The Chateau Diaries #108 Crazy, strange, eyes wide shut, in the middle of nowhere

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Comments from CD's latest flog...

The Chateau Diaries
8 hours ago
Hi Dan, I realise you’re not one of our patrons, so you don’t have the same information that they have. My patrons do know that I’m employing many people from the patreon account. It costs me well over €15,000 per month to employ Ian, Amaury, Dan, Kirsty, Nick the Tree Surgeon, Matt, etc. (Nati, Philip, Mary Poppins and Dave are employed, not by Patreon, but from my YouTube revenue). The rest of the monthly account is for materials, equipment (digger, etc), panelling, wallpaper - anything fixed (no furniture). The rest is put aside for the lake fund. As my patrons know, no patreon funds are used towards my travels, clothes, etc. It’s only for work being done to the chateau, including the wages of those working on the chateau. Patreon does not cover any of the chateau’s running costs, which are paid for by me from my YouTube revenue. Sadly, far from lying in bed all day, I spend my time making as many videos as possible in order to renovate Lalande and continue to pay everyone’s wages. I used to do much more physical work around the chateau, but, as you can imagine, my job is now to provide content through filming and editing, to keep everyone around me in work.
Well, that was the closest she's come to explaining ... but she says she pays them from Patreon, then she says she pays them from YT .... so does she even know where they are paid from?

This is pretty defensive for her ... wonder if PJ wrote this ....

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
It costs me well over €15,000 per month to employ Ian, Amaury, Dan, Kirsty, Nick the Tree Surgeon, Matt, etc.
She's paying each of these people an average of 3000 euros a month? Really? Dan won't be doing too badly if he's earning around 36000 euros pa

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
I think it costs her, as an employer, a lot more that the amount of their wages. Probably double, for France (social security contributions etc). Hopefully, I won't get in trouble here for saying 'I think' and 'probably' 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Attic Treasure, going back a while: when SJ (the pageboy in attendance, natch) was skipping around what was to become Narnia of a Thousand Armoires and discussing ideas about the raised floor, etc, with Ian, they stumbled upon a rather delapidated but obviously "good" armchair, one of the myriad things left behind by the Marquis. I seem to remember it was cane-seated and possibly leather-backed. It looked the sort of chair one might use at a desk in an Estate office or study. It was clearly an antique (I forget which period - and, no, I don't have a screenshot from the relevant vlog to submit here as Exhibit A) and, while not an important find, definitely worth undergoing professional restoration.

SJ, who never falls to disappoint with her displays of all-encompassing lack of knowledge, seemed genuinely astonished when Ian told her that there was a local furniture restorer.

Said chair has never been seen since. It would be a much better memento of the de Nadallac years than an obsolete television set.
Does Fanny think keeping that old TV is more dignified than ruining the whole Nadaillac farmhouse..? i have the feeling the Nadaillacs could care less..they got their money...btw far too much for that farmhouse in the first place...i think those tears they shed were tears of joy..

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
I think it costs her, as an employer, a lot more that the amount of their wages. Probably double, for France (social security contributions etc). Hopefully, I won't get in trouble here for saying 'I think' and 'probably' 😉
Didn't @Clara say that Fanny doesn't get involved in social security contributions etc and leaves it to individuals to sort themselves out?

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Well, that was the closest she's come to explaining ... but she says she pays them from Patreon, then she says she pays them from YT .... so does she even know where they are paid from?

This is pretty defensive for her ... wonder if PJ wrote this ....
That's what I was thinking. I'm actually surprised that those questions in the comment section weren't deleted.

Reactions: 26
Tea??? Looks like the THC has kicked in...

View attachment 1004682
@life_wood_n_food
17 hours ago
Who would of thought a European would love mate from the get go and now can't get enough Quien iba a pensar que un Europeo amaría tanto el mate desde su primer prueba y ahora no puede parar! 🤪 #mates #argentina🇦🇷 #tierradelfuego #nationaldrink #holidays #vacaciones #vacation #life #love #laughter #familytime #newexperiences

@bogladyinthesods
Mate is the bomba! Loved getting an iced mate soy latte at Center Camp at Burning Man...
did you al have a good look at that disgusting cup...yuk :sick:

• Sick
Reactions: 15
Didn't @Clara say that Fanny doesn't get involved in social security contributions etc and leaves it to individuals to sort themselves out?
I don't know what actually goes on there, but I'm just pointing out those extra costs to the employer, and they aren't optional.

Reactions: 11
The Chateau Diaries
8 hours ago
Hi Dan, I realise you’re not one of our patrons, so you don’t have the same information that they have. My patrons do know that I’m employing many people from the patreon account. It costs me well over €15,000 per month to employ Ian, Amaury, Dan, Kirsty, Nick the Tree Surgeon, Matt, etc. (Nati, Philip, Mary Poppins and Dave are employed, not by Patreon, but from my YouTube revenue). The rest of the monthly account is for materials, equipment (digger, etc), panelling, wallpaper - anything fixed (no furniture). The rest is put aside for the lake fund. As my patrons know, no patreon funds are used towards my travels, clothes, etc. It’s only for work being done to the chateau, including the wages of those working on the chateau. Patreon does not cover any of the chateau’s running costs, which are paid for by me from my YouTube revenue. Sadly, far from lying in bed all day, I spend my time making as many videos as possible in order to renovate Lalande and continue to pay everyone’s wages. I used to do much more physical work around the chateau, but, as you can imagine, my job is now to provide content through filming and editing, to keep everyone around me in work.
Thank you @KiKiGee for posting.

So she’s been spooked - finding it hard to justify your holiday to SA whilst you’re still receiving dollar for renovations?

A lengthy défense too from our Don Jarvis - all hands to panic stations - haha.

SJ, as a former patreon, and current observer via Mojo, I still don’t know how much is going on salaries. We still don’t know about the cost of materials, equipment, panelling and wallpaper - anything fixed. If you’d care to declare your receipts as you’re obliged to do, being an association, you may well avoid this high level of scrutiny, but then again you maybe under even more… Being disorganised with your receipts for your accountant is not only disrespectful for the accountant, but also to your patreons, who expect you to honour your commitments on time and thoroughly. What I’m gathering from Don Jarvis’s response is that the monthly sum is still not substantial enough to see major improvements since she has so many overheads. SJ, maybe you need to look at your employees, and anything fixed (lol), to see whether they are truly cost effective. A long overdue project manager is needed - with a master plan that’s adhered to.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Another question is why did she buy those ugly chairs for the Wedgwood lobby when she had chairs in the attic!
when you have to much crap..you dont even know what you actually have...or not even able to find it...have to say..i know the feeling...i have bought so many tools...because somebody put it away in the wrong place..or left it somewhere..i sometimes find tools in the most strange places..not that i have put them there...and when i ask..nobody knows about it....having staff....its a nightmare sometimes..but doing without..not possible..

Reactions: 30
First, thank you for prefacing with your intentions. I do think there has been some misunderstandings in tone and attitude which led to some push back. Anyway, I suppose youre right. I'm not a Patron and was under the assumption that she has gone through projects planned with vague numbers but I must be thinking of that darn target list... Seems that did a fine job in confusing some that she's gone over financials before. After her mentioning the accountants , she got questions and answered one on a live chat or YouTube comments that she'd provide a report (not sure of exact words and I know I'm not imagining this one! lol Someone else here must recall this also?). I will see if I can search for that on here as I believe it was copied here, but not certain. But obviously saying she would doesn't mean she will. I guess I try to still have some faith in people, rightly or wrongly. I know , I know in this case wrongly.
Update from Lalande & Janssen's Temptation!
Capture.PNG

Believe it when we see it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Just watched Dan’s latest vlog…using the digger to clear a path in the woods, using fallen trees to mark the path boundaries, spreading the wood chips, and then getting to work on the pergola. I know there’s the “Dan fans” and “Dan detractors” here…but, whether you like him or not, I have to admire that he’s actually getting things done and making progress. It’s so refreshing to see that.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
i really have the feeling those people dont even enjoy the parties...its all to get attention..take pics and put them on social media..i can tell you..we had some marvellous parties here...but none of it ended up on social media..if one guest would have tried to dare it..they all know this..there will be no more invitations..

• Heart
Reactions: 30

The Chateau Diaries
8 hours ago
Hi Dan, I realise you’re not one of our patrons, so you don’t have the same information that they have. My patrons do know that I’m employing many people from the Patreon account. It costs me well over €15,000 per month to employ Ian, Amaury, Dan, Kirsty, Nick the Tree Surgeon, Matt, etc. (Nati, Philip, Mary Poppins and Dave are employed, not by Patreon, but from my YouTube revenue). The rest of the monthly account is for materials, equipment (digger, etc), paneling, wallpaper - anything fixed (no furniture). The rest is put aside for the lake fund. As my patrons know, no Patreon funds are used towards my travels, clothes, etc. It’s only for work being done to the chateau, including the wages of those working on the chateau. Patreon does not cover any of the chateau’s running costs, which are paid for by me from my YouTube revenue. Sadly, far from lying in bed all day, I spend my time making as many videos as possible in order to renovate Lalande and continue to pay everyone’s wages. I used to do much more physical work around the chateau, but, as you can imagine, my job is now to provide content through filming and editing, to keep everyone around me in work.
Oooh, someone is defensive.

"I work hard."
"I employ people (using other people's money)!"
"I work really hard to keep food on other people's tables."
"I work really hard
."
rALBJrJ.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Ian, Matt and the tree surgeon are self-employed. They pay their own social charges. Dan is supposed to be self-employed too but who knows. Kirsty is certainly not a full-time employee at Lalande.

PS : Who is Dave ??

Reactions: 23
Dan Ellis-Jones
17 hours ago
Although it's interesting to see you doing cleaning up, the stark difference between Dan actually doing repairs and renovations, and you lying in bed and spending hours just looking at things is jarring to me. I guess you need to save up patreon money for big projects, but it would be good to see actual renovations that patreon money is funding. You're in the top 100 patreon accounts in the world aren't you? I know it's happened quickly, but you do need to be more transparent where this money is going.
Cynthia Lambert
16 hours ago
Huh? She goes over and over the projects and frequently makes the rounds showing what is being done. Have you actually watched her vlogs? There are a million repairs and renovations going on there.

Dan Ellis-Jones
16 hours ago
@Cynthia Lambert Not really in comparison to the level of monthly income. My whole house could be renovated with the money she has each month, and has had every month for 2? Years. 18 months definitely. What's been done that's had any big cost? The bathroom was pointlessly expensive. And look at what other chateau owners have done in the same time. Even look at Dan and his place. He definitely has far less YouTube income. And I know any property in London in zone 1 or 2 is AT LEAST £1M.
Kelly Hawes
16 hours ago (edited)
@Dan Ellis-Jones None of us know how much it actually costs to maintain such a large chateau , and pay Dan, Ian,Ian, Nick, Kirsty and others that come to work on both the inside and outside of the chateau. Although we haven't seen much of the work on Gerry's and Michaels apartments, Nati's apartment they are on going. And she has told us she is setting aside money for the chapel restoration as well as the work she had done on the stained glass.

Dan Ellis-Jones
16 hours ago
@Kelly Hawes One of my points is that we SHOULD know. At least Patrons should know. She's getting €30,000 or so each month. She's said it's being spent on renovations. So not salaries, not holidays, not new clothes or china. Philipp and Anna at Fluerie have 1 person. Ed and Anna have 1 person. Stephanie has volunteers. And some people. Now Kirsty and Dan, and some others - if they're being paid from patreon, that's great. But SJ needs to say so.

Kelly Hawes
15 hours ago
@Dan Ellis-Jones I understand your point, but I do think the Patrons do know( I am not one unfortunately) Perhaps you should ask her yourself?

Dan Ellis-Jones
15 hours ago
@Kelly Hawes I think patreon is great. I think micro payments for content makers is great. It takes time and effort to create content. Stephanie makes huge amounts of content. And paying a bit to help save a chateau is fine - if you have spare cash. But SJ has now got significant wealth from patreons, and to be frank, there's not the work being done to warrant it. Also €4k wallpaper is not money well spent. I just want to see or hear about that money being spent on real renovations. There were real works last year, but now nothing. The garden work probably cost about 1 or 2 months patreon, Max. It's difficult. I'd be freaking out a bit if I suddenly got €10k a month from people I didn't know. Tax implications. Moral implications. Temptation to use it on some nice things. It's not easy to just gain wealth like that
B Jorgensen
15 hours ago
@Dan Ellis-Jones are you a patron? Stephanie reviews the budget/finance project plans in her patron videos.

The Chateau Diaries
8 hours ago
LaReyne
6 hours ago
What I can tell from watching the videos the last couple of years, is she does a fair few late nights editing videos to make sure she delivers on time. So I reckon she's allowed some lie-ins. Though some people are just nighthawks. I've pals who are software developers who seem to do a lot of work in the middle of the night. Maybe cos it's the only time they can get peace to concentrate.
B Jorgensen
19 minutes ago
@LaReyne wow! I'm glad nobody is critiquing my sleep schedule! What is the concern about? People need to find something else to worry about!
LaReyne
14 minutes ago
@B Jorgensen Truth.
This needs to be in wiki ....

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I’ll bet during the warm summer months- the ancient upholstery heats up and smells much like that lady with her beaver in the creek

Snorts is soo gross
hahhahaa your surely right...dont forget all that Emmaus stuff..i must all smell like dead people or a grannyfarm.......have to say our house also smells like centuries ago..a bit like a museum...i dont smell it anymore..and some visitors seem to like it..but the fact is you cant get rid of it..not even fresh air or cleaning will help..

• Heart
Reactions: 18
They are indeed a real band from the late 90s early 2000’s- swing band stuff- again , totally staged but hilarious nonetheless😂😂
I'm pretty sure that's what drag queens use to hide their tuck.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.