The Coil

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have the Mirena. I love it!! I don't have periods and no weight gain or mood swings. They say if you haven't had children it's painful to be fitted. Something to do with the cervix. I had my first fitted before children and it was very painful. I did bleed for a few days and get cramps. The second time it didn't hurt and was fine. My coil lasts for 5 years before it needs removing.
I also have the mirena and I'm due to have it out, was it painful getting it taken out? It was absolutely horrific getting it put in😭😭

I have had the mirena coil fitted twice. First time under general anaesthetic as I was having surgery for Endo but got it swapped after 5 years. Not gonna lie, it hurt getting the new one in. My cervix ended up spasming and rejected it so they had to take the new one out and replace it but it was all done within 10 mins. I have no kids so don’t know what it’s like but I have had endo for 12 years and know the pain with that!

the coil itself has been a massive help, I still bleed but very rarely and it’s not ‘full on’ I do still get stomach cramp but in all honesty it’s so much better than what it was 😭 I haven’t had the emotional side effects like I did with the pill. it’s completely improved my life And would recommend anyone to try it

I have been recommended the Mirena coil for my endometriosis, but I’m absolutely petrified after hearing countless horror stories from friends - I can see there’s some positive stories on here, so I must just know some unlucky women! 🤣 I’ve held off on my decision for now, am taking the pill back to back to try and minimise my cycle but it’s not helping very much. Really unsure what to do!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I ment to say in my post, take some pain killers half an hour or so before fitting to help with the discomfort.

I got the copper coil in 2018, it was really painful but I liked that I wasn’t going to be effected by any hormones. I didn’t find it too bad but my periods were way heavier and more painful and then at the beginning of the year I got pregnant with it still being in the correct place. Since then I’ve heard a fair amount of women who got pregnant while using it too, despite it being described as one of the most effective forms of contraception.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
i had a Mirena fitted three months after giving birth, and except for a change in 2016 haven't looked back! Love it. No period since 2011 now, I love it. I wont have it forever, regardless of wanting more kids or not, I do think that eventually I would liek to let my body have a normal cycle again for a while to see if any hormone/weight problems related settle down, but for the time being I wouldnt be without my Mirena. I love it.

The insertion itself is uncomfortable but the day after I was wiped out. I vomited as soon as I left the hospital (could be a mixture of pain and anxiety) then had to lay down for the rest of the day due to the pain. Periods are still regular and heavier but I recommend it as a contraception

I’ve had 2 Mirena’s, insertion is uncomfortable (I’ve never given birth) but only for a few seconds. Never had an issue with them and periods disappeared after a few months which was great. Had it removed in Feb to try for s baby and fell pregnant fairly quickly.

@lavalamp98 I have the same really intense cramps as you, generally end up doubled over and white as a ghost lol Feminax Ultra the one in the blue box is good as pain relief

But other than that, 100% recommend the coil, I have the Jaydess one which is just a smaller Mirena so perfect for someone who hasn’t given birth. Take ibuprofen and if you can Buscopan as a gentle muscle relaxant before having it inserted to help with the pain.

I had the Mirena fitted in 2018, I took pain killers and was smart enough to have the afternoon off work. I bled fairly constantly after this for around 6 months, with back pain and inconsistent flow. Now though, I barely even have a period! I don't need to use any sanitary products. The only thing I still notice is the pains..oh and mood swings. I totally recommend it though, if you're willing to persevere through the first few weeks/months.

I’ve been told that the coil is the only option for me because I am on epilepsy meds. Reading the positive experiences on here has been very helpful.

I have had the copper coil for nearly 2 years. The first few months I had horrendously heavy periods but now they are normal. I have suffered with hormonal side effects of other contraception (the pill and the implant) so this works really well for me. It did hurt a bit when putting it in (more than expected) and it fell out straight away so the nurse had to do it again 🙈 but on the whole i would really recommend it! Getting it out next year to try to conceive but would def get it fitted again in the future.

Ok ladies how much does it really hurt? I’d say I have a pretty low pain threshold.. like I found labour super painful, I’m talking begging for an epidural right away when I was barely dialled! I’m loving the idea of no hormones but scared of the pain!

Ok ladies how much does it really hurt? I’d say I have a pretty low pain threshold.. like I found labour super painful, I’m talking begging for an epidural right away when I was barely dialled! I’m loving the idea of no hormones but scared of the pain!
I’ll be honest I did find it painful about an hour after; honestly the worst cramps I’ve had in my life but I’ve never had a baby so I think it was just a shock to something foreign in my body lol but it passed by that evening! And it’s been totally worth it since.

Jus a tab bit uncomfortable when it was being fitted, like a smear test, but nothing major at all.

I have had the copper coil for about 8 years now and found the process fine, just felt like a smear which I personally don't find bad at all (I know it is not as easy for some!) just a bit awkward. When they're like ok, please relax don't tense up... really not easy when a stranger is coming at you with instruments haha.

The following day I had cramps that felt like my usual period pain. My periods were more painful for a while but have gotten more bearable recently. I notice my cramps aren't as bad when I'm eating better, particularly when I've had a lot of ginger though not sure of any science to back that up haha.

Periods are heavier than they were before but not unmanageable. I use a mooncup, I know some don't recommend the coil and mooncup but I have been super careful taking it out and had no issues *touch wood*.

I'm super happy I got it and will get another when it's time to have this one removed. I had really bad mood swings and depression from the pill so this has been a relief!

I've had the Mirena for just under 5 years (getting it removed next month). Best thing I ever did.. I haven't had children and got on just fine with it. I did get cramping on insertion but no worse than period pains and nothing pain couldn't sort out afterwards! I experienced irregular bleeding with cramping for around 6 months and then after that no periods at all which has been a dream! Before the Mirena I had irregular periods that could be quite heavy and painful to the point where I was having to take time off work - the Mirena has been a god send for this. Over the past few months I've had some spotting like a light period, have been told this is due to the hormone in the coil now running low as its close to the 5 years which is why I'm due for removal. There is a bit of controversy surrounding the coil and it's not best for everyone but for me it has been an absolute god send! I'm not going to get another one put in as I want my body to get back into its cycle for various reasons but I will definitely get another one in the future if I go back on birth control!

My experience is a negative one, sorry! I had the copper coil put in last year and had it for a year, I recently had it taken out as it kept making me bleed after sex and made my periods super heavy! Also had cramping when I wasn't even on my period. As soon as the nurse examined me at my appointment to have it out, she said the strings were long and that the coil was sitting rather low so that's what she thinks was causing the bleeding after sex. I was a bit disappointed to have to take it out tbh.

I won't lie I did find it painful when it was inserted and i felt a little faint! I had a few hours of cramping too. Removal wasn't painful at all for me.

I haven't had children and I changed from the pill to the coil due to blood pressure problems caused by the pill. My first coil was a opper one and the insertion was awful. I found it uncomfortable when it was inserted, but the real pain kicked in about an hour later. Basically I passed out due to severe cramping and had to spend the rest of the day and following night in bed on strong pain. 24 hours later it had settled and I felt better. However, my periods were dreadful, really, really heavy. I only tolerated it for about a year and then had it removed and replaced with a Mirena. I have had 3 Mirena coils over the years and my experiences with them have been nothing but positive - no bleeding, minimal pain and no side effects. I'm 52 now so my current one will be my last as I will be post-menopausal in the next year or so.

I have the copper coil. Hand on heart - I didn’t even feel it being put in. Honestly. The only thing I felt was the normal pressure from having the speculum in which isn’t painful in anyway just pressure and that was it. She did the procedure in literally less than 3 minutes and I was shocked at how quick it was and how completely pain free it was to have done.

I had cramping for about 48 hours after having it placed but nothing extraordinary and completely manageable with paracetamol.

Reactions: 3