The Death Penalty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A woman was recently executed in the USA, her crime involved a baby, I was pleased to hear she got the needle.

I'm all for the Death Penalty, especially when it comes to crimes involving children.

I do understand that there are people on death row who might be innocent which is why the likes of Kim Kardashain
are getting involved in preventing executing a possible innocent man. The science has to be bulletproof for anyone
to be executed.
I think I read about the first one you mentioned - is that the woman who had been horrifically abused as a child which had long lasting effects on her? Lots of people argued that she shouldn’t have been given the death penalty because of that, but because the crime was pre meditated (and so awful) I’m not so sure. It was a really interesting case to read about though and made me question what I thought about it.

Reactions: 4
If there is bulletproof evidence duck yes it should be.

Anyone who fucks with kids deserves death.
There's some sick fuckers in this world who don't deserve a place here.

Reactions: 9
A case that has always stuck with me is Lauren Kavanaugh. It was so upsetting, she was abused (which is an understatement when you read what she went through) by her mum and step dad. They should have got the death penalty, definitely.

Child abuse cases I do think the death penalty is appropriate.

Reactions: 8
I feel like prison should be harder for those who do commit such awful crimes because the death penalty can sometimes seem like an easy way out.
Prison can be so cushty and as a previous poster said, they get treated better than some ex military/pensioners. They should get the bare minimum. No luxuries at all. I get that in some prisons if your crime is to do with kids etc then they will make your life a misery (rightfully so!) but it just doesn’t seem much of a punishment anymore?

I heard on the news a situation where a teenager was carrying acid and he didn’t really care if he went down or not because he’ll get out and carry on.The system is definitely broken and I wouldn’t know how to start to fix it.

Reactions: 6
I think any thing that involves children should automatically lead to the death penalty.

I think horrific home invasions where people are bound and tortured should also lead to it.

I think for some it would be an easy way out and therefore believe that prisons should be harder. Like the ones in a Russia. Absolutely hell on earth and they deserve to be there. Our country is too soft.

Reactions: 8
No to the death penalty - too many uncertainties

However, for the most heinous crimes, life should mean life. And it shouldn't mean a nice comfy cell with lots of optional extras based on good behaviour otherwise where's the deterrent?

Reactions: 9
Yes.
For the following:

rapists.
Child abusers.
Murderers.

But not like the ridiculous American system where people are on death row for 30 years on appeal. No. If someone is convicted of raping a child they should die there and then, the day of conviction.

I don't beleive in it in any circumstances.
You’re telling if if someone raped and tourted baby they should be allowed to live? No. Sorry but no.

Reactions: 7
I feel like prison should be harder for those who do commit such awful crimes because the death penalty can sometimes seem like an easy way out.
Prison can be so cushty and as a previous poster said, they get treated better than some ex military/pensioners. They should get the bare minimum. No luxuries at all. I get that in some prisons if your crime is to do with kids etc then they will make your life a misery (rightfully so!) but it just doesn’t seem much of a punishment anymore?

I heard on the news a situation where a teenager was carrying acid and he didn’t really care if he went down or not because he’ll get out and carry on.The system is definitely broken and I wouldn’t know how to start to fix it.
came here to say this, I would rather die than live in prison forever with no chance of parole/no visitors/luxuries etc. I also think (obviously this is not always) but many people who commit horrific crimes have actually had awful childhoods/been abused themselves, and it would actually be beneficial to society to study this and work out how to prevent these people from ending up as they do.

I’m not sure about the death penalty, on one hand I’d be worrying about wrong evidence on the other if my baby had been raped by the likes of Ian Watkins ...

• Sad
came here to say this, I would rather die than live in prison forever with no chance of parole/no visitors/luxuries etc. I also think (obviously this is not always) but many people who commit horrific crimes have actually had awful childhoods/been abused themselves, and it would actually be beneficial to society to study this and work out how to prevent these people from ending up as they do.
This is so tricky. Some children have a utterly unbearable childhood. For example the woman who killed the pregnant lady and cut her unborn child out of her stomach.

Imagine the life she would be living now if she had a nice normal child hood, it could have been world's apart, or she could have turned out the same.

Some people are that fucked up they do deserve to be shot on the spot.

But if anyone tried to hurt my babies, I'd be the one in jail.

Yes.
For the following:

rapists.
Child abusers.
Murderers.

But not like the ridiculous American system where people are on death row for 30 years on appeal. No. If someone is convicted of raping a child they should die there and then, the day of conviction.

You’re telling if if someone raped and tourted baby they should be allowed to live? No. Sorry but no.
Innocent people get convicted in error on a regular basis. You have to allow for appeals etc because of this. To execute on the day of conviction is an absolutely ludicrous suggestion.

On the other hand should our legal and prison systems carry on giving out soft sentences and all mod cons in cells or should we have sentences and prison conditions like other countries in the world

Reactions: 1
And where would you keep these individuals to test them?

Innocent people get convicted in error on a regular basis. You have to allow for appeals etc because of this. To execute on the day of conviction is an absolutel
Innocent people get convicted in error on a regular basis. You have to allow for appeals etc because of this. To execute on the day of conviction is an absolutely ludicrous suggestion.
Tell that to people who have been abused or who’s children have been raped & murdered and the sick fuckers who did it have been let off.

This is so tricky. Some children have a utterly unbearable childhood. For example the woman who killed the pregnant lady and cut her unborn child out of her stomach.

Imagine the life she would be living now if she had a nice normal child hood, it could have been world's apart, or she could have turned out the same.

Some people are that fucked up they do deserve to be shot on the spot.

But if anyone tried to hurt my babies, I'd be the one in jail.
plenty of people have childhoods that most likely most of us can’t begin to imagine but they don’t all end up cutting babies out of their mothers wombs while they are still alive

not that I’m saying you think it’s an excuse but some people do iyswim

Reactions: 3
Personally I don't believe in the death penalty at all. Yes, there are sick, sick individuals out there who do the most unthinkable things to other human beings, including children. I don't condone nor support them in anyway. But an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Let them suffer in prison. Life without parole. Not kept in general population to enjoy the company of others. Secluded, alone and left to reflect and (with any luck) remorse over their crimes.

Not only does the death penalty cost an absurd amount of money, there's always that chance that the person could be innocent. I'm glad to come from a place where the death penalty no longer exists. I am not glad however that more often than not, life doesn't mean life. 25 years with half served for good behaviour is not punishment in my eyes. I think there's many areas of our justice system that fail and the introduction of the death penalty wouldn't fix those issues. Our prisons are too soft, often people return time and time again as it gives them a better life than they have on the outside. This shouldn't be the case.

Reactions: 10
And where would you keep these individuals to test them?
keep them in prison obviously... you can have psycologists visit etc. I wouldn;t let them out obviously

Personally I don't believe in the death penalty at all. Yes, there are sick, sick individuals out there who do the most unthinkable things to other human beings, including children. I don't condone nor support them in anyway. But an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Let them suffer in prison. Life without parole. Not kept in general population to enjoy the company of others. Secluded, alone and left to reflect and (with any luck) remorse over their crimes.

Not only does the death penalty cost an absurd amount of money, there's always that chance that the person could be innocent. I'm glad to come from a place where the death penalty no longer exists. I am not glad however that more often than not, life doesn't mean life. 25 years with half served for good behaviour is not punishment in my eyes. I think there's many areas of our justice system that fail and the introduction of the death penalty wouldn't fix those issues. Our prisons are too soft, often people return time and time again as it gives them a better life than they have on the outside. This shouldn't be the case.
yeah I agree, I think (from friends of mine etc who support the death penalty) a lot of the support for it where it doesn;t exist is that life doesn't mean life at all in so many cases

Someone experiencing an awful childhood does not excuse them from being properly punished should they then go on to crime themselves.

the death penalty only costs what it does because of the ridiculous appeals process. Keeping someone on death row for 30 years while they appeal, all the while they are being fed, clothed, housed, given medical attention etc is an absolute insult to the victims of their crimes. Our prisons and our “justice” system is an absolute joke in the UK. Prison is like a holiday camp. Those that commit murder/rape/child abuse should either be killed or sent to a jail where they live in a cell alone with nothing in it. Let them rot.

Someone experiencing an awful childhood does not excuse them from being properly punished should they then go on to crime themselves.

the death penalty only costs what it does because of the ridiculous appeals process. Keeping someone on death row for 30 years while they appeal, all the while they are being fed, clothed, housed, given medical attention etc is an absolute insult to the victims of their crimes. Our prisons and our “justice” system is an absolute joke in the UK. Prison is like a holiday camp. Those that commit murder/rape/child abuse should either be killed or sent to a jail where they live in a cell alone with nothing in it. Let them rot.
Basic human rights provide us with a right to life - which is why the appeals process exists (in part anyway). I appreciate the lives of other people get taken, or ruined in the process of them committing their crime, but human rights still exist and therefore appeals have to happen.

I agree on your point about an awful childhood. Loads of us in society had awful things happen to us, doesn't mean we all go on to commit hideous crimes.

You are right. Prison needs to be stricter and more difficult.