The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am halfway through ep1 and can’t help but laugh at whoever cast this actress as the Queen Mother. She’s too thin, blonde and totally off.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Am halfway through ep1 and can’t help but laugh at whoever cast this actress as the Queen Mother. She’s too thin, blonde and totally off.
If Imelda hadn’t called her “mummy” I wouldn’t have known who she was meant to be 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I sort of like Jonathon Pryce. I think he gives a more subtle, mellow performance of PP, which makes sense as the character is older.

The Queen Mother is odd casting though. She had a very distinctive look with a round, expressive face. The actor looks too small and frail and doesn’t really capture her.

Reactions: 16
The actress who is Norma Major I thought it was actually her, the is casting spot on.
Imelda Staunton as Queen is excellent as is Johnathan Pryce. Dominic West must have been practicing Charles’ mannerisms in the mirror for months.

Reactions: 9
I don’t know how to post a spoiler I’m afraid
I sort of like Jonathon Pryce. I think he gives a more subtle, mellow performance of PP, which makes sense as the character is older.

The Queen Mother is odd casting though. She had a very distinctive look with a round, expressive face. The actor looks too small and frail and doesn’t really capture her.
They have never got the QM right imo. Not sure why, when the casting is generally good.

Reactions: 4
She doesn't sound like her either!

With the Queen's recent passing I'm finding it a more emotional watch. Either that or I need to get a grip!

Reactions: 3
Really struggling with this season
Missing Claire foy so much I like imelda Staunton as queen ever so slightly couldn’t stand Olivia Coleman but it was a great season.

Prince Philip is just not giving Prince Philip

Dominic west is too good looking for Charles

Camila was a good casting

I quite liked the episode around Sydney Laurence was that his name?

Nobody will ever beat season 3 & 4 princess Anne!

Reactions: 6
Jonathan Pryce’s portrayal is growing on me, especially in the Russia episode. I recommend the official Crown podcast too, Edith Bowman presents and she interviews the cast and crew.

Nobody will ever beat season 3 & 4 princess Anne!
that actress was superb!! In looks and mannerism. She’s ALL Ann!

Just finished season 5 and how underwhelming was that! I was looking forward to it so much. Definitely the weakest series so far.

Episode 1. Bit emosh seeing the Queen. Charles isn't coming across well towards Di.

Reactions: 1
I'm on episode 5, and honestly... I'm finding this series boring. I don't like any of the casting either! All I can see when I watch imelda as the queen is Umbridge, Charles isn't right at all it's like he's not even trying to act like Charles, Prince Phillip is unlikeable and terrible, and I've seen some people say the actress playing Diana is good but I completely disagree and think she's trying trying too hard!
I'm at the point of thinking I might not continue, all the stuff that happened to the royals in the 90s and this is the best they've come up with?!

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I’m loving this series so far, I hated last series and Olivia Coleman’s Queen. I watched Ep 5 last night and thought it really good. Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret knocks Helena B C out of the park. I could believe it was the older Margaret and Peter Townsend meeting up again. Loved it

Reactions: 15
Something isn’t clicking for me either this season and it’s definitely the casting. I so loved Josh O’Connor (adore him especially) as Charles and Erin Doherty as Anne, they were superbly spot on. It also doesn’t help that I’m not the biggest fan of Dominic West. I’m at episode 8 and I just don’t have that want for more. The last two seasons I’ve loved and at the end of season 3, I couldn’t wait for season 4. Part of me wonders if this season is a bit lacklustre to make it so season six (the last season) comes across more spectacular 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 7
Something isn’t clicking for me either this season and it’s definitely the casting. I so loved Josh O’Connor (adore him especially) as Charles and Erin Doherty as Anne, they were superbly spot on. It also doesn’t help that I’m not the biggest fan of Dominic West. I’m at episode 8 and I just don’t have that want for more. The last two seasons I’ve loved and at the end of season 3, I couldn’t wait for season 4. Part of me wonders if this season is a bit lacklustre to make it so season six (the last season) comes across more spectacular 🤷🏻‍♀️
Maybe but aside Diana's death (which he has already covered in The Queen) I really struggle to think what else they really have to cover that's particularly memorable. The early 90s were full of drama and frankly unbelievable stories coming out. To not even have one episode dedicated to Fergie and Andrew, but a whole one on Al Fayed just seems odd. Nothing much on Diana's multiple lovers either.

It feels a little like game of thrones syndrome where the writers have kind of given up and rushing it through

Reactions: 13
We’re only 2 episodes in but already I know it’s not the binge fest I’d usually be having. I wonder if the timing for this series is right. Like it or not, you couldn’t really escape the past few months in the real royal world. So it just feels grubby and cashing in. Maybe for me it’s just too recent history. I had no real understanding of the 50’s to the 70’s in the royal family - I didn’t give a thought to the artistic licence.

Reactions: 5
I agree the historical focus made it special, the scandals and fashion. I'm enjoying the Leonora storyline though.

They have never got the QM right imo. Not sure why, when the casting is generally good.
Nope they never have. At nearly fifty I was a bit put out that the last actress casted as the Queen wasn't that much older than me

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Really can't get into this season. Casting is all off and as great an actor as Staunton is, she is not the Queen. Claire Foy got her voice and mannerisms perfectly and Staunton really hasn't . It feels a bit karaoke. Not sure I can be bothered to watch anymore

Reactions: 10
Really can't get into this season. Casting is all off and as great an actor as Staunton is, she is not the Queen. Claire Foy got her voice and mannerisms perfectly and Staunton really hasn't . It feels a bit karaoke. Not sure I can be bothered to watch anymore
I might have a look over Christmas but in previous seasons I'd probably have seen the lot by now.

Reactions: 1
We’ve just watched ep 5 (I’m pretty sure , the leaked phone call) … I’m just not convinced by Dominic West as Charles at all . As others have said he’s too handsome , too tanned . I don’t buy it . I don’t like the Anne casting much either - I think she looks like her and walks like her but her speech and mannerisms aren’t right at all .

I’m finding some of this series a bit boring . My husband and I binged the last series when it came out and watched it in about 3 days . We knew our little boy would have us up at 5am but still couldn’t resist staying up late to watch just one more episode . Last night we turned it off after 1 and put Taskmaster on instead . It’s just not doing it for me , and I tbh thought I’d love it as it’s the first series I was alive for (1990 baby here !) , but no , I’m just not loving it

Reactions: 6