The pros and cons of protesting.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The article @kat.becs posted was informative. If you don’t read the most important point I took from it was

Another reason why this phrase is counterproductive is that it diminishes the unique differences and experiences racial groups face. Each of us is different and by saying that one of the most obvious and conspicuous characteristics about a person is something you ignore is dismissive and trivializing.
Also, just because people as individuals treat their ethnic minority friends and colleagues the same, doesnt mean that everyone does or that society in general and institutions do. I am from an Asian background. The hidden racism is the most harmful because you cant see it. It's just additional concerns that people have because they are black or other minority groups that white people from the same background wouldn't have. The stereotypical expectations at school, the police stops, black lawyers going into court and being mistaken for the defendant, the first hijab wearing judge going into court and being led to the cleaning cupboard. It's that sort of thing. Poor white boys are disadvantaged and in no way privileged but 'white privelege' a term I dont like for this reason- means they dont have to put up with racism on top of everything else, whereas a poor black boy would have all the disadvantages of being poor plus the risk of being arrested more often than the poor white boy, or have poor access to medical help or to not be believed when they go into hospital for example, which research shows does happen, and is seen as one of the reasons for the higher covid deaths.
And the hard left are just as responsible as anyone but because of their virtue signalling you can't call it out. As Priti Patel said ( and I have no time for her at all) telling ethnic minorities how to think as if they are all a homogenous mass is racist. We are both from East African Asian communities. My dad is very left wing and I would say I was centre left but the vast majority of people I know from that background are Tory. Yet according to some Labour MP's and the Guardisnistas that makes them 'lesser' ethnic minorities.I read an article after the Tories won the election and Boris filled his cabinet with ethnic minorities that was the most offensive thing I had ever read, about people from.my community. Basically saying we didnt know what we were doing because we were brainwashed by colonialism and money. If Priti Patel was an unpleasant white Tory man she would not have got half the stick she does from the left.

Reactions: 2
It is very disingenuous to say you don’t notice a persons race!! You actually don’t notice if a person is black?? Chinese?? Oh please....you sound ridiculous
This. I cringe hard when people pretend they don’t notice what race someone is.

dani your original post seems a bit disingenuous? I don’t think white peoples views on this are particularly important to be honest

Reactions: 3
This. I cringe hard when people pretend they don’t notice what race someone is.

dani your original post seems a bit disingenuous? I don’t think white peoples views on this are particularly important to be honest
Why are white peoples views not important????? And cringe all you want as a human being to me is just that regardless of gender, colour, religion etc....and I do know what I'm going on about but I don't need long words to try and be better than the other person. That actually is causing most of the problems....

• Heart
As a non white, I prefer the racism of the 70s' it was open, people called you a black bastard or n***** , paki to your face. They would say, there is no way I am promoting a n*****. Today You can't be sure where you stand, people are nice to your face and stab you in the back. Just my opinion as a non white.

Why are white peoples views not important????? And cringe all you want as a human being to me is just that regardless of gender, colour, religion etc....and I do know what I'm going on about but I don't need long words to try and be better than the other person. That actually is causing most of the problems....
Long words causing most of the problems? Disingenuous is hardly an obscure word maybe read a book 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
White peoples views aren’t that important when it’s about a subject that a white person hadn’t experienced personally. It’s not a white persons place to tell a POC how to feel and how to act in regards to racism because said white person has never experienced it.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
White peoples views aren’t that important when it’s about a subject that a white person hadn’t experienced personally. It’s not a white persons place to tell a POC how to feel and how to act in regards to racism because said white person has never experienced it.
I bet this comment will get removed but I think it's pretty disgusting to say that racism does not happen to white people and our views aren't "very important". I've seen some horrific videos posted on recent attacks on white people since the protests and have experienced racism myself because I'm white. Not to say in any shape or form that racism on black people is OK or Black lives do not matter, but it is annoying me and other "unimportant whites" that ignorant people like you think white lives do not matter and get no abuse when abuse on whites is going up. Racism is disgusting on a black person, asian, eastern European (as they also suffered with a lot of racism - Brexit), it is disgusting for anyone. Let's not downplay racism on ANY culture/ethnicity, please.

Reactions: 2
I bet this comment will get removed but I think it's pretty disgusting to say that racism does not happen to white people and our views aren't "very important". I've seen some horrific videos posted on recent attacks on white people since the protests and have experienced racism myself because I'm white. Not to say in any shape or form that racism on black people is OK or Black lives do not matter, but it is annoying me and other "unimportant whites" that ignorant people like you think white lives do not matter and get no abuse when abuse on whites is going up. Racism is disgusting on a black person, asian, eastern European (as they also suffered with a lot of racism - Brexit), it is disgusting for anyone. Let's not downplay racism on ANY culture/ethnicity, please.
No one is downplaying it or saying it doesn't happen but the facts are that being white does not disadvantage people in the same way being black does. I've experienced discrimination due to my nationality but on the whole I've been able to live my life without suspicion, hate, disadvantage or discrimination because I am white.

Reactions: 5
White people can experience racial prejudice but not really racism. Racism is prejudice that is combined with social and institutional power.

And in the case of BLM, white person's opinion isn't really as important. Especially when they're opposing it. It's not really a white persons place to tell a POC how to feel about racism. Nope.

Reactions: 10
It’s not racism because someone is Eastern European though so please do some research and get a better understanding before you start spewing rubbish. Someone saying something crappy to an Eastern European isn’t racist because being from Eastern Europe isn’t a race.

I would also love to see your stats that abuse / racism on whites is going up. Odd that you would have a huge issue with that bit totally gloss over problems the BLM has highlighted recently.

Pros and cons of protests...
Unconfirmed but there are reports of black people now attacking white people, not just the police,
police looking on as they all fight each other, afraid to get involved.

and scumbags just there to kick someone or something and have a beer 🤷‍♀️

hard to see where this is going or where it’s going to end now, the cause has long since been forgotten.

Unconfirmed but there are reports of black people now attacking white people, not just the police,
police looking on as they all fight each other, afraid to get involved.

and scumbags just there to kick someone or something and have a beer 🤷‍♀️

hard to see where this is going or where it’s going to end now, the cause has long since been forgotten.

Stories about people like this just piss me off. Same with all the right wing arseholes abusing police today. It gives the whole BLM movement a bad image 😣

Stories about people like this just piss me off. Same with all the right wing arseholes abusing police today. It gives the whole BLM movement a bad image 😣
the protests were hijacked and whatever is happening now is difficult viewing.

Reactions: 1
the protests were hijacked and whatever is happening now is difficult viewing.
It seems there were still BLM protests happening with no issues but of course the bad ones were the ones that were televised and spread more

It seems there were still BLM protests happening with no issues but of course the bad ones were the ones that were televised and spread more
from what I’ve seen the BLM arranged protests actually passed relatively peacefully.
the yobs pissing on the statues they were “defending” seem to be the problem.
boris must be so proud

its hard to know looking at twitter what were being told and not being told though 🤷‍♀️

Glad we had those there to protect the memorials and the police by pissing on memorials and attacking the police.

No one is downplaying it or saying it doesn't happen but the facts are that being white does not disadvantage people in the same way being black does. I've experienced discrimination due to my nationality but on the whole I've been able to live my life without suspicion, hate, disadvantage or discrimination because I am white.
I'm sorry but some white people do experience all those things you've mentioned ,which is why the civil rights movement was set up in Ireland in the 60's .

I'm sorry but some white people do experience all those things you've mentioned ,which is why the civil rights movement was set up in Ireland in the 60's .
That isn’t because those people were white though. No one is saying other prejudices don’t exist but catholics in NI weren’t persecuted *for* being white, it’s not comparable. The people doing the discrimination were also white so race has literally nothing to do with it. What an odd topic to raise in this thread.

Reactions: 6
That isn’t because those people were white though. No one is saying other prejudices don’t exist but catholics in NI weren’t persecuted *for* being white, it’s not comparable. The people doing the discrimination were also white so race has literally nothing to do with it.
No they were/are PERSECUTED for being Catholic! They still face the same hardships as POC in respect of housing ,jobs ,police brutality and had to fight hard to have their voices heard..