The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fuuuuuuu...ck. It won't just be energy prices though. It will be everything else ☹
I didn’t realise it would be his bad. I’ve not seen stock troubles in supermarkets but price increases are creeping in. Council Tax will rise in April, rail fares have increased should I return to the office in the summer and petrol is ridiculous.

10 years ago we wouldn’t be able to cope with costs like they are now. At one point we had £400 a month after bills to pay for petrol, shopping, clothes etc. We are in a much more comfortable position now but having been at the point where you watch every single penny I know how hard the struggle is for many and it’s only getting worse 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 11
The thought of the future actually scares me a bit. I can't see how this will be sustainable for so so many of us.

Reactions: 12
The thought of the future actually scares me a bit. I can't see how this will be sustainable for so so many of us.
This isn't sustainable at all.

I don't know how many here are old enough to remember to cost of products in the 90s but it feels like a dream at this point. I remember when my parents would give me 5€ as pocket money and I swear I could buy 1/5 of the grocery store no problem.

Within a single year I feel like my salary evaporated, even with the pay increase I got.

• Heart
Its all very worrying, especially as my employer isn't giving us any raises as such they just keep cutting our weekly hrs telling us its essentially the same. Not really as we still have the same volume of work so end up staying over contracted hours unpaid 😕.

I moved out at 17, a weekly shop for 2 was £20, this was meat,cleaning, laundry the lot! This was early 00s.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
The reality is most of us can't cope with one bill rising nevermind most of them. And we aren't talking reasonable rises, we are talking doubling, tripling etc. I quite literally don't have an extra £10 a month going spare nevermind hundreds. Every month is overdrafts and more debt, it's just going to massively spiral out of control for so many people now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I moved out at 17, a weekly shop for 2 was £20, this was meat,cleaning, laundry the lot! This was early 00s.
Same story here. When I went to university at 17 I lived off 300€ per month and I was going to cinemas, museums, buying clothes and eating healthily for next no nothing.

Now I earn 2200€ per month but it feels like I have the purchasing power of someone who earns 100€. It is mental.

In the span of 2 years I left the city for the countryside because I couldn't afford 1600€ per month for rent. Even in a small town of less than 6,000 people my rent is getting closer to big cities.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Energy companies are laying people off and moving their call centres overseas. Wages are pennies really when you factor in all the hikes, energy hikes, rent will no doubt increase as it does every new tax year, council tax increases, food prices have shot up - getting less for more money. The tax bracket has lowered but the minimum wage has gone up so it makes zero difference, people are worse off financially more than ever.. People are literally working 1,2,3 jobs JUST to cover the essentials. People wont be able to afford to go to restaurants, or pubs, or shopping splurges, days out etc when they struggle to pay the basics. I keep saying it, and i'll continue to keep saying it... We are heading for a recession. I can't see the government stepping in to prevent this massive gas hike.

I can see a lot more people are gonna be homeless, a lot more people will be turning to crime because lets face it - crime pays. Poverty levels are going to be through the roof & with poverty comes poor health with our already strangled NHS. You need to invest in the people to be able to see the profits... Making cuts here there n everywhere and keeping up with the cuts, it just doesnt make any sense.

Reactions: 8
This is for the states, but food prices had been coming down for decades and people were spending less and less of their income on it

thr-income-spent-on-food_custom-ed63b133b0b3914191e299c179a61271caa0db71-s1100-c50.png

I think there's many reasons why long term this was unsustainable long term (globalisation, growing middle class across the world etc). But it's very worrying as people have got used to spending this percentage of income on food and are stretched as is. Probably helped things like the house prices increases as people had more money to spend and push up the prices.

There's going to be so much less money sloshing about in the economy from the energy prices alone that it'll be monumental the wider ramifications.

Struggling retail will struggle more when most of us suddenly have to tighten our belts a few notches more come April. I'm trying to do Low Buy this year but for a lot of people doing Low Buy is a) already what they do because of funds and b) not going to cover the costs of the hikes.

Reactions: 12
Struggling retail will struggle more when most of us suddenly have to tighten our belts a few notches more come April. I'm trying to do Low Buy this year but for a lot of people doing Low Buy is a) already what they do because of funds and b) not going to cover the costs of the hikes.
I really need to get my arse in gear. We have an extra freezer now and I’m starting to get bits to fill it (yellow sticker bread, batch cooking) but I’m not meal planning and I’ve not done a proper shop for nearly a month and just popping to get something every few days is not great.

Plus my no takeaways/eating out in Jan went straight out of the window after 3 days 🤦🏻‍♀️
I’m scared to total up how much we’ve spent so far 😬 I really want to start taking retirement provisions seriously and this can be the first area we can cut back.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
If there's 28 million households and energy bills alone are going up on average £800 then that's 22 billion. I know it's easy to get quite 🤷 with all the talk of millions / billions that have been printed etc but it's staggering. And energy price increase are only one of many increases coming.

Octopus have emailed me back about my electric. My meter is registered to a house 2 doors down and I need to speak to Scottish Power to change it and find the MPAN number.
Don't know if to just go to the ombudsman or chase it myself/speak to e.on again.

Reactions: 2
A recent poll suggested that half of Britons would not be able to afford a rise in their monthly bills of £50 a month. That's the increase which is coming in a few week's time.

This feels almost on a scale of covid, half of the country won't be able to afford to pay energy bills come April 😳! I've never quite got how the estimating works as mine is always so off, but I wonder if as it's warmer by April if many will be able to get by but then it comes to hit in the autumn?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
A recent poll suggested that half of Britons would not be able to afford a rise in their monthly bills of £50 a month. That's the increase which is coming in a few week's time.

This feels almost on a scale of covid, half of the country won't be able to afford to pay energy bills come April 😳! I've never quite got how the estimating works as mine is always so off, but I wonder if as it's warmer by April if many will be able to get by but then it comes to hit in the autumn?
The thing is, that £50 a month is *one* bill we can't afford. They fail to acknowledge nearly everything is rising, council tax, electricity, fuel etc etc. I think if they were realistic and looked at that, essentially noone could afford it.

• Heart
The thing is, that £50 a month is *one* bill we can't afford. They fail to acknowledge nearly everything is rising, council tax, electricity, fuel etc etc. I think if they were realistic and looked at that, essentially noone could afford it.
Very true, although I do think lots could afford the rises as so many have never been doing so well with all the money saved on commuting and the tit spent because you're traveling into work and short of time.

From where I am in Kent a monthly season ticket is £400+ and lots are saving that. It's a very two tier system depending on what your job is.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Octopus have emailed me back about my electric. My meter is registered to a house 2 doors down and I need to speak to Scottish Power to change it and find the MPAN number.
Don't know if to just go to the ombudsman or chase it myself/speak to e.on again.
Use the ombudsman if you can. It's been two years, they should have sorted this after two weeks.
Also who the hell is paying for the electric if its registered two doors down? I wouldn't touch this myself any more. Leave it to the experts.

Reactions: 3
Use the ombudsman if you can. It's been two years, they should have sorted this after two weeks.
Also who the hell is paying for the electric if its registered two doors down? I wouldn't touch this myself any more. Leave it to the experts.
Yea I think that's best, I don't want to be waiting around for them to tell it it's through someone else etc

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.