The Death Penalty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I stand by what I said, I don’t think it’s suffering compared to how the victims of their crimes have suffered.
So blind revenge on your part; I find that a sad view to hold in this day and age; perhaps my views on taking life differ to yours because of 20 years in the army then 20 years nursing.

Reactions: 2
So blind revenge on your part; I find that a sad view to hold in this day and age; perhaps my views on taking life differ to yours because of 20 years in the army then 20 years nursing.
This is the most self righteous post I’ve ever read.
Prisons in the UK are, for the most part, a pretty easy place to be. Most offenders serving time do so in shared cells with access to television, games consoles, books, pool tables, exercise facilities, training facilities, communal areas with other prisoners and access to outside space. This set up is not a deterrent. Obviously there’s different levels of crime and some criminals benefit from training etc - some people can be rehabilitated and come out of the system better than they went in. But for the most serious of offenders who commit the most heinous, violent crimes why on earth should we as a society allow them to live a life of relative comfort? Ok maybe you don’t think the death penalty is appropriate but surely they should be locked in a cell, alone, for the rest of their life with no access to any luxury? It’s not about revenge it’s about punishing people for the crimes they commit.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This is the most self righteous post I’ve ever read.
Prisons in the UK are, for the most part, a pretty easy place to be. Most offenders serving time do so in shared cells with access to television, games consoles, books, pool tables, exercise facilities, training facilities, communal areas with other prisoners and access to outside space. This set up is not a deterrent. Obviously there’s different levels of crime and some criminals benefit from training etc - some people can be rehabilitated and come out of the system better than they went in. But for the most serious of offenders who commit the most heinous, violent crimes why on earth should we as a society allow them to live a life of relative comfort? Ok maybe you don’t think the death penalty is appropriate but surely they should be locked in a cell, alone, for the rest of their life with no access to any luxury? It’s not about revenge it’s about punishing people for the crimes they commit.
Thank you Betty, now off you toddle you have cookies to bake I'm sure.

Mod edit: This type of thread will always include posts that will not be agreed with by all. Do not argue with other posters - respectfully disagree, ignore a poster or move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone is entitled to their view on the subject without being demonised for it. It is a very divisive topic.

Reactions: 4
If I was the victim of Jimmy Saville and he wasn’t already dead - I would want him to die.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you Betty, now off you toddle you have cookies to bake I'm sure.

Mod edit: This type of thread will always include posts that will not be agreed with by all. Do not argue with other posters - respectfully disagree, ignore a poster or move on.
Not arguing, he or she was rude to me, and I hope she's had a public warning too. Many thanks for your understanding.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

Gandalf pretty much sums up what I think. Also it doesn't work as a deterrent, is expensive and you run the risk of an innocent person being executed. Also it is not applied fairly. If you have a good lawyer I bet you wouldn't face the death penalty. There is a reason why most of the people on death row in America are poor and lacked a good defence team.

There are many criminals who have committed horrific crimes and it's difficult not to want retribution. But I think the state should be operating on a higher level not bound by emotion and act in a way that's best for society. And in the reasons I gave above I don't think the death penalty is best for society.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
No.
Justice is not revenge. You wouldn’t steal from a thief, you wouldn’t rape a rapist & so on.
It cost so much more money to execute a prisoner than keep them in prison population for the rest of their life, we are talking millions. People sentenced to death have rights to appeal. Many death row inmates die from natural causes or suicide before they are executed as it usually takes around 20 odd years to finalise.
It doesn’t act as a deterrent
Somebody mentioned Ian Brady should have been executed. That would not be possible even in America. Anybody that is deemed criminally insane cannot ethically be executed. As he was detained under the MH act, the same rules apply for him.
I do agree our justice system needs to change. But how I do not know.
I think I heard something crazy like in China, if you do x amount of (any) crimes you get put for the firing squad. I’ll try and find it that is true. 🤔

Reactions: 3
When I read some posts on threads like this I'm genuinely amazed at the sort of country some people seem to want to live in.
Complaining that prisoners have a roof over their head, complaining that prisons have heating etc.

The prisoners living in the lap of luxury idea is the same as the prolific idea that people claiming benefits are also living in the lap of luxury - and at your expense too! The problem with these views is they aren't based on facts, but that doesn't seem to matter to the person holding it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
When I read some posts on threads like this I'm genuinely amazed at the sort of country some people seem to want to live in.
Complaining that prisoners have a roof over their head, complaining that prisons have heating etc.

The prisoners living in the lap of luxury idea is the same as the prolific idea that people claiming benefits are also living in the lap of luxury - and at your expense too! The problem with these views is they aren't based on facts, but that doesn't seem to matter to the person holding it.
Yes. You only get luxuries such as tv / PlayStation if you manage to get on enhanced status. Which is hard to get & can be taken away from you at the drop of a hat. Not to mention inmate hierarchy & gang warfare that goes on especially in cat A prisons. Our prisons are a lot more humane than other countries granted. But it doesn’t mean it’s a walk in the park.

Its worrying - verges on people dehumanising those in prison. The implications of no longer seeing these people as human or worthy of human rights is concerning.

Its worrying - verges on people dehumanising those in prison. The implications of no longer seeing these people as human or worthy of human rights is concerning.
It's incredibly concerning. The lack of understanding of basic human rights is extremely worrying!

Reactions: 2
It's incredibly concerning. The lack of understanding of basic human rights is extremely worrying!
Human rights for low level prisoners is one thing. As I said, some in prisons can be rehabilitated and come out of the system better than they went in. Low level, non violent criminals should be treated differently to others. No one is suggesting that the death penalty should be a blanket punishment for everyone in the prison system. You have to acknowledge though that some criminals cannot and will not ever be rehabilitated. The mind of a peadophile or serial killer is not the same as you or I. These dangerous individuals who have committed unspeakable acts of violence on innocent people should be severely punished for what they have done. I honestly find it unfathomable that people here honestly think a child rapist is deserving of anything other than the absolute basics.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Human rights for low level prisoners is one thing. As I said, some in prisons can be rehabilitated and come out of the system better than they went in. Low level, non violent criminals should be treated differently to others. No one is suggesting that the death penalty should be a blanket punishment for everyone in the prison system. You have to acknowledge though that some criminals cannot and will not ever be rehabilitated. The mind of a peadophile or serial killer is not the same as you or I. These dangerous individuals who have committed unspeakable acts of violence on innocent people should be severely punished for what they have done. I honestly find it unfathomable that people here honestly think a child rapist is deserving of anything other than the absolute basics.
I'm not disputing that there are some people who have committed horrific, unthinkable crimes - I also acknowledge that some of those people will have no remorse and no desire to be rehabilitated. However, I do not think that prison is as easy as some people on this thread have implied it is.

I am simply stating what the law is - human rights law does not alienate people based on their actions. Whether you think that is right is up to you, however the mere fact is human rights are inalienable. The law does not allow for human rights to be stripped away. You may find it unfathomable however that's the way it is. If the law were to allow human rights to be stripped from people for the most horrific crimes, it would bring us back, once again, to the argument that sometimes people get convicted of crimes when they are innocent. There is always the chance you may strip rights from an innocent person and that doesn't sit right with me.

I won't get into a discussion with you about it though - you have your view and I have mine and that's fine. I'm not going to start accusing you of being "unfathomable" even though I disagree.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There's been too many miscarriages of justice to have the death penalty. Look at Ruth Ellis - she was being abused physically and mentally - no way should she have been hanged.

I do think the justice system needs to be overhauled massively. Get rid of outdated laws and appoint judges and magistrates who live in the real world.

Reactions: 8