Titanic tourism submersible missing #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
CNN current roundup:

Dwindling air supply: A massive search operation is underway in an area twice the size of Connecticut for the submersible that went missing Sunday – as officials fear there's less than a day's worth of oxygen left on board the craft.

Salvage equipment: A US Navy salvage system capable of retrieving objects or vessels off the bottom of the ocean floor has reached St. John’s, Newfoundland, but it has not yet left for the site in the North Atlantic.

Banging sounds: The US Coast Guard said it has not identified the source of banging noises that were picked up by sonar Tuesday and Wednesday during the search.

Who's on board: The sub is carrying five people — a British adventurer, a French diver, a Pakistani father and son and the founder of OceanGate Expeditions, the company that operated the tour to the Titanic wreckage.

Most reacted posts of the last thread - https://tattle.life/threads/titanic-tourism-submersible-missing.39874/liked

Last edited:
Reactions: 28
All this talk of a rescue mission is misleading. There's no way they'll be rescued, and it's very possible they're already dead. I think they're just trying to locate the sub for retrieval. Sorry for the bluntness, but I don't think the media coverage has been helpful, especially the oxygen countdown. It's very morbid, probably inaccurate, and doesn't take other factors into account. It also feels particularly insensitive to the families of the missing.

The banging sounds they're hearing could be anything. There are many vessels at sea and the search is covering such a wide area. I don't find it a particularly hopeful sign given that the Coast Guard can't identify the noises.

I want them to find the vessel for the sake of the families, but the idea they'll be found alive is false hope I think. Would love to be wrong about this.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 138
All this talk of a rescue mission is misleading. There's no way they'll be rescued, and it's very possible they're already dead. I think they're just trying to locate the sub for retrieval. Sorry for the bluntness, but I don't think the media coverage has been helpful, especially the oxygen countdown. It's very morbid, probably inaccurate, and doesn't take other factors into account. It also feels particularly insensitive to the families of the missing.

The banging sounds they're hearing could be anything. There are many vessels at sea and the search is covering such a wide area. I don't find it a particularly hopeful sign given that the Coast Guard can't identify the noises.

I want them to find the vessel for the sake of the families, but the idea they'll be found alive is false hope I think. Would love to be wrong about this.

I completely agree. I’m not sure why I’m awake so early but the first thing I did just now was check the news with a glimmer of hope. 😔

Reactions: 32
@jkroche95 Mentioned just as the previous thread ended that CEO Stockton Rush's wife is descended from Isador and Ida Straus who perished on the Titanic in 1912.
Here's the article, it's an interesting little side story.
Their story on the Titanic is very heartbreaking. 😢
According to friend and Titanic survivor Colonel Archibald Gracie IV, when he offered to ask an officer if Isidor could enter a lifeboat with Ida, Isidor refused to be made an exception while women and children were still on board, while Ida is reported to have said, "I will not be separated from my husband. As we have lived, so will we die, together." Ida gave her maid her fur coat and insisted she get into a lifeboat. Isidor and Ida were last seen on deck arm in arm; eyewitnesses described the scene as a "most remarkable exhibition of love and devotion".
---
At this point I've accepted that they are dead. I think it's most likely that the submersible had already imploded, and that the noises were coming from something else. Even if it didn't implode, I imagine that the oxygen supply ran out sooner than expected, since the 96-hour amount was never actually tested and could've depleted much faster;

• Sad
Reactions: 31

---
At this point I've accepted that they are dead. I think it's most likely that the submersible had already imploded, and that the noises were coming from something else. Even if it didn't implode, I imagine that the oxygen supply ran out sooner than expected, since the 96-hour amount was never actually tested and could've depleted much faster;
Especially if hyperventilating, panicking and panic attacks, would deplete much quicker

Reactions: 18
Just watching these things makes my heart race o_O, Titanic at 3:30

I'm costrophobic Darren!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
@jkroche95 Mentioned just as the previous thread ended that CEO Stockton Rush's wife is descended from Isador and Ida Straus who perished on the Titanic in 1912.
Here's the article, it's an interesting little side story.
This sent a shiver right through me. Its unbelievable to think the titanic has claimed another 5 lives this much later but then add in that connection and it is adding to the whole weirdness of the situation
I wonder what today brings..

• Heart
Reactions: 30

i agree entirely. I suspect there was a structural failure days ago (if not immediately at the point they lost contact). Family members working in subsea exploration have been very candid saying there is no existing, proven rescue capability even if they knew where the submersible was. Behind the scenes I think the Coastguard knows it’s a recovery operation only.

It’s immensely sad of course, and I understand the press need an emotive headline, but the likelihood is the gentlemen died days ago.

As others have said, I hope this results in Titanic being left alone. This expedition wasn’t exploring; it was tourism.

• Sad
Reactions: 48

---
And going by how shoddy everything else seems to have been done on the sub/by the company, I would take their 96 hour amount suggestion with a huge pinch of salt too.

Reactions: 38
It took 8 days to find the Titanic back then. I think they'll find the sub today or tomorrow. But finding and saving the lost souls are two different things. I hope with all the experienced people on board that their last moments were calm and they passed out to a painless sleep.

Reactions: 24
This sent a shiver right through me. Its unbelievable to think the titanic has claimed another 5 lives this much later but then add in that connection and it is adding to the whole weirdness of the situation
I wonder what today brings..
There are some weird coincidences between the Titanic and the Titan. The managing director of White Star Line, J. Bruce Ismay was on board the Titanic, just as the CEO of OceanGate is on the Titan. And both Stockton Rush and Ismay have been cavalier about safety - it was Ismay‘s decision to have less lifeboats than required for the amount of passengers. Stockton Rush has previously said safety is ‘pure waste.’

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
I don’t know why they didn’t tether Titan to the mother ship. That seems like the obvious thing to do when you are using such a tiny vessel.

Reactions: 39
I was hoping for some news when I woke up.

Currently the Atalante (the vessel with the submersible that can comfortably reach the depths of the wreckage) and the Horizon are speeding at full pelt, (faster than they have travelled at any point so far) toward the same place. This looks promising in terms of a location being found, however it’s getting so close to the wire in terms of any chances of survival.

@MikeChillit on twitter is the best source and you can track the boats on MarineTraffic (app and online).

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 18
There are some weird coincidences between the Titanic and the Titan. The managing director of White Star Line, J. Bruce Ismay was on board the Titanic, just as the CEO of OceanGate is on the Titan. And both Stockton Rush and Ismay have been cavalier about safety - it was Ismay‘s decision to have less lifeboats than required for the amount of passengers. Stockton Rush has previously said safety is ‘pure waste.’
I really do hope that only robots can do down there in future, to see the decay of the wreckage, nothing more. We have artifacts, we have footage and photos for museum and science purposes, we've told the story by film etc. That's more than enough. Let her rest. The link between the CEO's wife and previous victims of the Titanic is chilling.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
I don’t know why they didn’t tether Titan to the mother ship. That seems like the obvious thing to do when you are using such a tiny vessel.
I was wondering this too but apparently a tether could be more dangerous if it got caught on the Titanic wreckage or otherwise tangled up. Seemingly it's better (?) that the submarine can move independently.

Reactions: 8
I was wondering this too but apparently a tether could be more dangerous if it got caught on the Titanic wreckage or otherwise tangled up. Seemingly it's better (?) that the submarine can move independently.
I think not having a tracker was a massive mistake / oversight, this could have all been acted on quicker had they known where the sub was in the first place, it’s like a needle in a haystack at this point 😢
Would love a good outcome but can’t see it at all I hope they exploded and haven’t sat in the dark with strangers in their last moments gasping with panic

Reactions: 20
I’m hoping the CO2 scrubber gave out and they just went to sleep. It’s the only non horrific way to go.

Reactions: 25
It amazes me that in the year of 2023 and the technology we have with marine vehicles, theses guys have got in an old tin can that looks like it was built in 1950???
I think we all know what the unfortunate outcome of this is! I really don't understand how this has been allowed to happen???

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Still no news then? I was hoping for a good outcome overnight. I imagine we'll all be riveted to the news til lunchtime

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.