The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's a very two tier system depending on what your job is.
Agree completely - I know medicine is a very prestigious/honourable career and that’ll attract some students regardless but I can’t help but wonder if this new split is going to dissuade potential students in future? Like if you’re a strong STEM student would you rather be at home earning dev/other money remotely or commuting in, dealing with government tit, as a doctor? Same goes for dentistry tbh. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 5
The mail have calculated it at 3k a year extra, with 600 of that being the NI hike.

Even for those that can afford it then it's going to take a huge chunk out of their spending and have a collosal effect as less money is spent and not multiplied throughout the economy.

Is it too much to say this could be almost on the same level as covid detrimental to people's health and wellness?

---
Pasting a snippet here to not give the mail traffic after some of the ridiculous articles about tattle.

The £3,000 big squeeze: Household bills 'will be unaffordable for a QUARTER of Britons' as they soar by almost double last month's forecast and experts warn of 'Awful April' for families
  • Households facing £3,000 spending squeeze in 2022 due to rising inflation
  • Economists say inflation could hit a 30-year high - now dubbed ‘Awful April’
  • Chancellor Rishi Sunak is under increasing pressure to ease the swelling crisis
  • Nearly one in three households could soon struggle to afford to heat own homes
Households are facing at least a £3,000 spending squeeze in 2022 as soaring energy bills send inflation through the roof.
Economists expect inflation to hit a 30-year high in what has been dubbed ‘Awful April’, forcing the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) to re-evaluate its already gloomy forecast less than a month after making it.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is under increasing pressure from many in his own party to step up and ease the swelling crisis.

Experts predict basic household spending will be £2,440 higher than at the start of the pandemic. But on top of this, families are facing the added burden of a £600 national insurance hike and other tax rises.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
This talk of rising household bills is really starting to get me down and make me worried. My other half is self employed so his income varies month to month. I can't see how we'll be able to afford this rise in bills. I understand things have to go up in price, but the sheer amount they're forecasting them to go up is so frightening.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
This talk of rising household bills is really starting to get me down and make me worried. My other half is self employed so his income varies month to month. I can't see how we'll be able to afford this rise in bills. I understand things have to go up in price, but the sheer amount they're forecasting them to go up is so frightening.
Completely agree it's bloody terrifying. I'm a single mum working part time, I already rely on UC to get by.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
The mail have calculated it at 3k a year extra, with 600 of that being the NI hike.

Even for those that can afford it then it's going to take a huge chunk out of their spending and have a collosal effect as less money is spent and not multiplied throughout the economy.

Is it too much to say this could be almost on the same level as covid detrimental to people's health and wellness?

---
Pasting a snippet here to not give the mail traffic after some of the ridiculous articles about tattle.

The £3,000 big squeeze: Household bills 'will be unaffordable for a QUARTER of Britons' as they soar by almost double last month's forecast and experts warn of 'Awful April' for families
  • Households facing £3,000 spending squeeze in 2022 due to rising inflation
  • Economists say inflation could hit a 30-year high - now dubbed ‘Awful April’
  • Chancellor Rishi Sunak is under increasing pressure to ease the swelling crisis
  • Nearly one in three households could soon struggle to afford to heat own homes
Households are facing at least a £3,000 spending squeeze in 2022 as soaring energy bills send inflation through the roof.
Economists expect inflation to hit a 30-year high in what has been dubbed ‘Awful April’, forcing the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) to re-evaluate its already gloomy forecast less than a month after making it.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak is under increasing pressure from many in his own party to step up and ease the swelling crisis.

Experts predict basic household spending will be £2,440 higher than at the start of the pandemic. But on top of this, families are facing the added burden of a £600 national insurance hike and other tax rises.
How bleeping depressing. Im in asda currently looking at all the prices, people wont be able to afford to eat soon enough.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
This is staggering and I believe it too. 😮

Most people I know including myself only put the heating on a couple of hours a day to take the edge off the cold. This will force people not to have it at all.

• Sad
  • Heart
It's always been survival of the richest. Even in Venezula after they were hit with hyperinflation there was still always food just that not everyone could afford to eat.

• Sad
This is staggering and I believe it too. 😮

Most people I know including myself only put the heating on a couple of hours a day to take the edge off the cold. This will force people not to have it at all.
Yes, agree. I'm WFH, I have multiple blankets to keep me warmer, I always wear a dressing gown when I'm in the house and I'm looking at getting fingerless gloves

• Heart
I think my heating is ok. E.on are charging me £12 a month, hope that's right as they've been awful so far! The quotes I've had for electric have been so high though.

Sent e.on a quick message about my electric today to be told to wait 🙄 so will sort out the ombudsman later and let the lady at octopus know and asked if I can transfer to them

• Wow
Reactions: 1
We already live paycheck to paycheck. I can't see how or where we can make cutbacks to cover all these increasing costs
I'm so worried about the future

• Sad
  • Heart
It's always been survival of the richest. Even in Venezula after they were hit with hyperinflation there was still always food just that not everyone could afford to eat.
Same as Afghanistan, huge percentage of the country malnourished. The shops have food but people don't have money.

If 1/3 or 1/4 can't afford the basics that sounds like the start of a revolution.

I think my heating is ok. E.on are charging me £12 a month, hope that's right as they've been awful so far! The quotes I've had for electric have been so high though.

Sent e.on a quick message about my electric today to be told to wait 🙄 so will sort out the ombudsman later and let the lady at octopus know and asked if I can transfer to them
£12 a month sounds REALLY cheap.

Reactions: 7
People also won’t just be cold, a lot will be living in increasingly mouldy homes because they can’t afford continuous heating and who’s going to open windows when they’re already cold? Something’s got to give. A neighbour of mine moved to the next street so she had two occupied homes either side because the heating costs were so high having an abandoned house next door.

We already live paycheck to paycheck. I can't see how or where we can make cutbacks to cover all these increasing costs
I'm so worried about the future
I feel this to my soul.

Cutbacks can be done on frivolous items such as clothes, shoes, restaurants or cinemas. But we can't cut back on food or heating.

I am already eating less meat because a good portion of meat is now around 10€ where I live. So, my body already has less protein. If I cut back on heating I'll just be sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
People also won’t just be cold, a lot will be living in increasingly mouldy homes because they can’t afford continuous heating and who’s going to open windows when they’re already cold? Something’s got to give. A neighbour of mine moved to the next street so she had two occupied homes either side because the heating costs were so high having an abandoned house next door.
It's such a problem in the UK having damp homes, a dehumidifier can help but obviously it's an expensive electrical item to run. But cheaper than running the heating to prevent mould.

Another thing to bare in mind when moving is finding a house with the rooms you use during the day facing south and getting sunlight. Can make an unheated room comfortably warm throughout the day if it's sunny.

It's such a problem in the UK having damp homes, a dehumidifier can help but obviously it's an expensive electrical item to run. But cheaper than running the heating to prevent mould.

Another thing to bare in mind when moving is finding a house with the rooms you use during the day facing south and getting sunlight. Can make an unheated room comfortably warm throughout the day if it's sunny.
Definitely! I’ve just bit the bullet this weekend and bought one because of the heating costs and it’s filling up within a day. It says it’s eco but will keep an eye on how much electricity it uses. I’d love one for downstairs but too expensive right now. The air is so much fresher, it’s sad how many people are basically priced out of fresh air. South-facing is definitely something I’ll be paying attention to when I move. The front isn’t so I spend summer days in the shade then sweat my 🍈 🍈 off at night.

Reactions: 6
It is very worrying i put the heating for an hour in the morning . Have a shower not a bath also thinking of looking for a second job and new better paid job.

• Sad
It’s terrifying. We are in our overdraft every month as is and debt is mounting. We can’t avoid putting the heating on as due to the property we rent, even with heating it’s colder than most peoples houses without. I am self employed so income is hugely dependent on what hours I can get which in itself has dropped massively since the pandemic. I’m also pregnant and can’t easily pick up a different job due to schedule conflicts with my partner and one of us always having to be home with our dogs.

We quite genuinely can’t afford an extra £50 a month nevermind anything more. We so desperately want to buy a home but are completely trapped by constantly rising bills. Yet that age old irony of us being trusted to pay an astronomical amount in rent, but god forbid less for a mortgage without a huge deposit or more ‘stable’ incomes. I can pay £1000 a month on council tax and rent alone, but not a £400 mortgage.

They’ve got us exactly where they want us all. Fucked.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.