The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read ages ago that they would go only as far as ca. 2002, because they don't want to get involved with too modern days and because it's easier to work with hindsight and historic events that are more or less concluded (saying less because things about e.g. Diana are still coming out (Panormana/Bashir, anyone?) and other things will still come out about the past, as is usual, really).

Each series was supposed to be one decade, I was a bit surprised by the announcement of a 6th series, but I suppose covering ca. 1990 - 2002 will take quite a lot.

I think the idea that Olivia's Liz is "harder" due to age and experience than Claire's is a good theory, considering Liz apparently was never that warm to begin with and had more experience by the 1970s and 1980s. I think part of the dislike of series 3 portrayal of the queen is the shock in change.

Apparently the Wessexes were big fans when series one came out and watched it with Liz Saturday evenings at Windsor during their regular informal dinner. Not sure much beyond that has come out.
Blimey fancy watching with your mum while your parent's blow job was depicted on tv 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'm sad I've watched it all but in another sense one more episode of Margaret thatcher and id be launching something at my screen.
Charles annoyed me so bad making out Diana was bad when he was porking piggy (camilla) since he first laid eyes on her.
Best episode for me was HBC finding out about the special needs ladies who was in the family Nerissa and Katherine that tugged my heart strings a lot

Reactions: 7
Really didn't enjoy the hunting of the stag, however I think they were trying to represent what Charles Spencer said in his reading at Diana's funeral
"a girl given the name of the ancient goddess of hunting was, in the end, the most hunted person of modern age"

Reactions: 13
I’m not too keen on this latest season. They’ve missed out too much important stuff in my opinion. Princess Anne kidnapping, the Brighton bombing of the Tory government which (like them or not) was awful. Fergie and Andrew. It became the Diana show. As I said on the secret celeb gossip, she ruined many a life. Julie Carling to name 1. Yes Charles should have been allowed to marry Camilla in the first place, Margaret knew all about that too. But the show has made Charles the only bad guy which I feel isn’t fair

Reactions: 18
I’m not too keen on this latest season. They’ve missed out too much important stuff in my opinion. Princess Anne kidnapping, the Brighton bombing of the Tory government which (like them or not) was awful. Fergie and Andrew. It became the Diana show. As I said on the secret celeb gossip, she ruined many a life. Julie Carling to name 1. Yes Charles should have been allowed to marry Camilla in the first place, Margaret knew all about that too. But the show has made Charles the only bad guy which I feel isn’t fair
I guess the enjoyment of this series depends on people’s feelings about Diana. If you like Diana you will probably enjoy how much screen time the character gets. For me I was just waiting for those parts. But tbf they did show Diana to be a bit full of it sometimes, like the dance and the video for the anniversary so it wasn’t completely like they made her out to be a complete saint. I do think they should have included more of the overall history and Britain at that time. Instead of dedicating a whole ep to Margaret and Fagan they could’ve added more into those eps.

Reactions: 6
Just got up to the episode all about Margaret, found it a bit boring. Finding the Diana show a bit nauseating too. I don't think they're showing any of them in a good light, especially not the Queen.

I’m completely indifferent to Diana so my enjoyment isn’t based on that. She was there and it seemed to disrupt their family dynamic so why not show it. The actor playing Charles is good. It’s a shame they couldn’t marry who they wanted. Really caused a lot of unnecessary problems in several generations. Maybe those poor children wouldn’t have been locked up and declared dead. They are big into hunting so I think it’s great that it was shown and that it bothers people. It’s brutal because they are brutal. Definitely too much Thatcher/Gillian Anderson. The Fagan episode was too long and slow moving, though it was interesting and I didn’t know about him he could have had half an episode for that. I am enjoying the parts with Margaret. The Queen mother seems unrealistic from what I’ve heard about her. Still not really feeling this Queen. I just don’t feel like this season has what the first two had. There is something missing. It’s seems all over the place. I am no longer as excited about another season. Also not really feeling the whole royalty thing after watching this season tbh. I have two more left to go and I feel kind of 😑

From what's been said it's not that Charles and Camilla weren't allowed to marry. Charles never asked her and didn't seem to have the intention to (he might've later though) and Camilla had her eyes set on APB. Charles went into his military training with no promises or intention to marry her at the time and by the time he was done she was married to APB. Maybe at this point he would've considered marrying her, but supposedly she wasn't interested in the royal life and was dead set on APB. 🤷‍♀️

i am actually really enjoying this season, much more than season 3 which i didn't even finish 🤪
in love with emma corrin's performance

Reactions: 5
I'm sad I've watched it all but in another sense one more episode of Margaret thatcher and id be launching something at my screen.
Charles annoyed me so bad making out Diana was bad when he was porking piggy (camilla) since he first laid eyes on her.
Best episode for me was HBC finding out about the special needs ladies who was in the family Nerissa and Katherine that tugged my heart strings a lot
I know I am absolutely in the minority but I have always had a lot of compassion for Charles. He didn't want to marry Diana and did so basically because he was told to do so. Yes, of course he shouldn't have but he did so out of duty. Diana was not an angel at all and let's be honest as boring as a sloan ranger gets. She was just a virgin with the right background, her family were as bad as the RF for wanting the marriage. Sad but true.

i am actually really enjoying this season, much more than season 3 which i didn't even finish 🤪
It's not for me.. too much over doing the looking from under the lashes.

It's not for me.. too much over doing the looking from under the lashes.

Reactions: 8
I’ve just finished season 4... I really enjoyed some episodes and found others harder to get through.

The Charles and Diana storyline captivated me. To see the way the unsuitable match gradually twisted Charles into such an unpleasant character. It was unpleasant to watch but equally I felt for him. He loved Camilla, always did, always would. There is something somewhat romantic in his devotion. He should have been allowed and encouraged to marry her to begin with.

Camilla... I was expecting to dislike her more than I actually did. She was very reasonable in some ways, understood the limits of their situation. Charles was the one spitting venom for Diana and it was an unpleasant watch.

I was too young to remember Diana, so I wasn’t sure of her mannerisms. I watched the real engagement interview, and while Emma Corrin was brilliant and near perfect, there were elements to her performance that read as almost cunning to me. A trait which I don’t think was present in real Diana, especially to begin with, in the early years. Real Diana was brimming with innocence and also ignorance. It’s tragic really, the whole mess.

I couldn’t stand Gillian Anderson as Thatcher. I had such high expectations and I thought she was rubbish. Over acted, like a charicature. I’m not really sure where they we’re going with that performance, it was ridiculous.

Olivia Coleman came into her own a little this series. Helena Bonham Carter was great, but I found the Margaret episode was a little boring!

Reactions: 8
@Practically Perfect
Netflix shading Andrew made me literally go full on drag queen and say aloud (in a room on my own) " Oh the SHADE" - it was when Andrew was talking about the Koo Stark film and says something like 'A bunch of old grey haired pervs in a country manor initiating a young girl' ... I was waiting for the Eastenders duff duff duffs (or the Andrew actor turning to the camera and winking lol)

It was the queens comments about them all being lost in one way or another and saying’ “and as for Andrew...” 😂 I think that episode has been my favourite so far for being so darkly comic

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I was surprised they put that comment in by the Queen to Phillip about the ballerinas. They seemed to be a bit bolder in this series with things like that, similar to how they had to de-Camilla the house when Diana was due to go round - would he really have had photos of her by his bed?

I have one episode left. Overall I've enjoyed it but think they missed out too much of Anne, love the actress playing her. The intruder bit could have been shorter or even not included. Also the pacing was too weird, like someone said earlier they left us when Anne was seeing Andrew then all of a sudden she's married to someone else and on the brink of divorce.

I was surprised they put that comment in by the Queen to Phillip about the ballerinas. They seemed to be a bit bolder in this series with things like that, similar to how they had to de-Camilla the house when Diana was due to go round - would he really have had photos of her by his bed?

I have one episode left. Overall I've enjoyed it but think they missed out too much of Anne, love the actress playing her. The intruder bit could have been shorter or even not included. Also the pacing was too weird, like someone said earlier they left us when Anne was seeing Andrew then all of a sudden she's married to someone else and on the brink of divorce.
I was surprised by the ballerina comment, too!
The shade with Andy was great though! Loved that.

I think the Highgrove bit is one of the things in the series that is steeped in truth, but interpreted by the production their way.

I have read that Diana was, as said in the series, a "townie" and didn't like spending time at Highgrove. The more their marriage fell apart, the less time she spent there. Which in turn meant that Camilla spent more time there (never at KP though). Allegedly Camilla would play Lady of the Manor and rearrange furniture and stuff like that, so when Diana came to Highgrove, staff had to move the furniture back, but that didn't always work out and was a giveaway to D that Camilla had been there.

Generally I like shorter series but with good storytelling, however, the Crown (especially as they creep more into the future) would benefit from more episodes to tell all the stories (to do them just a bit of justice).

Reactions: 6
That was something else that was odd. They make a point of diana saying shes a country girl and that's how she bonded with prince Philip. Then from then onwards she only calls herself a townie

Reactions: 5
That was something else that was odd. They make a point of diana saying shes a country girl and that's how she bonded with prince Philip. Then from then onwards she only calls herself a townie
I think Diana knew which buttons to press to win favour, she had a sense of how much influence Philip has in the family. I think their conversation in the last episode was quite sad... I think before that, he was rooting for her more than she realised. But she seemed to have made an enemy of him in that short conversation.

As onmylunchbreak wrote above.
She was struck as young woman by Charles and wanted to fit in and played the country girl. I don't know and won't lean into commenting in how far she maybe was a countrygirl at that point or in how far she phonied it in, that is impossible to tell. She may have grown fonder of the city with age, no clue. But she definitely also knew how to fit in, as far as that was possible with the Windsors.

I think Diana knew which buttons to press to win favour, she had a sense of how much influence Philip has in the family. I think their conversation in the last episode was quite sad... I think before that, he was rooting for her more than she realised. But she seemed to have made an enemy of him in that short conversation.
Indeed. Philip was actually on her side for many years and longer than most would think.

"Allegedly, in a letter written in 1992 after the couple's separation, Philip expressed to Diana how both him and the Queen were extremely disapproving of his son's love life. It is claimed he wrote: "Charles was silly to risk everything with Camilla for a man in his position. We never dreamed he might feel like leaving you for her. I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind leaving you for Camilla. Such a prospect never even entered our heads. "It was signed off with "with fondest love, Pa." "

I have also read that there are letters between Charles and Diana which will prove they had happy times and did love one another, but they will be published like all royal stuff after a set amount of years depending on topic, people involved and how much time has passed since the death of at least one of the two parties.

Reactions: 1