The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really hope they keep it tasteful with the crash. I really didn’t like the Aberfan episode because it showed what happened inside the classroom. Sometimes its more effective if you don’t see everything. I think it would be awful if we see a scene such a Di trapped in the car.

Reactions: 6
I thought it might be effective showing Robin Cook get the call to say Diana was dead then calling Prince Charles. I don’t see any benefit in seeing a crash but maybe that’s why I’m not a producer.

Reactions: 2
The girl playing Diana is far to slender.

Diana wasn't big but she has a stronger frame than this actress

Reactions: 1
I really hope they keep it tasteful with the crash. I really didn’t like the Aberfan episode because it showed what happened inside the classroom. Sometimes its more effective if you don’t see everything. I think it would be awful if we see a scene such a Di trapped in the car.
Yeah I had the same feeling with the Romanov’s this series, it made me feel a bit ill actually.

Reactions: 4
I’m annoyed they picked the actress who plays Princess Anne this series because she looks nothing like Anne and whenever she comes on screen she just reminds me of Margaret. I think she would have been excellent in the second phase of the show as Margaret instead of the awful Helena BC.
I think they have done well with picking the actresses for Diana, though when the current one gets a bit animated she loses the typical Diana voice, if that makes sense.
The Queen mother looks nothing like the Queen Mother did, I feel like she’s an older lady who got lost one day and they just cast her. The Queen, Margaret and Philip are ok as is Charles and Andrew (only on episode 4 yet so haven’t seen the others) just wish they worked on their accents and mannerisms because it’s just like they are playing themselves. I don’t remember John Major as PM but I enjoyed his appearance in the show.
I really liked the Mohammed Al Fayed and Sydney Johnson episode. I didn’t enjoy the episode last time which focused on another character apart from the Royals (the man who broke into the Queen’s bedroom) but this episode was really heartfelt and I enjoyed the return of The Duke of Windsor giving fashion advice!
The writers seem to be a bit more bold with showing the Royals behaving in a bad light (like demanding the public pay for the refurb of the boat, again only 4 episodes in) and I’m not sure if it’s because the Royals weren’t well liked back then so they are taking inspiration from that or if it’s because that’s how the creators really feel but it feels refreshing to watch something today that isn’t sycophantic about the family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I’m about finished with episode 4 now and honestly I’m not loving this series like previous ones. It seems.. disjointed almost, it sort of keeps ping ponging about.
and who let Umbridge and Skinnnerrrrrrrr (Hot Fuzz) in?! 😂

Reactions: 8
I’m about finished with episode 4 now and honestly I’m not loving this series like previous ones. It seems.. disjointed almost, it sort of keeps ping ponging about.
and who let Umbridge and Skinnnerrrrrrrr (Hot Fuzz) in?! 😂
I think as well because this one is a lot closer to living memory it’s easier to pick things apart. Tony Blair isn’t remotely Tony Blair (we just finished it tonight) either!

Reactions: 6
Even though I was pre-warned on this thread about episode 6, the portrayal of the murder of the Romanovs still hit me quite hard. I ended up with tears running down my face for a second night running with the Crown (different sort of tears this time).

Reactions: 3
I thought it was weird they dedicated a whole episode to Mohammed Fayed. I enjoyed it all the same, but still a weird choice.

Surprised they are going to show the car crash. I was picturing season 6 opening on the Queen being told the news, boom, opening credits.

I thought it was weird they dedicated a whole episode to Mohammed Fayed. I enjoyed it all the same, but still a weird choice.

Surprised they are going to show the car crash. I was picturing season 6 opening on the Queen being told the news, boom, opening credits.
I think (and hope) they just show the car entering the tunnel at high speed and leave the rest up to our imagination. Reading the events of the night and what happened it was quite traumatic so I don’t think it would do well to show it

Even though I was pre-warned on this thread about episode 6, the portrayal of the murder of the Romanovs still hit me quite hard. I ended up with tears running down my face for a second night running with the Crown (different sort of tears this time).
I’ve just looked up the murder and it seems the most realistic portrayal of events that I’ve seen. I’m glad they didn’t show the doggetting hurt.
The thing is that whole family would have been saved if George V didn’t change his mind about them coming to stay here. He was more concerned about his own throne and position than saving the lives of 11 people.

(Some lighthearted news is that Alexei’s dog, Joy, who was quiet and had a habit of running away wasn’t around when the murders happened. Mikhail Letyomin, a Red army officer, took pity on the dog and adopted him. When the White Army took over the city, Pavel Rodzyanko, a White Army officer recognised Joy as he knew the family well. He took Joy to the U.K. and presented him to George V. Joy lived a long life with either George V or Pavel (accounts vary, Pavel moved to England and lived near by) and was buried in the animal cemetery at Sefton Law which was by Windsor Castle.
Unfortunately the cemetery was destroyed and turned into a car park.)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Just finished it all. I was a kid in the 90s so forgive me but who gives a duck about Mohammed Al fayed and why was there a whole episode dedicated to him

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Just finished it all. I was a kid in the 90s so forgive me but who gives a duck about Mohammed Al fayed and why was there a whole episode dedicated to him
I didn't mind the introductions of the Al Fayed's but I wish they would have included Dodi a bit more rather than focus on Mohammed. Hopefully Mohammed's characters disappears in the next season and we see more of Dodi.

I think it was to show how desperate he was to be accepted by the establishment and how he just wasn't, no matter how much money he had. It may also be setting the scene for the aftermath of Diana and Dodis deaths, when he completely turned against the Royals and started saying Prince Philip murdered them. I think it was a really interesting episode, and a comment on how desperate some people are be accepted by people they see as above them, to the point they will excuse any poor behaviour on their behalf. It also introduced Sidney Johnson, who I had never heard of but was a really interesting man.

Reactions: 19
I can see the logic behind the fayed episode, but it was a little boring and killed the flow of the series. I don't think it was worth losing out on other royal stories on. It could have been covered in an episode next series when he turns on the family (he wasn't exactly an angel either, plus there was no real reason he would be welcomed into the fold as just another rich businessman, the whole point is money shouldn't buy you access ).

Reactions: 5
I didn't mind the introductions of the Al Fayed's but I wish they would have included Dodi a bit more rather than focus on Mohammed. Hopefully Mohammed's characters disappears in the next season and we see more of Dodi.
Unless they brought him in because he will feature more in series 6?

Reactions: 3