Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

billybudd

VIP Member
The UN is in Gaza, is monitoring and calling for the end of the Israeli blockade, and power turnoff, as well as asking the Israelis to stop insisting the hostages be released before any humanitarian aid is allowed.
WHO in Gaza and Hospital Supplies
Jerusalem Post raises questions about cutting off electricity, water, fuel, medical supplies to Gaza.
World Health Association warns Gaza hospitals are running out of supplies and is gravely concerned over the health of the hostages.

• Sad
Reactions: 9

Gertrude Maud

VIP Member
Happy anniversary, Fanny!

View attachment 2515450
Another example:

Cary Grant and Randolph Scott

'Randolph Scott married twice. In 1936 he became the second husband of heiress Marion duPont, daughter of William du Pont Sr., and great-granddaughter of Éleuthère Irénée du Pont de Nemours, the founder of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company. Marion had previously married George Somerville, with Scott serving as best man at the wedding. The Scotts' marriage ended in divorce three years later. The union produced no children. Though divorced, she kept his last name nearly five decades until her death in 1983.[40]

In 1944 Scott married the actress Patricia Stillman, who was 21 years his junior. In 1950 they adopted two children, Sandra and Christopher.[41]

Although Scott achieved fame as a motion picture actor, he managed to stay fairly low profile with his private life. Offscreen he was a good friend of Fred Astaire and Cary Grant. He met Grant on the set of Hot Saturday (1932), and shortly afterwards, they moved in together and shared a beach house in Malibu that became known as "Bachelor Hall".[42][43] It is widely rumored that the two were in a romantic relationship at the time.[44][45] Both men and their wives and families have repeatedly denied these rumors. However, Richard Blackwell, then an actor at RKO, and photographer Jerome Zerbe, who shot a series of publicity photographs of the couple in their home, both claimed to have slept with the pair; Blackwell wrote in his autobiography that Grant and Scott "were deeply, madly in love, their devotion was complete."[46][47] In 1944 Scott and Grant stopped living together, but they remained close friends for the rest of their lives.[32]'

Pyke

VIP Member
The Truth for a change from Fanny. However Note the crash date Friday 29th September

UvulaDonor

VIP Member
We recently had a discussion regarding societal issues at work. My direct coworkers are majority black, management mostly white. I was asked to join management but demurred in favor of remaining in the trenches with my friends. One of my coworkers mentioned that as an out gay man I had experienced the same discrimination that he, as a black man, had lived. It never occurred to him that my experience was nothing like his, though it was just as ugly. Despite being out, my sexuality doesn’t show on the surface of my skin. Unless I open my mouth and tell you my sexuality, I can “pass”. They cannot. It was a shock to him. I was told later they had never had someone from the white community understand how all consuming and unrelenting racism can be. Sadly it doesn’t matter your skin color, for racism exists across the spectrum. I’ve seen all shades of people hold someone’s race against them. It’s heartbreaking but it’s also an insidiously destructive rot in society.
Studying feminism way back when and understanding gender based discrimination, I often draw parallels with race. For most women, we are identifiable visually. Even in today's climate and working for the government where discrimination and unconscious bias is banged on about continually, I see how men are treated differently from women. I would be bold enough to state that this is more apparent than race based discrimination and I work with mostly Maori, Pasifica and Indian people with a bunch of others thrown in there.

• Heart

marthamilligancef

Chatty Member
Why, oh why did I watch the lastest vlog :eek: It featured two of my least favourite things. One was Stuart, on her usual OTT form, fawning over MairA's slush, and the other (and I apologise to any Scottish people on here), were the bloody bagpipes. I cannot stand the noise that comes out of them, and whilst I acknowledge the skill needed to play them well, for me, the noise is akin to finger nails being run down a blackboard. Awful.

Still, could be worse. Could have been Gerry playing them in the kitchen with Stuart et al :eek:
I thought that was Chloe Im really confused now! 🤔

billybudd

VIP Member
Your story of your gran brought up memories of my Nana. At the age of thirteen, she was THE cook of her dad's logging camp. She was the most competent, cheerful, and beautiful woman who could make a feast out of foraged foods, vegetables and fruits from the family garden and, of course, wild game hunted by any able bodied family member. Unlike any of the so called cooks or chefs from The Dump, she could make delicious meals without using a recipe. She could also make clothes without using a pattern. She was a true pioneer woman!
I have a whole library of books and cookbooks by such women. Such a story!!!! Two of the best.
Ree Drummond is a real cook with a fine palate, and some technique, I think. But the only meals of hers I like are the ones she cooks for the cowboys. Biscuits, pinto beans, no vegetables and acres of beef. I'd die if I ate this stuff but the whole fantasy of feeding hard-working men in tight jeans is compelling.
These ones are really, really good. I make them like once every three years, that's how much of a biscuit-eating people we are. But imagine, with sausage gravy, poached eggs, beans, pico de gallo....

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Luna20

VIP Member
I’d probably double the roof m2 estimate. He’ll have quite a lot of steep angles and I believe he has a tower, all adding to the cost. Would pay to think about insulation at this point, does this affect the roof design - most probably. Don’t forget scaffold to put up/down and rental and any business would be using a crane. Concrete pump wagon to get the concrete up four floors to pour the ceinture. Zinc weathering and down pipes, hand shaped guttering. He’ll need the best part of 150-200k for the roof alone if using professional s. It would require a team of tradespeople and the business would expect a substantial profit on top.
This would be the cost for the whole crispy chateau?

My wild guestimate of 70m2 was based on the area he is working on. The rest of the walls aren't secure to put a roof on it. One wonders if the walls he build are actually safe too.

Imperious Me

VIP Member
I wasn’t aware that I singled whites out as having it easy, au contraire. I have seen and heard more horror stories than most in my career. I have had a vantage point that didn’t allow for wearing blinders. The crimes and atrocities had little to do with wealth but a lot to do with poverty. Although those that have wealth can often buy their way out. That’s the difference. Just watching the news is evidence that we have a long way to go to reach equality for all. So I say…bitch away. “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble': Rep. John Lewis.
No I'm not saying you singled anyone out, just saying people need to just live their lives without shouting it and complaining about not being heard...

• Wow
  • Heart

Kalessi

Chatty Member
Over at Linda Vater's old place, Sydney's not kidding when she calls it . . . the backyard rip out.
Sydney is using the slash and burn approach. She's really going for it.
I've noticed she now refers to Linda Vater as 'the previous owner'.
Maybe they are no longer besties.
Anyway, I admire Sydney for doing things her way and making it 'her' garden, not seeing it a shrine to Linda.
I agree about Sydney. I can’t bring myself to watch her vlog though. Personally, I find she drones on ad nauseam. But, kudos to her for making changes to the place. I would imagine that when she ripped out the potager she and Linda parted ways.

• Heart

billybudd

VIP Member
I was just reflecting with a friend today on the status of problematic history, slavery, inequity, colonization, and exploitation. My observation is that any country today became such from someone showing up and conquering somebody, that anyone rich more than likely took advantage of someone or some group or class to obtain or steal their wealth, and that the cycle never seems to end. It doesn’t solve anything to point that out, but it does make it a little less astonishing, and therefore less stressful to think about. I’m tired. Can you tell? 🤣
Somebody who has actually read the Bible was telling me about Joshua whipping the asses of the Canaanites 5000 years ago. Chicken or egg, it's long past time it all went away.

• Heart

billybudd

VIP Member
A derail.
Yesh Din: Israeli Human Rights Org Working for Palestinians Under Occupation/#PeaceInGaza
Finally found a brotherhood organization I'm willing to give money to.
Here's their About page.

M&MsMom

VIP Member
I agree about Sydney. I can’t bring myself to watch her vlog though. Personally, I find she drones on ad nauseam. But, kudos to her for making changes to the place. I would imagine that when she ripped out the potager she and Linda parted ways.
I feel the same way when I try and watch Sydney! I hardly ever watch the whole thing start to finish anymore - the most I can do is watch the beginning to see what's up and maybe skip forward to see if there's anything else new.

I think the back looks more dramatic because Sydney ripped out all of the artificial turf because she said her dogs were sensitive to it or it hurt their paws or something. Just yesterday, I read an article about artificial turf, which I didn't realize was "a thing". Apparently, when a lot of people were at home at the beginning of the pandemic, they put in artificial turf so they wouldn't have to spend time caring for it or so that they could look out and always see "green". Now, they're taking it out because they are realizing it isn't as carefree as they thought it would be and that you still have to maintain it. Things like small sticks, leaves, any sort of garden debris that would normally break down and be a part of the soil, has to be removed - even vacuumed - because it has nowhere to go.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7

UvulaDonor

VIP Member
Is he a smoker aswell? What a wonderful combination. Is this why he's ill so often these days.
Another thought, could there be any asbestos in that place. Mr Spratt says it was used back in the day for heating pipe insulation, particularly in cellars.
Wow I've just gone down the rabbit hole of asbestos in Europe - it wasn't banned until 1997 in France! Height of asbestos use was 1970s.
When was the crumbly chateau built? It is negligible that is has asbestos if 1910/1920ish.
Lime dust isn't so much of a problem; it's silica in cement that causing lung damage - apparently silica is the asbestos of now.

Reactions: 6

graciemckitten

VIP Member
Off topic:

My niece and I are watching the Elvis movie. If you want to see some video of the real Elvis Presley (young and older throughout his entire career), singing and dancing, you may want to check out these videos which are complied of clips from performances and music. It has many segments of the actual concert/tv/ film footage of Elvis that was replicated by the actor in the Elvis film interspersed thru the videos,You can easily skip from clip to clip. If you watched the film, you might like the videos below.

The 1968 special clip of the real Elvis singing if I can Dream..

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6

billybudd

VIP Member
This time of year my gran would do rotating hunt boards with a variety of terrines, cold meats, cheeses and rustic breads. Along with plenty of warm, spiced ciders to wash it down with. This was wild game season for us and any adult who could shoot straight was out filling the larder. Incidentally, mom was the best shot in the family. She shot skeet weekly with several different caliber handguns to keep her skills up.
Game, always a luscious choice.

• Heart
Reactions: 5