The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i am now almost done with season 4.. i have to say if i was watching this without any previous knowledge, i would prefer thatcher over the queen

Reactions: 4
Some years ago I was told that the Queen Mother was in fact a nasty old cow. Horrendously racist as well.

Reactions: 12
I’ve got so far as Fagan in the show. I have to say, I have no idea why that episode was dedicated to that one event? We had 2 minutes of Diana’s dress, 10 mins about the Falklands war but a whole episode for an intruder? Felt like the episode was from a totally different show.

Reactions: 17
i am now almost done with season 4.. i have to say if i was watching this without any previous knowledge, i would prefer thatcher over the queen
Really? May I ask why? I found the retelling of Thatcher’s attitude to South Africa quite uncomfortable.

Reactions: 3
Really? May I ask why? I found the retelling of Thatcher’s attitude to South Africa quite uncomfortable.
it's very difficult to explain 😂
i guess the fact that everyone was against her or at least they portrayed it that way plays a big part in it - once you see someone as a ''victim'', you are automatically on their side i guess. then there's the situation with the falklands, plus the fact that they showed everything as thatcher being a ''doer'' and getting stuff done basically, and the queen doing absolutely nothing
i am neither from the uk nor was i born during thatcher's rule but i can see myself agreeing with some of her opinions, principles and decisions
she does however seem to be the most hated british politician ever?

I’ve got so far as Fagan in the show. I have to say, I have no idea why that episode was dedicated to that one event? We had 2 minutes of Diana’s dress, 10 mins about the Falklands war but a whole episode for an intruder? Felt like the episode was from a totally different show.
It was definitely excessive, but it worked showing the absolute misery of the 80s for the working class compared to the Royals and how sheltered they are, with Fagan as the crossover between them. But the point was indeed laboured!

Reactions: 14
I had no idea who the creator/writer was and didn't realise it would be so harsh on the royals. Was expecting something along the lines of the Helen mirren film. Didn't Diana herself say the queen was quite supportive?

All the cosmetic surgery, botox, new teeth, expensive couture outfits, priceless jewelry to give Camila a PR makeover and that could now be undone thanks to this 😆

Reactions: 5
I had no idea who the creator/writer was and didn't realise it would be so harsh on the royals. Was expecting something along the lines of the Helen mirren film. Didn't Diana herself say the queen was quite supportive?
Yes, Peter Morgan was surprisingly kind to the royals in The Queen, it presented a very good perspective of the Queen and an understandable perspective.

I've not seen all of this series yet, but it does seem a bit more like it is taking sides and being harsher, but not in the right way, like there is too much artistic licence to twist the narrative slightly, but then all those little licences build up.

I’ve just finished season 4... I really enjoyed some episodes and found others harder to get through.

The Charles and Diana storyline captivated me. To see the way the unsuitable match gradually twisted Charles into such an unpleasant character. It was unpleasant to watch but equally I felt for him. He loved Camilla, always did, always would. There is something somewhat romantic in his devotion. He should have been allowed and encouraged to marry her to begin with.

Camilla... I was expecting to dislike her more than I actually did. She was very reasonable in some ways, understood the limits of their situation. Charles was the one spitting venom for Diana and it was an unpleasant watch.

I was too young to remember Diana, so I wasn’t sure of her mannerisms. I watched the real engagement interview, and while Emma Corrin was brilliant and near perfect, there were elements to her performance that read as almost cunning to me. A trait which I don’t think was present in real Diana, especially to begin with, in the early years. Real Diana was brimming with innocence and also ignorance. It’s tragic really, the whole mess.

I couldn’t stand Gillian Anderson as Thatcher. I had such high expectations and I thought she was rubbish. Over acted, like a charicature. I’m not really sure where they we’re going with that performance, it was ridiculous.

Olivia Coleman came into her own a little this series. Helena Bonham Carter was great, but I found the Margaret episode was a little boring!
Charles didn’t love Camilla though, not in a healthy sense.

The series portrayed her as a surrogate mummy figure. She filled the void left by his own mother with whom he lacked a more easy connection and bond.

that’s why it didn’t matter how beautiful or charming Diana was. She wasn’t able to provide that mother figure Charles desperately wanted.

being pushed further into the background by Diana’s popularity heightened Charles insecurity and made him seek refuge increasingly from Camilla.

If he had truly loved Camilla he’d have arguably married her from the outset, but more telling, he ignored her when she asked to be left alone. She didn’t want to be the villain or to be in competition with Diana.

Charles, in his selfishness, ignored that. his needs come before everyone else’s. Is that really love?

Didn't Diana herself say the queen was quite supportive?
nope. Diana didn’t criticise the queen per se but she mentioned in an interview that when she went to he queen for advice RE Charles, the queen was dismissive and simply said that Charles was hopeless. She refused to have any further involvement reading between the lines

• Sad
Reactions: 6
The thing is, it’s a tv show for entertainment, not a documentary to learn from. I’m not sure why so many people (if the Daily Mail is to be believed!) are upset at the storytelling being creative?

Reactions: 10
nope. Diana didn’t criticise the queen per se but she mentioned in an interview that when she went to he queen for advice RE Charles, the queen was dismissive and simply said that Charles was hopeless. She refused to have any further involvement reading between the lines
I've heard several other accounts that say something different. But I guess it's not mutually exclusive, she could have been supportive at times and dismissive at others.

It's all such bad timing with Charles likely to take over in a matter of years and one of the biggest media companies with one of their biggest shows knocks back decades of work to build up Charles and Camilla. But I'm enjoying the entertainment 🍿

• Haha
Reactions: 10
it's very difficult to explain 😂
i guess the fact that everyone was against her or at least they portrayed it that way plays a big part in it - once you see someone as a ''victim'', you are automatically on their side i guess. then there's the situation with the falklands, plus the fact that they showed everything as thatcher being a ''doer'' and getting stuff done basically, and the queen doing absolutely nothing
i am neither from the uk nor was i born during thatcher's rule but i can see myself agreeing with some of her opinions, principles and decisions
she does however seem to be the most hated british politician ever?
Interesting. She definitely is the most hated politician and I certainly dislike her, as I’m liberal, working class and everything she hated 😂 she had a ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ mentality which is all very well and good but not helpful when life’s chips are stacked against you. She seemed to completely ignore that.
Don’t say her name in the north of the country, either, she REALLY fucked them over 😂😂😂

Reactions: 9
I’ve just finished season 4... I really enjoyed some episodes and found others harder to get through.

The Charles and Diana storyline captivated me. To see the way the unsuitable match gradually twisted Charles into such an unpleasant character. It was unpleasant to watch but equally I felt for him. He loved Camilla, always did, always would. There is something somewhat romantic in his devotion. He should have been allowed and encouraged to marry her to begin with.

Camilla... I was expecting to dislike her more than I actually did. She was very reasonable in some ways, understood the limits of their situation. Charles was the one spitting venom for Diana and it was an unpleasant watch.

I was too young to remember Diana, so I wasn’t sure of her mannerisms. I watched the real engagement interview, and while Emma Corrin was brilliant and near perfect, there were elements to her performance that read as almost cunning to me. A trait which I don’t think was present in real Diana, especially to begin with, in the early years. Real Diana was brimming with innocence and also ignorance. It’s tragic really, the whole mess.

I couldn’t stand Gillian Anderson as Thatcher. I had such high expectations and I thought she was rubbish. Over acted, like a charicature. I’m not really sure where they we’re going with that performance, it was ridiculous.

Olivia Coleman came into her own a little this series. Helena Bonham Carter was great, but I found the Margaret episode was a little boring!
I finished S4 last night. It certainly wasn't the best season in my opinion, although better than S3 when I didn't even bother to finish. Some episodes were 'filler' episodes which is never good in a series of only 10 episode as it shows poor writing.

Did we really need an entire episode on the break in at the palace? No, it could have been a fleeting mention. Did we need so much of Thatcher? No. Although Thatcher was PM for almost 12 years but she didn't need to be such a full on entity in a show about the Queen.

I would have liked to have seen more of Fergie, she would have made for an interesting back storyline, and also Anne's children and marriage/marriage failure.

I have always had respect and had HUGE empathy for Charles putting duty over himself. He should have been allowed to marry Camilla. You only have to see how happy he has been since they got married to see how much he needed to be with her.

From what I have read previously and what was shown in this season was that Diana was incredibly naive and (IMO) remained so throughout her marriage. She made no effort to actually get to know her husband, the man at all. All the dancing, surly you'd have picked up that is wasn't his cup of tea? I don't know if she really make the opera video for their wedding anniversary but if she did it really was tone deaf on her part.

There was a comment that Anne made to the Queen that “Charles is older than his years and Diana is younger than hers, which makes it not an age gap but an age chasm.” Despite their similar aristocratic backgrounds “their personalities come from different planets.” - This is in my opinion was always the issue between them.

If you are fast forwarding through a 10 episode show the writers need to up their game massively.

Marks of 4/10 from me.

Interesting. She definitely is the most hated politician and I certainly Dislike her, as I’m liberal, working class and everything she hated 😂 she had a ‘pull yourself up by your bootstraps’ mentality which is all very well and good but not helpful when life’s chips are stacked against you. She seemed to completely ignore that.
Don’t say her name in the north of the country, either, she REALLY fucked them over 😂😂😂
Funny isn't it? She gutted the north of jobs and income and it really has never recovered. And yet, Thatcher and her policies made my dad very successful. We are southerners though and I think the south definitely did prosper massively because of her. I, myself am as liberal as they come but I know that my family made a lot of money because of her.

The Queen always seems very 'traditional' and I wonder what she really thought of Thatcher?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
It's time that the royal family were axed and their hundreds of millions of pound of income each year from assets that should belong to the people are ceased.

Reactions: 8
I'm on the intruder episode which is totally random for a whole episode and dull as..I'm fast forwarding most. 🙄
I didn't finish series 3 to be honest, it wasn't great at all. Unless this picks up, I'm not going to bother with this one much further either, it's piss poor compared to series 1&2. Too much Thatcher, all that drivel about when her stupid son went missing. 🙄
I agree, more on Fergie, Anne & family would have been far more interesting.

Reactions: 7
The thing is, it’s a tv show for entertainment, not a documentary to learn from. I’m not sure why so many people (if the Daily Mail is to be believed!) are upset at the storytelling being creative?
I think that's because there's loads of people who are thick enough to look upon the show as a documentary and have forgotten that it's a dramatisation. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 7