The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The casting is off. The Diana actress slightly edges froward as the best of a bad bunch.

Reactions: 5
I thought the season would end with Diana dying. I thought I saw photos of them filming but must have imagined it. I guess that’s for the next season.

I wonder if they’d planned to do more Andy/Fergie, but thought it was risky in case the controversy got worse, so they stuck the Al Fayeds in as characters instead.

Reactions: 6
Just been watching The Queen movie, thought it was a good continuation from Season 5.

Helen Mirren is a much better Queen than Staunton and Michael Sheen as Tony Blair, is excellent.

Reactions: 2
I have only watched episodes 1 and 2 of the latest season of The Crown but I am not impressed. It has failed to keep my interest. The actress playing Diana is overdoing the puppy dog eyes and is portraying her as a complete moaning dipstick. As others have mentioned Dominic West is far too masculine and attractive to play Charles. I'm not bothered about Imelda Staunton one way or another - Claire Foy has taken the crown for playing the Queen. Pitch perfect in every way. No one so far can do Elizabeth 11 as an older woman - Helen Mirren was the closest in another production.
I think anyone who lived through the early 90s as an adult will be irritated and bored by this production but from what I am hearing, the younger generation are enjoying it. They are not as close to the realities of the situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree actually. I remember this period well and it was a very, very rocky time for the monarchy. Barely a day would go by without them being on the front pages for some misdemeanour, be it Charles and Diana‘s leaked phone calls, their mud slinging at each other, Diana’s panorama interview and Fergie having her toe sucked by the swimming pool.

They were deeply unpopular as an institution and their marriage woes made them look all like hypocrites. The Queen was a cold, remote and distant figure and when Windsor Castle burned down there was a huge outcry when it became clear that the public were expected to pay for repairs. She eventually backed down from that but there was genuine talk of us becoming a republic in the media, it was even debated on prime time TV. I think if you had a time machine and went back to then and told people there would still be a monarchy in thirty years time they’d probably laugh at you. That’s how bad things were. From what I’ve seen so far series 5 almost glosses over all of that. It should have been so juicy but isn’t if that makes sense and I certainly don’t understand why a whole episode was decimated to bleeping Mohammed Al Fayed?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I have only watched episodes 1 and 2 of the latest season of The Crown but I am not impressed. It has failed to keep my interest. The actress playing Diana is overdoing the puppy dog eyes and is portraying her as a complete moaning dipstick. As others have mentioned Dominic West is far too masculine and attractive to play Charles. I'm not bothered about Imelda Staunton one way or another - Claire Foy has taken the crown for playing the Queen. Pitch perfect in every way. No one so far can do Elizabeth 11 as an older woman - Helen Mirren was the closest in another production.
I think anyone who lived through the early 90s as an adult will be irritated and bored by this production but from what I am hearing, the younger generation are enjoying it. They are not as close to the realities of the situation.

I think you hit the nail on the head with living through it in the 90s. I feel the same, I was 20 when Diana died and still remember it vividly now. The young uns will love it as it's more of a soap opera.

Reactions: 5
I’m loving this series so far, I hated last series and Olivia Coleman’s Queen. I watched Ep 5 last night and thought it really good. Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret knocks Helena B C out of the park. I could believe it was the older Margaret and Peter Townsend meeting up again. Loved it
I've just watched episode 3 and I'm quite enjoying it so far Even though Episide 3 was a bit weirdly only concentrated on Mohammed Al Fayed I found it quire interesting, with quite interesting characters, including Stanley Johnson I remember Mohammed Al Fayed and his obsession with the British establishment at the time, and his desperation for a British passport. I remember him going mocked for it in the press at the time. It also sheds a bit of light on his behaviour after Dodi and Diana died. I tried to Google to find out if the Royals really did take all their stuff back from the house, but couldn't find anything.

Reactions: 4
ooh didn't know there was a crown thread! finished it thursday night, enjoyed it although the tampongate episode felt very weird. they finally went there with the cringe and gory details but then the episode finished on what felt like an undeclared ad for the princes trust? i know they wanted and needed to provide balance but the facts and figures felt soooo forced imo and i did roll my eyes a bit. i'm an early 00s baby and agree with above that not living through it probably helps when watching!

I agree actually. I remember this period well and it was a very, very rocky time for the monarchy. Barely a day would go by without them being on the front pages for some misdemeanour, be it Charles and Diana‘s leaked phone calls, their mud slinging at each other, Diana’s panorama interview and Fergie having her toe sucked by the swimming pool.

They were deeply unpopular as an institution and their marriage woes made them look all like hypocrites. The Queen was a cold, remote and distant figure and when Windsor Castle burned down there was a huge outcry when it became clear that the public were expected to pay for repairs. She eventually backed down from that but there was genuine talk of us becoming a republic in the media, it was even debated on prime time TV. I think if you had a time machine and went back to then and told people there would still be a monarchy in thirty years time they’d probably laugh at you. That’s how bad things were. From what I’ve seen so far series 5 almost glosses over all of that. It should have been so juicy but isn’t if that makes sense and I certainly don’t understand why a whole episode was decimated to bleeping Mohammed Al Fayed?
Yes it's funny that after all the hysteria from the Media, it has been very, very tame so far. They could have ( and maybe should have) really gone for the jugular. I think the Royals must have known how bad it could have been and got their protesting in too early without anyone having watched it when they should have just stfu. Wasn't the Windsor Castle debacle the reason The Queen started paying tax? I remember the outcry too about the public paying for the castle repairs. I think it also came out that Andrew ordered staff to go back into WC to rescue the paintings, risking their lives and they were given out of date stuff from the gift shop as a reward!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
only on episode 3 but i'm enjoying it, although not nearly as much as the earlier series

best cast one is little prince william!

the actress playing penny looks like a child of meryl streep and kate winslet and it's throwing me off

really don't like the actress playing anne!

Reactions: 2
The kid playing Prince William is Dominic West's eldest.

He does have a look of PW.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
i enjoyed madame ritz being played by ''sylvie from emily in paris'' haha

• Haha
Reactions: 15