The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I rewatched episodes 1, 2, & 4 at the weekend but found 3 too distressing to watch again.

I though episode 2 was particularly good with the juxtaposition of the two photographers. Unsurprisingly Mario Brenna was unhappy with the way he was portrayed.

What’s Mario Brenna’s problem, he became a very very rich man because of those photos.. also no one ever has claimed that events as portrayed in The Crown are proven facts. The hypocrisy slides down the walls ending up in a big puddle on the floor 🙄

Reactions: 2
I’m watching the latest episodes, but they’re not really gripping me. Series 1 and 2 were brilliant. I also didn’t mind 3 and 4 to be honest, but I really started to struggle with it at series 5.

Reactions: 6
Have rewatched series 1 and 2 many times, enjoyed 3&4 but didn’t like 5 at all, Imelda Staunton just left me cold, too much Dolores Umbridge for me.

Reactions: 6
I thought it felt very ‘soapy’. Charles was portrayed extremely sympathetically and I really don’t imagine him being that emotionally demonstrative! The Queen came across as a right cold hearted witch, but I don’t think she had much time for Diana! The ghost scenes are cringe!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I thought it felt very ‘soapy’. Charles was portrayed extremely sympathetically and I really don’t imagine him being that emotionally demonstrative! The Queen came across as a right cold hearted witch, but I don’t think she had much time for Diana! The ghost scenes are cringe!
ghost dodi worked way better for me than ghost diana (and other sentences i never thought i would say!) - mohammed al fayed ended up being the most compelling character (and the best acting performance) in this series for me, and i thought using his son as the sort of manifestation of his guilt was effective. however, the rest was cringe i agree!

Reactions: 14
Give the man who played Mohammed Al Fayed all the awards. He played an absolute blinder this season. I wonder how his family are dealing with D+D deaths/ media frenzy around them being pinned of Mohammed, who isn’t around any more to defend himself? I know it’s a tv show but it paints Diana as an unwilling participant, when we all know she played silly games with the press. I found that incredibly frustrating and I don’t even know them.

Reactions: 14
You know what, I think it’s okay! I’m finding it very easy to watch. I was only 4 when Diana died though so I never knew of her alive (just the hysteria around her death) so the focus on her is interesting for me.

This cast is an absolute dud though. Imelda Staunton, Dominic West and Johnathan Pryce are all just playing themselves? I also think that’s why I’m enjoying much more than the previous series (which was a chore to get through) - when watching Diana, Dodi + the boys it does feel like I am viewing the real life characters, with the actual Royal family it just feels a bit laughable, I have to continually remind myself who they are meant to be. Not sure how West and Pryce have been allowed to perform without the RP accent at all, at least Imelda has somewhat given it a go.
Of course West and Pryce have RP accents in it. What accents do you think they have?

Reactions: 1
Royals and aristocrats don't speak RP, that would be common! QE2's accent changed over her reign; you can her a softening if you compare early and later speeches, but it is the Queen's English, not RP.

I mean.. was this rhetorical? Not quite sure how to reply to this - I think it's easy to deduce from my post that I meant their own? If you disagree that is fine :ROFLMAO:
Do you know what RP is? They were speaking in Received Pronunciation. I definitely didn't notice any regional accents there.

Royals and aristocrats don't speak RP, that would be common! QE2's accent changed over her reign; you can her a softening if you compare early and later speeches, but it is the Queen's English, not RP.
Yes, her speech changed, but RP is "the queen's/king's English" (which refers to accent and grammar).

RP refers to the accent not grammar.
"Received Pronunciation (RP) is the accent traditionally regarded as the standard and most prestigious form of spoken British English.[1][2] For over a century, there has been argument over such questions as the definition of RP, whether it is geographically neutral, how many speakers there are, whether sub-varieties exist, how appropriate a choice it is as a standard and how the accent has changed over time.[3] The name itself is controversial. RP is an accent, so the study of RP is concerned only with matters of pronunciation; other areas relevant to the study of language standards such as vocabulary, grammar, and style are not considered."

Reactions: 2
RP refers to the accent not grammar.
"Received Pronunciation (RP) is the accent traditionally regarded as the standard and most prestigious form of spoken British English.[1][2] For over a century, there has been argument over such questions as the definition of RP, whether it is geographically neutral, how many speakers there are, whether sub-varieties exist, how appropriate a choice it is as a standard and how the accent has changed over time.[3] The name itself is controversial. RP is an accent, so the study of RP is concerned only with matters of pronunciation; other areas relevant to the study of language standards such as vocabulary, grammar, and style are not considered."
I was baffled when I read the grammar bit, because in my opinion grammar isn't all that negotiable, but from the same wiki entry that you quote, it says:
" The terms 'The Queen's English' or 'The King's English' have also been used by some writers,[11] though the terms are more appropriately used to cover grammar as well as pronunciation. "
"The Queen's/King's English" is synonymous with RP, but the grammar bit I am not too certain about. 🤔

I'm getting the impression they're deliberately making Harry extremely unlikeable and embarrassing. I know he's a teenage boy but it's cringemaking.

Still think it's crazy how little the Queen is the star of her own show. Might as well have renamed it Diana and Son instead.

Reactions: 10
I'm hoping the show will give Margaret more of a last hurrah than she actually got. I'm sure she was a nightmare, but still the only one of the whole lot of them who'd be good crack. Loved HBC's Mustique Margaret in her caftan and young lover glory, so I hope Lesley Manville will get to be deliciously bitchy in big sunglasses and a wheelchair before it's final curtain time for Beryl - I'm sure she will be great at it.

Reactions: 4
I'm getting the impression they're deliberately making Harry extremely unlikeable and embarrassing. I know he's a teenage boy but it's cringemaking.

Still think it's crazy how little the Queen is the star of her own show. Might as well have renamed it Diana and Son instead.
I'm just finishing the first new episode but I was wondering maybe it was a conscious decision to shift the focus away from her and onto the future of The Crown itself.

(I started to watch the first series again last week so I'm probably giving credit where it isn't due here through!)

Lesley Manville is brilliant this series , her episode is so well done. Her acting is both amazing and moving.

Ed Mcvey as Prince William I think also really shines this season.

I think Harry's portrayal is fairly accurate tbh. Certainly from what we know about Harry at the time. Its actually nice after the last few years to have Williams story portrayed a bit.

I'm finding these new episodes much better than the first half. Probably helped by it not being the Diana show.

Reactions: 7