The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even taking into account Prince Phillip’s apparent charisma and obvious power and status, I can’t see how Penny could be attracted to a man so very much older than her who wasn’t exactly a silver fox.

Reactions: 4
Even taking into account Prince Phillip’s apparent charisma and obvious power and status, I can’t see how Penny could be attracted to a man so very much older than her who wasn’t exactly a silver fox.
Could have been an emotional affair rather than physical. It's a very odd situation for him in fairness, being married to a monarch.

Reactions: 6
Why were the public falling over themselves fawning over Diana but Kate Middleton gets a much more muted response nowadays? Have times changed so much?
The fawning comes from the fact that she never really got to see her sons grow up, as much as we lost a potential Queen. I think the tragic death and funeral changed perceptions of Diana. People didn't see her as a 'royal', but a relatively young mother, with two small children who had been wronged by her then-husband and ultimately failed by the institution. I still remember where I was when she died, and the days leading up to the funeral just left me quite numb. A surreal experience which could never be replicated in this 24-hour news era, where airtime is granted to just about anyone, and queue jumping TV presenters pay respects by commodifying it.

Diana was a very smart lady by all accounts. She was graceful and charming, but she knew how to court attention and was tougher than she led on (ask Lisa Carling). The Panorama interview was seen by some as a cry for help, but not everyone felt she did the right thing by airing the royal family's dirty laundry. That said, the public did sympathise with her and the interview was groundbreaking stuff, what royal family member shared their grievances with the institution? Meghan tried to replicate the formula with Oprah but the difference is 1) Meghan has no core beliefs - she is a prime example of someone following the money, and 2) people recognise Diana for years tried to make the marriage work (and there is evidence for that, see the tapes), she woke up every day, got dressed and did what was asked. Diana needed a decade before it was clear she 'antagonised' the royals, with Meghan it was 10 months.

The other interesting thing to note about Panorama was the underhand tactics that Bashir used to obtain the interview. The BBC held an internal probe in 1996 but for some reason it found nothing, so it was a shame it wasn't until Diana died that the truth came out. Yet that was the tip of the iceberg, a lot of journalists particularly on the royal beat made a name of themselves doing wicked things. There has been a lot of stone throwing at glass houses over the incident by the tabloids.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
The fawning comes from the fact that she never really got to see her sons grow up, as much as we lost a potential Queen. I think the tragic death and funeral changed perceptions of Diana. People didn't see her as a 'royal', but a relatively young mother, with two small children who had been wronged by her then-husband and ultimately failed by the institution. I still remember where I was when she died, and the days leading up to the funeral just left me quite numb. A surreal experience which could never be replicated in this 24-hour news era, where airtime is granted to just about anyone, and queue jumping TV presenters pay respects by commodifying it.

Diana was a very smart lady by all accounts. She was graceful and charming, but she knew how to court attention and was tougher than she led on (ask Lisa Carling). The Panorama interview was seen by some as a cry for help, but not everyone felt she did the right thing by airing the royal family's dirty laundry. That said, the public did sympathise with her and the interview was groundbreaking stuff, what royal family member shared their grievances with the institution? Meghan tried to replicate the formula with Oprah but the difference is 1) Meghan has no core beliefs - she is a prime example of someone following the money, and 2) people recognise Diana for years tried to make the marriage work (and there is evidence for that, see the tapes), she woke up every day, got dressed and did what was asked. Diana needed a decade before it was clear she 'antagonised' the royals, with Meghan it was 10 months.

The other interesting thing to note about Panorama was the underhand tactics that Bashir used to obtain the interview. The BBC held an internal probe in 1996 but for some reason it found nothing, so it was a shame it wasn't until Diana died that the truth came out. Yet that was the tip of the iceberg, a lot of journalists particularly on the royal beat made a name of themselves doing wicked things. There has been a lot of stone throwing at glass houses over the incident by the tabloids.
Another reason why the Megan Oprah interview IMO didn’t work compared to Diana is she’s approaching 40 and Diana was 19 when she joined the royal family so the naivety aspect isn’t there with Megan. Also, Diana didn’t pretend she didn’t know what a life in the royal family meant, she wanted to perform her duty for the country whereas Megan acted as though she had no idea what the expectations would be.

Reactions: 18
He was in his 50's when their ' friendship' began. I think her ex husband was a bit of a dick and eventually buggered off with another woman.

Reactions: 5
Not me learning in the year of our good lord 2022 that Martin Bashir lied to Diana. Poor woman, that paranoia made her an easy prey.

I was really looking forward to see some Fergie, she's such a character. This whole season was a letdown, except for the Al Fayed's episode.

Reactions: 8
We’ve been binging this weekend - the start of the Russian episode is brutal and I found very hard to watch.
Diana is very well cast.
Unfortunately I can’t see Imelda Staunton as anyone other than Umbridge, and I found Jonathan Pryce’s mannerisms and stature well done but voice wise not a patch on the previous too.

Dominic West was a lot better than I expected.

Al Fayed was great - really loved the Mou Mou episode.
YESSSSSSSS Umbridge!!!!....that's all I see as well.

No one has nailed the accent like Claire Foy but at least Olivia Coleman tried. Staunton just sounds like herself, and aside from Diana, they all do?! Don’t get it

Reactions: 12
I thought Camilla was good casting, as was Charles Spencer. The spin doctor aspect was good. John M was portrayed very sympathetically. Wonder how Tony B will be portrayed. I have read Charkes and Di were almost amicable in the end. He did insist on travelling to France when she died

I always found it strange that when Prince Philip retired from public life he upped sticks and went to live in a cottage on the Sandringham estate with Penny. How could this not be odd when the Queen was alone in London and Windsor? One thread through the Crown is how being Royal can be lonely. I never bought into ‘she’s back in the arms of her beloved Philip’ when she died, just sadly thinking he’s done her dirty.
Penny of course was the non family member at his funeral and his will is sealed for a 100 years so we don’t see how much was left to her, I guess.

Reactions: 20
Penny of course was the non family member at his funeral and his will is sealed for a 100 years so we don’t see how much was left to her, I guess.
Yes, I think she was brought into the fold just as other Royal mistresses were. The aristos have always done this. The outrage is running off with one of them or not being discreet. Agree that if The Queen was OK with it, then nobody cares. It's funny all the Royal arselickers like Ingrid Seward and Hugo Vickers tying themselves in knots to tell the plebs that he was a faithful husband when they have no idea. Probably because their adulation is not reciprocated and they are not as ' in the fold' as they want to be.

I always found it strange that when Prince Philip retired from public life he upped sticks and went to live in a cottage on the Sandringham estate with Penny. How could this not be odd when the Queen was alone in London and Windsor? One thread through the Crown is how being Royal can be lonely. I never bought into ‘she’s back in the arms of her beloved Philip’ when she died, just sadly thinking he’s done her dirty.
Where did you hear that he lived with Penny? I highly doubt that.

I saw Penny and her husband at Broadlands many years ago. They were talking to an estate worker and she seemed to be the one directing proceedings. Very attractive woman.

On the same visit I had the misfortune to also see India (Mountbatten’s granddaughter). Spoilt brat and extremely rude to visitors’ bearing in mind the entrance fees helped maintain where she lived. 💅🏻

Reactions: 2
I spend a lot of time on google while watching The Crown trying to work out how everyone links and sometimes who they actually are. Penelope Knatchbull seems a fascinating character. Daughter of a self-made Butcher turned business man. She was educated in Switzerland then had a decent degree. Sad loss of her daughter but looks like she ran their estate on her own.

Reactions: 9
Just finished watching season 5… I honestly thought it was quite boring bar a few episodes! I really wanted to see more drama considering the 90s for The Royal Family was full of it! And I feel they glossed over a lot of really pivotal storylines and concentrated too much on one’s that weren’t as interesting. The Panorama episode was really good! But also made me so angry knowing that this is what actually happened for the most part in real life. The Camillagate episode was okay I suppose but I didn’t really enjoy it. I really wanted to see more of Diana and Charles and the breakdown of their marriage at the end, I feel like they skipped a lot of it. The Sydney Johnson episode was so sad! I also really enjoyed it even if it was a bit random. The actress who played Diana was amazing! But I felt really disconnect from The Queen, I felt she was a lot more weak and didn’t have as much fire as she did when she was younger in the series. She seemed to just let things happen and was so out of touch! But maybe that was the whole point. The Penny (was that her name?) storyline with The Duke was sweet at first then got a bit weird.

I take it season 6 will be Diana’s death and the aftermath? I thought season 5 was going to show that but obviously not. So it was a bit anticlimactic for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Even though I'd have liked less Charles and Diana, I was surprised considering the focus on them there was no covering of the infamous taj mahal trip, or south Korea trip/photo when it was obvious the marriage had broken down and it was splattered all over front pages.

There have just been some odd creative decisions taken since not including Anne's kidnapping in season 3.

Reactions: 11
Just finished watching season 5… I honestly thought it was quite boring bar a few episodes! I really wanted to see more drama considering the 90s for The Royal Family was full of it! And I feel they glossed over a lot of really pivotal storylines and concentrated too much on one’s that weren’t as interesting. The Panorama episode was really good! But also made me so angry knowing that this is what actually happened for the most part in real life. The Camillagate episode was okay I suppose but I didn’t really enjoy it. I really wanted to see more of Diana and Charles and the breakdown of their marriage at the end, I feel like they skipped a lot of it. The Sydney Johnson episode was so sad! I also really enjoyed it even if it was a bit random. The actress who played Diana was amazing! But I felt really disconnect from The Queen, I felt she was a lot more weak and didn’t have as much fire as she did when she was younger in the series. She seemed to just let things happen and was so out of touch! But maybe that was the whole point. The Penny (was that her name?) storyline with The Duke was sweet at first then got a bit weird.

I take it season 6 will be Diana’s death and the aftermath? I thought season 5 was going to show that but obviously not. So it was a bit anticlimactic for me.
I suspect they'll start Season 6 with Diana's funeral or shortly after. It would be a real can of worms to cover the accident itself

I suspect they'll start Season 6 with Diana's funeral or shortly after. It would be a real can of worms to cover the accident itself
They've been filming the accident in Paris, including the car driving along and the tunnel. So I'd say it will be covered in some form