The Trussell Trust

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Their research focusses on their Foodbanks because that’s where they can get consistent data from. You can read about what they do with their funding in their annual report.

And as for Trussell Trust not doing that much … I mean, there’s a thread on here about them - they’re a household name - they’ve started umpteen conversations about food poverty - them and their cause are prescient in public consciousness.
---
It’s also important to remember that profit making companies spend millions influencing government and policy, both publicly and behind the scenes. For Trussell trust to be generating conversations in parliament is actually quite impressive if you think about their funding compared to shady corporates.
They have a public presence and are a household name because they will let anyone do things in their name - see Jack Monroe. They were willing to distribute a book that had untested, unworkable recipes and tips that were actually dangerous to their users until the internet backlash against the book meant they had to step in. And while part of the responsibility to update is on Jack and the publisher, the TT haven’t updated about the distribution either. There’s a fair chance some of the sales, maybe even most, were based on the online shops who were directly promoting that link, if they’ve cut the tie and won’t distribute, TT should come forward and say that.

And because they flatly refuse to acknowledge the presence of anyone else in their sector. They don’t signpost to other food banks in areas where the ones tied to them don’t operate. I can accept there might be issues with getting consistent data from small independent food banks, but what about the Salvation Army? Similarly if they said they didn’t want to link to independent banks that aren’t verified, fair enough, but again, they could link to the Salvation Army (who yes also have some problematic aspects but if someone is desperate for food, being signposted there is far better than “sorry our nearest bank is 10 miles away from you.”).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This is what monthly donations go towards - long term change addressing the root causes of the issue.
And they’re rubbish at that, too. Generating conversations 🤣 anyone can do that for a lot less than the millions they have sitting in their accounts.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
And they’re rubbish at that, too. Generating conversations 🤣 anyone can do that for a lot less than the millions they have sitting in their accounts.
You might note I wrote ‘long term change’. Food poverty isn’t going to be solved in few years - it’s structural and deeply embedded into the way uk society operates. Expecting on small charity to solve that in a very short time frame is naive at best
---
They have a public presence and are a household name because they will let anyone do things in their name - see Jack Monroe. They were willing to distribute a book that had untested, unworkable recipes and tips that were actually dangerous to their users until the internet backlash against the book meant they had to step in. And while part of the responsibility to update is on Jack and the publisher, the TT haven’t updated about the distribution either. There’s a fair chance some of the sales, maybe even most, were based on the online shops who were directly promoting that link, if they’ve cut the tie and won’t distribute, TT should come forward and say that.

And because they flatly refuse to acknowledge the presence of anyone else in their sector. They don’t signpost to other food banks in areas where the ones tied to them don’t operate. I can accept there might be issues with getting consistent data from small independent food banks, but what about the Salvation Army? Similarly if they said they didn’t want to link to independent banks that aren’t verified, fair enough, but again, they could link to the Salvation Army (who yes also have some problematic aspects but if someone is desperate for food, being signposted there is far better than “sorry our nearest bank is 10 miles away from you.”).
I’ve skimmed some of the jack monroe threads - I get the gist. And I don’t think it was a smart move of them, nor do I particularly like what I read about jack. But she’s not the sole reason they’re a household name.

You might note I wrote ‘long term change’. Food poverty isn’t going to be solved in few years - it’s structural and deeply embedded into the way uk society operates. Expecting on small charity to solve that in a very short time frame is naive at best
---
They’ve had over a quarter of a century, not just a “few years”. What’s naive is taking these large, corporate charities on face value. TT is not small fry. And for a charity to have a £40m surplus but make their users pick between tea or coffee, well, that says it all 🙃

Reactions: 3
Gonna sound really pessimistic but why would large charities even want to fulfil the cause? TT solves the need for food banks, then what? You’re not telling me that the top dogs don’t enjoy their wages (which if they’re anything like other big charities, the salaries will be high and have good bonuses). To solve the problem doesn’t do any of these charities any good- they’re run as businesses and act like any other business.

Reactions: 6
And as for Trussell Trust not doing that much … I mean, there’s a thread on here about them - they’re a household name - they’ve started umpteen conversations about food poverty - them and their cause are prescient in public consciousness.
You say that BiB as though it's a good thing. Really gets people talking, eh.

• Heart
---

I’ve skimmed some of the jack monroe threads - I get the gist. And I don’t think it was a smart move of them, nor do I particularly like what I read about jack. But she’s not the sole reason they’re a household name.
I would honestly never had heard of the Trussell Trust and its millions in the bank, had it not been for Jack Monroe.

• Heart
---

She’s not, but you lie down with dogs and you get fleas as they say.

She’d apparently crossed a line with them before with her “dead people can’t riot” T-shirts that she said they’d approved but they said they hadn’t and distanced themselves from it. Yet they were willing to have publicity from her again, and to distribute her book again even though people had raised valid concerns about earlier books of hers having recipes that didn’t work and clearly without any proof reading whatsoever (perhaps some of the recipes wouldn’t grab you but the tips - filing down a tuna can to make an egg ring or using a hammer as a tin opener - were clearly and obviously dangerous).

To me it shows they’re happy to put their name to anything if they see £££ and similarly to have anyone representing them (as that’s how her book claims will have made it appear) if they think they can get something out of it. Even if that would put the people they’re claiming to support at risk, ie via a book that could really have injured someone if they’d tried the tips thinking they must be safe because the book came from the TT.

Jack is one public example that shows their lack of moral standards, I’d dread to think what else is going on behind the scenes.

• Heart
Reactions: 9