The Coil

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m getting the coil in the next few weeks and wondering what your experiences were.

They say it’s not as painful when you have had children but mine were csections!

Im going for the “Kyleena” has anyone had this?

Reactions: 1
I have the Mirena. I love it!! I don't have periods and no weight gain or mood swings. They say if you haven't had children it's painful to be fitted. Something to do with the cervix. I had my first fitted before children and it was very painful. I did bleed for a few days and get cramps. The second time it didn't hurt and was fine. My coil lasts for 5 years before it needs removing.

Reactions: 2
I had the mirena for 13 years and it absolutely changed my life! I had horrific periods all through my teens and after my mirena I had no bleeding and no pain. I still got PMS but nothing too bad.

it does hurt, but the pain is intense and short lasting. take some pain beforehand and don’t go in with a hangover like I did the first time 🤦🏻‍♀️

Onto my 3rd mirena and can’t fault it. I didn’t feel any pain when getting them in (no diff to a smear) and no pain afterwards.
No periods, no side effects. Perfect for me

I had my mirena after my first child and it was very painful! Only lasts a few seconds though! I got terrible mood swings but no period. But really bad period pain every 2 weeks 🤔 Had it taken out last week and didnt feel a thing!

Reactions: 3
I had the mirena for 13 years and it absolutely changed my life! I had horrific periods all through my teens and after my mirena I had no bleeding and no pain. I still got PMS but nothing too bad.

it does hurt, but the pain is intense and short lasting. take some pain beforehand and don’t go in with a hangover like I did the first time 🤦🏻‍♀️
This has been my exact experience also. The coil absolutely changed my life. The only side effects I have had is that the skin on my forehead sometimes breaks out (I’m 40 btw). This is a small price to pay however.

I did not have a hangover when having it put in 😂

I have the copper coil so still have periods as I didn’t like the idea of not having them at all but have no complaints at all. I’m on my second one, this is a 10 year one and the previous was a 5 yr.
It’s a bit painful having it fitted, more the clamp to hold your cervix open but other than that was fine. The second one I was a bit crampy for the rest of the day but nothing horrific. Do take a few pain before you have it fitted just to take the edge off.
The only side effect if you can call it that is my periods last a few days longer but they’re not heavier. Good luck 😊

I’ve had two copper coils. First one fell out after I had a super heavy period and have had the second one in since. Haven’t had any issues with it. I found it hurt so much and was very painful for a few days afterwards too but for me it’s easier than taking the pill as I had tried so many that didn’t agree with me, tried the patch which was pointless as it kept falling off and it’s the best option for my husband and I.

This has been my exact experience also. The coil absolutely changed my life. The only side effects I have had is that the skin on my forehead sometimes breaks out (I’m 40 btw). This is a small price to pay however.

I did not have a hangover when having it put in 😂

Omg! My forehead gets red, itchy and sore at times and I could never work out what caused it. I have tried changing everything, cosmetics, food, you name it, I have changed it. Even had doctors prescription for it.

This year I was convinced it was tied into my hay fever.

What do you use to combat it?

Oh thank you.

@Blair take a couple of pain before you go. Ibuprofen ideally. It does hurt, but not for long and its worth it.
Ive had for 2 years and no problems

Omg! My forehead gets red, itchy and sore at times and I could never work out what caused it. I have tried changing everything, cosmetics, food, you name it, I have changed it. Even had doctors prescription for it.

Oh thank you.
I don’t really use anything tbh. My life before having the coil was so restricted as I bled so heavily. I figured a few spots on my forehead was a small price to pay for the freedom it gave me. They are tiny spots, which don’t bother me that much any more. It took me a few years to realise it was linked with my coil.

I had the copper coil. It does hurt to have it put in but its over pretty quickly and then the pain afterwards is just like crampy period pain for a day or two.

It was great having reliable contraception with no hormones whatsoever. However the reason I got it taken out is because I suffer from UTIs and I definitely think they got worse with the coil even though my GP insisted it was highly unlikely, as there were no real studies at the time linking the two and UTI is not considered a side effect with copper coil.

However It got to the point where I was getting a horrendous UTI almost every other week and so I got the coil removed. I’m sure I was right because almost immediately after this the frequency and severity of my UTIs decreased. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 3

Oh thank you.
Me too!! How strange

I don’t really use anything tbh. My life before having the coil was so restricted as I bled so heavily. I figured a few spots on my forehead was a small price to pay for the freedom it gave me. They are tiny spots, which don’t bother me that much any more. It took me a few years to realise it was linked with my coil.

Exactly the reason why mine was fitted. I could not move some days.

My forehead does be red, raw with flakey skin, so attactive but I have had a fringe cut in.

I'm so jealous! I had the mirena coil fitted last year due to constant heavy periods because of fibroids.

It has made it easier in that I only bleed one week a month now but I'm still really heavy that one week. I wish mine had stopped completely too!

I had a Cooper cool fitted 1 year after my Son was born, I wanted to give my body break after 16 years of hormones. I kept having periods but got really painful boobies in the week leading up to it and every 3/4 months they were super heavy. I suffered bad clots and bad cramps for about 2 days. Kept it for the 10 years.

I’ve recently had the Mirena put in after the Nurse at the clinic recommended it. So far I’ve not had a period but very light bleeding, no cramps or painful boobies.

it’s uncomfortable, I won’t lie. It feels weird and like a smear and the part where it’s inserted is painful but very short lived.

I had the copper coil and it was awful. I bled for months and my Dr was so concerned she sent me for to the gynaecologist before she would consider fitting the mirena.

All was fine so I had the mirena fitted and I love it. No periods! Would highly recommend.
I've got kids but had c sections so never a "natural" birth but I didn't find the fitting of either painful, just a bit uncomfortable but it didn't last long. The mirena caused a little bit of bleeding after fitting but it soon settled to nothing :)

I've had the mirena and hated it, made my mood terrible.
Now I have a copper coil and it's fine apart from heavier periods and more cramps.

I didn't think either of them were painful to put in, don't remember feeling much at all. Both felt a bit crampy for like 1-2 days after.

I have the Mirena coil!
A big benefit of it for me is that I literally have not had a period since,
BUT I do get period-like cramping every few weeks, even though it’s been 10 months since I had it put in, and the cramping is INTENSE. Like really really bad, have to do deep breathing and curl up for a while, and this isn’t something I ever ever experienced before getting it put in.
Also, doctors tell you that you won’t have any mood-related effects, because the “hormones are localised” - but this actually isn’t true. Myself and loads of friends who have the Mirena definitely suffer from mood swings, low mood, anger etc etc that we definitely believe are related to our coils, as we just all feel a little different to how we did before. So yeah if you’re sensitive to hormones be mindful of that!!

EDIT: Don’t know if anyone else had this with Mirena but my sex drive is now next to nothing. I don’t want it at all, and my libido hasn’t gone back to normal since

Reactions: 4