The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had no idea who the creator/writer was and didn't realise it would be so harsh on the royals. Was expecting something along the lines of the Helen mirren film. Didn't Diana herself say the queen was quite supportive?

All the cosmetic surgery, botox, new teeth, expensive couture outfits, priceless jewelry to give Camila a PR makeover and that could now be undone thanks to this 😆
I like Camilla. She's worth every penny. I didn't like Diana when she was alive and when she did that silly interview (which I remember watching when it originally aired) I thought she was a egotistical silly cow. Always too attention seeking and believed her own press.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
I would have liked to have seen more of the 70’s 3 day week, the Queen sitting in BP by candlelight during the power cuts.
The program didn’t cover the Brighton bombing or the miners strike. Huge national events of the 80’s.
And they portrayed Diana, the daughter of and Earl as someone who wouldn’t know her way around Society. That scene where they mocked her for not knowing who to curtsy too. Diana knew them, having been raised as a child at Park House on the Sandringham Estate. She and her brother played with Andrew and Edward as children. She also went to finishing school in Switzerland so all those lessons where her grandmother is barking at her like a victorian governess are bizarre!
From March-October 1964 the cast aged so much they were a complete new cast. That was crazy that we were expected to believe both Claire Foy and Olivia Coleman were portraying the same era and age just months apart. Yet from S3-4 1964-1990 they didn’t bother aging them. Would’ve made more sense to keep the first main cast for S3. Then Shifted up to middle age when S4 opened in 1979 with Olivia Coleman.

Reactions: 21
I would have liked to have seen more of the 70’s 3 day week, the Queen sitting in BP by candlelight during the power cuts.
The program didn’t cover the Brighton bombing or the miners strike. Huge national events of the 80’s.
And they portrayed Diana, the daughter of and Earl as someone who wouldn’t know her way around Society. That scene where they mocked her for not knowing who to curtsy too. Diana knew them, having been raised as a child at Park House on the Sandringham Estate. She and her brother played with Andrew and Edward as children. She also went to finishing school in Switzerland so all those lessons where her grandmother is barking at her like a victorian governess are bizarre!
From March-October 1964 the cast aged so much they were a complete new cast. That was crazy that we were expected to believe both Claire Foy and Olivia Coleman were portraying the same era and age just months apart. Yet from S3-4 1964-1990 they didn’t bother aging them. Would’ve made more sense to keep the first main cast for S3. Then Shifted up to middle age when S4 opened in 1979 with Olivia Coleman.
Great Post and loads of points. Series 3 & 4 are hugely disappointing. Considering the hoo hah around the casting & filming of the Charles & Diana years, it's a huge let down.

Reactions: 3
Watched the Margaret episode. Feels the same as the Fagan one in the sense that there was a whole episode dedicated to two characters when I didn’t think it needed to be?
Felt very disjointed, I very much doubt Margaret would have cared about them the way they have written her?

Reactions: 7
The worst thing about the crown series 4 was GILLIAN ANDERSON 😭 I said it before and I’ll say it again, she overacted.. I would say that it was similar to the spitting image portrayal but the spitting image portrayal had more nuance

Reactions: 13
We finished series 4 this afternoon and overall I have to say I really enjoyed it ! Series 3 fell a bit flat for me and I felt this was miles better , I enjoyed all of the Charles and Diana drama but I have to say I felt sometimes they focused on the wrong things / spent too much time on certain things .. for example as others have said no mention of Anne’s kidnapping , the Brighton bombing , the miners strikes etc , Andrew and Fergie , Anne’s marriage .. I enjoyed the fagan episode greatly but felt that it really didn’t need that much time taken on it .. and likewise with Margaret’s episode .. I think my favourite episode was the press war between thatcher and the queen over the sanctions on South Africa !

I think the casting was phenomenal and whilst I understand those who might not have enjoyed Gillian Anderson’s portrayal of thatcher I thought it was very good ! I think I might go back and rewatch series 1-2 now though !

All in all , despite how awful Charles came across to Diana , I really did feel for him in the end. He was desperately in love with a. Woman he couldn’t have and the fact they are married and still in love now really helped me with my sympathy towards him ..

Reactions: 6
thank you for the responses and explanations on thatcher.
i guess it makes more sense to me now why people are so divided about her

I’m half way through season 4, Charles and Diana are doing their tour of Australia/NZ.

I was 3 when Diana died so I can’t say I had an opinion on her in life, but am I meant to dislike Charles quite so much? Was he so disliked in life?

The Oh Dear’s did it for me 😂😂😂
Same! Had them stuck in my head for days and constantly laughing about the skit, too! Same with Thatcher's "No, I do not. I like shooting Argentinians." [the deliberate "do not" vs "don't" really had me] and Fagan's "Fatcher"! And Charles's "No! I don't want to marry you! I hate you! Yes!" oh and Andrew's "I don't sweat anymore!" Jeez clearly the whole thing did me in 😂 😂 😂 😂
"Oh dear" was really stuck in my head though!

• Haha
I'm just starting to watch it, well I'm about to start S2

I aren't a fan of the Royals, apart from Diana & Harry.
How much of what they show is true? In terms of the events.

It's making me dislike them more if anything

Reactions: 1
The worst thing about the crown series 4 was GILLIAN ANDERSON 😭 I said it before and I’ll say it again, she overacted.. I would say that it was similar to the spitting image portrayal but the spitting image portrayal had more nuance
More like a frog with a throat infection than Mrs. T.

Reactions: 1
Same! Had them stuck in my head for days and constantly laughing about the skit, too! Same with Thatcher's "No, I do not. I like shooting Argentinians." [the deliberate "do not" vs "don't" really had me] and Fagan's "Fatcher"! And Charles's "No! I don't want to marry you! I hate you! Yes!" oh and Andrew's "I don't sweat anymore!" Jeez clearly the whole thing did me in 😂 😂 😂 😂
"Oh dear" was really stuck in my head though!
My Christmas dresses are so nice but I’m ever so Christmas unhappy 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
As northerners, me and the husband were a bit shocked/disappointed that the miners strike was completely over looked. Such a big part of our history, and a really crucial part of thatchers time as PM!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
There were a few things over looked that should have been included. The miners strike, the Brighton bombing, the poll tax riots, and I‘d have liked an episode dedicated to the Falklands war. I suppose they can’t include everything though. I’m assuming series five will feature Tony Blair, I wonder who will play?

Reactions: 12
There were a few things over looked that should have been included. The miners strike, the Brighton bombing, the poll tax riots, and I‘d have liked an episode dedicated to the Falklands war. I suppose they can’t include everything though. I’m assuming series five will feature Tony Blair, I wonder who will play?
Hopefully Michael Sheen again.
Don’t know why but he (sheen) is like my weird man crush

I finished S4 last night and I enjoyed it in comparison to S3. I’m glad Olivia Colman will not be playing the Queen anymore and I’m looking forward to seeing Emma Corrin’s role as Diana develop in S5 (I presume she’s playing her in S5?). I know the actor who plays Charles isn’t doing S5 so we shall see.

I agree on the over emphasis on some topics made into full episodes e.g the palace break-in. They could have documented the Miners strikes and portray a Northern mining town akin to the Aberfan episode in S3. Although I’m aware the RF didn’t get involved in the Miners strike (correct me if I’m wrong although I did study politics at uni I should know this 😂).

I think I might re-watch S1 and 2 again as those were my favourite series so far.

I finished S4 last night and I enjoyed it in comparison to S3. I’m glad Olivia Colman will not be playing the Queen anymore and I’m looking forward to seeing Emma Corrin’s role as Diana develop in S5 (I presume she’s playing her in S5?). I know the actor who plays Charles isn’t doing S5 so we shall see.

I agree on the over emphasis on some topics made into full episodes e.g the palace break-in. They could have documented the Miners strikes and portray a Northern mining town akin to the Aberfan episode in S3. Although I’m aware the RF didn’t get involved in the Miners strike (correct me if I’m wrong although I did study politics at uni I should know this 😂).

I think I might re-watch S1 and 2 again as those were my favourite series so far.
Diana has been recast for S5. Elizabeth Debicki will be playing her.

• Sad