ThePhotoDept Chris Sturm

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Damn! She moved with him 2.5 yrs ago and she is still his “girlfriend” - not his fiance. If she grew up in Oklahoma then she grew up with the evangelical Christian patriarchy belief system. Wonder if she has even heard of the decentering men and defying patriarchy movement that US women in their 20’s and 30’s are championing. She may be the sole provider of consistent income in that relationship.

Admittedly I don’t have a lot of information about the man, but I’m seeing so many red flags re Chris Sturm based on things he says online and what we know of his actions.
Not that it really matters but I think she is maybe Asia/Southeastern Asian.

Reactions: 5
I think what he means by state insurance is Medicaid but he might have too many assets even if he isn't working now.

I'm confused about this. His new job is working for Jason Lee at his camera shop in CA. Why would he be getting a salary now if he isn't actually working in CA? They just met in Dec so did Lee put him/keep him on the payroll just so he could get medical insurance? I don't think he's getting that new insurance policy otherwise he wouldn't be pushing to get state insurance. Lee did give $1000 to his GFM.

Reactions: 6
Not that it really matters but I think she is maybe Asia/Southeastern Asian.
Yeah the stereotype of Asian women is that they are very deferential to men. However, one of my friends is a Korean. Her parents moved to the US when she was 3. Initially they lived in neighborhoods with other Korean immigrants. But they pushed their 2 daughters to do well in school and go to Ivy League colleges. My friend did that, then went to a state law school and is now a partner in her law firm.

So she is a professional women who makes a lot of money, and has a husband and 2 kids. She does not defer to men.

Reactions: 6
Yeah the stereotype of Asian women is that they are very deferential to men. However, one of my friends is a Korean. Her parents moved to the US when she was 3. Initially they lived in neighborhoods with other Korean immigrants. But they pushed their 2 daughters to do well in school and go to Ivy League colleges. My friend did that, then went to a state law school and is now a partner in her law firm.

So she is a professional women who makes a lot of money, and has a husband and 2 kids. She does not defer to men.
Totally off topic but last night I watched the Netflix doco What Jennifer Did. Interesting look into her culture.

Reactions: 4
I apologize and I know I'm like a crazed dog with a bone, but can someone explain away what he said on the video I posted on page 1 of this thread, at minute 2.20 -- Chris literally said this:

"I had to buy some random insurance on the marketplace just to be able to get to be seen by a doctor which I’m finally doing tomorrow, my birthday, Wednesday, March 20th"

Reactions: 3
I think what he means by state insurance is Medicaid but he might have too many assets even if he isn't working now.

I'm confused about this. His new job is working for Jason Lee at his camera shop in CA. Why would he be getting a salary now if he isn't actually working in CA? They just met in Dec so did Lee put him/keep him on the payroll just so he could get medical insurance? I don't think he's getting that new insurance policy otherwise he wouldn't be pushing to get state insurance. Lee did give $1000 to his GFM.
Chris said in one of his early videos that he would not be eligible for medical insurance through his employer until sometime in April, but he did not say who the employer was or whether the employer was in Michigan or California. He may have gotten a job in Wisconsin and not told his employer that he was planning to move to California this year.

Agree that the state program he mentioned is probably Medicaid but his inability to qualify does not necessarily mean he has assets. If a 2 person household in Wisconsin has more than $1700/month income he doesn’t qualify. Medicaid is for people in poverty. I doubt his girlfriend’s hospital nursing job pay is so low that they live in poverty.

I don’t know anything about the businesses that Jason Lee owns and whether the employees have employer medical insurance. But if a small employer, like a camera shop, adds a person being treated for cancer to their medical insurance, then the monthly premiums will increase a lot. Maybe not immediately - the monthly premium amount might be locked in for the current benefit year.

So I wouldn’t assume that the job there is a sure thing, or that it will include employer sponsored medical insurance. He might have to go on the ACA exchange to buy insurance if he moves to California.

I envy people in the other developed countries around the world since their medical insurance is not connected to their employemnt.They don’t live in fear of losing their jobs and thus their medical insurance. And they have freedom to change employers without any worry about it affecting the cost of their insurance, The US is the only developed country with this hideous, profit driven medical insurance.
---
I apologize and I know I'm like a crazed dog with a bone, but can someone explain away what he said on the video I posted on page 1 of this thread, at minute 2.20 -- Chris literally said this:

"I had to buy some random insurance on the marketplace just to be able to get to be seen by a doctor which I’m finally doing tomorrow, my birthday, Wednesday, March 20th"
I think he went online and applied for insurance under the ACA. But I doubt his application was accepted as I’m not aware of him meeting any of the requirements that allow people to buy insurance outside of the annual open enrollment period. The 2024 open enrollment period ended January 15.

His wife being a nurse in the cancer treatment part of that hospital may have made it possible for him to get seen by doctors there without having insurance. The fact that we are trying to figure this stuff out is because he has not been willing to fully disclose the situation.

Last edited:
And now (well yesterday and it just timed out) - anyway, he's feeding a tiny baby with a bottle of formula on his instagram stories, captioned: "still fighting cancer, still paying thousands and thousands to do it [broken heart emoji]" - gofundme link - followed by several people e-begging on his behalf....

Like you put it so well, "His poor analytical thinking bothers me so much that I can’t watch his videos, but I do read the comments when he drops a new video"

I don't even care if I'm wrong - my skin is crawling and I think he's lying about driving, lying about getting the all-clear from his doctor that he can drive, lying that he bought the insurance from ACA and saw the doctor OR lying that he didn't and doesn't have insurance, lying about the insurance with this brand new job in California when he hasn't even gone to California yet.... Ewww ewww ewww. I think I'd rather watch Tiffany bullshit me than this manipulative crybaby self-centered irresponsible "stubborn" grifter jerk.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I think Christopher Sturm has more intelligent followers than TiffanyThinks. A number of them have expressed concern about him driving, and about him driving and recording video at the same time.

Also, one of them looked up survival statistics for people with non small cell lung cancer with EGFR mutation and commented about it, with a link. Chris Sturm hasn’t yet said anything about survival info for metastatic NSCLC in his YouTube videos other than a vague comment about feeling more optimistic after getting information on his gene mutation.

Can’t imagine one of the TiffanyThinks followers looking online at medical journal articles to see recent survival statistics for colorectal cancer.

Well, now that I think about it, I guess Tiffany might have had followers in the past who did bring up survival information, but she or someone in her family deleted those comments.

Attachments

I think Christopher Sturm has more intelligent followers than TiffanyThinks. A number of them have expressed concern about him driving, and about him driving and recording video at the same time.

Also, one of them looked up survival statistics for people with non small cell lung cancer with EGFR mutation and commented about it, with a link. Chris Sturm hasn’t yet said anything about survival info for metastatic NSCLC in his YouTube videos other than a vague comment about feeling more optimistic after getting information on his gene mutation.

Can’t imagine one of the TiffanyThinks followers looking online at medical journal articles to see recent survival statistics for colorectal cancer.

Well, now that I think about it, I guess Tiffany might have had followers in the past who did bring up survival information, but she or someone in her family deleted those comments.
I have never watched Tiffany, I know almost nothing about her. But i get the sense Christopher thinks of his cancer journey as a documentary style vlog he's producing, he says as much. He seems almost naively optimistic but he does seem to have the support of the photography community he belongs to. I can't help but wonder what his GF says - surely she is more realistic.

I don't watch much of this guy, just following to see where this goes but noticed these latest comments...anyone know what the 2nd one is about? :oops:

ss1.jpg

He posted many comments on his IG yesterday. Apparently he told people to get the covid vaccine when it came out so these are responses to that.

Chris was interviewed on a photography podcast, Analog Talk. He doesn't know when they will move to CA but he'll be treated at UCLA. He's had a hard time getting on state insurance in Wisconsin but he'll qualify for MediCal easily so it's a good thing that he's unemployed. They had considered getting married to get on her insurance but it would cost them more. I assume whatever job he had that he hadn't worked long enough to get coverage is now gone.

He is very optimistic about his prognosis and what is being planned for the new film developing portion of Justin Lee's camera shop. They talk all the time planning it with Justin also interested in how he's doing. He thinks his treatments will allow him to continue to work on that.

All of his GFM money has been spent at the hospital. His bill so far, with treatments, is about $85,000 for his portion.

Last edited:
Please tell me this isn't more stupid bullshit about the Covid vaccine.
I think it is about the vaccine. I’m seeing a number of comments on YouTube videos claiming people have cancer because they got COVID vaccines. Anti vaxxers are not intelligent people - thats clear to me from their comments and from knowing one personally. It used to be that when people did not understand a science topic they at least knew they were not qualified to have an opinion and would trust the things 5at the majority of medical doctors and scientists say about the subject.

Now there are people with no science education after high school going online to say COVID vaccines are gene therapy, that the risks outweigh the benefits, that they cause “turbo cancer” etc. These same people would never try to fix their own car because they know they don’t know how to do it. But they think they know better than doctors and scientists.

Please tell me this isn't more stupid bullshit about the Covid vaccine.
I guess it appears to be. I looked at his first cancer video and the recent comments are all about it, they seem hateful. Wondering what Chris said to make them feel this way about him? I assume he put people down for not getting vaccinated? Either way, the comments are pretty harsh.

He posted many comments on his IG yesterday. Apparently he told people to get the covid vaccine when it came out so these are responses to that.

Chris was interviewed on a photography podcast, Analog Talk. He doesn't know when they will move to CA but he'll be treated at UCLA. He's had a hard time getting on state insurance in Wisconsin but he'll qualify for MediCal easily so it's a good thing that he's unemployed. They had considered getting married to get on her insurance but it would cost them more. I assume whatever job he had that he hadn't worked long enough to get coverage is now gone.

He is very optimistic about his prognosis and what is being planned for the new film developing portion of Justin Lee's camera shop. They talk all the time planning it with Justin also interested in how he's doing. He thinks his treatments will allow him to continue to work on that.

All of his GFM money has been spent at the hospital. His bill so far, with treatments, is about $85,000 for his portion.
Well I have to give him credit for encouraging people to get the COVID vaccine.

If he is talking about getting on MediCal as being cheaper than getting married and then getting on his wife’s insurance, I can understand that. A lot of employers now make it very expensive for the employee to add a spouse or child to their medical insurance. But it does make me wonder if his experience being unable to get on Wisconsin Medicaid has resulted in him figuring out how to “game” the system once he moves to California.

Did he not say anything other than that about marrying his girlfriend? I’m leery of these guys who move in with women, leave the housekeeping, meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking to them and don’t marry them.

I had breast cancer in 2014 and unrelated colon cancer in 2021. Wonder what bogus vaccine I can blame that on. Maybe the flu jab. Idiots.

I follow a woman with a severely disabled child. She and the child's dad live pretty well and but they don't get married because the child needs Medicaid. Kinda puts me off but God bless them for taking such wonderful care of that poor little kid.

• Heart
They moved to Wisconsin for her to attend nursing school. He had to sell some of his cameras to help move so it appears he doesn't have much savings. I don't know if he will become a salaried employee of Justin's camera shop when they move or whether they can figure out a way to keep him on MediCal. He seems very optimistic about putting this whole situation behind him at some point but, if that positive attitude is what is keeping him going, than I won't say anything negative about that.

I had breast cancer in 2014 and unrelated colon cancer in 2021. Wonder what bogus vaccine I can blame that on. Maybe the flu jab. Idiots.

I follow a woman with a severely disabled child. She and the child's dad live pretty well and but they don't get married because the child needs Medicaid. Kinda puts me off but God bless them for taking such wonderful care of that poor little kid.
We do have a lot of “working poor” people in the US. They don’t make enough to pay for housing, utilities, food and medical care but they are not poor enough to qualify for government programs. A lot of USpoliticians say that people on government programs should work, but there is no government paid childcare so those people have a safe place to leave their kids when they go to work. It’s a horrible system.
---
They moved to Wisconsin for her to attend nursing school. He had to sell some of his cameras to help move so it appears he doesn't have much savings. I don't know if he will become a salaried employee of Justin's camera shop when they move or whether they can figure out a way to keep him on MediCal. He seems very optimistic about putting this whole situation behind him at some point but, if that positive attitude is what is keeping him going, than I won't say anything negative about that.
Thanks for this information. In Wisconsin since he lives with his girlfriend her income prevents him from qualifying for Wisconsin Medicaid. The monthly income cutoff there is $1,700.

Im guessing they will move in with his dad when they move to California. Since they are not married her income won’t count. And Medi-Cal, California Medicaid, no longer considers assets - just income.

I doubt he will work full time in California because of the time he will need for cancer treatment and the side effects.

In 2023 the ACA Open Enrollment period started on November 1 and enrollment could be effective as early as January 1, 2024. If it’s the same for the next open enrollment period, he needs the GoFundMe money for now until when he gets on Medi-Cal.

I assume he has looked into which UCLA oncologists accept Medi-Cal. When he was diagnosed with cancer he evidently thought he could buy medical insurance through the ACA whenever he wanted to and then found that no one has to sell him insurance after the end of the open enrollment period, unless he meets certain criteria. Hopefully he now understands the necessity of learning how insurance works.

Last edited:
I HATE how antivaxxers jump on everyone who got the vaccine and then happens to get cancer, have a heart attack or stroke, just anything - and they gleefully call them idiots for falling for the deep state or whatever their demented minds conjures up. I'm gonna start again with him and try to be less annoyed. It will help a LOT if I don't watch his videos! I think he's one of those people (hello Tiffany!) who like to make things up to sound a certain way but never really want to give you the whole unvarnished truth. Sometimes I think they don't even know what the truth is because they live in a confabulation... well, I was gonna start again. I'm upset with myself that I let him bother me so much initially.

Anyway, I looked it up and Wisconsin is one of the bonehead states that refused to expand Medicaid, even with the federal gov't picking up 100% of the cost! My state has lost a few rural hospitals that went under because of so many unpaid bills (because they don't want any freeloading minorities or some such crackpot reasoning - well, lack thereof). I lose a lot of sleep worrying about the vitriol in our polarized country but I need to let that go too.

Boring part so you can skip: They invented Obamacare thinking that everybody would get Medicaid (free) who didn't qualify by their income to get government help on the premium. So there's a bizarre lower cut off. Like if you make, say, $25,000 a year, the govt will pay 95% of your Obamacare premium for you. BUT if you make less than that, the gov't will pay ZERO of your premium for you (because they planned for you to get Medicaid which is free).

But then our rightwing Supreme Court threw out the requirement that states provide Medicaid up to the lower limit ($25k or whatever) [never mind that it would have been free!!!] -- so those very poor people are left with having to pay the huge premium with no help whatsoever!! And it's often $600 a month for one person - something like that. AND the Republicans won't let Congress close that loophole so a whole lot of very poor people have no healthcare coverage whatsoever! This is true for 10 states, almost all in the Deep South (because of rightwing/antivax stupidity) but Wisconsin is the midwestern outlier! The other 2 non-southern states are Wyoming (libertarian cowboys) and Kansas (almost southern and a rightwing stronghold).

Wherre's my ativan?!?!?

ETA: I wrote all that before I saw AlwaysScience's great post so sorry if it sounds like I ignored her.
---
In Wisconsin since he lives with his girlfriend her income prevents him from qualifying for Wisconsin Medicaid. The monthly income cutoff there is $1,700.
Wow - that's shocking! I didn't think you even had to count a girlfriend's income (only your actual spouse).

Anyway, I live in Mississippi - and would you believe that no matter how poor you are, even ZERO income, you cannot get Medicaid - UNLESS you are under the age of 18 or you have children in your household under 18 that you are the primary caretaker of. Oh and one other exception: pregnant women.

I doubt any other state is as cruel as that. And bear in mind, by some measure, we're the poorest state in the union, 39% African American (and there's your reason, ladies and gents). I'm so disgusted with these people, my people I guess, but I don't think there's a remedy. I mean, I could move, but I have a lot of family and friends and I'm not poor. Miserable maybe, but not poor.
---
Oh tit - I wasn't gonna do this, but yet another thing about Chris' story doesn't make sense to me:

"He doesn't know when they will move to CA but he'll be treated at UCLA."

Why stay and e-beg for 100s of thousands of dollars when he could just go ahead and move, stay with his dad, and get this wonderful Stanford treatment on California's Medicaid? when he doesn't qualify for Wisconsin's?

And he says he doesn't qualify because he lives with his girlfriend?? Does that mean that every person in his state who has any kind of roommate would have to count their roommate's income (and there not qualify for Medicaid)?

Damn, man, MOVE and visit her occasionally. It's your LIFE we're talking about.

OR - and this is very simple - say that you broke up with her and she's not your girlfriend any more but you're simply "roommates" -- or rent a frickin' room from someone and have that separate address and the medical expenses would outweigh the cost of that room many times over!!!

But no.... Instead of doing something logical, he wants people to dig into their savings and send him money to save him. Ughhhh. Someone tell me to go away. I've managed to quit watching him, but here I am, getting worked up, just reading about his flakey grifty decision making.

Last edited: