Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Clara Burnett

VIP Member
Clara, we would all be very interested to know more, but if this is your real name, I would advise you to use a Nom de Plume on this thread.

The superfans are mad as Bacchus.
Don't worry, it is not. I'm very much aware, from the many stories my friends told me about the bullying tactics SJ wields, sending her troopers to 'confront' critics. In fact, this is why my friends decided to cut all ties with her and her followers completely, after being harassed and threatened. After experiencing her sad fakeness and wasteful life-style extendedly, they bought their own tiny place, not even five minutes from her chateau, but far enough to stay out of her insane reach.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

BlueandWhite

Lurker of the Shattoo threads and now a brand new poster, yes I found this site thanks to BG. I'm not a Super Fan but very disappointed in what I've read in the threads (so far). Yes I even (still now) donate money on Patreon, but this shall cease as of tonight. How is SJ able to get away with this, when its not even hard to find the real info on her...

• Heart

NorrisCS

She and Isabelle, vampires of the worst kind. Feeding on the desperation of the old, the naivety of the young and the ennui of those in between. Charming and seductive, but always wanting more - more admiration, more power, more life.
You only get away if they want you to and then you bare the scars. If you are useful or amusing, a tug on the silken thread and you are back....
Poor Selmar.....she will be done when she breaks him....
Honestly the more I read and see of her and Mummy the more repulsed I am. While sometime back she just irritated me with the nonsense, greed and ridiculous laugh, now I just think she is a toxic bully. But clever and sly with it. On one of the advent vlogs poor gentle Selmar is talking about his neck (after she asked him how he was) he said it was bad / cold weather / the camper van... she could not have cared less about him. She gave him a scrap of air time to “show her concern” but she didn’t give a shit. I think she disgusting. And those idiot idiot fans following her and adoring her and believing her... we know this happens. Crazed cult devotees, deluded, malleable people who are just taken in by the leader. Even when they are abused they continue to believe. The rabid crazed responses when they feel their idol is being attacked. The blind defence.... oh God it’s making me shudder. We’ve all seen documentaries and listened to podcasts on cults... what’s going on with SJ and the followers is the same. Poor deluded people, I do feel sorry for them, especially (as discussed before) the vulnerable and the lonely ones. Not good. 😐

• Heart
  • Sad

frenchessence

Chatty Member
Nearly time to vote for a new thread title!

@Hemerocallis - “Venetian crown while the chateau burns down”
@Raspberrybrulee - "Better a Mickey Dodger than an Edmund Fokker"

E.& o.e.

Or variations thereof... ???

I think it is interesting that the two most liked posts of this thread have been @Clara Burnett sharing the sordid details of SJ's narcissism, and @Raspberrybrulee pointing out that SJ is no different from any other celebrity/hussler using her looks to get ahead.

This is proof for me that tattlers on here seem to be a well balanced and well rounded bunch in their appraisal of the Chateau Diaries... I do think, though, that the moral barometer changes depending upon a person's life experience. Those who have been badly burned, or who have witnessed those they love being plucked bald by someone like SJ, will have a different opinion to those who have not...

So, let's celebrate the fact that we can discuss such a contentious issue and all agree to differ at times without turning psycho/sycophant.
I agree. And @Raspberrybrulee made a laudable remark there. I have never been a part of any forum or group before joining here. Not even as a reader, this was just thrown up when I googled chateau diaries . Far from it being a place of haters, it’s full of intelligent, funny and erudite commentators, not always agreeing but respecting one another’s views.

Whilst I like to think I firmly know my own mind, there have been things I’ve read here which have altered my opinion or at the very least broadened my aspect of thought.

As a side note, Mr Fokker has added so much in visuals, humour and the cringe factor. Many thanks to Clara for so much info and personally introducing him 😹 🙌

• Heart

Incognito Chatelaine

Update: I have checked the dates, this book was written before their time at Lalande. Nevertheless, it is something of a coincidence.

Okay, so one of the caretakers of Lalande wrote an undercover book about elderly care homes (not in English).

Many have speculated here on the wealth accumulated by the Jarvis family. As I have mentioned before, I am an old bag of bones, but I did work in London in the 80's as a Commercial Mortgage Broker. What I can also tell you about these "granny farms" is that the allowance to feed an "inmate" (as many of the investors referred to them) was GBP1.50 per day. There was a specific bank which was known to approve these loans, as other, more credible, banks would not have approved a business plan incorporating that kind of neglect. I was not directly involved with these loans but one of my close colleagues was - and deeply affected by it. I left the industry when Kuwait was invaded to go back to university but I can tell you that people with no knowledge or training were making a lot of money on these "granny farms". The only requirement was to employ a number of individuals with appropriate education, I cannot remember the ratio to patients, but I do remember that it was anything but generous. In sum, I think the agents on tattle are pretty much on the money when it comes to speculating about how Derek and Isabelle became wealthy.

So, why do I bring this up now? Well, the fact that one of the caretakers of the chateau (who is also a writer) had investigated elderly neglect in his own country, is an extraordinary coincidence. I wonder if what he heard, witnessed or experienced at Lalande triggered unpleasant memories of his investigative project some years earlier?

Well done Clara, a picture is emerging, and it is one that deserves to be in the attic.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow

Incognito Chatelaine

If visiting the chateau when my friends lived there (they were her guardians for three years, their words, I would call it slavery) and listening to their many enthusiastic stories make me an insider, then sure.
Clara, we would all be very interested to know more, but if this is your real name, I would advise you to use a Nom de Plume on this thread.

The superfans are mad as Bacchus.

• Heart
  • Haha

Mrs O

Why do these people buy these properties if they cannot afford them? Please don’t blame Covid 19 because anything could have hampered their renovation. They should have had a Plan B before they began.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Tarkathepuppy

I am new to this very, very entertaining place. Upon Googling "Stephanie Jarvis' Husband" I happily stumbled on you guys - what a revelation. Far more "me" than the ghastly BG and her tribe of whacko's on FB.

• Heart

Clara Burnett

VIP Member
I wasn't expecting a Sadie Petherick style quote about muslims or anything. It seems like it was more situational with the other workaway needing to finish something electrical. Just curious what it was, and what was the impetuous of the conflict. Was it a newer workaway? A wealthier workaway that wasn't actually a workaway?
It wasn't. This volunteer was a deranged woman my friend took pity on, but she repaid his kindness by shouting at him while he was serving breakfast to B&B guest, screaming to him all homosexuals are sinners and should die a miserable death. There, I've said it.

It wasn't. This volunteer was a deranged woman my friend took pity on, but she repaid his kindness by shouting at him while he was serving breakfast to B&B guest, screaming to him all homosexuals are sinners and should die a miserable death. There, I've said it.
SJ, who wasn't there at the time but got the message through her mother on the phone, later denied it ever happened and my friend made it up.

• Wow
  • Sad

witchgrass

VIP Member
I took a shallow dive into the Dutch giants instagrams and SJ was liking their posts right up until they bought their house. They have photos of when they arrived at Lalande, the garden - which was messy and about as productive as it is now (public post wise), the young white peacock, a young Ruby who may have been named Ziggy and had a brother Stardust. They seem like a couple of peaceful sweet men and the content they post reminds me of Selmar and honestly, myself. My whole feed is pets and gardens and I will stop everything to film an urban raccoon eating catfood. Anyway. It made me sad. Not because they'd been Had, necessarily. I mean they bought a great house nearby because they'd been living at Lalande for a few years I'm assuming rent free. They know other chateau owners and they also traveled a lot outside of France during the time they lived there. Life didn't look like it sucked. I'm sad because they are neighbors in the middle of nowhere and they were friends once. Like, just apologize to your neighbors Stephanie. Don't dust it away because your mother settled a conflict in a way that benefited both of you, but ruined a friendship with people who are YOUR LITERAL NEIGHBORS NOW. Please don't narcsplain me. I am trying to consider all of the dangerous liaisons here. That place is full of booze and men and they aren't all victims of Glenn Close.

eta... The Dutch giants got a puppy after their dog, Fos' passed away. He was a magnificent dog. Selmar's going to go through something similar very soon. I wonder if he'll stay at Lalande. (My daughter hates it when I say things like that out loud, so for anyone as sensitive as she is, sorry sorry sorry.)

Last edited:
  • Heart
I'm sorry, what you described meant I would have to be run LIKE A BUSINESS and not like one persons SELF INDULGENT FANTASY LAND where she flirty with other peoples husbands (welcome home!!MP) while doing it off of other peoples MONEY!! OF COURSE she should be booking weddings, giving tours, selling merch, having a small shop and restaurant open on weekends, making herself available (like an attraction) so people will come back... and Marie should set up shop there and have people come around 'OF COURSE ITS WHAT they should be doing.. but THATS WORK - tiring work - involving LONG TERM PLANS- that don't make you famous, or get you fancier hotel rooms, or on TV - its GROWN UP WORK.... something nobody in that house, with the exception of Selmar, is willing to do! ugh they are an annoying bunch of imps
I think running a chambre d'hote is hard work enough without dealing with all the drama of putting on weddings or the administrative hassle of running a shop. I would not want to do it.

Vlogging on YT was really a stroke of genius for SJ. If she is smart, she has set her sights on something that generates YT-like income without all the hard graft: cookbooks, wallpaper, wrapping paper, cards, towels, carpets, Christmas music. These are all things that people can buy on a repeat basis. If she plays her cards right--and her brand does not become too damaged by permitting amateurs like Brenda Gibbons or Cbomb run her other social media--SJ could be set up for life.

• Heart
Seconded. To repeat myself, I said to repeat myself 😉 in one of the very early threads I mentioned that on a live premiere when donations were flooding in so fast, that they couldn’t keep up with reading or acknowledging them, an (old ?) lady gave money, SJ glossed over a brief thanks and a while later the same lady came up in comments again - which to give her credit, SJ read out ... the lady said something along the lines of these are my savings (?) and it’s taken a long time to get them together, so please spend wisely.

It’s a free choice whether to give or not, but my concern, like many others here, is that the lonely and vulnerable end up giving money they really should keep for themselves (or donate to a real charity) instead of handing over to SJ because they believe she is needy and unable to carry in living at the chateau without these donations.
I have always suspected that some of the people giving directly through youtube premieres are subject to a rather unpleasant trick used by lots of con artists.

It works like this: If the premiere donations don't start rolling in automatically then someone within the SJ entourage sends some money to which SJ gushes enthusiastically, naming the donor and showing great delight. This, in turn, prompts others to think how lovely it would be to have their idol do the same for them so they send money too and it has a snowball effect.

Market traders use it all the time. If their patter is not attracting any buyers then they have people within the crowd that will break the ice by buying some goods, loudly saying what a bargain it is, and that usually prompts others to start doing the same. Human nature is to not lose out on a bargain (or a chance to please one's adored princess and be publicly thanked!)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

Heathcliffe

VIP Member
one thing baffles me, if Sj wanted this life why didn't she stay in London and mingle with the correct people
I guess because she would have been too ordinary, she would have tiny flat not in the correct area, maybe correct education but not correct job, and like this she is real life chateau owner, has super friends who party together all the time...

GB people could shed some light (now i miss my friend C who would explain)
Better to be a big fish in a small pond perhaps?...🦈 And in control. London is not a good place to live without adequate funding. One does remember a vlog where young travelling Trotter and SJ were here in London. They did a spot of shopping in inexpensive shops like Zara and H&M, then proceeded to eat dinner in her flat, as they had spent what they had available,- and so went to party at a private club. The cash flow can't have been that healthy prior to the vlog taking off. London would definitely not be easy for her then, with her expensive taste.:rolleyes: Also she does not live in a particularly desirable area. Not a terribly bad area, but not good. Her little flat looked a bit shabby too. Her best bet in London would be to marry well. Interesting why she did not land that one. SJ does seem to often having been funded by her friends, ex'es, and boyfriends, getting away with that as she brings fun to the table. Lalande is a much better stage than London for SJ, and with the vlogs almost world domination!:ROFLMAO: Smart cookie.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Clara Burnett

VIP Member
Tell me more. Tell me more 🎶 🎵 🎶
He arrived at the chateau with a friend, both as volunteers, both terribly drunk, the friend way more out of control apparently, driving Isabelle insane with his rudeness. SJ used her charm on Nordic Weirdo to stoke between the friends, forcing the friend out. Nordic Weirdo, who was a professional online gambler, stayed for almost a year.

• Wow
  • Haha

babyrocks

Interesting. I wonder how many of Lalandes new crew are reading about this for the first time today?
(Hey guys! 👋)
Yes reading all this for the first time today.....and totally NOT surprised. I have felt all along that something was just not right about the whole Lalande saga. So many other chateau owners have made it their priority to get their properties renovated and brought to current standards for heating, plumbing , safety etc. especially if you are going to operate as a business for paying guests. I wish all the Lalande cultists knew this backstory and have their eyes opened to how they are being sucked dry by this manipulative piece of work. Every time a vlog goes up as a premiere they are there with donations as well as the ongoing patreon payments that are now up to approx. $24k per month. Thank you all for your insight and exposure of the facts.

• Heart
if I was managing her social, would find that sweet spot and hit it hard. Catholicism, Selmar, cute animals, family traditions, and skip the singing to put the halo back on firmly. Day trip with Selmar to see his favorite part of the area with Diesel. Leave Puff the Magic Dragon at the Chat toe. Donate a basket of goodies to the local medical staff on front line.

Going to look for my bag of euros I will wear birkenstocks with nasty white socks during the visit
Now you've blown your cover. They'll recognise you.
I don't think she's ever said that she is personally poverty stricken. She has however said that she doesn't have the money to do all the expensive renovations on the chateau that she'd like to. Two different things. And I'll say it again; people do not have to send her money - they can watch for free all day long.
I'm guessing you didn't see the original Escape to the Chateau episode where Dick Strawbridge turns up to 'help' Stephanie with the boiler for mummy's apartment. You know the one where some old broken down bit of equipment can't be saved & then Stephanie shows him her personal heating equipment of hot water bottle strapped to her body to keep warm. Guessing that might make people think she's a bit strapped for cash?

• Haha

Dublindevil

Hi Guys, Have been catching up on these threads for a number of weeks and so enjoying them. Followed Chateau Diaries for about 18 months. It's been a guilty pleasure of a mad lifestyle far removed from our normal lifestyle of family, work, kids etc. But by god as her numbers of (in particular American) followers flourished the content has gone the opposite direction.

I keep telling myself I'll stop watching and certainly have not seen the cadeaux at all but it's like at itch you cant help scratching and saying all the same things as you guys silently!!!!

Couldnt sleep the other night and noticed Brenda posted her rant at around 4am.... was that on purpose I wonder and she definitely must have got her knuckles slapped as hasnt posted anything since.

Thanks again for the laughs and nice to know lots of like minded people still cant help watching...

• Heart

Raspberrybrulee

My suggestion for the name of the new thread is The Chateau Diaries #9 - I'd rather be a Micky Dodger than an Edmond Fokker

• Haha
  • Heart