rile up; presumably so they can justify using force.

The one female officer who had clearly prior discussed using PAVA on someone and told her colleague, "Told you I'd PAVA someone!", like she deserves some sort of medal for spraying a mentally ill woman in the face in an enclosed space.

Also the two male officers who went out to the lady who had absconded from hospital. He could clearly be heard on the bodycam footage calling the lady a "bleeping witch", then claimed during reflective practice that he was actually referring to a cyclist who had rode past too closely to them (who didn't exist). 🙄

They are all despicable and they should be held accountable for their disgusting behaviour and actions. A quick chat with your line manager just doesn't cut it.

Reactions: 23
What he needed was to be sat down with someone who has gone through a mental health crisis and could tell him how it would have felt to be spoken to like that while it was happening. And told to think about that.

Reactions: 5
One thing I noticed the police officers saying on the bus that got lost in the more obvious things was one of them saying something like ‘I don’t blame the driver for not wanting YOU on his bus’. It really dripped with contempt and made me wince. Coupled with the outrageous social services threat, those officers were vile to her fairly early on. I’ve seen quite a lot of police chucking people off buses (20 years of travelling round London on the bus) and none of them made it personal like that first comment.
And then at the meeting with that copper it was mentioned what was said about threatening social services.. and the copper replied "well it normally works "... as in the threat of social services... they should learn how to de escalate the situation without bloody social services threats ffs...

Reactions: 12
Social services should not be a threat, this adds to why everyone has a negative option of them and never wants to engage.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
This programme is so upsetting. It had to turn it off while I was watching the 2nd episode. My heart broke for that poor man who was unwell in custody.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Sorry but the woman leading this force seems inept, she was on radio 4 woman’s hour this morning and just does not seem to have the gusto for the job. I know it’s a lot to do with the system but the message sent by this show is as a police officer basically do what you like and you’ll be laughing on full pay whilst suspended and then get to take early retirement and a decent pension. I can see no deterrent for these shameful officers and think it reinforces the idea they can behave exactly how they like. It’s shameful

Reactions: 15
Sorry but the woman leading this force seems inept, she was on radio 4 woman’s hour this morning and just does not seem to have the gusto for the job. I know it’s a lot to do with the system but the message sent by this show is as a police officer basically do what you like and you’ll be laughing on full pay whilst suspended and then get to take early retirement and a decent pension. I can see no deterrent for these shameful officers and think it reinforces the idea they can behave exactly how they like. It’s shameful
she kept acting shocked by all the cases and I’m sat there thinking… you’re the one in charge!

Reactions: 5
Is this the Chief Constable? If so, I found she's been in Avon and Somerset Police since 1984 so undoubtedly institutionally blinkered.

I found it particularly ironic when she referred to A&S being found institutionally racist in 2017, considering she was in the senior ranks at the time and thus passively helped oversee such a culture.

Reactions: 8
The Chief Constable is an hole. She's like a parody reading from a script.

Another shocking episode. Imagine you sent a picture of your genitals to your colleague and your employer found out. Any normal person would be sacked for gross misconduct but oh we'll just give you a wee warning.

Reactions: 9
The Chief Constable is an hole. She's like a parody reading from a script.

Another shocking episode. Imagine you sent a picture of your genitals to your colleague and your employer found out. Any normal person would be sacked for gross misconduct but oh we'll just give you a wee warning.
Agree. The chief constable comes across as someone who would be happy working in a library. She uses the right words and frowns and looks concerned a lot but she hasn't got it in her to change anything.

Reactions: 8
This programme is so upsetting. It had to turn it off while I was watching the 2nd episode. My heart broke for that poor man who was unwell in custody.
I haven't even watched it, I think it'd be too much for me. I've suffered greatly at the hands of the police, not all of them but too many.

I was on the train the other day and this man and woman had a disagreement or something over her dog that she had with her so she put a complaint on to the conductor when she got to her stop and then called the police!! From what I heard the man hardly said anything to her and he stayed on the train at her stop and had moved away from her straight after the argument so posed no threat. When she was talking to the conductor the man tried to open the train window to tell his side and she got angry and started walking back onto the train!!
Anyway 5 police officers turned up!! And took him off the train then the train left, not sure what happened in the end and I know its nothing compared to this show but what a joke to call the police over that. The man co operated although I didn't hear what was said. Why not just tell her to get over it and let him go home or wherever he was headed