The Chateau Diaries #108 Crazy, strange, eyes wide shut, in the middle of nowhere

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not sure how much motivation SJ needs, but Squirrelboy loves nothing more than a good brocante/antique shop and appears to encourage her spending habits. Snorty's certainly never going to restore a chair himself.
I’ll bet during the warm summer months- the ancient upholstery heats up and smells much like that lady with her beaver in the creek

Snorts is soo gross

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
Well.

So, I've stumbled across this site by accident and realised this was the so-called hate site the MP called out in his vlog. I started reading it out of curiosity and for the past month or so, I have to say, I found the gossip here is far more entertaining than watching The Chateau Diaries.

Full disclosure, I don't watch TCD. I find the vlogs dull and aimless. There's no...entertainment factor. It's just a person bringing their phone around with them constantly and filming everything. Just because SJ vlogs...doesn't actually mean there's anything worth vlogging. The Pethricks have the same problem. I watch youtube to be entertained. And watching people going about their daily lives is not entertaining, at all.

Anyway, all this brings me to the reason why I'm posting today (my original plan was to lurk forever. Oh well). I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, but as of today, the Fleuries have passed SJ in subscriber count.

Ever since the BBC published the article about French chateau owners using Youtube to pay for their chateau, SJ has gained 3K subscribers and the Fleuries...have gained 46K. And, they're still going. In fact, I've started noticing the Fleuries gaining more views and subscribers in the last week or so. You'd almost say they're going semi-viral. Their 2 years looking back video has gone past 1 million views and, in comparison, SJ's 'How Youtube is renovating my chateau' is sitting at 158K.

So why are the two channels, both chateau channels, and both featured on the BBC article, having such different responses? Well, if you asked me, one has content and actual direction in the vlogs (however boring the Fleuries may be) and the other is kinda aimless, plotless and pointless. When I bake a cake, however long the process, at the end, I want to be able to eat a cake. Watching SJ's vlog doesn't make me feel like I'm getting a cake.

Uh, anyway, enough talking about cake....back to the original question that sparked this post.

There's been a lot of discussion about SJ getting her comeuppance - losing her patrons, the scales falling off the eyes of her fans or the tax man come collecting. I had a thought, what if it's none of the above? What if her viewers and patrons simply...lose interest? Will her superfans and patrons hold on until the end of time? Or will they gradually lose interest as they realise that every video is just life, love and laughter on repeat?

(On the side note, as I was typing this, I realised the BBC didn't use the title 'Save their chateau' as SJ does but rather, they say 'to pay for their chateau'. I think they see past the bullshit, just like Tattlers do.)
Hi and welcome, thank you for your post. I totally agree and am looking forward to the day she gets ignored instead of adored. That day can't come soon enough and will be bittersweet, a fitting revenge for what she's done to others. However, she has a habit in live in general to always land on her feet and I'm sure she'll find a way out of that one too, so I still gladly put my money on Monsieur Tax, as he will hit her where it hurts the most. Maybe after that, her crowd can look away and thus create a second fall, that would be a-m-a-z-ing!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
There's been a lot of discussion about SJ getting her comeuppance - losing her patrons, the scales falling off the eyes of her fans or the tax man come collecting. I had a thought, what if it's none of the above? What if her viewers and patrons simply...lose interest? Will her superfans and patrons hold on until the end of time? Or will they gradually lose interest as they realise that every video is just life, love and laughter on repeat?
Welcome to posting! Great first post!

You make an excellent point! I was a patron of SJ for 6 month ish, and I left out of boredom! I thought, how many vlogs of the same person doing the same stuff can I watch? She puts out enough on YouTube, who needs another video a week? I totally saw Patreon like a magazine subscription, not as contributing to the restoration, I wasn't invested in it from that point of view. So I cancelled my subscription. And I stopped watching ads that I could skip on YT. This was all months before I found Tattle. I think people like me should be SJ's worst nightmare ... for someone with her need for attention and being fawned over to be told you're actually boring me ... well, that's got to hurt. I'm not the only one who has gotten bored, nor the last one ... TICK TOCK!

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Just took a quick look at SJ's newest video, why she needs to film herself in bed is beyond me. It's so cringe. And acting like they just discovered all of this junk. Looks like she's running out of content.

• Wow
Reactions: 31
Watch Casey Neistat, Dan admires him.
Dan thinks it looks cool and "in" to behave casually as if he doesn't care about anything and his "slick" way of talking quickly and casually is the same. When he was first in SJ's vlogs and when he first started his channel, he was more natural and more likeable. He still showed his dry sense of humour with witty remarks and he seemed capable of being amusing at the same time as appearing sensible and hard-working. He is now acting for the camera, doing what he thinks will be popular instead of being his natural self which Annalise manages to do well. He should forget the well-known "influencers" and just be his natural self again. This new self doesn't seem like the real Dan who is more responsible. He is much better when he is with Amaury who seems to act naturally on camera and can be both sensible and funny. Dan has had a lot of positive feedback; he completes a lot of work in a short time and he has filming skills but if he is not careful, he will lose some supporters who are put off by this attempt to look cool. He also needs to tone down his remarks about Steph and the state of the chateau. It's almost as though he's doing it especially for Tattlers. We know what state LL is in and we know why, and what SJ is like; he could show it without making such an obvious attempt to highlight the faults. It's as though he doesn't want us to associate him with her but she is still his employer despite being so annoying, and people risk losing their jobs if they make their feelings about their employer so public. If he doesn't lose his job, he could be banned from filming at LL and there's a limit to how long he can go on filming himself plastering walls, etc., at his home and visiting Brico. The people who come across best on YT are the ones who show their real selves, not those, like SJ, who put on an act especially for the camera. The longer she has been on YT, the worse she has become. Dan needs to be aware of that as it would be a shame if he deteriorated in a similar way.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Attic Treasure, going back a while: when SJ (the pageboy in attendance, natch) was skipping around what was to become Narnia of a Thousand Armoires and discussing ideas about the raised floor, etc, with Ian, they stumbled upon a rather delapidated but obviously "good" armchair, one of the myriad things left behind by the Marquis. I seem to remember it was cane-seated and possibly leather-backed. It looked the sort of chair one might use at a desk in an Estate office or study. It was clearly an antique (I forget which period - and, no, I don't have a screenshot from the relevant vlog to submit here as Exhibit A) and, while not an important find, definitely worth undergoing professional restoration.

SJ, who never falls to disappoint with her displays of all-encompassing lack of knowledge, seemed genuinely astonished when Ian told her that there was a local furniture restorer.

Said chair has never been seen since. It would be a much better memento of the de Nadallac years than an obsolete television set.
Where is the shaking head emoji? So she finally found something in the Shittoo that was worth keeping and restoring and she couldn't be bothered...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
It was an fauteuil gondole Empire (Napoleon 1) and canned. What a shame to see this (real) antique left in the dust and forgotten in the attic !
It's just another example that proves how fake she is when she pretends to know about history, art, and antiques. She only likes gaudy, flashy things .

Another question is why did she buy those ugly chairs for the Wedgwood lobby when she had chairs in the attic!
Because she buys what she wants, not what she needs.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Maybe someone will do the world a favour and 'accidently' it drop while moving it. My money's on Potty for revenge after not being allowed to keep the mirror tiles.
So Neither Gerry or Natti need a mirror in their apartment? How about one near the costume closet it could reflect some light. Didn’t the big ring wearing architect want to mirror the lawn to pretend it was water.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Poor Anmuary - his 'honey do' list got longer with every piece of wood SJ touched in the attic. He now has to::
- build a new window frame
- build bottom for a large dresser
- repair broken down side table
- build new table top for old billiard table legs
- repair window shutters
- build replacement moulding
At this rate Anmuary isn't going to have any chance of finishing the Grand Salon, especially by April. He should stay in Argentina!
...yeah...he’s screwed...

...also...found it interesting how assertive and bossy she was...no flightiness, none of the stupid random laughing...or acting dim...routine. imagine this is truer to her real persona...very much like the old battle axe.

...and Potts is such a wimp..all he wanted to do was get the hell out of there and bake his bread. I make bread myself...so...not knocking bread baking...but he is a zero...no testosterone at all.

...no balls Potts...whenever she said what’s up...he got all wide eyed...and slinked away...did what he was told...laughable...SJ for sure rules that dump...felt a wee bit of respect for the chick...😎

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Knowing nothing about Carnival I’ve been googling.
I love Venice but once visited when the Carnival was on. It was the very worst time to go as it was packed to the hilt. They even had to herd people (like sheep!) down the alleyways in single file when at other times, it's a normal two-way system so you can walk up and down and go wherever you like. We only saw a very few really stunning historical costumes worn by Italians. The majority of people were tourists wearing souvenir masks and dressed in trashy costumes. Carnival must have been wonderful hundreds of years ago. I love Venice at other times of the year as it's so special and beautiful, quite different from any other city but you need to explore all of it and get away from the tourist spots once you've seen them. Tourism and tacky souvenir stalls spoil that wonderful city. I'm sure if you can afford to rent a beautiful palazzo or stay in the very best hotels and spend hours just sitting in the Caffe Florian, you would probably see some more spectacular Carnival costumes but if you hate crowds, as I do, give the Carnival a miss!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
There is no sense at all in keeping a TV that won't work, no one with any sense would do that even if it belonged to a loved member of your her family, which it didn't
In the state of California where I live, these old tube TVs require you to dispose of them properly, which means you must pay. They have very toxic innards and should not be just dumped. I doubt very much if anything from the shitoo is disposed of properly to comply with environmental laws. So from that standpoint, it's probably best that the damn thing remain where it is. Fanny's lack of social and environmental knowledge and commitment is disgusting. She's a major contributor to the amount of junk piled onto the planet. I noticed Potty was the only one wearing a mask in the toxic attic. And yes, throwing projectiles out the window while laughing hysterically was just plain insane!

Reactions: 27
Keeping that old tv is a prime example of how stupid Stephanie is. Where is she going to put it, who would want to watch it? I’m 100% sure it doesn’t work anymore. How disappointed would you be to pay to stay at LL, then see that tv? What an idiot! “Oh, it honors the previous Marquis, I must keep this outdated tv!” You live in his old family home, fix up it’s rotting guts and keep it clean, that would honor his memory. Idiot.
...she is an absolute nut-job...that tv...that face steamer...that she wanted to Keep??? WTF!!!

...I would’ve paid big bucks for 10 guys to come in hazmat suits to trash the lot of it...save not a damn thing. she has enough mismatched cabinets and old crap...in 3-4 hours it would all have seemed a bad nightmare...done..fini..out...🙄

...filthy as all hell...and you know they didn’t shower or wash their hair...they just wiped the dust off and sat down to eat that pizza...🤮

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
...she is an absolute nut-job...that tv...that face steamer...that she wanted to Keep??? WTF!!!

...I would’ve paid big bucks for 10 guys to come in hazmat suits to trash the lot of it...save not a damn thing. she has enough mismatched cabinets and old crap...in 3-4 hours it would all have seemed a bad nightmare...done..fini..out...🙄

...filthy as all hell...and you know they didn’t shower or wash their hair...they just wiped the dust off and sat down to eat that pizza...🤮
I agree. I LOVE watching a good purge and fun discoveries in hoarder houses ... and Alexander from Curiosity Inc has spoiled me ... and I thought this would be a fun vlog with some fun discoveries, but it was so boring and nothing was even interesting.

The face steamer was particularly ick to keep. Sure, steam all that old dust into your skin, that will help the aging process!! And Phiphi's comment that seniors use those steamers had me laughing! I think he fancies himself an expert on seniors too ... another connection point with SJ who grew up in a nursing home ....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Comments from CD's latest flog...

Dan Ellis-Jones

17 hours ago
Although it's interesting to see you doing cleaning up, the stark difference between Dan actually doing repairs and renovations, and you lying in bed and spending hours just looking at things is jarring to me. I guess you need to save up patreon money for big projects, but it would be good to see actual renovations that patreon money is funding. You're in the top 100 patreon accounts in the world aren't you? I know it's happened quickly, but you do need to be more transparent where this money is going.

Cynthia Lambert

16 hours ago
Huh? She goes over and over the projects and frequently makes the rounds showing what is being done. Have you actually watched her vlogs? There are a million repairs and renovations going on there.

Dan Ellis-Jones
16 hours ago
@Cynthia Lambert Not really in comparison to the level of monthly income. My whole house could be renovated with the money she has each month, and has had every month for 2? Years. 18 months definitely. What's been done that's had any big cost? The bathroom was pointlessly expensive. And look at what other chateau owners have done in the same time. Even look at Dan and his place. He definitely has far less YouTube income. And I know any property in London in zone 1 or 2 is AT LEAST £1M.

Kelly Hawes

16 hours ago (edited)
@Dan Ellis-Jones None of us know how much it actually costs to maintain such a large chateau , and pay Dan, Ian,Ian, Nick, Kirsty and others that come to work on both the inside and outside of the chateau. Although we haven't seen much of the work on Gerry's and Michaels apartments, Nati's apartment they are on going. And she has told us she is setting aside money for the chapel restoration as well as the work she had done on the stained glass.

Dan Ellis-Jones
16 hours ago
@Kelly Hawes One of my points is that we SHOULD know. At least Patrons should know. She's getting €30,000 or so each month. She's said it's being spent on renovations. So not salaries, not holidays, not new clothes or china. Philipp and Anna at Fluerie have 1 person. Ed and Anna have 1 person. Stephanie has volunteers. And some people. Now Kirsty and Dan, and some others - if they're being paid from patreon, that's great. But SJ needs to say so.

Kelly Hawes
15 hours ago
@Dan Ellis-Jones I understand your point, but I do think the Patrons do know( I am not one unfortunately) Perhaps you should ask her yourself?

Dan Ellis-Jones
15 hours ago
@Kelly Hawes I think patreon is great. I think micro payments for content makers is great. It takes time and effort to create content. Stephanie makes huge amounts of content. And paying a bit to help save a chateau is fine - if you have spare cash. But SJ has now got significant wealth from patreons, and to be frank, there's not the work being done to warrant it. Also €4k wallpaper is not money well spent. I just want to see or hear about that money being spent on real renovations. There were real works last year, but now nothing. The garden work probably cost about 1 or 2 months patreon, Max. It's difficult. I'd be freaking out a bit if I suddenly got €10k a month from people I didn't know. Tax implications. Moral implications. Temptation to use it on some nice things. It's not easy to just gain wealth like that

B Jorgensen

15 hours ago
@Dan Ellis-Jones are you a patron? Stephanie reviews the budget/finance project plans in her patron videos.

The Chateau Diaries
8 hours ago
Hi Dan, I realise you’re not one of our patrons, so you don’t have the same information that they have. My patrons do know that I’m employing many people from the patreon account. It costs me well over €15,000 per month to employ Ian, Amaury, Dan, Kirsty, Nick the Tree Surgeon, Matt, etc. (Nati, Philip, Mary Poppins and Dave are employed, not by Patreon, but from my YouTube revenue). The rest of the monthly account is for materials, equipment (digger, etc), panelling, wallpaper - anything fixed (no furniture). The rest is put aside for the lake fund. As my patrons know, no patreon funds are used towards my travels, clothes, etc. It’s only for work being done to the chateau, including the wages of those working on the chateau. Patreon does not cover any of the chateau’s running costs, which are paid for by me from my YouTube revenue. Sadly, far from lying in bed all day, I spend my time making as many videos as possible in order to renovate Lalande and continue to pay everyone’s wages. I used to do much more physical work around the chateau, but, as you can imagine, my job is now to provide content through filming and editing, to keep everyone around me in work.

LaReyne

6 hours ago
What I can tell from watching the videos the last couple of years, is she does a fair few late nights editing videos to make sure she delivers on time. So I reckon she's allowed some lie-ins. Though some people are just nighthawks. I've pals who are software developers who seem to do a lot of work in the middle of the night. Maybe cos it's the only time they can get peace to concentrate.

B Jorgensen

19 minutes ago
@LaReyne wow! I'm glad nobody is critiquing my sleep schedule! What is the concern about? People need to find something else to worry about!

LaReyne

14 minutes ago
@B Jorgensen Truth.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
I wonder if Lilly James stayed at La Gorce. Hard to imagine that she would think the interior was nicer than Highclere castle.
by the look of it..it was her brothers wedding...they seem to be easy satisfied.. 🙄 i dont find it dreamy at all...having that Ed marching around..I would loose my appitite if that talking horse had to serve me something..

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Comments from CD's latest flog...
Dan Ellis-Jones
17 hours ago
Although it's interesting to see you doing cleaning up, the stark difference between Dan actually doing repairs and renovations, and you lying in bed and spending hours just looking at things is jarring to me. I guess you need to save up patreon money for big projects, but it would be good to see actual renovations that patreon money is funding. You're in the top 100 patreon accounts in the world aren't you? I know it's happened quickly, but you do need to be more transparent where this money is going.
Cynthia Lambert
16 hours ago
Huh? She goes over and over the projects and frequently makes the rounds showing what is being done. Have you actually watched her vlogs? There are a million repairs and renovations going on there.

Dan Ellis-Jones
16 hours ago
@Cynthia Lambert Not really in comparison to the level of monthly income. My whole house could be renovated with the money she has each month, and has had every month for 2? Years. 18 months definitely. What's been done that's had any big cost? The bathroom was pointlessly expensive. And look at what other chateau owners have done in the same time. Even look at Dan and his place. He definitely has far less YouTube income. And I know any property in London in zone 1 or 2 is AT LEAST £1M.
Kelly Hawes
16 hours ago (edited)
@Dan Ellis-Jones None of us know how much it actually costs to maintain such a large chateau , and pay Dan, Ian,Ian, Nick, Kirsty and others that come to work on both the inside and outside of the chateau. Although we haven't seen much of the work on Gerry's and Michaels apartments, Nati's apartment they are on going. And she has told us she is setting aside money for the chapel restoration as well as the work she had done on the stained glass.

Dan Ellis-Jones
16 hours ago
@Kelly Hawes One of my points is that we SHOULD know. At least Patrons should know. She's getting €30,000 or so each month. She's said it's being spent on renovations. So not salaries, not holidays, not new clothes or china. Philipp and Anna at Fluerie have 1 person. Ed and Anna have 1 person. Stephanie has volunteers. And some people. Now Kirsty and Dan, and some others - if they're being paid from patreon, that's great. But SJ needs to say so.

Kelly Hawes
15 hours ago
@Dan Ellis-Jones I understand your point, but I do think the Patrons do know( I am not one unfortunately) Perhaps you should ask her yourself?

Dan Ellis-Jones
15 hours ago
@Kelly Hawes I think patreon is great. I think micro payments for content makers is great. It takes time and effort to create content. Stephanie makes huge amounts of content. And paying a bit to help save a chateau is fine - if you have spare cash. But SJ has now got significant wealth from patreons, and to be frank, there's not the work being done to warrant it. Also €4k wallpaper is not money well spent. I just want to see or hear about that money being spent on real renovations. There were real works last year, but now nothing. The garden work probably cost about 1 or 2 months patreon, Max. It's difficult. I'd be freaking out a bit if I suddenly got €10k a month from people I didn't know. Tax implications. Moral implications. Temptation to use it on some nice things. It's not easy to just gain wealth like that
B Jorgensen
15 hours ago
@Dan Ellis-Jones are you a patron? Stephanie reviews the budget/finance project plans in her patron videos.

The Chateau Diaries
8 hours ago
Hi Dan, I realise you’re not one of our patrons, so you don’t have the same information that they have. My patrons do know that I’m employing many people from the patreon account. It costs me well over €15,000 per month to employ Ian, Amaury, Dan, Kirsty, Nick the Tree Surgeon, Matt, etc. (Nati, Philip, Mary Poppins and Dave are employed, not by Patreon, but from my YouTube revenue). The rest of the monthly account is for materials, equipment (digger, etc), panelling, wallpaper - anything fixed (no furniture). The rest is put aside for the lake fund. As my patrons know, no patreon funds are used towards my travels, clothes, etc. It’s only for work being done to the chateau, including the wages of those working on the chateau. Patreon does not cover any of the chateau’s running costs, which are paid for by me from my YouTube revenue. Sadly, far from lying in bed all day, I spend my time making as many videos as possible in order to renovate Lalande and continue to pay everyone’s wages. I used to do much more physical work around the chateau, but, as you can imagine, my job is now to provide content through filming and editing, to keep everyone around me in work.
LaReyne
6 hours ago
What I can tell from watching the videos the last couple of years, is she does a fair few late nights editing videos to make sure she delivers on time. So I reckon she's allowed some lie-ins. Though some people are just nighthawks. I've pals who are software developers who seem to do a lot of work in the middle of the night. Maybe cos it's the only time they can get peace to concentrate.
B Jorgensen
19 minutes ago
@LaReyne wow! I'm glad nobody is critiquing my sleep schedule! What is the concern about? People need to find something else to worry about!
LaReyne
14 minutes ago
@B Jorgensen Truth.
Wow. First time the Chatelaine answers a question about finances on her YouTube comments !
What's happening ??

PS : 15.000 euros per month for people who don't work full-time at the chateau ! I'm no accountant but something is odd, no ?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
The people who come across best on YT are the ones who show their real selves, not those, like SJ, who put on an act especially for the camera. The longer she has been on YT, the worse she has become. Dan needs to be aware of that as it would be a shame if he deteriorated in a similar way.
...and now, SJ is managing what Dan is filming???

272272876_103949452149888_8597041465520869378_n.jpg

6 HOURS AGO
escapetoruralfrance
With the space leading to the pantry finished, me and Stephanie are talking tonight about plans for the rest!
#pantry #dailyvlog #renovation

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
So I wonder who or what lit a fuse under SJ to get the rest of the attic sorted just as she is about to leave for her travels I must say this was one of her more enjoyable vlogs. They have been very few and far between.

What I can’t understand is why people have to keep things in such a mess. There is nothing wrong with keeping things but at least look after them. Store them on shelves. Keep them clean. This way they will at least not deteriorate and keep their value. SJ let go of those light fittings and mirrors way too easily. Not in keeping with her character. The rational behind keeping the TV was BS.

As for the tossing out the window. That was just crazy and so unnecessary. I kept waiting for something to bounce and break a window.

I must say the way they started to organize things into those empty rooms is a good idea and should of been done 18 years ago.
Way behind here so it's probably been said. But when I was watching the last Lady of the Chateau Video they went into a room and there was all old hinges lined up on a table and a shelf of paint, another shelf with leftover tiles etc all very tidy and well organised. That is how the attic or unrenovated room should be not just stand at the door and throw stuff in.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.