The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
PR for King Charles? Thats the vibe I'm getting.
Unlikely, the creators and Netflix themselves aren't royalists. I'd say its more likely writers fatigue, like what happened with Game of Thrones

Reactions: 4
Just finished it, didn’t enjoy it as much as previous seasons, I’m nearly 50 so remember all of it, watched Diana’s interview in my room at uni !

oh i'm watching episode 4 and crying on and off... 😅 the margaret/peter story really gets me. loved seeing clips from season 1/2 of them

Reactions: 9
Did it hint at Phillips possible relationship with Penny?
Philip grabbed her hands in the carriage riding scene. Plus it was heavily, heavily implied when he was speaking to the Queen about finding companionship outside the marriage. With Penny still alive, I can’t imagine they can say much else.

Reactions: 6
I think the casting is decent - Diana is great; it’s easy to forget just how pronounced her mannerisms were.

The Queen is also OK, they needed to get her ways as opposed to doing an impression. It’s Phillip I don’t like, coming across as some sort of kindly old benefactor with massive eyebrows.

To me, the actress portraying Anne looks the spit of the actress that used to play Margaret when she was young?
The period between about 1991 and the Golden jubilee was tricky for the Royals. Phillip was a frequent source of ridicule in the tabloids for his gaffs and the Queen was seen as aloof.

Just watching now.. in all honesty I’ve never really bought into the Diana hype, she seemed (to me, born in ‘93) self obsessed, false and just as bad as Charles for affairs. The whole obsessive praise for her to this day (generally, not on here particularly) is odd. That being said, while they seem to be glossing over her affairs, they do seem to be going hard on her being shortsighted rather than self serving, and emotional rather than calculating, which is interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just watching now.. in all honesty I’ve never really bought into the Diana hype, she seemed (to me, born in ‘93) self obsessed, false and just as bad as Charles for affairs. The whole obsessive praise for her to this day (generally, not on here particularly) is odd. That being said, while they seem to be glossing over her affairs, they do seem to be going hard on her being shortsighted rather than self serving, and emotional rather than calculating, which is interesting.
I'm a 95 baby, so I don't have the affection for her. And agree, yes, Charles had plenty of faults, but so did Diana. They were in some ways as bad as each other.

I really think the cast has been best by people I didn’t know (Clare Foy, Josh O’Conner, Princes Anne series3&4) People I know Jonathan Pryce, Imelda Staunton, Olivia Colman, Dominic West) not so much, it’s like they’ve been stunt cast. Surprised by Dominic West as I thought he’d have got Charlie’s voice, mannerisms much better than he has.

Reactions: 8
I'm a 95 baby, so I don't have the affection for her. And agree, yes, Charles had plenty of faults, but so did Diana. They were in some ways as bad as each other.
I agree. Ultimately I think they both suffered because they just weren’t a match. They were not compatible in any way shape or form and him being in love with someone else meant they were doomed from the beginning. I did feel more pity for her given she’s was only 19 when they got engaged and she was blatantly infatuated. We’ve all been in love with someone who didn’t care for us and I think that’s why a lot of people relate to her 😔 on the other hand Charles felt immense pressure to live up to his parents relationship, to choose a queen and tried to put the crown first and failed.

• Heart

I agree. Ultimately I think they both suffered because they just weren’t a match. They were not compatible in any way shape or form and him being in love with someone else meant they were doomed from the beginning. I did feel more pity for her given she’s was only 19 when they got engaged and she was blatantly infatuated. We’ve all been in love with someone who didn’t care for us and I think that’s why a lot of people relate to her 😔 on the other hand Charles felt immense pressure to live up to his parents relationship, to choose a queen and tried to put the crown first and failed.
definitely agree with both of you, altho not quite with the infatuation thought (more on that later 😂). I think Diana got away with much more because she was beautiful and charismatic and spoke sweetly and had the doe eyes down, whereas Charles simply isn’t a performer in the same way.. or in any way really.
I don’t even believe she loved Charles At the beginning. I think she was a daft 19 year old who was swept away by the idea of it; of being a princess and being so mega rich and being known and loved world over. She just didn’t stop to think about the negatives such a life would bring, she just wanted that attention and adoration, evidence of which can be seen imo in her later behaviour. She wanted the world’s public to love and admire her. He could’ve been anyone at all, within reason, and she’d have still married him for the life she thought she wanted.

I don’t even believe she loved Charles At the beginning. I think she was a daft 19 year old who was swept away by the idea of it; of being a princess and being so mega rich and being known and loved world over.
I completely agree with this. It was a complete infatuation with being married to the Future King, rather than 'love'. They had met about 5 or 6 times by the time they got engaged, so how did she think they were 'in love'? But I would cut her some slack, because she had had a childhood where she had been removed from her mother, was an unwanted 3rd girl and was basically part of a medieval system that used daughters as fodder for climbing up the ladder, by throwing them in the way of people higher up the social ladder for the benefit of the family.

Reactions: 13
There are people who’ve accused the show of being anti Di or anti Charles. But I think the show has been quite balanced overall and shows the faults on both sides.

Di was only 19, although she wasn’t some random girl on the street. She knew very well what royal life would be like and yet she went for it anyway. The show definitely hints at a personality disorder. Her main complaints seem to be feeling abandoned and alone and increasingly doing crazy things to get attention - the musical video, throwing herself down the stairs. I also hated how she leaned on William.

Charles was in love with someone else and Di was never going to be right for him. But he is shown to be cruel and distant and definitely could have dealt with things much better.

BTW - I’m talking about the characters in the Crown, not the real life people. I think it’s important to make a distinction because we’ll never really know what went on.

Also, anyone else finished the series and kind of missing John Major? I’d never vote Tory, I just wish we had someone boring and dependable as PM again.

Reactions: 12
I’m a 70’s baby, I remember the wedding, all the fairy tale stuff, I remember how obsessed the press were with her. Diana was everywhere in the 80’s. At brownies we knit booties for when William was born and got a letter from the palace !!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I finished the new series last night. I was only a young child at the time (89 baby) but I do remember a lot of the tabloids and news stories of that time so it was interesting to see it all play out now as an adult. I do feel there has been a decline in quality but I still rather enjoyed it - series 1&2 were my favourites and I love Claire Foy and Matt Smith’s portrayals. I also really liked Josh O’Connor and Erin Doherty’s versions of Anne and Charles from 3 & 4.

I really enjoyed the Al Fayed episode and the one about the Romanovs.

I've just got to see the Queen Mother for the 1st significant time. I see what you all mean, AWFUL casting. Al Fayed is good isn't he!

Reactions: 15
We’ve been binging this weekend - the start of the Russian episode is brutal and I found very hard to watch.
Diana is very well cast.
Unfortunately I can’t see Imelda Staunton as anyone other than Umbridge, and I found Jonathan Pryce’s mannerisms and stature well done but voice wise not a patch on the previous too.

Dominic West was a lot better than I expected.

Al Fayed was great - really loved the Mou Mou episode.

i wish they’d somehow just put josh o’connor in aged up makeup 🤣 he was the perfect charles and i’m missing his portrayal massively.

i’m only halfway through but have to say that i really enjoyed the al fayed episode too, though i so get the annoyance that it took the place of other potential storylines. their choices sometimes are strange, i’m still confused as to why they didn’t include anne’s kidnap attempt in the last series!

Reactions: 18